Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
11204CC5-C984-474E-B7F5-60F70D43B1FC.jpeg
Howdy ...

First, I sincerely thank each of you who posted thoughtful comments and words of encouragement regarding my recent health situation. ... I am starting to feel somewhat better in recent days. I believe it will continue slowly improving. I’m way behind with non model railroad stuff.

I have glanced at your recent posts. You guys are certainly busy.

Chet. ... Thanks for sharing pictures of the baby. The grandchild already resembles Grandpa !

Willie ... You might like seeing this photo of my WS treehouse on the left side of the picture. It is part of my farm scene. I made the small farmhouse from a Campbell kit. Mr. and Mrs. Farmer have three active boys along with several dogs and cats.

Everybody: Have a good night.

Greetings all! Need some help from the SoCal Modellers

I'm writing a short for (hopeful) inclusion in an upcoming anthology. The plot includes a Halloween party in an old building where a model railroader has his SoCal transition era layout. Sticking to one time is not his thing, so you can go 20+ years in either direction.

Someone absconds with the poor chap's new acquisition. The passenger express Loco and a few cars when the lights go out in the building for a scary bit.

What would the prized Passenger Express be? I don't model that end, and don't know where to start looking for the iconic parts.

Thanks!

Greetings all! Need some help from the SoCal Modellers

I'm writing a short for (hopeful) inclusion in an upcoming anthology. The plot includes a Halloween party in an old building where a model railroader has his SoCal transition era layout. Sticking to one time is not his thing, so you can go 20+ years in either direction.

Someone absconds with the poor chap's new acquisition. The passenger express Loco and a few cars when the lights go out in the building for a scary bit.

What would the prized Passenger Express be? I don't model that end, and don't know where to start looking for the iconic parts.

Thanks!

Good morning gang
44° with rain, only going to 53° by dinner. The weekend looks great, but I have to work. 😕

Garry, great farm scene, as soon as I saw it the "Green Acres" theme music started in my head! Glad to hear you are getting back to normal.

L8ter gators!

Last edited:
Morning all,

37° and clearing. We actually had snow here yesterday, but with the temps above freezing, it didn't stick.

Yesterday was crazy. Got with the county to move our dispatch terminals to our new internet provider. 3 systems use the same VPN link between their network and ours (Camera between the county jail and our city court, alarms for the fire stations and the dispatch terminals. The link is up and 2 of the 3 systems are talking. I'm waiting on the county's vendor for our next step. everyone is scratching their heads as they can see stuff being sent from the offline systems, but not getting a server response. I expected an overnight fix report that hasn't come in yet, so?????\

We'll get it eventually.

Finally have a leftover corned beef sandwich for lunch today. Been a while since there was any leftover corned beef decent enough to make a sandwich with.

Jaz: Dinner looked good.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a bit chilly here at 41°. The 20mph+ winds continue today until near sundown. Rain yesterday morning didn't amount to much, just 0.16" which all dried up by noon due to the winds. Had to start a fire last night and one will be needed overnight for a couple more days.
Another busy day on the SFW estate yesterday. I went to the feed store 25 miles away and purchased some tomato and bell pepper plants, along with green bean seed. Only got half of what I wanted because they had run out of my favorite and best performing variety. But I have enough to keep me busy for now, 36 plants total. After lunch, I tackled the rear brakes on the car. First one went flawlessly, it took longer to jack up the car and remove the wheel than to actually change the pads. The other side, not so well. A balky bolt took much longer to remove until I figured out why! Eventually got it done and tested them by driving the 2.5 mile round trip to the mailbox and back. After that I did a bit more mowing to try to stay ahead of things. Amazing how much things grow with as little rain as we have had since the "big freeze". Today on the way to the grocery store, I will pick up the front pads and the motor oil needed for the tractor's oil change; as well as refilling the gas can for the tractor. Also while I am out on the weekly grocery/beer trek, I'll be picking up a prescription and stopping by Hobby Lobby for some hobby supplies. Gotta make these trips to town pay off.
Wow! The price of gas has shot up astronomically since January 20! Noticed that some stations on my trip yesterday have gone up more than $1 per gallon in just two months.

