Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris - I really do like the prototype photographs. You are a good photographer!
McLeod: I'm not a good photographer, I just find these in my internet travels and upload them for the enjoyment of others. if there is a credit, I pass it along if it's not already on the photo. I sort of wish I could take photos such as these. I'm glad you enjoy them though.

Spent some time in the train room this afternoon. Doing construction of another module, the one dedicated to containing the layout's permanent electrical connections,including the DCC controller and the DC power pack So that there is no margin for error, I intend to wire through a DPDT switch so either one or the other is on at any given time. This module will also house the laptop for JMRI applications and the inventory etc.

As it stands right now, I will have plenty of time to devote to this and other household chores, as neither the wife or I have any compelling reason to go anywhere before March 27, when the wife has an appointment with her Rheumatologist.

Today, was the 149th anniversary of the establishment of the Philadelphia Fire Department.

Stay safe and stay well.

Howdy ....

Karl .... "Play with trains." LOL ... Are you playing with the caboose?

This is a good place to be hermits, and we have stayed home starting on Thursday. We cancelled all of our plans for March. Hopefully, I need not cancel the already twice postponed eye surgery which now will be in April. I don't like what is happening to the stock markets. Gas prices are low, but who needs gas if you are not going anywhere?

I have been working on the layout. I still have one area without scenery. I am making changes to track before adding scenery.

Everybody have a nice night and stay healthy.

Atta Boy, Terry - Chin Up!
It's 51 here going towards a 60 high - clear at this time. Huge low pressure area off the coast is playing havoc with the SanFran area and looks to be dumping snow in the mountains.

Just Coffee this morning, FLO, while I decide what the day will bring. It's our 29th anniversary today, so I will have t]to come up with something ... I have till about noon when MOH returns from her MIL duty.

Morning all,

Coffee this morning as I've got to create a bunch of new VPN access links into the network.

40* and rainy in Doo-Dah. Supposed to be in the low 50's today with no chance of sun. Overcast to continue through the week with rain throughout.

With Spring break in the schools the grand kids attend we are babysitting Thursday and Friday and were planning things to do with them, however then everything else closed. I told the Mrs. that Chuck E. Cheese was out as being the only thing open would be very crowded.....lol

Got my power pack on Friday and proceeded to not do anything trains all weekend. We did our usual grocery run Friday instead of Saturday, and what a mad-house. My sisters (all in other states) were texting about having enough TP, finally one asked if anyone had checked in on our parents (they live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Michigan's UP). When I called he said they were good as they have a bidet in their apartment.....They don't but dad is a smartass....I passed that to the rest of the family.

No time for pictures as work beckons...

I will leave on this note:

If they close the stores, we'll have to hunt for food. My problem is I don't know where Doritos live......

Willie, those Oxford vehicles are awesome. I usually find guys blowing them out at train shows for 9 bucks each. I recently picked up a couple of Olds Rocket 88's. Nice models! You can't have too many vehicles. The layout just swallows them up. Like trees!

Greg, I fell for that Rapido switcher myself. In SP of course. And an A-B-A set of those PA's they're doing. I'm also waiting on some passenger cars from GGD/ Sunset Models. I've got it figured it'll all show up at roughly the same time, and I'll have to take out a second mortgage!

Interesting things that happened this weekend: The wife and I went shopping this weekend. We like certain things from certain places so we hit five stores, Wal-Mart, Sams Club, Meijer, Pic-N-Save, and Sendiks. No TP at any of them except Sendiks, which had a one per customer rule. I didn't need any, but it was fascinating to look at what people were buying. Paper towels, bottled water, Sports drinks (by the case). Ramen noodles were hard to come by. You'd think they were getting ready to drop the bomb. Now I'm not what you'd call a prepper, but I've always kept emergency supplies on hand, you know in case you lose power for a couple of days, or whatever, so this whole thing for me was more amusing than anything else. People have no clue.

Fun things that happened this weekend. The operating session at the club got cancelled, but those of us who wanted to showed up anyway and had an ARTIC night. You know, Aimlessly Running Trains In Circles. That was enjoyed by all. I weathered a locomotive for a friend. Did some maintenance on some freight cars that needed it. Replaced missing stirrup steps, swapped out unpainted wheels for painted ones, and on several old Red Caboose cars I built some time back, I had to replace couplers and draft gear. Remember those crappy coupler boxes that glued to the floor? These were also older kits that for a while came with plastic McHenry couplers. That stuff had to go! Popped them off, drilled and tapped for a Kadee box, and got five done. We modelers are prepared for this social distancing stuff. We've been practicing for years!

