Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning folks: I survived the malay to SAN Diego yesterday, somehow! Two cars as we needed the truck to bring back the crate for the pup - plus huge bags that would not all fit in the CRV. Wife and I had planned to leave here at 7:15 for an 8:45 arrival - WRONG! We actually left at 7:30, got about 5 miles down the freeway and BAMB, traffic was at a crawl. The next 60 miles was a crawl and 35 and another crawl -- we spent 2 full hours in the 65 mile trip....and we used the Fast-track whenever we could (can't wait for the next bill from them) ! So we finally got there at a little after 9:35 with the daughter, kids, and pup only standing by the curb for 10 min or so.

Watched the All-Star game last evening - a good game, but I would like to have seen more runs scored and lots more base running action. So the National League finally got the win - it had been 10 plus years for them.

I have no idea what is on tap for today - except dining experience with Spousal Units older sister who will be 83/84?

Temperature surprised us yesterday with a top out of 97 degrees; the ad for today says a 91 high with clear and sunny ... love the low humidity climate here.
WHERE'S WALDO! DID NOT REALIZE how camouflaged a 40 pound turtle can blend in the flower beds and shrubs.

PATRICK - I am happy to see your "Alien Avatar" back. The one of Jeffrey kept me confused - which does.nt take much nowadays.

Well, howdy there again, peeps of the webz.

I may (fingers and toes crossed) finally have the 3d printer woes figured out.

This particular printer was manufactured back at the height of the chip/parts/screen shortage two years ago. I picked it up on the sale that signaled a new version was coming along in a month. It was a good deal, and I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

BUT this is the first time I've had this issue. And it mimics a lot of other issues. Finally chased it down, by rerunning calibration tests. Found one that is a lot easier to read than the others.
358586157_6437663402967446_4853034257787470668_n.jpg

Looks like the LCD screen or the light array below it is slowing down. The array is fairly standard, but that screen size and model is very tough to find right now.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 77F and humid. Currently very overcast but I think the rain has passed us by again. I did several indoor chores this morning and finished working on the freight cars and they're back on the layout. Tomorrow, I have to take Dad to the VA so that will kill a bunch of the day.

Louis- The baby will stomp the older skunks and raise her tail, but the adult skunks could care less at this point. 🦨

Bob- Hope Rocky is doing well.

Willie- I don't envy you the prep in the hospital hooked up to medical equipment but I hope everything went well today.

Mac- Interesting photos.

Karl- That blows. Luckily it sounds like no broken parts.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon All from the civilized world of the SFW estate. It's clear and 102°, going up to 104°, heat index currently at 108°.

OK, back to a real keyboard and my 23" monitor. Thanks to all who posted get well soon wishes.

Terrible experience for the last week. I hate hospitals to begin with, even if I am just visiting someone else. Start with the obvious gross stuff of internal bleeding last Thursday and Friday, bloody diarrhea, but it went away and I chalked it up to a possible E. Coli infection. But it got worse with a burning sensation in the throat while the diarrhea went away. By midday Sunday I was also having chest pains and couldn't walk 20' without stopping to rest. Stubborn me still didn't want to go to the hospital, but I eventually went when chest pains appeared, and the nitroglycerine didn't do any good.. The ER folks freaked out because the red cell count was nearly absent and a possible very minor heart attack was about to begin. EKG was good though. But the bloody stool from Thursday got their attention more. They did start a two liter blood transfusion which was when I started to worry. But there was NO gastro-intestinal person in all of Denton available Sunday night! So into an ambulance for a 45 mile ride to their associate hospital in Arlington TX. Probably a dumb move for me to agree to, as they didn't do anything until Tuesday anyway. I probably could have been seen Monday otherwise. Upper GI was no problem, so the prep for a colonoscopy started for Wednesday morning. Nothing there either, so after 3 1/2 days I know nothing. They did clear me and send me home. The chest and upper body pains were a direct result of not having enough blood for the body's needs. They still don't know what caused the earlier bleeding. Of course I am stressed because I had spent all of that time in a medical facility 70 miles from home (wife had to make several round trips including in the night), but we and they still have no answer except that I am now OK. The blood tests performed both Tuesday and today showed everything almost normal except for iron. Easy fix there, I'll just eat a few nails. I'll check out the stamina in a few minutes when I walk the 250' round trip to take the festering garbage out to the dumpster. Then I will make a similar attempt in the opposite direction to the train shed.