Yep Flo! The corned beef hash sounds like a good choice today. Crack a raw egg on top and add an English Muffin on the side.

Thanks a bunch for the likes and comments yesterday; Justin, Troy, Sherrel, Chad, Rick, Hughie, Tom O, Karl, Chet, Patrick, Phil, Tom, Garry.

I did finish ballasting that last turnout yesterday in the train shed. Still happy to report that all 14 of the others work without any issues; nothing glued and no loose ballast to interfere with operation. I didn't do anything on the tree house yesterday.
After much pondering about my next big project, I am going to finish up a portion in the area surrounding the newly painted and ballasted track in Rycon Township. I learned from 2019's project in Charlottesville not to target the whole area at once so I am just planning on a small section of about 10" x 48" to start. I already have determined the structures there so mainly it will be ground cover, a road, and a scenic divider.
I'll be just doing the front of the layout from the fascia to the tracks along the layout edge.
Here's the various views starting on the LH side and progressing to the right.
03-18-21 002.JPG

03-18-21 001.JPG

03-18-21 003.JPG

03-18-21 004.JPG

Since all of my structures are removable, I can take them off later when I get inspired to do the area behind. Just haven't finalized my plan back there yet.

Karl -
Top of the mornin to ya!
And a happy St Patty's day to one and all!
Is it St Patty's Day or St. Paddy's Day??? Patty is a lady!
Chad - Corned beef was on sale last week at my nearby stores. I bought two. I will be checking today to see if there are any leftovers, but they normally always sell them all.
Sherrel - That's great that you found that Italian bistro so close to home. I got the additional photo yesterday while driving.
Chet - Grandson looks just like you. Congratulations to the parents. So you have one of the original Magnusom Models MR I resin kits, both of mine were Walther's plastic ones. Photo yesterday of the yard and main street was an excellent one.
Phil - Thanks a bunch for the update on Curt. Looking forward to his return.
Justin -
It is a plastic kit. Wasnt too bad doing it all up. Just really time consuming.
Rome wasn't built in a day! I don't really mind kits that take a long time to assemble. Some of these laser-cut wood kits can take a really long time. Look at how long Alan has been working on the welding shop.
Garry - So glad to read that you are doing better. Continued positive thoughts and prayers for your recovery.
Thanks for the picture of the tree house. All of your layout inspires me.

I don't know when or where the pinching for not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day came from, but I certainly remember it from my grade school days in a Catholic school in Brooklyn NY. The nuns who were all Irish, encouraged it. Everywhere I lived after that had the same tradition although it has waned somewhat in the last decade or so. The Mexicans at work used to pin dollar bills to their shirts. Normally after some one pinched them because they didn't have green on.

Everybody have a great day. Be safe and keep your distance.

Karl -

Is it St Patty's Day or St. Paddy's Day??? Patty is a lady!

But Patrick and Patricia both have the letter "T" , not "D". So I would think the proper English spelling would have the letter "T" in the spelling.
Of course, theses days its have to tell the genders apart anyways. ;) 🤣

This morning one of my co-workers informed me that his cat was undergoing a sex change operation today, due to some urinary tract issues. Google it, its a real thing. He tells me he is re-naming the cat, Cat-lynn Jenner. :oops::rolleyes:
I almost died! LOLOLOL

But Patrick and Patricia both have the letter "T" , not "D". So I would think the proper English spelling would have the letter "T" in the spelling.
Of course, theses days its have to tell the genders apart anyways. ;) 🤣

This morning one of my co-workers informed me that his cat was undergoing a sex change operation today, due to some urinary tract issues. Google it, its a real thing. He tells me he is re-naming the cat, Cat-lynn Jenner. :oops::rolleyes:
I almost died! LOLOLOL
St Paddy's or St Patty's

Hi Guys,

I apologize for skipping out for a few weeks, we are finishing our house and getting ready to move. They are just nailing on the last few trim pieces and will be cleaning, our walk through should be next week and officially out of St. Paul as of 3/30.

Just too consumed to work with the railroad, however the new benchwork should begin in April.

