Running Bear's June 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
TERRY - Been wondering where you were hiding ... Glad to see that you are still on the "green side"!
I thought you were just hiding from all the drama? Sorry for your bout ... Hope that you are feeling much better!

TODD - Am I going to have to trip the main house breaker to stop the spying - phone, computer Alexa, toaster and vacuum cleaner -- beginning to wonder.
On the other hand I am thinking of a Presidential Run ... everyone else is!
Since I was feeling poorly, any posting I made would have probably been a lot more direct than people would like to see. Hence my decision to sit in a corner to avoid further drama all around.

I just come from HomeDepot. As I'm walking in 2 guys with 55 gallon black trash bags full of stuff come running out in a big hurry throwing the stuff in their car and leaving as fast as they can. The HomeDepot employees just watched as all this was taking place. I was going to take a video but then decided not to get involved. It's sad that this has now come to our palaceful small town.
Swal

Do they not know there will be plenty of security footage of this. I highly doubt that Home Depot doesn't have cameras set up everywhere including the parking lot where the car make and model will be clear and possibly the plate number. I'd be surprised if these idiots aren't all ready in jail.

Good Morning!

Looks like the weather is finally going to start co-operating. That's a good thing, as I would rather go on holidays in 60F weather than the 80F stuff.
Over the weekend, I'll be prepping the truck and getting the fishing stuff together.
We'll be travelling very light. No trailer and no tent; it's a motel trip all the way.
Nor will it be considered relaxation. The wife wants flowers and crab/prawns, and I want trains/planes and rocks. There will be considerable fishing in-between, but, only on a salt water license. BC has incredibly strict, expensive Provincial fresh water rules, so we want to stay in Federal territory. We can rest when we get home.

When I was reviewing filed photos yesterday, I found this photo of a DC-3 I built years ago, before I was into trains. This model is 1/144, which I believe is N-scale.
DouglasDC3.JPG
I believe that most folks don't put airports on their layouts due to real-estate issues, rather than the fact they might not like planes. The fact is, though, aircraft modelling is also a very comforting, fun hobby. There are a huge number of 1/144 kits available, but not so much in 1/87. That is just weird.

Anyway, I don't have a-lot of time today, to make posts. Thank God, for the ease of the Coffee Shop.

Have a great day!

Yo! Good morning. 66°, and sunny. Going to the low 80s.

Terry, welcome back. Nice that your feeling better.

Just back from my Thursday trip to ShopRite. Got away under $100.

According to an article in yesterdays Times Business News, the Supply Chain issues have been over for almost three months. They even included charts and graphs to support their position. Yet Sunday Morning, when two sections of I-95 in Philadelphia collapsed, the news media immediately reported "that this long term arterial shutdown would further harm an already strained supply chain"... Stop embellishing an already tragic story.
Not for nothing but I-95 in Philly, is an important commuter route, also utilized by local commerce. Most truckers follow the NJ Turnpike avoiding I-95 from Newport Delaware North. Personally, this myth of supply chain issues justifies continued higher prices, when other economic "laws" call for reductions....
For example, at my favorite local supermarket, the price of eggs is down to $2.99 a dozen, although the sign on the cooler door still warns of "continued shortages". We have been buying eggs (same brand), for $2.50 / dozen at the local warehouse club since before Easter, while the grocery was asking $7.99.

Big decision today, yard work or model railroad work.

Philadelphia E-1 L-5 Bn-41964-1965 Maxim Truck, Ford Hahn Engineand Studebaker Chiefs car.jpg

1965 - the days of Long canvas coats, thigh high boots and tin helmets. Ford / Hahn Engine, Maxim Ladder and Studebaker Bn. Chief's Buggy...Photo courtesy Philadelphia Fire Department.

Do they not know there will be plenty of security footage of this. I highly doubt that Home Depot doesn't have cameras set up everywhere including the parking lot where the car make and model will be clear and possibly the plate number. I'd be surprised if these idiots aren't all ready in jail.
OTOH, what good are the cameras if the local prosecutor won't prosecute theft It's becoming a reoccurring issue in this country.:confused::rolleyes:

A good few years ago I saw a model railway with a backscene of an airport. Four (or five) models of aircraft were parked 'other side of the fence'.

David
DAVID - Several years back - research is needed - we had a gentleman, I think he went by 'Army Air Force'? or close ... who mainly had an airport with trains. He was really good - I will see if I can find it!
His forte was building layouts for others - and - he built his daughter a fantasy rr layout.

managed to find his thread: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...n-az-the-warbird-graveyard.16843/#post-217734

Last edited:
DAVID - Several years back - research is needed - we had a gentleman, I think he went by 'Army Air Force'? or close ... who mainly had an airport with trains. He was really good - I will see if I can find it!
His forte was building layouts for others - and - he built his daughter a fantasy rr layout.

managed to find his thread: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...n-az-the-warbird-graveyard.16843/#post-217734
Talk about turning the way back machine. He always did great looking work.

I am a great believer in having something big on a backscene with a small part of it modelled.

A U.K. modeller doing a 'Days before D Day' layout had military hardware in a field (on the backscene). His favourite military models, once again, on the otherside of the railway fence.

Done correctly the scene looks much bigger than it really is.

David

Good morning. I think I've decided to survive my bout of Montezuma's Revenge.
In the meantime, I see everything here went to hell in a handbasket. Some people have responded in a mature manner to recent events. Others, not so much.
As of this writing, we have not heard from Bob, and wish him the best after losing his friend.
Terry, I'm just glad you are feeling better! That could have been much worse.

Personally, this myth of supply chain issues justifies continued higher prices, when other economic "laws" call for reductions....
Greed? Why bring prices down if sales are good?

