Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

I'm finally recovered from my food poisoning adventure, and back to eating my normal foods, no more worrying about playing it safe. Now I have 30 days to prep my layout for the "MER 2021 Redux" layout tours - not the official name, but something the Chesapeake Division folks are arranging so that the volunteers who were required to always remain at the hotel for the entirety of the October show, will get a chance to see some of the layouts that were on the tours which they helped to coordinate. This won't be an op session, just an open house-type event.

Aside from that, I've been battening down my property in preparation for the possible derecho that will strike my area tomorrow afternoon/evening - and may be pounding Mikey's region as I type this! 😮 Moving all my trashcans, grill, and other small items into the shed so I'll still have them after the windstorm.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

I'm finally recovered from my food poisoning adventure, and back to eating my normal foods, no more worrying about playing it safe. Now I have 30 days to prep my layout for the "MER 2021 Redux" layout tours - not the official name, but something the Chesapeake Division folks are arranging so that the volunteers who were required to always remain at the hotel for the entirety of the October show, will get a chance to see some of the layouts that were on the tours which they helped to coordinate. This won't be an op session, just an open house-type event.

Aside from that, I've been battening down my property in preparation for the possible derecho that will strike my area tomorrow afternoon/evening - and may be pounding Mikey's region as I type this! 😮 Moving all my trashcans, grill, and other small items into the shed so I'll still have them after the windstorm.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
Ken- the last tornado warning expired at 1 am for my area. There was a tornado reported on the ground at 12:15 about 15 miles from me, but no reports of injuries yet. So I am wide awake now for the next 4 to 8 hours.
Hope most of you are having pleasant dreams as I yawn through the rest of the morning.

I'd be more likely to check how I could take it down or roll it up in windy weather, or sooner or later, something is going to give way.
There is one corner that is a PITA to get to, thanks to the privacy fence around our AC units out by my garage. Both mine and my neighbors (we're in a row of adjoined units, so we share that area) are inside the fenced area. I need to wiggle in with a thin ladder to get to the connector. My slapstick engineering mind isn't coming up with much.

There is one corner that is a PITA to get to, thanks to the privacy fence around our AC units out by my garage. Both mine and my neighbors (we're in a row of adjoined units, so we share that area) are inside the fenced area. I need to wiggle in with a thin ladder to get to the connector. My slapstick engineering mind isn't coming up with much.
Could you get in and maybe fit an eye bolt there, add a longer rope and tie it off somewhere easier to access, that way if you need to take it down untie it and pull the awning down, leaving enough rope through the eye bolt to pull it back into position when it's calmer weather, a PITA to do, but then you only need to do it once.

Morning all,

35 and snow this morning. Not supposed to amount to anything. Got to head to the office shortly.

Tomo: Been to the Johnson space center over 10 years ago. While interesting, I was disappointed by the overall story they were telling. I get more about space race and background history, prior even to WWII, at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks. They have German and Russian equipment as well as American equipment. They built the sets for Apollo 13 and were the institution behind the recovery and restoration of Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7. A must see if you ever to the Wichita area. About 45 minutes or so from Wichita.

Last edited:
Could you get in and maybe fit an eye bolt there, add a longer rope and tie it off somewhere easier to access, that way if you need to take it down untie it and pull the awning down, leaving enough rope through the eye bolt to pull it back into position when it's calmer weather, a PITA to do, but then you only need to do it once.
Good idea. I'd need to watch the wear on the cable where it rubs on the eye bolt. And if I make the cable long enough, I could reinstall the canopy without a ladder. Trip to the hardware tomorrow.

OK .. Have been up an hour already - Bah, Humbug!
No wind here and not looking for any water today, but a high temp of 65F and a partly sunny sky.
Time to find the coffee pot - I did have a 5 hour sleep, so maybe a nap during the mid morning?
I did receive a call from the medical establishment and they have set up my "shocking" experiment for the 20th of April.

Good morning. It's currently windy and 65, which is 2 degrees warmer than our high yesterday.
My wife is back in the hospital, after suffering a reaction to a hemodialysis treatment. More personally disturbing is the fact nobody bothered to tell her husband/health care surrogate/power of attorney what happened. They also didn't tell the nursing home, and the nursing home didn't realize she was missing after over 5 hours. The breakdown in communication/competency is vast in this.

