Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Good morning to all the modelers, weather watchers and travelers. A nice day to start in Wisconsin. It’s 44f degrees now heading to mid 70’s. The winds are very calm. Flight time at 3 should land us in Arizona weather of 85 windy degrees. No chance of rain compared to Wisconsin’s continuing rain events after 8pm and continuing on/off till Monday. Or so the guessers say…

Enjoy the day

Have a safe flight Tom! One of these days I want to go back there. Wife has a niece in Phoenix, she loves Sedona and I want another ride on the Grand Canyon RR.

Good Morning All. Cloudy, muggy and a warm 76°, heading for a high that might reach 90° today. Cool front moves in after sunset and the overnight lows will be 60°± for a few days. A welcome relief. I'm thinking that we will make the first run of at least one A/C unit today though. I cleaned them out last week but did not run them. Rain back in the forecast for Thursday night.

I spent a lot of yesterday mowing, both before and after I got the tractor stuck. I got the North, NW, West, SW, and South sides of the yard done. That leaves the East (easiest but largest area) and the back yard left for today. There doesn't appear to be a dew this morning, so I can start earlier than usual. Should take about 90 minutes total with just one break to refuel.

It's that time of year where the wheat field across the road starts to mature, and turns from green to yellow and later light brown. Always a beautiful sight.
IMG_0101.JPG

And of course in my yard, I get some help trimming the grass from Mrs. Bunny, as she has a nest full of young ones to feed right now.
IMG_0103.JPG

She really isn't much help, but she is staying away from the garden right now.

Out in the train shed, I did get a little time. I finished up the last piece of roadway and I will now start with some ground cover, details and trees.
IMG_0098.JPG

This piece is a little darker since I turned the tarpaper over, but in just a few months, it will fade like the rest; and if it doesn't, I'll be the only one to know! BTW, that "Jesus Saves" sign is an animated one from Miller Engineering. IIRC, it has 34 different animations to choose from. It is currently set up to use 3-AAA batteries, but I believe that I have a 4.5v wall wart somewhere that I intend to use.
Hoping to get more time today.

Mike - At least the streets on my layout are in better condition than the ones in your neighborhood. However our county roads leading to the state highway 1.5 miles away, are in worse shape.
Regarding the "Do Not Call" list, like Troy (& Joe) posted, politicians are exempt as well as charities. News outlets are not allowed, at least in the State of Texas.
Todd - Glad to read that the meds are working. Sometimes modern medicine gets it right.
Karl - Yes, the weather girls on the Spanish language stations here are real winners. I understand what they are saying, but can't repeat it later!;)
Troy - I guess it depends on what vegetables your wife wants to grow. 6-7 hours of direct sun is plenty for most root crops (excepting onions) and is also OK for green leafy veggies. Some tomato varieties also tolerate low light conditions but they are mainly the smaller ones like Cherry, Grape and Yellow Pear types. They also must have wind or daily shaking for the flowers to pollinate. Gourds like Cucumbers, Melons or Squash will grow but will not do well.
Tom O - Have a safe flight and a fun trip.

Today is V E Day, Victory in Europe Day from WWII. Back in the 40's, an enterprising reporter from the Dallas Morning News looked through the Dallas phone book and found a VE Day to interview. Well, that was my Father-in-Laws 15 minutes of fame, with the interview and his picture published in the paper. Unfortunately no one in the family thought to cut it out and save it.

Everyone have a great Wednesday.

Good 36F Morning in the sunshine!

Yesterday was just one of those days that a husband has to commit to, so the wife can stay happy!
Drove for 7hrs just to deliver a tree and buy flowers at far away greenhouses. I was only the driver, and left all greenhouse touring and spending up to the wife. - I was only interested in old, long-ago rail served structures along the way. Like the old grain elevators that we passed:
Industry1_Radway Ab_05-07-2024 (1).JPG

There was a soft, constant rain falling the entire trip.

When we arrived back home in the evening, I found a present waiting for me in the mailbox:
GP9RM New_05-07-2024 (1).JPG
GP9RM New_05-07-2024 (3).JPG

I did run it for a wee bit, just to make sure it was ok. It was obvious to me to be the smoothest, quietest DCC ready engine I own.
GP9RM New_05-07-2024 (5).JPG

I've repacked her, and placed the box in my protected area until further notice.

Today, my time will be spent making a river crossing on my layout. It's about time I committed to planting the last spike, and connecting East to West on the layout.

Curt - I was out-east for 2yrs of my working career. I know what you mean when you talk about the humidity. It would lay me up; immobilize me. I was never happier than when I quit that foul job and returned to the cold, dry northwest. It's whatever you are used to, I suppose.

I'm gonna get busy. Have a great day, folks

Morning folks

31 and a foot of new white. It's still adding more. The power was out for about an hour and a half, from 5:30 to 7:00 am but now I have a fresh pot of coffee.

