Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a 10 section, 1 drawing room, 2compartment heavyweight sleeper, commonly found everywhere through about 1962, when all the heavyweights disappeared. The two tone gray scheme is from 1948 and later. It would be appropriate to see a car like this on the MILW, during the peak summer travel season. (In the winter, the reverse was true). They would be used to fill out regular sections, and for special parties.
Thank you, Boris. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to eastern US railroads.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to eastern US railroads.
I had to walk under a PRR overpass walking to and from school. Lunchtime in the winter was extra cool, as the seasonal Florida trains from the Atlantic Coast Line, used to pass NB while walking home for lunch, and SB walking back to school. I never knew there were so many railroads. Beside home road (ACL), RF&P and PRR, there was RI, SP, UP ATSF, NKP, Wabash, NP MILW, N&W and others. Trains were the Florida Special, daily, and the All Pullman, and mostly all Heavyweight "Miamian". which operated tri-weekly. These trains became etched in my memory.

Good morning, Everybody!

A late start (4:15Am) this morning affords me the opportunity to post this morning.

Thank you for all the interesting posts. I may not post much but I do read almost every comment. I really love the photos!

I'm headed to Walmart later this morning to get tires for our Sonic. I milked 65,000 miles out of the original tires. I've always bought my tires from Costco. I saw an online add for tires at Walmart and found a set of Goodyear tires at $73/tire compared to BF Goodrich for $125 at Costco. I bought the tires and made an appointment online. It was easy! I'll let you know how the installation goes.

Have a wonderful day Everybody!

God Bless Us Everyone.

I'm headed to Walmart later this morning to get tires for our Sonic. I milked 65,000 miles out of the original tires. I've always bought my tires from Costco. I saw an online add for tires at Walmart and found a set of Goodyear tires at $73/tire compared to BF Goodrich for $125 at Costco. I bought the tires and made an appointment online. It was easy! I'll let you know how the installation goes.
Louis, I found out the hard way the $73/tire is not the final price. Add a couple hundred $ to the final price for mounting, balancing, TPMS "service", valve stems, road hazard, old tire disposal, and local taxes.
No need to ask how I know.
The tires themselves are good, I have them on my new car.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with round tires on their autos

(seriously, the Mythbusters did an episode on Square Wheels)

It's Troy again...

took mom in for her annual Medicare Wellness visit. Had to laugh. Doc and Nurse both tried to convince mom to get a Shingles vax... problem is, she's a transplant patient for the last 25 years. And she is to NOT get vax made with live virus. Shingles WAS made that way.

So, since the new vax isn't the live virus version, she agreed.

then the nurse came back. Her gap insurance won't cover it. The shots are $400+ each (need 2).

She said no. Not going to spend another $800 this year.

I'm in the process of taking an old epic fantasy series I wrote pre-pandemic, rebranding it, with new covers, and uploading it to all of the outlets, not just Amazon. We authors call this "going wide"... You can find it on Kobo, Google Play, B&N (they're taking a while to approve it), AppleBooks and that store named after the long river.

I'll be moving the cozy mysteries wide too. But I need to wait for some of them to drop out of Amazon's exclusive program (called Kindle Unlimited). Once I get a few more to get unconstrained, I'll put in a request to set the rest of them free.

I had taken my fantasy books wide, but the Kindle Unlimited deal seemed like the best route for the cozy mysteries. And it was... but not now. Time to get them into the broader world, and let people outside of that river-store read them.

So, I'm formatting, uploading, but not pushing the go buttons on them yet... Loads of fun. ;)

Good afternoon all. A cloudy day here here in the land of the former North British Railway.

Came across this old picture. Breathe in!

Train-squeezeJPG.jpg

David

Morning all,

34° and clear going for a high of 68° later. Supposed to get windy over the next couple of days and temps hitting 80° early next week. Needless to say the snow blower is getting serviced and put in the back shed this weekend. We're past the point where we're going to get any measurable snow, or at least not enough to need the snowblower. Only used it once this year.

Not much yet going on. I have to set up a new SQL server instance to finish a project for someone else. Let's plan a project, get the equipment replaced and when you're ready to sign off, figure out you need to have IT do a new server and network control system for it. Typical and I'm not in a hurry to get something done at the last minute when we should have been notified long before.

