Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

On a different note, we had our quarterly employee lunch today. I finally won something. A full vacation day...by dollars, it's the big prize. There were 2 1/2 days and several $25 gift cards. The powers that be, as well as myself, had a good laugh as I just had to burn a bunch of hours. They will get applied on the next pay period.
Congratulations on the big win!

Maybe you better pick up a lottery ticket in case the luck continues! :D

Have a safe flight Tom! One of these days I want to go back there. Wife has a niece in Phoenix, she loves Sedona and I want another ride on the Grand Canyon RR.
My brother used to have a place in Cave Creek and he loved the desert. I have played lots of golf in the area but Phoenix, Arizona desert is not for me. I could handle Sedona though, just a magical place!

I am watching the Stanley Cup playoffs streamed to my IPadPro. The Oiler power play is lethal! The Boston Bruins are a bunch of cheap shot artists, cry babies and poor losers…

Hope all the weather issues have missed the Crew. Snow in the Bozeman Pass sounds pretty wicked!

Thanks for the safe flight issues and since we are not on a Boeing plane I feel as good as aI get on planes. As much as I travel, I am a white knuckle flyer. I don’t enjoy it

My brother used to have a place in Cave Creek and he loved the desert. I have played lots of golf in the area but Phoenix, Arizona desert is not for me. I could handle Sedona though, just a magical place!

You get used to it. I was born and lived in the Phoenix area until I was 10. Heat was no problem. Then we moved to Massachusetts and I eventually got used to the humidity. Then going back out west to Utah to go to school and a visit to Arizona and the heat was a bit much. But if you’re not used to it it’s really hot and hard to deal with. (But dry heat is infinitely better than humidity)

OK, I'm confused,
At retail price an eleven-piece set of "no-name" Metric or SAE combination wrenches can be found for under $10 here.

I would guess a reseller buying wholesale would be paying $0.20 to $0.30 per wrench.

I've bought Craftsman brand wrenches wholesale for under $0.50 per wrench. SAE and Metric if you buy enough complete sets.

I was surprised he would pay anything to have you return it. Why have you return it, only to lose more money? It makes better sense to let you "keep it as a gift for your inconvenience" and call it a day.

Unless of course, costs are much higher in the UK, and I am completely wrong. 🤪 That wouldn't be the first time or the last.

Well howdy there internet peeps,

I'll stay out of what is fringing on a political discussion, and instead offer you what the wife wanted for dinner.

With my back, its the walking, or the in-between of sitting/standing that is painful. So we drove 20ish minutes up the highway, and found this:

View attachment 187156

We've got half of that for dinner tomorrow as well.

Made the appointment to take the cheap Jabras back to Costco on Friday. As hearing aids go, they're decent, but not what I need. New ones get picked up on Tuesday.

That pie above is a Geordano's "Pan Pizza. Below this level, they have the cracker like "Thin" pizza. Above it they have the "Stuffed Pizza. Their thin is rather crispy, and not what we're after. The stuffed is tooo thick, but very yummy.

I'm back in my recliner, leaning back on the icepack. Been trying to put it on every hour through most of the day. But I forget and keep it there for most of an hour. So it's been hour on, hour off. Started with 600mg of Ibuprofen. Now, I'm dropping that back, but I'll give myself 400mg right before bed. Hopefully I won't need any tomorrow.

i dug out the wraparound back brace. Going to have to wear it just to remind myself to not bend over.
I loved the Pizza photo, I'm sorry to hear about your back.

For me heat is the best medicine, but that is only my personal experience. I avoid exposing my back to the cold.

Acetaminophen combined with ibuprofen is good for pain. I hope you feel better soon!

At retail price an eleven-piece set of "no-name" Metric or SAE combination wrenches can be found for under $10 here.

I would guess a reseller buying wholesale would be paying $0.20 to $0.30 per wrench.

I've bought Craftsman brand wrenches wholesale for under $0.50 per wrench. SAE and Metric if you buy enough complete sets.