I had to endure 4 missed needle pricks, part of my hatred for hospitals, no food or beer for 3 1/2 days, no shower, and most of the staff in Arlington did not speak English as a primary language; which on top of both of my hearing aid batteries failing at different points made communication difficult. I actually had the foresight to bring batteries with me, but Arlene took them home Monday in my pants pocket. The GI doc and the hospital resident actually spoke very well and that was a real help. The social worker also spoke well, but I had no use for her! The rest of the crew hailed from India, Thailand, Pakistan, Nepal and a few more places that I couldn't identify. They mostly did their jobs well, I say mostly, but the missed needle jabs speak otherwise. But communication was difficult. Hell! if they had spoken Spanish, I would have been better off since I can communicate in that language OK. It was mainly the accents!

Anyway, the bottom line is that I have been cleared and I am at home. A nice discovery as well is that through three separate blood tests, my A1c has dropped to 5.2 and my total cholesterol level was around 155. I always look at bright sides.

I did try to keep up with the forum on my phone, Coffee Shop only, but I am six pages behind there. As stated, I cannot use that tiny keyboard.

Again, I sincerely wish to thank all of you for the well wishes and prayers, which is why I believe that I am still able to post this. Thank you all.

Hello again from the same hospital bed. Upper GI was inconclusive although, it did come out well. Still can't type on this thing. Staying another day for a colonoscophy tomorrow. No more internal bleeding yet. Be back soon.
OH Yeah! Being tethered to all if the monitors, scopes and IV's was no treat either.
Glad to have you back.

Morning folks: I survived the malay to SAN Diego yesterday, somehow! Two cars as we needed the truck to bring back the crate for the pup - plus huge bags that would not all fit in the CRV. Wife and I had planned to leave here at 7:15 for an 8:45 arrival - WRONG! We actually left at 7:30, got about 5 miles down the freeway and BAMB, traffic was at a crawl. The next 60 miles was a crawl and 35 and another crawl -- we spent 2 full hours in the 65 mile trip....and we used the Fast-track whenever we could (can't wait for the next bill from them) ! So we finally got there at a little after 9:35 with the daughter, kids, and pup only standing by the curb for 10 min or so.

Watched the All-Star game last evening - a good game, but I would like to have seen more runs scored and lots more base running action. So the National League finally got the win - it had been 10 plus years for them.

I have no idea what is on tap for today - except dining experience with Spousal Units older sister who will be 83/84?

Temperature surprised us yesterday with a top out of 97 degrees; the ad for today says a 91 high with clear and sunny ... love the low humidity climate here.
WHERE'S WALDO! DID NOT REALIZE how camouflaged a 40 pound turtle can blend in the flower beds and shrubs.

PATRICK - I am happy to see your "Alien Avatar" back. The one of Jeffrey kept me confused - which does.nt take much nowadays.
Sounds like you DIDN'T visit the San Diego Model Railroad Museum in Balboa Park. If you ever go back, and particularly if you haven't yet seen it, it'll be worth every minute and every dollar.

First, and @Willie: Seriously...get completely well soonest.

You disappear...then come back after the big kerfluffle...and then you disappear again....

[ok, ok. With good reason both times]....

But if you keep doing it, I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. :p

============

Next: This is a true story.

My sister knows a gal* who was one of her bridesmaids. She shall remain unamed here.

This lady's* big brother--and he's a very big, very wide man--is Gabe Newell. Gabe is a multi-billionaire, perhaps best known today as the CEO and driving force behind gaming conglomerate "STEAM." I gather he came up first with a short stint at Microsoft, then worked for a while with the crowd at "Doom," and still later on founded "Valve Software," who best known game(s) were "Half-Life" and its follow-ons.

He's a good guy too, according to my sister, who has met him and spent some time with him and his own little sister.

=========

At some point Gabe's little sister is having some trouble making the rent on her apartment one month, so she swallows her pride and and asks him for a loan to tide her over.

[She will probably be a multi-millionaire in her own right when he passes, but until then they each take care of themselves]

"He didn't give me the loan," she told my sister, "but he sure solved my problem!"

"He bought my whole building...".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back