Running Bear's Mid-June Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, KARL -- I looked it up after I sent the post -- you are corredt!

An't Google Nice?
Yes indeed!
Runaway_trainposter.jpg

Today I start getting all the documents our lawyer needs in case my wife has to be admitted into a nursing home. There are many on the list. Our birth certificates, marriage license, driver license, military discharge papers, house deed, all bank, retirement, stock accounts. I know I'm forgetting some. She hasn't emailed me the complete list yet.
Swal

Last edited:
Birds: Boy, people think that there are two varieties: hunter or scavenger. Any bird can be both at times. Case in point: I have watched a big Raven pick up a small running animal at take it to a tree to eat. That could be a mouse, shrew ... etc or baby anything at a few pounds. Have seen an Eagle pick up a small animal or fish up to about 10Lbs; although that weight could be greater depending on how big the Eagle is. Note that Ravens can help put a cow down, they start with picking out the eyes, then somebody else does the dirty work - usually coyote, wolf, cat ... etc. Then everybody feeds.

I also found out if you shoot a Raven/Crow/Blackbird dead and leave it in the field, those types of birds will spot it, then not fly over the top, sometimes deviating 100 yards or so to get around. Sooner or later the bugs make it gone, so you get to shoot another.

Later
Actually from what i found out there are three varieties of birds. When i joined the armed forces and went into the basic training the drill instructors would get pissed off sometimes at the slackers. They would call them "sh.t birds-birds that don't fly".

John didn't LLoyds of London go broke?
Swal
I don't think so. But Lloyds is not your run of the mill insurance company like .....Farmers, State Farm, Allstate etc.
My reference is to American companies.

Lloyd's of London, generally known simply as Lloyd's, is a British insurance and reinsurance market located in London, England. Unlike most of its competitors in the industry, it is not an insurance company; rather, Lloyd's is a corporate body governed by the Lloyd's Act 1871 and subsequent Acts of Parliament. It operates as a partially-mutualised marketplace within which multiple financial backers, grouped in syndicates, come together to pool and spread risk. These underwriters, or "members", are a collection of both corporations and private individuals, the latter being traditionally known as "Names".

A lot of the big name insurance companies are pulling out of California to keep from going broke. Of course the intent of any business is not to go broke but make money. However, in my opinion, insurance companies make an "obscene" amount of profit.......at your and my expense.

Last edited:
Summer is officially here today, with the temperature reaching 102° a little while ago. In addition, the Cicadas have returned and last night the June Bugs were out, although not in their usual numbers.
So instead of posting pictures of Tomatoes in bowls on my kitchen table, here's a few from the garden.
IMG_3681.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3683.JPG

These views are just 6 plants out of 60. About half of the others were planted 14 days later than these, so that fruit is not ripening yet. These are full sized tomatoes, not the Cherry Tomato plants. Lots of green ones hidden in there as well.

Good evening. After day of work yesterday in the basement, took the day off today and drove over to Antracite country. What is the only Central Railroad of New Jersey steam locomotive in existence:
20230625_141202.jpg

The steamer is in running order and it was a long family project to restore her to that condition. It's home right now is the old Minersville railroad station. Wide Wooten firebox clearly visible and only few other machines with this firebox have been saved.
20230625_141258.jpg
20230625_141502.jpg
20230625_141542_HDR.jpg

Classic rail station is on a wye and it even sports REA baggage cart on the platform. CRRofNJ is also known as Jersey Central and this shortened name is more commonly used. Jersey Central observation car completes the train;
20230625_141613_HDR.jpg

Morning all,

I was going to answer Snowman's question, but looks like Boris got it. Broadway Joe is who I was going to reply with (Joe Namath).

Didn't go on the trip this morning as I have some kind of lower gut bug. Probably all the fresh stuff I've been eating and my system is trying to throw it off. I picked another round of beans and 2 cucumbers yesterday. We got a yellow and zucchini squash and along with some onion, grilled the veggies along with some chicken breasts for supper. Wife suspects I got a little overheated while mowing yesterday, and that's a possibility. It was 92° while I was mowing. For the first time in a long time, it looks like I finally have worm free apples. I do spray them with a fruit tree spray and malathion mix. sprayed only twice so far. I'd prefer to not spray, as I don't spray the garden or peaches, (somehow they seem to avoid most issues), but I have yet to get any apples from this tree, mostly it seems from my letting them get over-ripe and falling off. There are finally enough of this particular tree, that it seems, they're an early ripening apple, rather than late. Should be ready end of July to the middle of August. That's why the Green June Bug seems to eat them on the tree...they eat rotting organic matter and don't usually do damage to anything green...(except my overripe green skin apples). Turns out this particular tree is also self pollinating, which explains why it always has apples.