Good Morning All. 54° and cloudy. Rain overnight left .7" in the gauge, but it has been removed from the forecast for the rest of the day. Not much consolation as the ground is soaked and big puddles are everywhere. Thunderstorms return around mid-morning tomorrow. Got a chance to look at the garden yesterday; it's doing quite well. A few of the weaker onion plants have succumbed to the excess moisture, but everything else looks very promising. Everything else that I planted is up and growing, needs a few days of sunlight which won't happen until Thursday or Friday.
Today marks the beginning of St. Patrick's Week for us Irishmen, it's more than just a one day celebration. I'll still be doing the St. Patrick's Day parade in my neighborhood tomorrow, despite the quarantine!:cool:

Good morning Flo. You say that you have some corned beef hash this morning. Great! I'll take some with a raw egg on top and a toasted English Muffin to mop up with. Wasn't expecting that until later in the week.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress report and booty score; Guy, Joe, Phil, Justin, Jerome, Greg, Garry, Ken, Sherrel, Chet, James, Karl, Tom, Curt, Patrick.

Had more time in the train shed yesterday since we skipped church due to self-quarantining. Continued to work on the scenery around the casket manufacturer, mostly adding more grass/weed clumps. Over on the workbench I assembled some Walther's track bumpers since I needed one on the other side of the layout for the tannery.
03-16-20 001.JPG

Speaking of the tannery, I have mentioned it a few times. It is just a backdrop industry made from DPM modular walls. It;s actually been there for 6 or 7 years.
03-16-20 002.001.JPG

I also added missing ties and painted the grain elevator spur. Other than the switch shown in the picture above, I can now paint random ties different shades of brown, black and gray; and than ballast the whole thing.
On my trip to the LHS Saturday, I picked up another Bar Mills laser-cut kit for use in a backwoodsy country scene that is planned but not yet built. It's called Earl's Oil, in honor of Earl Smallshaw.
03-16-20 007.JPG

03-16-20 004.JPG

My vehicles will not be that old.

Garry -
Willie ... You may be the only guy I know who has included an anthill on his HO layout. Where do you get your 1/87 ants?
It's actually not the first anthill on the layout. I posted a picture of another scene about a year ago with one in it, next to a skunk and leaking oil drum. Can't locate it just yet. The ants are underground either hibernating or procreating. Just wait until tomorrow to see what I painted yesterday to add today.
Guy -
Willie - ... I see you have plywood ceilings in the train room; that's probably easier to keep clean that the joists in my basement.
Nothing fancy here. It's actually a train shed that I built just for the model railroad out in the yard, about 150' from the back door of the house. I rarely have to walk to it in the cold, as it rarely gets below 0°C in this area. No basements here in Texas, which also means no stairs!:)
Looking forward to the rock face results.
Chet - I like the Oxford vehicles quite well. The LHS that I am fortunate to have access to has about 40-50 on their shelf. In addition, they are less expensive than Mini Metals, Athearn, Walther's or WS vehicles.
Sherrel - Granddog is a mutt. If I think of it, I'll get a picture. Happy Anniversary.
Beady - Sad photos of your local grocery store. Thankfully that sort of panic hadn't hit here when I went last Thursday.
Terry - Good news. Prayers continue.

Everybody have a great day.

Patrick-the Doritos are hiding just below the sour cream potato chips and above the Cheetos in my pantry, but I am only hoarding one package of each!
Be careful if forced to hunt for food. Some people are stocking up on ammunition to protect their pantries.
We are well stocked up on munchies. Elizabeth never got over her fondness for Golden Flake products and she orders that stuff by the case! I just hope she’ll share with us. She has no sense of humor when it comes to her potato chips and cheese curls! The good news is I don’t need to stock up on ammo. I can make that here! :oops:

Good Morning everyone!
I'll just have the usual coffee that I have when I go out. The wife always makes me her mixture of oatmeal, yogurt, and berries in the morning, so I never go out hungry.

Patrick - I enjoyed your Dorito joke. I'll keep my eye out for them, next time I'm walking in the woods. Usually, I just find the plastic skins where the Doritos have shed them.

Terry - I'm glad that you can find some brighter light in a rather harsh environment. Hope it gets brighter as time passes.

It's a livable 10F right now, but we are expecting a heat wave to come in an raise that to about 37F. Quite a difference over the last couple of days. I'm glad to see it coming.

