Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's cloudy and 65.

AI is getting better and better at generating spam. See if you can tell what gave this spammer's post away::

Hello. Just got back to the workbench to shoot some paint on a couple of stripped shells.

This is my first go around with Tru-color paint and I had mixed results early on.

My first color was CR blue and it shot well and seemed to cover nicely. I put a few drops of acetone into the jar before starting to thin it down a tad. I am not sure if this causes it to not have the high level of gloss straight from the jar that I have read about.

Now onto the issue. The next color is CN orange and I am spraying the main body. Quickly I noticed a bit of texture in on the model. I stopped and dumped the paint back in the jar. Cleaned my airbrush inside and out... Then I added a few more drops of acetone to the paint before filling the cup back up and trying again. I finished the first coat on the shell and there it is I noticed a slight texture all over the shell.

I model the N scale (for now) and any texture in paint is extremely noticeable so I have two problems.

1. How to strip tru-color paint from a plastic model

2. What could be causing this texture issue?

Thanks in advance.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1709462950489.png

Cloverleaf Depot (former LE&W/NKP/N&W) Bluffton IN
Postcard: Bob Albert collection

AI is getting better and better at generating spam. See if you can tell what gave this spammer's post away::

Hello. Just got back to the workbench to shoot some paint on a couple of stripped shells.

This is my first go around with Tru-color paint and I had mixed results early on.

My first color was CR blue and it shot well and seemed to cover nicely. I put a few drops of acetone into the jar before starting to thin it down a tad. I am not sure if this causes it to not have the high level of gloss straight from the jar that I have read about.

Now onto the issue. The next color is CN orange and I am spraying the main body. Quickly I noticed a bit of texture in on the model. I stopped and dumped the paint back in the jar. Cleaned my airbrush inside and out... Then I added a few more drops of acetone to the paint before filling the cup back up and trying again. I finished the first coat on the shell and there it is I noticed a slight texture all over the shell.

I model the N scale (for now) and any texture in paint is extremely noticeable so I have two problems.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. It reads like an AI wrote it, but I only know that because using AI to assist with writing is a hot topic in author circles right now. The struggle to get shiny prose in one's own "voice" is real. ;)

Two things gave it away...

The use of "Quickly" to open a sentence...

I had to look the second up, but Tru-color does NOT recommend acetone as a paint thinner.

Good morning. After a day full of rain yesterday, a 🌞 today and a look outside. The Audi 100 is from yesterdays trade. Jetta had well over 400K miles on it (414K more precisely). So i've picked this 1990 Audi with less than half of miles. Nice machine before Germans got into overdoing it with electronics, and it eats up the bumps on the road, although not as fun as the much more nimble Jetta on the curvy two lane roads where i live:
IMG_20240303_070820754_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning. After a day full of rain yesterday, a 🌞 today and a look outside. The Audi 100 is from yesterdays trade. Jetta had well over 400K miles on it (414K more precisely). So i've picked this 1990 Audi with less than half of miles. Nice machine before Germans got into overdoing it with electronics, and it eats up the bumps on the road, although not as fun as the much more nimble Jetta on the curvy two lane roads where i live:View attachment 182928
That looks considerably different from the 100 I had. It looks more like the old 5000 from way back. Is it a Quattro model?
I found an old ad for my 100, even in the same color. It is also the car that caused me to swear off VW products for life...

audi 1973 100.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure what indicates that this is spam or AI generated, but I do know that you don't use acetone to thin any paint used on plastic.

I'm not sure what indicates that this is spam or AI generated, but I do know that you don't use acetone to thin any paint used on plastic.
It's extremely "wordy" and stilted, there are no contractions, and everything is precisely vague. The final nail in the coffin is something the average person wouldn't be able to see, and that was the IP address for the new member.

That looks considerably different from the 100 I had. It looks more like the old 5000 from way back. Is it a Quattro model?
I found an old ad for my 100, even in the same color. It is also the car that caused me to swear off VW products for life...

View attachment 182929
Audi 5000 and 100 are the same things, for some reason in the States they were named 5000 for a time. Basically there were two sedan groups; 100 which was you could say mid size, and there was 80, which was a small sedan. The Audi 80 was referred to as 4000 here in the US, for a time. Mine is a two wheel drive, the Quattro from this time period was called Audi 200. Yours was the early model just when Audi was getting into production of regular vehicles, and if i remember correctly, it was designed by a former Mercedes guy. The next generation after yours was much more successful and reliable:
81-5k.jpg

I know someone who still drives one like this, pick taken quickly from the net.

Good morning All!!!
Thanks for opening the door Bill!
Flo, can you guess which powdery jelly donut I'm thinking of?
YUP!!! The only one left!!! 🤣
I'll take that on a plate with a large cup of coffee and a double shot of Irish creme.
Heard rumor they're bringing a GE 25 Tonner through town.
Should be cut in behind the loco pulling the scrap job.
The rickety combine was cool by the way. It's legal but barely. :)
I'll be in the window booth.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a warmish 60°. Going up to 80° today after a high of 82° yesterday. Much of the same for a few more days.

I did some more yardwork yesterday, some more select mowing and weedeating. And I still can't figure out the amount of dead, fallen tree limb tips that are appearing under the many Hackberry trees. I already have enough kindling for all of next year!
Garden is looking good, the lettuce that I direct planted on 2/21 came up a few days ago, and is surviving. Almost all onion plants survived except for a few that were suspect when I actually planted them. Tomorrow or Tuesday, I will go back and plant a few radish seeds in the gaps in the rows. I don't really need too many radishes, 3-4 a week is a sufficient harvest.
Today I plan to mow the NE part of the front yard and once again, I plan to attack the tree pile which I deferred on last week.

I did get some time out in the train shed, I added more headstones. That's coming along slowly, it's a bit of a pain.
IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

I finished adding curtains to the house.
IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

Since I plan to have lighting in this structure, I added a light block above the first floor level. The main reason for doing this is because I don't glue roofs on in case I need access inside for future detailing, and I don't want light bleeding from the eaves.
IMG_1386.JPG

Guy - While there are still a few small grain elevators in my area, most are like this one now.
1709471558888.png

Mac -
Finally we are treated to your start of the layout.
Just an FYI, Guy has posted pictures of his layout back in '22, before you joined up.
Todd - Beautiful snow scene. Glad that it is at your house and not mine.
Hughie - I read about that derailment in PA. I'm not sure how a train managed to run into the back of a stopped one. News sources don't seem to be covering that part.
Troy - Best wishes for your wife's friend. I remember that it was one thing complicating her life.
Terry - I didn't notice the lack of contractions, but I did notice several places where pronouns were not used.

Today is Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race day in Alaska. It's kind of a slow moving thing that only true northerners can get into.

Everyone have a great day.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. A cup of Jasmine tea and two oatie cookies please, Flo.

Went to a small railway show. Quite well attended, but not many bargains to be had. Enjoyable all the same.

Did not get to the train room yesterday as a family member visited. Must run some trains today.

Back later

Hoe my morning is going.
IMG_0005.jpeg

Got stuck in an endless reboot loop… and my restore stick was too old for all the upgrades… had to push the nuclear option

I wonder if my hard drive (solid state) is failing. This has been a slowly growing problem… lots of getting “Stuck” and needing to reboot. I was running Ventura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back