Good morning. Sunny and 30°. It's a Cardiac Rehab day. ;) There are chores to complete afterward. I actually have something to show for my recent efforts on the layout.
Scott R&D Building 03_28_23.jpg
This is from a no longer available Walthers "Modular System" kit, a1 in 3. There are some obvious learning curve flaws, although most are out of sight. I used Woodland Scenic's Light diffusing window film, and the little "stickies" that fasten the film to the plastic. They are supposed to be invisible, but the front windows say otherwise. I used Walthers asphalt street system, (because I had some), and after the photo was taken, I completed the street and sidewalk as far as the tracks.

Troy: Not for nothing, but my wife became extremely sick after the second Shingles shot. She periodically gets a flare up, resembling chicken pox. No Shingrex for me... I did learn that Medicare will not cover Shingles Vaccines administered in a doctors office, (Part B), but will cover shots administered in the Drug Store under Part D, with a co-pay. Medigap only pays based on what Medicare determines is appropriate, so it's not unusual for her Medigap carrier to decline the opportunity to pay. I know, it's all crazy BS.

Terry and Louis: My choices for tires range from Costco or BJ's, Mavis or Pep Boys. Walmarts around here do not sell tires or offer auto service, or gas. They only have full grocery for the last 10 years. Tire pricing is almost the same, with different gimmicks depending on the outlet. FWIW, there are times when tires from Cadillac, are competitive. In fact, most other outlets are as expensive as the dealer when it comes to routine maintenance.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 44°, it appears that it sprinkled a bit in the last 2-3 hours. Well, that wasn't in the forecast, still isn't but will be soon as the NWS station in Ft Worth is just now getting it. Other than making the ground surface damp, it doesn't appear from the radar that it will be an issue. Nothing in the rain gauge but the porch is wet. Continued fair weather temperature-wise with thunderstorms predicted for Thursday night into Friday morning. Something about an atmospheric river from the Left Coast. Well, they've been asking for rain for the past seven or eight years!
i did some planting yesterday, not as much as planned but with the wind turning from the south late this morning, I should get much more done later today. Mainly I transplanted herbs into bigger pots on the back porch, and a few broccoli and lettuce plants into the garden. I hope today to be able to start on Tomatoes.
Another medical day on our calendar today as my wife has a follow-up to her laser eye clean-up surgery done recently. She tells me that I am not needed to drive, so I'll hope that the yard/garden is dry enough to work in.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took a day off and just ran trains the whole time that I was out there. After three weeks, I am calling the latest project complete, although I may go back and add some minor detailing. I went from this on 03-08:
IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

To this:
IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

I am not sure whether I will go back to the refinery of not just yet, or do a small project or three next. The Refinery mainly needs ground cover on the south end but there isn't any scenery or structures there to blend in with yet. I used 40 figures in this scene including the ones inside the Cafe, thus partially depleting my stock of them. Painting figures is always an ongoing project that I enjoying doing. The 40 added figures puts the layout total now at over 1100, of which I have hand painted over 800 myself.

Tom O - I'm sure that you have noticed the soda prices going up dramatically as I have. I use 12-oz cans only. Sugar-free A&W Root Beer and Caffeine-Free Diet Coke used to be 4-12 packs for $10-$12 depending on the sale. Now they're 3-12 packs for $14. Between a 55% and 85% increase! Almost as bad as eggs.
Hmmmh! Caffeine does not follow the "i" before "e" rule, does it?
Troy - Good luck with the new book deal.
David -
Came across this old picture. Breathe in!
Really tight fit there. Evidenced by the protruding eave on the building with the pink door.

Today we honor Vietnam Veterans, the day is known by different names depending on where one resides, but the intent is the same.
Everyone have an awesome day.

Good morning to all. Round tires with air in them are a good thing.

I wish I could put the snowblower away. After Saturday’s 12”+ snow event I’ll be cutting grass in April before I put it away. The high today will be 35f degrees, it is 31 now but it feels like 20. There is a wind a blowing…

I did another soda run yesterday as the non caffeinated stuff was not available Monday. I need to get out of the house today for an extended period of time. Starting to feel cooped up and for 9 straight days I have spent at least 6 hours a day at the weathering bench. Still many things to do but today is take a break day. Just wish it was warmer and less windy.