I was surprised he would pay anything to have you return it. Why have you return it, only to lose more money? It makes better sense to let you "keep it as a gift for your inconvenience" and call it a day.

Unless of course, costs are much higher in the UK, and I am completely wrong. 🤪 That wouldn't be the first time or the last.
Yeah, I was surprised he wanted me to return it, it's just a cheap Chinese knockoff, but he wants it back, and he's paying the postage, so I'll send it back.

After I get my washers of course.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

KEMPTON _SEC LE_W1900s.jpg

Kempton Indiana Section Gang, LE&W RR, early 1900s

I got some dozing in the recliner in.

Checking in with my YouTube buddies... Bob & Brad, "the popular physical therapists on the internet, in our own opinions, of course," They say to AIM (Advil, Ice, Mobility or something like that).

So, I watched a few vids on how to stretch the lower back after a pulled muscle. Started those. Today should be an improvement day if I avoid re-injuring it.

Good morning everyone!

I know spring rains are a good thing, but this is bordering on ridiculous! We had another sky opening rain early this morning, it has now seemed to move out of the area with another chance this afternoon.

The farmers around here are struggling to get everything planted. I see some fields have corn and beans starting to come up, but I'm seeing many unplowed fields with standing water in them. I did manage to get my front and 2 side yards mowed and trimmed yesterday in between other projects and school sports practice running.

Have a safe day all!

Good morning (4:17am here) from the desert. Same morning temperature of 54f degrees as back in Wisconsin but there it is raining and will top out at 58. Here the sunny high will be in the upper 80’s. Sunrise here is at 5:30. Breakfast at 9:30 with a couple old friends of Terry’s and one of my roommates from College. We introduced them back in the 80’s when we first visited out here. They have become good friends to each other since. All though are single by choice or deaths.

Unusual for me I actually slept on the plane and Terry said with no snoring!

Today is a day of relaxing but I’m sure the brother will want to play some golf. We’ll see…

Enjoy your day

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a cool 65° with a high today only in the upper 70's. The present forecast has potentially severe thunderstorms this afternoon and cooler temperatures through the weekend. Tornado watch was in effect yesterday afternoon and evening in nearby counties, but not us specifically. They're expecting the same today. The usual Spring time activity.

Well I mostly finished up mowing the rest of the yard yesterday, there's still a few small areas where I have to use the push mower, we'll see what Mother Nature decides for me. This season has been hit or miss and I haven't developed a normal pattern yet! That is east side first, north side next, etc. I could do all 3± acres at once but I would rather spread it out over several days. Less boring that way. I notice that it's time to change the oil again.
It must be the weekly grocery trek today, as the fridge is looking empty. The Vitamin Shop and gasoline are on the list as well. Other than that trip, the day is open but there are things to do, depends on the weather as I posted above. I do need to call the county tax appraiser and have him explain why he raised the evaluation of my land by 26% when no improvements were made! :mad: The value of the homesteaded house and one acre only went up by 6%. In Texas, my property tax on the house has been frozen since 2015 because of the senior exemption, so that one doesn't matter; but not the additional 13.5 acres. I have until 5-21 to file a protest which I intend to do if he doesn't fix it over the phone.

I only had an hour out in the train shed yesterday, but that's better than no time at all! ;)
I added and painted a sidewalk to the front of the hotel/rooming house.
IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

I also dug out the highway guardrails that will be used where the two streets meet on the right, especially next to the railroad tracks.
IMG_0107.JPG

The hardest part with these is drilling the post holes accurately.

Chris - The canal vault looks interesting, but you won't find me doing it.
Guy - At least you got to take a picture of the grain elevator.
Troy - Good luck with the back problem. I use alcohol as a pain reliever.
Mike - Our county has a pick-up truck with the cold patch in the bed, and a guy with a shovel. There are also prominent signs on the truck that read "Pothole Repair Patrol" on it. I have spoken with one of the road foremen and he matter-of-factly told me that they don't maintain roads, they just patch them. Kinda obvious to residents here. Maybe if I would just accept my property tax increase they might do better.