It was an epic day loading the 1939 Oliver Row crop on the car trailer yesterday in the wind and snow but it is on there. We used a friends magnum (8" wide, 14 feet long) forklift channel tines to get the front wheels up to the front of the trailer and on to the two 4x12 blocks we cut to fit between the car "treads", after I used the JI Case 730 loader to lift the front of the Oliver up while the trailer was backed under it. The rear was a more conventional load up the ramps after we moved in the right side wheel an inch or so. The spline collar on that did not want to move with either heat or force so we just got longer mounting bolts and spaced it in that distance-negative wheel spacers. Not an arrangement that you would want to actually run but more than sufficient for the trip. He can just set everything back to where it was when he gets home and not worry about moving that collar which may not have moved for 85 years.

My brother was planning on heading back to Iowa this morning. That is in limbo as I 90 is presently closed in both directions over Bozeman Pass. Personally, I wouldn't be going anywhere today, especially with a fully loaded car trailer behind a half ton pickup. 2x4 pickup at that. A recipe for something not ending very well.

I did get a package from Train World yesterday with some ME code 70 flex tack and a new DC powerpack. I can actually test things again. My old MRC powerpack from the 50's bit the dust 25 years ago.

Afternoon All,

Happy World Donkey Day.

Started out the day doing outside chores before it got warm. Current temp is 92F. After that MOH and I cleaned up the rat's nest of wiring behind the entertainment center. MOH is happy with it. In the train room I painted the insides of the walls, windows, and doors. Tomorrow after chores I'll paint the brick walls.

My son showed me a picture of a Midland, TX ACE that has a rifle rack against the wall and a bakery counter in front of them! I want to move back to TX. 😉

Troy- Good luck with the back and hearing aids.

Willie- That sounded like a real pain in the butt (getting stuck). I once had a Pennsy Miller sign. It had very delicate electrical contacts. Ask me how I know that.

Terry- That would be some pucker power driving by when it exploded.

Bill- Interesting ad.

Smudge- There is no darn (think stronger word) way I would do that.

TomO- Safe travels.

Guy- Happy Wife Happy Life. Neat grain elevator. Excellent looking GP9.

Grizzled- Ouch! A foot of snow?

I hope everyone has a good night.

My son showed me a picture of a Midland, TX ACE that has a rifle rack against the wall and a bakery counter in front of them! I want to move back to TX.
All of the Walmarts in my area sell rifles, shotguns and ammo. They also sell ammo for some handguns although they don't sell handguns any more. You do the background check and the purchase at the counter and the manager walks you out to your car and then hands the gun to you. You cannot purchase ammo and a gun in the same purchase, but you can have your wife or friend purchase the ammo while you stand there, or go back in and get it. Many ACE Hardware stores and similar businesses do the same.

At your guys postage costs, im surprised he even wants to pay to have it sent back!
A 10mm wrench would have been worth keeping.

Even at our rates I'm surprised!

OK, I'm confused, where do you think the seller is, in the US ??

He's 41 miles away, and the postage is about $1.50 each way that he's now paying for, so if he wants it back why should I mind, its his money, not mine.

All of the Walmarts in my area sell rifles, shotguns and ammo. They also sell ammo for some handguns although they don't sell handguns any more. You do the background check and the purchase at the counter and the manager walks you out to your car and then hands the gun to you. You cannot purchase ammo and a gun in the same purchase, but you can have your wife or friend purchase the ammo while you stand there, or go back in and get it. Many ACE Hardware stores and similar businesses do the same.
God bless Texas!!

yeah Walmart here does too. Though they stopped selling "modern sporting rifles" a few years ago.

I've bought ammo there. Especially back after O-bummer got elected and a friend of mine was the general manager of our local super store. They got a load of 223 in and he set aside a case or two for me as I had a class coming up and needed a lot and was having problems finding it.

Well howdy there internet peeps,

I'll stay out of what is fringing on a political discussion, and instead offer you what the wife wanted for dinner.

With my back, its the walking, or the in-between of sitting/standing that is painful. So we drove 20ish minutes up the highway, and found this:

Giordanos.jpg

We've got half of that for dinner tomorrow as well.

Made the appointment to take the cheap Jabras back to Costco on Friday. As hearing aids go, they're decent, but not what I need. New ones get picked up on Tuesday.

That pie above is a Geordano's "Pan Pizza. Below this level, they have the cracker like "Thin" pizza. Above it they have the "Stuffed Pizza. Their thin is rather crispy, and not what we're after. The stuffed is tooo thick, but very yummy.

I'm back in my recliner, leaning back on the icepack. Been trying to put it on every hour through most of the day. But I forget and keep it there for most of an hour. So it's been hour on, hour off. Started with 600mg of Ibuprofen. Now, I'm dropping that back, but I'll give myself 400mg right before bed. Hopefully I won't need any tomorrow.

i dug out the wraparound back brace. Going to have to wear it just to remind myself to not bend over.

Afternoon all,

Well, crazy day.

Wichita took a cyberhit on Sunday, and now one of our larger hospital systems took a hit as well (Ascension).

On a different note, we had our quarterly employee lunch today. I finally won something. A full vacation day...by dollars, it's the big prize. There were 2 1/2 days and several $25 gift cards. The powers that be, as well as myself, had a good laugh as I just had to burn a bunch of hours. They will get applied on the next pay period.

Back