We are going to try the grocery today. If it don't look good, we can always go ice fishing. A little luck on the ice can bring a steady supply of protein. The wife is a better fisherman than me, and will usually catch a nice Rainbow like this one:
McLeod_RB.jpg
I was in the basement yesterday, painted the rock face. Back and forth, I went, trying a multitude of earthen colors until I was finally satisfied. Then late last night, I looked at it again, and applied more paint in desperation. I think I've got the paint to an acceptable level.
Right now, it's a backdrop that looks like the bar stool in the dump I used to drink at. I'm happy enough with the paint, though.
Progress_03-15-2020 (4).JPG
I had more to say, but, I gotta run. The wife is pushing me to get my arse in gear. And she's the boss!
All have a great day!
Guy

We modelers are prepared for this social distancing stuff. We've been practicing for years!
Alan- My cousin is a Nursing Supervisor at a local hospital and posted several virus precautions including "social distancing". She mentioned their long range planning includes a baby boom in about 9 months. You might mention this caution to Michael.

From the philosophy of Henny Youngman- "I miss my wife's cooking - as often as possible."

Good morning. 4 degrees and partly cloudy to start the day. Could possibly make it to the freezing point this afternoon. With all of the hoarding going on, my daughter couldn't find any toilet paper at any of the local stores and she has three kids at home. We buy in bulk and have enough on hand to let her have some. My daughter-in-law works at Lowes and they will probably have to shut down the rest rooms at the store because customers are stealing the toilet paper. That stuff is probably like 100 grit sandpaper. There is no real shortage of anything except for what has been created by panicing idiots.

Greg - That a really nice shot of the Milwaukee Road switcher. The Prairie has pickups on both the locomotive and tender. That's the one I got out of a friends scrap box that was pretty well stripped of any details and had no tender.

Curt - Missed the forum for a few weeks traveling and I am wondering if you have any plans for a new layout?

Terry - Hope that things improve for you in the near future.

Alan - I think that my layout may be over saturated with vehicles, but I am still on the lookout for ones that I don't have.

Willie - Good photos as usual. I put quite a few of those Walthers bumpers together. Time consuming. I had almost purchased that Bar Mills kit but ran out of room.

I did get down to the train room for a while yesterday as the NASCAR race was put on hold. I did pick up a couple of new trucks. The Chevy flat bed backed into the freight station next to the white tractor and trailer and the Ford stake bed backed into the potato warehouse.

thumbnail_20200315_125139.jpg

Here is the little Prairie doing some switching, dropping a couple of box cars off at a factory and then picking up an empty NP box car at the freight station.

thumbnail_20200315_130048.jpg

thumbnail_20200315_130403.jpg

thumbnail_20200315_130525.jpg

With the switching done, the NP box car was dropped off at the yard and the prairie backed into the last stall at the roundhouse. There is no stack on that last short bay so steamers are backed in.

thumbnail_20200315_130852.jpg

GARRY
- I don't have any ant hills on the layout, but I do have a few gopher holes like the one in the lower right of the next photo.

thumbnail_20200315_130909.jpg

Later

Good morning. 4 degrees and partly cloudy to start the day. Could possibly make it to the freezing point this afternoon. With all of the hoarding going on, my daughter couldn't find any toilet paper at any of the local stores and she has three kids at home. We buy in bulk and have enough on hand to let her have some. My daughter-in-law works at Lowes and they will probably have to shut down the rest rooms at the store because customers are stealing the toilet paper. That stuff is probably like 100 grit sandpaper. There is no real shortage of anything except for what has been created by panicing idiots.

Greg - That a really nice shot of the Milwaukee Road switcher. The Prairie has pickups on both the locomotive and tender. That's the one I got out of a friends scrap box that was pretty well stripped of any details and had no tender.

Curt - Missed the forum for a few weeks traveling and I am wondering if you have any plans for a new layout?

Terry - Hope that things improve for you in the near future.

Alan - I think that my layout may be over saturated with vehicles, but I am still on the lookout for ones that I don't have.

Willie - Good photos as usual. I put quite a few of those Walthers bumpers together. Time consuming. I had almost purchased that Bar Mills kit but ran out of room.

I did get down to the train room for a while yesterday as the NASCAR race was put on hold. I did pick up a couple of new trucks. The Chevy flat bed backed into the freight station next to the white tractor and trailer and the Ford stake bed backed into the potato warehouse.

View attachment 45186

Here is the little Prairie doing some switching, dropping a couple of box cars off at a factory and then picking up an empty NP box car at the freight station.

View attachment 45187

View attachment 45188

View attachment 45189

With the switching done, the NP box car was dropped off at the yard and the prairie backed into the last stall at the roundhouse. There is no stack on that last short bay so steamers are backed in.

View attachment 45190

GARRY
- I don't have any ant hills on the layout, but I do have a few gopher holes like the one in the lower right of the next photo.

View attachment 45191

Later
Chet, what brand is your turntable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back