Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife did PT for 6 months or so but is way past that now. Her balance is pretty much non existent, and there is very little strength remaining on the left side, to the point that leg never really gets off the floor anymore. In short, it has been a text book case of supranuclear palsy. The MRI, symptoms, and progression all match perfectly. The only remaining unknown is how long she will be able to stay here. Part of that diagnosis is increasingly difficult swallowing, something that will eventually result in a feeding tube and will likely be beyond my ability to deal with. She is already experiencing problems with that.

The bright light at the end of the tunnel is definitely an oncoming locomotive and there isn't any room to step out of the way. I think we have the estate planning tidied up about as well as is possible so all that is left is try to make it through each day as best one can.
I am so sorry, we want to beat old age but it is inevitable, and most do not get to go gracefully, my mum never made much past mid 50s her 2 sisters both mid eighties both breast cancer, so there is every chance I will be looking at that down a barrel.

My other half and I have agreed no stupid expensive funeral, a cardboard box and a match (legally, and preferable AFTER the person is actually dead….winks….and some ashes, pour them on the land.
Which ever one of us is due to live should be the main concern, as they will still. Quality of life.

Once upon a time when men worked (before ww2) and women stayed at home - barring the suffragettes, the women looked after the elderly family members, understanding the husband oaid the bill, they looked after the family, nowadays our kids just want our money and bitch about the carehone fees.
As mentioned we are lucky enough to be likely to keep the other half at home in sone comfort, but I realise that nany in fact most do not have this luxur.
I hope that it goes better than you hope for,
best wishes…
.I will now shut up on this one as I have discussed this before and inevitably people would improve their situation if they could :(

On a side note women often outlive men, but I see any number of men on the forum/s struggling with the health of their wives, so longevity is not necessarily healthy. I hope the poor blokes do not keel over because they have to look after the wives in their old age!

Back in the old country people used to throw ashes from the fire place, or stove. I still do that since i have a wood stove, plus i have my own water well and wouldn't even think of putting any chemicals in the vicinity.
I agree and think it a decent idea, BUT be aware potash Ie ash from a pot after a fire is heavy on potassium and could leech into the ground water, hopefully not enough to be an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpeg
    IMG_2507.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 19
Ah! the days of coal fires. A bygone activity.
We don’t do coal, Woodburners 18 months old
cooker kitchen
woodburner atrium, was a bedroom but now a walk through for access
lounge had a nice fireplace this is safer
dining room has been decorated amazingly no photograph…stop laughing!
in use
as we have trees for wood we can save upto 3,000 pounds a year which means paid for in less than 6 years.
Of course we spends a lot of time cutting gathering drying moving it around, but it helps hit our exercise targets.

Attachments

• IMG_4107.jpeg
    IMG_4107.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3859.jpeg
    IMG_3859.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3488.jpeg
    IMG_3488.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 14
I am so sorry, we want to beat old age but it is inevitable, and most do not get to go gracefully, my mum never made much past mid 50s her 2 sisters both mid eighties both breast cancer, so there is every chance I will be looking at that down a barrel.

My other half and I have agreed no stupid expensive funeral, a cardboard box and a match (legally, and preferable AFTER the person is actually dead….winks….and some ashes, pour them on the land.
Which ever one of us is due to live should be the main concern, as they will still. Quality of life.

Once upon a time when men worked (before ww2) and women stayed at home - barring the suffragettes, the women looked after the elderly family members, understanding the husband oaid the bill, they looked after the family, nowadays our kids just want our money and bitch about the carehone fees.
As mentioned we are lucky enough to be likely to keep the other half at home in sone comfort, but I realise that nany in fact most do not have this luxur.
I hope that it goes better than you hope for,
best wishes…
.I will now shut up on this one as I have discussed this before and inevitably people would improve their situation if they could :(

On a side note women often outlive men, but I see any number of men on the forum/s struggling with the health of their wives, so longevity is not necessarily healthy. I hope the poor blokes do not keel over because they have to look after the wives in their old age!

We are also in the no fuss departure clan, to the point there will not be any obits or other announcements. That has all been arranged and paid for. The only task for the estate personal rep will be spreading the ashes. As far as my own, they can just flush them if so desired😁 Yup, pretty sentimental, I know.

We have no children and out of the 17 nieces and nephews, nary a one has ever expressed any interest in the place nor ever offered any help. It would just be immediately sold for the highest bid. None are mentioned in the will-------Sort of an ignominious end to almost a 100 years of our family on the place.

Good evening gang.

Coal fires. Been around them most of my life. One fire we would burn logs. Loved it in the evenings; reading and listening to music. It was getting all too much in the end with four fires to attend daily.

A railway passing the garden. Oh Yes. Yes. Yes. Heavenly. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back