Running Bear's June 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest keeping the ban on poly tics, and ask that no more than three layout shots per day. that would probably bring back the participants...

Soft sell on the idea instead of the blanket ruling might have been a better approach on this.

I did enjoy the social media aspect of these coffee shop threads... Oh well... I'll be here... not sure who else will be...

i'm not sure I can visit any longer. The whole reason for belonging to this forum was because it is every day people relating their every day life. Part of that life is their model railroad, big or small, complete or just starting. I for one like seeing they progress. I have participated on this forum for nearly 4 years, and layouts and car builds, weathering, structure builds have always, till now, been welcomed. Maybe exile isn't so bad.
LATER

You want to do that just because people were asked to post in appropriate forums - something you already do ??? Your choice and your decision.
The question is what is an appropriate forum? If willie wants to make a thread and get all technical about his layout, that might be appropriate for another forum. But posting his weekly shopping trip, his current garden harvest, and a few pics from his layout seems tk be the point of this forum. Coffee shops are for all kinds of discussions and banter including model train banter. I don’t remember seeing any posts in here, though I might have missed some, that should have gone elsewhere. Showing a current status updates on spline building is not the same as a technical discussion or how to on using splines to build a track plan. Very few of the posts here that include model train pics or comments are purely model train posts. They’re weather, food, vacation, and model train posts. And usually at a high or overview level. If someone ends up posting a technical how to on track laying or deep dive on weathering then maybe encourage them to post in an appropriate forum for posterity. But banning such discussions here seems counter productive.

My four basic food groups........Bacon, Cheese, Butter and Salt. These items go well with ANYTHING !

On Coffee Shop posting....one photo in relation to your post should be fine. However if you are posting a group of photos, I think they should be under the correct forum topic location.

On Poly-tics....If you direct any comments to any political party, I think that should NOT be allowed. However, talking about whats happening in our world today is NOT politics; such as todays economic situation ( inflation ) affecting rising prices in our hobby. Discussing morals ( simply what is right or wrong) good vs evil or established facts, should be allowed as long as it is the truth , not hearsay. We all have to keep "general interest" things within a certain boundary trying not to offend anyone. After all, while being the "Coffee Shop" it is still a model railroad forum overall. I am a non drinker but folks posting pictures of their favorite liquor does not offend me.

A famous man ( Abe Lincoln ? ) once said " You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time".

Just my thoughts....John

The question is what is an appropriate forum? If willie wants to make a thread and get all technical about his layout, that might be appropriate for another forum. But posting his weekly shopping trip, his current garden harvest, and a few pics from his layout seems tk be the point of this forum. Coffee shops are for all kinds of discussions and banter including model train banter. I don’t remember seeing any posts in here, though I might have missed some, that should have gone elsewhere. Showing a current status updates on spline building is not the same as a technical discussion or how to on using splines to build a track plan. Very few of the posts here that include model train pics or comments are purely model train posts. They’re weather, food, vacation, and model train posts. And usually at a high or overview level. If someone ends up posting a technical how to on track laying or deep dive on weathering then maybe encourage them to post in an appropriate forum for posterity. But banning such discussions here seems counter productive.

Being a newbie here, I think the other forums can be overwhelming. This is a safe place where almost anything goes. The other forums are for people that know what they are doing, or at least Have an Idea of what they want to do. I do not fall into that category. I just opened my Big Box O Trains and am trying to figure out what to do with them. I feel I can ask my stupid questions here and not irritate a lot of people.

As to the weather, we are going through a cold snap, only 95 today, should be in the 100's daily by now.

It is the preference Troy. People don't want to have to sift through page after page of stuff to find the hobby related items when they can go to the specific forum and what they want to know or see is right there.

As was pointed out to me, there is some stuff posted here that never gets seen by those who don't particularly like it here or have no interest in being in here BUT are interested in the hobby. Actually, Willies pictures was used as an example.

The other issue is new people aren't going to stay if there is nothing happening in the main forums - and THAT has become very obvious over the past x amount of months. New people join, post once or twice (maybe) and are never seen again because there is nothing happening in the area they joined for, and I don't blame them for not staying. Why would anyone stay anywhere is it were dead as a morgue?

All I am saying is please post your hobby related stuff in the appropriate forum for EVERYONE to see, comment on, learn from and enjoy - that is what the forums are for.
A simple solution for those who don't want to know the weather, what my wife is growing in her garden boxes, how Chad's house is coming along, what kinds of cars we drove, etc.