IMG-0195.JPG

latest photo construction is still ongoing a little...

moving is a lot of work, not to mention finishing a build. Enough whining, I must admit the whole thing has been going smoothly; will update later

Dave LASM

Good morning from Wisconsin where the high temperature for the day will be mid 40’s. The day is blustery per the TV weather guy the son was watching this morning. As soon as he left to pickup the g/f at the airport that thing went off.

The workbench and storage area is reorganized and now wouldn’t you know it, 3 pipes to connect some dust bins I cannot locate.

Stimulus, everyone needs a stimulus.

Gas, yes it has climbed since 1/20/2021 but it has nothing to do with anything the current regime has implemented, yet. Just like the current money hand out that I again don’t qualify for someone has to blame somebody. I didn’t hear this complaining it’s too much for the 1st and second handouts. There also is much less pork in this one then the 1st 2. It is funny or is I tragic though, one party 100% in one house did not approve it but some of those no voters are in their states saying how the money will help the voters in the state. Crazy times we live in. Or better yet, one guy says let’s fairly tax folks earning $400,000+ a year and the other guy says nope those earners need additional tax breaks. Now you know why I don’t watch TV especially the “news”. However, very much like his mom, the son devours the news programs.

Dave welcome back. House looks good.
Garry, glad you feel better. That fam scene looks awesome.

Trains, maybe just vacuuming the floor in the train room. But, I am growing a few more trees.

TOMO
F0106965-21A8-464F-B731-BD000C0746A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone.....sort of a gray day here in this part of Wisconsin.

I finally had a half day down in the train room working on some projects I didn't expect to do. I have an Atlas ALCO #871 that I installed new Kadee #148 couplers and made some minor adjustments to their trip pin height. Tested the locomotive and it worked great uncoupling and pushing a box car without re-coupling. I do have to redce the locomotive's overall sound volume since it does sound like an ALCO and is loud.

During my testing of #871 I found an interesting feature on my Digitrax #402 throttle. By pressing in the + button the locomotive gains a slight amount of speed each time the + button is pushed. Great for switching and if you hit the direction button it maintains the speed that you entered for the other direction. Live and learn.

Time sure goes bye fast when down in the train room having fun. Have to change the radio station since it's been playing the same songs for the last year!!! I listen to iHeart on the computer with it's oldie stations.

Ran that Athearn that I added a decoder. It draws over .30 amps when running. I found that it stops at one certain spot on the layout and I don't see any track concerns, so I cleaned and polished the wheels of the locomotive and I'll retest this afternoon.

Willie: Do you think the rising price of gasoline is due to a reaction of the future closure of the construction of the Keystone pipe line and US oil production?

Dave: Welcome back from the house construction duties. Your new house looks great and ready to move in.

Garry: Glad you're feeling better, some times recovery can be a slow process, but with a positive outlook, a return to daily activities comes in due time. I been there and done that several times.

Found out yesterday that my truck's ditch or fog light replacement was expensive and my model year was the only year GM used that lamp. It was replaced yesterday for $47.00 with a six month guarantee. Cathy drove the truck for the first time in months and it's a lot different than her Rav4 in size and power. Funny fact that the muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's had about the same horsepower as my truck at 355 hp.

That's all for now.

Greg

############

Last edited:
Rome wasn't built in a day! I don't really mind kits that take a long time to assemble. Some of these laser-cut wood kits can take a really long time. Look at how long Alan has been working on the welding shop
Well in hind sight I'd say I should have had this kit on hand when I made the decision on how my scenery was going to go. That way I wouldn't have had to hit the brakes on it until the kit was finished to a point I could install it on the layout. This build was a new one for me and also a new learning lesson. I guess I was less than prepared for the amount of time itll take for a project like this. Should probably plan these things a little better in the future.

Willie: Do you think the rising price of gasoline is due to a reaction of the future closure of the construction of the Keystone pipe line and US oil production?
It is partially a reaction to that, since neither directive affected the current flow of oil. The rise is also mostly because of OPEC's ongoing decision to cut supplies by another half million barrels a day in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back