Things to catch up on:

The new house is enclosed. The daughter’s remodel of her horse stable to her office, studio and workshop is in the home stretch. Terry’s new stable is almost complete. The stables actually are but the attached covered arena is still missing some side panel enclosures but they to me are just roll down tarps to cover the 1/2 opened walls. Funny how the drawings for the stable originally were 4 stalls for her horses, a wash stall and a medical stall. Upon completion there are now 10 stalls for the bigs critters because in a conversation I must have missed the daughter’s family’s horses are now here.

There is a guy for the third year out collecting the sap from our maple trees to make maple syrup. Not like the old ways when a tap and bag were hung on each tree. There is a series of hoses making those connections and they fill a stainless vat on wheels that he changes out every couple days. Terry talked to him yesterday and he started harvesting last week and he loves the cold and warm weather mix. Says it’s going well this season so far.

When we first decided on the new house I said I didn’t need a pool. Then changed my mind (surprise, right!). The ground is still frozen but the pool contractor is coming next week anyway. He’ll just use a bigger backhoe is what he told Terry. A shorter swimming lane at 50 meters for me, a smaller play space but the same huge indoor/outdoor deck-patio.

That all

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 44°, it appears that it sprinkled a bit in the last 2-3 hours. Well, that wasn't in the forecast, still isn't but will be soon as the NWS station in Ft Worth is just now getting it. Other than making the ground surface damp, it doesn't appear from the radar that it will be an issue. Nothing in the rain gauge but the porch is wet. Continued fair weather temperature-wise with thunderstorms predicted for Thursday night into Friday morning. Something about an atmospheric river from the Left Coast. Well, they've been asking for rain for the past seven or eight years!
i did some planting yesterday, not as much as planned but with the wind turning from the south late this morning, I should get much more done later today. Mainly I transplanted herbs into bigger pots on the back porch, and a few broccoli and lettuce plants into the garden. I hope today to be able to start on Tomatoes.
Another medical day on our calendar today as my wife has a follow-up to her laser eye clean-up surgery done recently. She tells me that I am not needed to drive, so I'll hope that the yard/garden is dry enough to work in.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took a day off and just ran trains the whole time that I was out there. After three weeks, I am calling the latest project complete, although I may go back and add some minor detailing. I went from this on 03-08:
View attachment 165628
View attachment 165629
To this:
View attachment 165630
View attachment 165633View attachment 165634
View attachment 165632
I am not sure whether I will go back to the refinery of not just yet, or do a small project or three next. The Refinery mainly needs ground cover on the south end but there isn't any scenery or structures there to blend in with yet. I used 40 figures in this scene including the ones inside the Cafe, thus partially depleting my stock of them. Painting figures is always an ongoing project that I enjoying doing. The 40 added figures puts the layout total now at over 1100, of which I have hand painted over 800 myself.

Tom O - I'm sure that you have noticed the soda prices going up dramatically as I have. I use 12-oz cans only. Sugar-free A&W Root Beer and Caffeine-Free Diet Coke used to be 4-12 packs for $10-$12 depending on the sale. Now they're 3-12 packs for $14. Between a 55% and 85% increase! Almost as bad as eggs.
Hmmmh! Caffeine does not follow the "i" before "e" rule, does it?
Troy - Good luck with the new book deal.
David -

Really tight fit there. Evidenced by the protruding eave on the building with the pink door.

Today we honor Vietnam Veterans, the day is known by different names depending on where one resides, but the intent is the same.
Everyone have an awesome day.
Willie. Yep, the only food groups pricing I follow are the deli meat pricing and soda. Both are way up the in the past year. 12 can cases now look to be about $5-6 per pack or 3 for $14. The Dr Pepper family thankfully at any one of the 4 stores we frequent have been 4 for $10 in the 16.9oz bottles. Terry drinks Pepsi that for some reason is the higher priced of the 3 major brands and no recent sales. She drinks one a day and has a 3 week supply left.