BBL...
I have to apologize for a faulty quiz. I could have SWORN Joe Namath was in at least two biker movies, but it was just the one (CC Ryder). I would offer the excuse that I must have seen parts of it several times, and not realized they were all just the one movie...

...which is true...but who would believe me?

Or that I confused Ryder with Rider...duh...and also true, because the second one inspired the first.

So I'll go with my other reason: I was dazzled by Ann Margret, and my brain went into neutral. Also true, and everyone will believe that.

Joe Nameth..He hard sells Medicare C for an undisclosed Insurance agency on "old people TV". Used to sell women's panty hose back in the day, and appeared in a few (bad?) movies. Other's who fill that bill include Joe Montana and Joe Theisman plus a few has been celebrity types.
Or Brian Bosworth, who starred in a couple too.

Back when he still played for the Seattle Seahawks, Seattle and Denver were both in the AFC West. Bosworth being who he is and with his public persona as a braggart being what it was, he openly and happily dissed Denver before one of the upcoming division rivalry games. He laid it on thick, too, and eventually Denver-local TV aired some pieces about how fast the "I hate Brian Bosworth" (or derivatives thereof) T-shirts were both selling and even selling out in the runup to the big game. Hot ticket item, just like the actual game tickets themselves....

But at some point, someone tumbled to the fact that the T-shirt company which "owned" the best slogans was owned by...

...Brian Bosworth. However, apparently all the profits went to a charitable cause, so the "Anti-Boz" fans were fooled, but not fleeced.

There's really no right answer to that question.
Or [apologies in advance to our ladies]...maybe there is.

One of the classics:

Why do men die first? This is a question that has gone unanswered for centuries, but now we know. It requires a bit of explanation, first:
If you put a woman on a pedestal and try to protect her from the rat race ... you're a male chauvinist. If you stay home and do the housework ... you're a pansy. If you work too hard ... there's never any time for her. If you don't work enough ..... you're a good-for-nothing bum. If she has a boring repetitive job with low pay ... this is exploitation. If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay ..... you should get off your lazy behind and find something better. If you get a promotion ahead of her ... that is favoritism. If she gets a job ahead of you ..... its equal opportunity.
If you mention how nice she looks ... its sexual harassment. If you keep quiet ..... its male indifference. If you cry ... you're a wimp. If you don't ..... you're an insensitive ******. If you make a decision without consulting her ...... you're a chauvinist.
If she makes a decision without consulting you, she's a liberated woman. If you ask her to do something she doesn't enjoy ... that's domination. If SHE asks you ... it's a favor. If you appreciate the female form and frilly underwear ..... you're a pervert. If you don't ... you're gay.
If you like a woman to shave her legs and keep in shape ... you're sexist. If you don't ... you're unromantic. If you try to keep yourself in shape ..... you're vain. If you don't ... you're a slob. If you buy her flowers ... you're after something. If you don't ... you're not thoughtful. If you're proud of your achievements ... you're full of yourself. If you don't ... you're not ambitious. If she has a headache ... she's tired. If you have a headache ..... you don't love her anymore. If you want it too often ... you're oversexed. If you don't ... there must be someone else.
----
Why do men die first?
Because they want to.

Good evening. After day of work yesterday in the basement, took the day off today and drove over to Antracite country. What is the only Central Railroad of New Jersey steam locomotive in existence:View attachment 170754
The steamer is in running order and it was a long family project to restore her to that condition. It's home right now is the old Minersville railroad station. Wide Wooten firebox clearly visible and only few other machines with this firebox have been saved.View attachment 170755View attachment 170756View attachment 170757
Classic rail station is on a wye and it even sports REA baggage cart on the platform. CRRofNJ is also known as Jersey Central and this shortened name is more commonly used. Jersey Central observation car completes the train;View attachment 170758
I'm happy the station is still standing. My Dad, and his family were mostly from Minersville. I used to spend my summers there. I remember that station. Used to pass it, when I walked to Seltzer City. I believe the track on the right is / was the (Reading) Good Spring Branch. I'll have to dig out my Reading Timetable. I think the branch is still in use under the R&N. Used to serve the textile factorys and several mines and at least one breaker. Lot of bootleggers would load a hopper off of a truck dump ramp, and sell the load. The CNJ engine is a great find. The Observation looks a little rough. Might have been one of the ones used on the Rush Hour Bayhead trains. It's been years since I was last there, maybe 1977? Regret never exploring the station. Good stuff here...Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back