Oh, the reason she had the reaction is, she has another UTI.

Good idea. I'd need to watch the wear on the cable where it rubs on the eye bolt. And if I make the cable long enough, I could reinstall the canopy without a ladder. Trip to the hardware tomorrow.
Once you've established where on the cable the wear is likely to be, you could reinforce that section, or (don't know if you have them in the US) use a ship's eye, same thing but the eye has a thick polyurethane coating, making them practically frictionless.

Better idea, see if you can find a small industrial pulley, and attach that, that's a much easier solution

Last edited:
Good morning all! A breezy 41 degrees out with wind speed of 22 gusting to 30. Only going up to 44 today with chance of rain.

Nothing huge going on today. Ordered a new phone and it's supposed to arrive, so this evening I'll be doing the migration of everything from the old phone to the new. I installed several Microsoft apps on my old phone for work and they are about to choke it to death. It only has 3gb of RAM and 32gb of storage plus a 32gb SD card. Sometimes when I try to start or switch to an app these days the screen just goes black for about a minute or so before getting back to normal. My new phone, a Google Pixel 6 shouldn't have those problems with 8gb RAM and 128gb storage.

Gotta go on a short trip with others from work today to a nearby college to check out their distance learning equipment. That will make for a short day in the office.

Patrick: Good luck with the job interview! I'm 56 and landed my first IT job, so with your experience you should have a good shot at it regardless of age.

Hope you all have a great day!

Morning from the office.

Snow on grassy surfaces and cars left outside, otherwise roads just wet. With the temp at or just above freezing the peaches should be fine.

Apologies about my previous post, I was at the Johnson Space Center in early 2008, so they have changed stuff up since then. I wasn't implying it wasn't worth going to see (it was for the trip to see mission control), just not the same depth of space exploration I got from the more local place.

Terry: Hope all goes better, more prayers for the wife and family.

Ken (OTBC): We'll see if they really liked the mini interview. No word yet from them. I'm about 5 years older and in some cases much of my knowledge is more than many places want to hire.

Have you a picture, you know go out in danger to give us a nice picture,so safely in our homes we can look and give you advice that will probably leave you smacked down…..but hey it might be ok.

Morning from the office.

Snow on grassy surfaces and cars left outside, otherwise roads just wet. With the temp at or just above freezing the peaches should be fine.

Apologies about my previous post, I was at the Johnson Space Center in early 2008, so they have changed stuff up since then. I wasn't implying it wasn't worth going to see (it was for the trip to see mission control), just not the same depth of space exploration I got from the more local place.

Terry: Hope all goes better, more prayers for the wife and family.

Ken (OTBC): We'll see if they really liked the mini interview. No word yet from them. I'm about 5 years older and in some cases much of my knowledge is more than many places want to hire.
An honest opinion is worth 100 raves

It turns out her father was a model railroader and her 3 brothers as well...... so she grew up playing with them etc. So we got that going for us too! 😁
And if she fancies coming for coffee you can tell her there is at least one woman here :) although then we can NOT (edit as typo) ask questions or talk about her or diss her on your behalf - which I hope never has to happen, as she is sounding like she’s a keeper

Good morning. It's currently windy and 65, which is 2 degrees warmer than our high yesterday.
My wife is back in the hospital, after suffering a reaction to a hemodialysis treatment. More personally disturbing is the fact nobody bothered to tell her husband/health care surrogate/power of attorney what happened. They also didn't tell the nursing home, and the nursing home didn't realize she was missing after over 5 hours. The breakdown in communication/competency is vast in this.

Terry: Sorry to hear of Marie's setback.

What I find most disturbing is the lack of Transparency that seems common in these facilities, apparently industry wide, as we frequently encounter stonewalling involving the MIL.

I suspect someone was told, just not senior and they were too stupid to pass it on and now won’t own up to it, but the stress it gave you must have been really serious, now stress causes trauma and people eat food for stress, and people often rely on sugar, but eat some red meat, a homemade beef patty will give the nutrients to cope with stress,pass on the bread if you can.

But at least someone got her seen to, and in hospital where fingers crossed they can undo the damage.

IF YOUR LUCKY when she goes back to the home they will be embarrassed enough to be a bit more xxxsweareordxxxx careful, well here’s hoping

They know where to send the bill on time and without fail though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back