I bought a dozen Jumbo eggs last week at Redner's for $1.39!

Whatever the market will bear. Capitalism isn't perfect, but it is the best choice we have!

Last edited:
Glad to see the Coffee Shop is getting back to normal. I, like Patrick, shall remain.

One for Jaz.

At Grosmont.

View attachment 170009

David
Now that is a beauty, I do have some buildings for a second NYMR North Yorkshire Moors Railway where Goathland is sited, not this one unfortunately I think this one has the turn table which I have but not reason to add at the moment, the one on the NYMR only has a single building so an easy fit. There is a spot down from Goathland that could take the second station, I use it as a work bench but it would be worth giving up the spot for another station, something for the future.

Good Morning All!
54F @ 78% and dark.

Did you catch the news about the Amazon delivery guy? Apparently he rang the doorbell and heard some kind of racial slur. Called his dispatch whom called somebody higher up. That resulted in Amazon shutting down his Alexa. Big Brother ... right? The thing is Alexa also controlled most/parts of his house which shut down various things, Lights is what they mention, did not say anything about Heat/AC or if the door(s) got unlocked or not, or what ever else was in the mix. Come to find out the homeowner was not there so who knows what the driver heard as he did have a headset on. Amazon's spokesman said something like "At Amazon, we strive to give our customers a friendly environment when using any of our devices; and stated Alexa was shutdown by mistake". Then kinda apologized to the customer. What? What if Amazon determines that they do not like Red cars, and if Video Doorbell sees one in your driveway with you getting out, they shut you down? A whole myriad of crap could happen here. On top of that, what about security? Most people do not have a clue about securing any of their devices/computer or even that WiFi enabled refer, so hackers *could* get into your devices and have their way with the house ( and you ). Alexa does call home you know?

Which also brings up those EFI chips in your new(er) PC that Micro$oft ( and others ) want. The OS reads those chips on boot and somehow determines if your hard drive has been tampered with. If it has, the OS tells you about that and will not bring up the Desktop. Guess what? Windows update can read/write to those chips of which Micro$oft can decide you can not have W11 for free anymore and not allow a boot until you fork over $$$. Well, Micro$oft is an upstanding company and would not do that, right? IBM DOS was pirated and converted into MS DOS many moons ago. So their track record is not all that good.

And we do not even want to talk about all those Chinese devices you have; many of those call home too.

Maybe Later!
I got one of the last Teslas out of the US before Germany set up shop,so hopefully my chips are salt and vinegar not soy sauce

Yo! Good morning. 66°, and sunny. Going to the low 80s.

Terry, welcome back. Nice that your feeling better.

Just back from my Thursday trip to ShopRite. Got away under $100.

According to an article in yesterdays Times Business News, the Supply Chain issues have been over for almost three months. They even included charts and graphs to support their position. Yet Sunday Morning, when two sections of I-95 in Philadelphia collapsed, the news media immediately reported "that this long term arterial shutdown would further harm an already strained supply chain"... Stop embellishing an already tragic story.
Not for nothing but I-95 in Philly, is an important commuter route, also utilized by local commerce. Most truckers follow the NJ Turnpike avoiding I-95 from Newport Delaware North. Personally, this myth of supply chain issues justifies continued higher prices, when other economic "laws" call for reductions....
For example, at my favorite local supermarket, the price of eggs is down to $2.99 a dozen, although the sign on the cooler door still warns of "continued shortages". We have been buying eggs (same brand), for $2.50 / dozen at the local warehouse club since before Easter, while the grocery was asking $7.99.

Big decision today, yard work or model railroad work.

View attachment 170023
1965 - the days of Long canvas coats, thigh high boots and tin helmets. Ford / Hahn Engine, Maxim Ladder and Studebaker Bn. Chief's Buggy...Photo courtesy Philadelphia Fire Department.
Across the board stuff is just goinghaywire.

Excuses raise prices, drought here has started to elevate potatoe prices
the burst dam in Ukraine is being cited as a cause for higher food prices but it appears much of the effected area was under Russian control anyway.

A lot of UK people are on the solar wagon even though the government incentives have gone,luckily we got a gov bounce, and a lot of people are turning to woodburners us inc but we have trees and dead wood and cut trees so can supply, wood prices are high since the Ukraine/Russia issue but still better than electricity. interest rates are hurting buyers. The incentives for house renters have been diminished and with raised mortgage this might start a house price crash,long term likely good,short term very bad. Many people in the bottom half and lower are being choked.

grateful we capture and hold water as I think we are in for a bad drought,grass is dry a good thunderstorm skirted us left us dry, although as we see people in the US are in far far worst troubles at the moment :( We are cutting trees and grasses around the outbuilding and main home though as a precaution. Being insured is not much good if lives are lost :(

The basket price comparisons are a joke as I certainly do not buy the smallest tea milk etc I buy large look at price per kilo not unit price and if something is on a genuine good offer and I use it I might buy 6 mty-one years worth. those people who laughed at me for prepping for. Brexit are not laughing now, I kept records of prices as well.
Toilet paper I was bough 9 rolls of andrex (larger rolls than now) for £3.33 try and beat that price
I boughtargentinium corned beef for 1.50 or 2, local supermarkets want 3.5 or 4. tinned ham, tinned fish, all terrible now

Hutch They had those black Covid masks on. Only a very few people wear masks anymore. I had to stop by Lowe's because HomeDepot didn't have the item I wanted and the old guy in front of me was having a hard time paying for his purchases. I told the checkout woman what I seen at HomeDepot about not paying at all. She said they use the CA rule don't stop them if it's under $900.00. I don't know if that true or not but that's what she told me. She said don't get involved just let them take the stuff. I'm sure my home value will increase now that stealing is OK here now.
Swal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back