When one such person finds the coffee shop, sticks long enough to see that someone posts a lot of train pics in here, but gets offended by Willi's Onions and Green Beans... they can simply note the poster they want to follow.

Every morning/afternoon/whenever they open their crypt and log in here:
Go to the Members tab of the blue bar:
Find the name of the prolific poster you want to see photos from

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 4.35.55 AM.png

After you click the Ol' Buzzard's name, you'll find the profile
Clicking either of the two options I've circled brings up a rather nice list of posts.

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 4.37.53 AM.png

Let's all click on The Ol' Buzzard's Latest Activity option...

and Wah-LA! (insert magical assistant flourish)

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 4.57.49 AM.png

Pretty darn easy to find Willie's pic without looking at my wife's strawberries I posted about earlier.

As for Rules... This is what I found:

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 4.45.31 AM.png

Not sure where the Coffee Shop Rules are? They don't seem to get made anew, or follow along with each month's iteration thread. So Tony's post was a lightning bolt out of the blue that derailed one of the best parts of this place.

. Showing a current status updates on spline building is not the same as a technical discussion
So your saying, I, and anyone else in the same position, that already has a layout, it would be appropriate for us to post "updates" (because that's what they are), of our work regarding the layouts, and mines only up to 17 pages, in the coffee shop?

When one such person finds the coffee shop, sticks long enough to see that someone posts a lot of train pics in here, but gets offended by Willi's Onions and Green Beans... they can simply note the poster they want to follow.
I doubt anyone is offended by Willie's garden, I'm quite envious in fact,
1) he has a garden, (I dont).
2) he's very good at it, (I'm not)
3) he obviously, and quite rightly, is very proud of it, and so he should be. (I refer you to 1&2 above).

I think the point Tony is trying to make is that the coffee shop, which on the whole I enjoy, has become such a miss mash of post's of both general and technical, it's sometimes difficult to follow, expecially if your a new member, and is simply asking members to try and remember which goes where.

As for talk from some members of some kind of punishment, like being banned, all I will say to that, is, grow up and learn to read, your being ASKED NOT TOLD.

I think the point Tony is trying to make is that the coffee shop, which on the whole I enjoy, has become such a miss mash of post's of both general and technical, it's sometimes difficult to follow, expecially if your a new member, and is simply asking members to try and remember which goes where.
Question:
Is this a rule from the past, or a convention that some would like to have enforced as a rule?

I vaguely recall some description of Coffee Shop etiquette/rules/conventions but was not able to exercise my google-fu skills well enough to locate it on the forum.

As for talk from some members of some kind of punishment, like being banned, all I will say to that, is, grow up and learn to read, your being ASKED NOT TOLD.
I must respectfully disagree, unfortunately. I read Tony's post not as an "ask" but as a Mod commanding. The red letters make it rather official.

Screen Shot 2023-06-09 at 6.14.20 AM.png

That dropped like a bolt out of nowhere. Use of all caps, red text, and command words softened by a single "please" have this in the TELL category.

Could this have been handled better, and avoided the feel-badsies? Yep.

Now we deal with the fallout of people NOT sharing their work because of being commanded to post such elsewhere.

Question:
Is this a rule from the past, or a convention that some would like to have enforced as a rule?

I vaguely recall some description of Coffee Shop etiquette/rules/conventions but was not able to exercise my google-fu skills well enough to locate it on the forum.
I have no idea whether this is old or new, I'm limited as to what I can do on a smartphone.

I think Tony is simply trying to get some sort of order in place to make it easier to navigate the forum and find whatever your looking for, to be honest I nearly left after a few days here simply because it was so confusing,to navigate, and initally the coffee shop made it worse.

Now we deal with the fallout of people NOT sharing their work because of being commanded to post such elsewhere
Fair enough, but I disagree on the sharing part, I believe it will only make easier, as whatever your searching for should be where it supposed to be, and not where it isn't, and so easier to follow

I enjoy the coffee shop and Willie's garden and grocery shopping, and all the other things that go one, as well as the general RR banter, and I hope no one leaves over this, but it's their choice.

Tom O
Karl
Willie
Hughie
Patrick

Five prolific posters outside of the coffee shop always willing to share their experience and expertise...

Edited to move Sherrel to a separate category based on polytics and added Hughie and Patrick

It might be time to do some reevaluating of what happened and how to engage more people, not less.

(keep the ban on political and religious proselytizing... those never end well)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back