I always spelled caffeine with the I before e but spell check converted it years ago. I am not sure the I before e rule except after c exists anymore. Do they even teach spelling in schools after 3rd grade anymore? Both grandkids have voice enabled tablets the school supplies to every student k to 12 that actually take the dictation and can print it out.

Good Morning All!
26F @ 73% and clear. Weather guessers say 53F bout 1500 today. Still gonna be 32F - 25F at night all next week. Snow is almost all gone.

Wife stayed up really late last night so I get a ton of time in the train cave. Finish stair rails, then move some of the big power tools around; Planer, Table Saw, Router and Sander. Need to get them closer to the sucker so I can plumb them in as I think I have enough galvi pipe to do so.

Tires: About 20 years ago, I found Discount Tires. Back then they were always less expensive than just about any one else. Now days, they still are cheaper, but not as much as before. What has kept me with them is that they always give you a quote 'out the door' so I know all the add-ins; if any beforehand. When I was still in Washington, got a flat on my work van near Stanwood, Wa. Nobody in Stanwood would come to me and fix, so I called Discount in Everett. It was a case of 'I had a spare but the damn jack was nowhere to be seen'. Took them about an hour and they brought me a complete tire ( used ) mounted on a Chev rim ( no charge ) put it on and got me going again. Took it back to them the next day and got new tires for the thing. The cheapie in me still checks other tire/wheel guys and if there is a big difference in price, I just take the quote to Discount and they work their magic either beating or matching that price. Most of the time I get the 60K tires, sometimes 10ply depending on the application. As a note, the other day on a whim, I stopped at the store in Hayden, ID asking them to swap front to back as it had been awhile since last done. They had a four bays busy so I figured I would have to wait for awhile. Two guys came out with floor jack and fixed me right in the parking lot.

Have been wanting 35's for the Blazer again. Put some 18's on her because the 35's had some deep cracks in the tread. Other problem was the 35's were on 15" rims which were on 3/4 ton running gear. The idiot that put them on actually ground down the caliper assembly on the old running gear to make them fit. Go figure. We were headed back on the road and I didn't have time to search for 35's. Rig was at a friends house whom was doing some of the frame/running gear work and I wanted it home. Geesh, $2800 for 35's with rims; but it will look really cool!

Later

Good almost afternoon gang!

Little late getting here today, been a busy morning at work.

Tires, not surprisingly, I get at the dealership. GM dealers run rebate programs twice a year. I got tires for the lil red truck and SWMBOs Equinox last fall. Got $100.00 rebate on each. Since it was paid with my GM Mastercard, they doubled the rebate. $400.00 back on a pre-paid Mastercard that I can take to me LHS. Sweet!

Mike, be patient. Tomorrow will be here soon enough.

Patrick, I never got the snow blower out of the shed this year. It's sitting right behind the Cub Cadet with the plow mounted on it, which has had a flat tire since last fall!

BBL

I put tires on the truck 2 weeks ago, weren't my first choice, but are comparable. Wanted Firestone Destination LE3's and bought Bridgestone Weatherpeak. Same warrantee and ratings from the independents were the same. Problem was with the size I wanted. Truck had a 215\70r16 as stock, dealership I bought the truck from changed the wheels and put a 225\65r16 which were smaller. I wanted a 235\65r16, and it was like the were made in that size of unobtainium. The 215 was 27.9" in diameter, the 225 were 27.4" in diameter and the 235 was a true 28" in diameter which put the speed and odometers closer to actually.

I do have a rebate card coming, although smaller because I didn't use the stores card or applied for one. Should be here about the time I forgot I had one coming.

Afternoon All,

Started out at 70F and getting to 80F as a cold front comes through. No joking. It drops the temp down to the average temp for FL this time of year. I spent the morning working on the Sedona to make sure MOH has no issues on her drive to SC. Dad extended his trip to OH from 2 weeks to 3 weeks. Tomorrow is the monthly grocery trek that I am the chauffeur for. I think next week I will do 2 layout videos. One in daylight and a nighttime one.

Troy- Good luck with your plans.

David- That's a neat photo.

Joe- Nice looking building. I don't think I have seen one before. Those spots on the windows would drive me crazy!🤪

Willie- Nice looking scenes and details.

Sherrel- I hope you are doing OK.

Mike- Best wishes for your wife.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back