For you rockers out there, Billy Joel is 75 today.
Everyone have a safe and dry day.

Good Morning All!

47F @ 70% and clear & blue.

Got to Sandpoint early. So while waiting:
IMGP0967.JPG

There are more here - CtxLibby Pix

Walked into the Doc's office and he followed us into one of those 'little rooms'. 1st thing outa his mouth was 'Why are you here?' Maria and I looked at each other, then he said 'The VA does this all of the time, you do not need MY approval for Testosterone and I do not administer it.' So we sat and chatted for about 20 minutes.

Made it to St Maries about noon and found a little place to eat. Don't remember the name, but when you walked in there was a post with sign saying something to the effect of 'These tickets are here for those folks that can not afford breakfast. They have been paid for'. There was probably 10 tickets there with different meals. From Breakfast Burrito, to B&E with toast. Anyway, I had a Rubin, Maria a BLT. While sitting there a couple of kids walked in and spotted those tickets. They were almost clean, had almost clean clothes on and not quite well groomed and looked like brothers. The younger of the two grabbed a Burrito ticket of which the waitress told them breakfast was over, but could adjust one of the lunch items using the ticket. That did not work for them so they ordered from the Menu. We got done and when I went to pay, I just paid for theirs also. Apparently the guy behind me had the same idea and tried to give me money!

Anyway, the St Maries River Railroad was pretty much bust. You are looking at the yard throat kinda south. As you can see the rust on the rails has been there for quite a while. This place is/was pretty much a boneyard. I posted over the CtcLibby Pix more images for those interested.
IMGP0981.JPG

Last edited:
For some reason I could not move the cursor after that last pix to continue the dialog. Anyway, we decided that we needed to go and see how Jordan was doing and headed for Missoula. The Wallace Mine Tipple will have to wait I guess. The restoration looks to be getting along pretty good for her portion of the place. We could not see the adjacent renter's room where the water leak started. Suspect that most of that room will also need new wall board @ 4ft down to the floor and cleaned up. Boy, just walking into the place I could tell that those spores were still in the air. It has been until this am that I have been coughing crap up. Maria now too. Nasty stuff. Back to the local Doc for the finish up XRay sometime today. Walk on thing, no appointment necessary.

Maria was looking on FB this am and apparently Eastern Montana has 17" of new snow in places. I90 or I94 ( she did not remember which ) was closed for awhile. Better here than there!

Ok, so now to go and post more pix.

Later

Last edited:
Good Morning!

Looks like I'm on 'garden deer fence detail' today. The wife wants a better deer fence entry gate invented. It's difficult for me as that fence is just a netting that hangs on metal hooks. Nothing is stable, and just blows in the wind.
Maybe I'll plant a couple of posts and put a gate between them. The biggest problem is trying to make something more-or-less unnoticeable from the street view, and will allow the flowers to be seen.
Those darn deer aggravate me. I've counted as many as 21 on the front lawn.

Anyway, I need to get at it. Have a good one!

Here's another old grain elevator along the journey way:
Industry2_Radway Ab_05-07-2024.JPG

Headed out this morning to get some steps in and try to lubricate the muscles and vertabrae... Only got about 2,000 steps at Target and Meijer stores, but the cat has a fresh bag of food ready to reload the cat feeder.

And my sister just texted that mom headed to the Hosp in an ambulance with chest pains. This sounds bad, but... she's gotten herself paranoid about every chest pain. We tell her to take a Nitro pill, like the doc said, and if it doesn't help, then it's probably indigestion. She's gone four times with a sour tummy, claiming chest pains.

So we are waiting on the Hospital to call one of us with an update. I'm debating on heading out, but afraid of what 1.5 hours in a car to get there will do to my back. Why do these things always have such great timing?

Back