Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 75F and as usual getting a feel like temps of 100+. I did a couple of outside chores while it was "cool". In the train room/garage today I finished 44 trees and planted them and trimmed and painted the next 22. I've completed putting trees on the right side and peninsula, so I only have the left side to do. I figure another 40-60 trees will finish the job. I'll do a short video when I'm done.

Patrick- Glad the movie wasn't crap like so many these days.

Guy- Welcome back. My first steamer was a Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 with the pizza cutter wheels that did not play well with code 83 track at the club. I didn't have a layout at the time.

Mac- Neat photo.

Jazz- I think our military is getting to the point (manpower) that if you can remember your name 2 out of 3 times, you're in. The Navy wanted their recruiters to work 6 days a week. So much for shore duty. I think it's mainly a sign of our society. SMH. (Not a political statement).

TomO- Nice progress on the engine house.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt

Good afternoon gang!

Just got done with shopping with SWMBO. 1st stop, Home depot. Ordered her a new steam mop (none, of any brand in store) to be delivered Monday. More wood glue and posts for the garden fence. Then Wally World for groceries then a final stop at the liquor store for some Twisted Tea.

Speaking of drinks, Safeway and Walmart are now carrying Mountain Dew Zero sugar Baja Blast. Previously it was only available at Taco Bell, but it was so popular that it now is in stores. Its like regular mountain dew, with a hint of watermelon. I did get a 12 pack the other day at the Safeway across from my work. Yummy!!

Remember to stay inside as much as possible, and drink plenty of water between 11 AM and November 2nd...
Sorry to disappoint you, out all day and on my third cup of coffee, hiking on the railroad, in and out of my car.
20230701_084211.jpg

Beer somewhere in between while in Jim Thorpe, hey i walked it off before getting back in my car. Sitting inside live steam locomotive cab probably caused to evaporate it anyway
20230701_135736.jpg

Back on the tracks:
20230701_134313-1.jpg

And living;)
20230701_133501_HDR.jpg

Even made some friends along the way:
20230701_121031.jpg

This Praying Mantice didn't want to get off my arm:)
While tearing through Pennsylvania jungle barely got what turned out to be best pan shot;
20230701_175457.jpg

THE END
20230701_175536_HDR-1.jpg

Sorry to disappoint you, out all day and on my third cup of coffee, hiking on the railroad, in and out of my car.View attachment 171045
Beer somewhere in between while in Jim Thorpe, hey i walked it off before getting back in my car. Sitting inside live steam locomotive cab probably caused to evaporate it anywayView attachment 171046
Back on the tracks:View attachment 171047
And living;)View attachment 171048
Even made some friends along the way:View attachment 171049
This Praying Mantice didn't want to get off my arm:)
While tearing through Pennsylvania jungle barely got what turned out to be best pan shot;View attachment 171050
THE ENDView attachment 171051
Looks like you had a great day, love the pics.

Welp... corn chowder was fine. Used half and half in it... I think it needs a pack of sharp cheddar next time.

Sis-in-law is down near Terry in Tampa for a week visiting her grandson. So SIL's roomie came over to help eat the corn chowder.

I worked on miniatures today, but they were kind of railroad related...

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.54.36 PM.png

Still a bit of touchup to do... need to drybrush the magic blue rocks

That's 2 bases that serve as "regiments" in the game, but I laid out the scenics so I can slide them together into a "horde" size

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.54.24 PM.png

Models are 3d Printed from the artist "Asgard Rising"

Morning. Foggy outside, but today will be train chasing real live Reading 4-8-4 T1, so prelude of things to come:View attachment 171013
This little "Consolidation" is standing not far away also:View attachment 171014
Both at Steamtown N.P.
RDG # 2124 was in the Movie From the Terrace filmed in the early '60s. Since the T-1 class was prohibited from the Ninth Street Branch and Reading Terminal,in Philadelphia, the arrival / departure scenes were filmed at CNJ's Jersey City Terminal. Movie based on a book written by John O'Hara, (a native of Pottsville Pa.). O'Hara used the name Gibbsville as the alter ego for Pottsville, in his work. True Schuylkill County Legend.

Good Morning!

It's going to be a busy day mowing and cleaning up the yard following the holiday. We never saw a drop of rain on the west coast our entire trip, but it seems to have rained torrents here at home. The yard is a jungle right now.

Not going to bore you with a bunch of holiday photos. I just want to show the difference in weather conditions as we ventured toward Vancouver Island.
This is what it looked like crossing the Rockies in Alberta, the day we left:
View attachment 171018

The BC side of the Rockies was when we hit the sunshine, and the sun stayed with us the entire trip:
View attachment 171019

Vancouver Island was sunny and very warm the entire trip. It was kinda like being in paradise, if your a land-lubber from NW Alberta.
View attachment 171020

Turns out, I wasn't able to get a whole bunch of railroad photos as I intended. The wife had other tourist stuff in mind.
I did manage to stop here and there to snap the odd photo if it was convenient.
This is part of the CN yard in Squamish, BC. Looks more like a boneyard:
View attachment 171021

I've spent a wee bit of time looking into the nature of that Rivarossi 4-6-2 that I bought in an antique shop.
It seems the model is called the Rivarossi Blue Comet. If it was actually in existence, I don't know who built them, but, they were known as the Heavy Pacific.
Mine does run. It kinda stutters in slow speed, but the stuttering chug disappears when you open it up a-bit.
Here's an internet photo of the very exact same model that I purchased:
View attachment 171023
I still don't have time to take photos of mine, but will sometime soon. For only $75.00, I believe it was a good buy.

Anyway, I'd better make tracks. It's back to walk the dog, mow the lawn and other chores; plus the honey-do list, etc,etc,etc...

Have a great day, everyone!!
The model is a USRA Heavy Pacific, which dates back to WW1 era. Not exactly a CNJ Pacific, but close to a B&O Pacific. CNJ (aka the Jersey Central), ran the train i the 1930s. It was one of the first "All Coach" feature trains, and during the 1930s was a popular link between (New York via Ferry), Jersey City to Atlantic City NJ on a fast daily schedule. Cars were upgrades of standard Jersey Central coaches, cafe's and observations. Some of the passenger cars remained in service into the 70s. Locomotive was painted similarly to the one in the photo. Not a bad find for $75.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 75F and as usual getting a feel like temps of 100+. I did a couple of outside chores while it was "cool". In the train room/garage today I finished 44 trees and planted them and trimmed and painted the next 22. I've completed putting trees on the right side and peninsula, so I only have the left side to do. I figure another 40-60 trees will finish the job. I'll do a short video when I'm done.

Patrick- Glad the movie wasn't crap like so many these days.

Guy- Welcome back. My first steamer was a Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 with the pizza cutter wheels that did not play well with code 83 track at the club. I didn't have a layout at the time.

Mac- Neat photo.

Jazz- I think our military is getting to the point (manpower) that if you can remember your name 2 out of 3 times, you're in. The Navy wanted their recruiters to work 6 days a week. So much for shore duty. I think it's mainly a sign of our society. SMH. (Not a political statement).

TomO- Nice progress on the engine house.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Fire Departments as well as Police and Paramedic units are having a great deal of trouble recruiting competent people, irrespective of gender. It's a widespread problem. I'm at a loss to reason why.

That looks familiar. ;) Prototype dog leg reverse loop too... Never thought of it that way before. NS Savannah on upper left at the old Grain elevator. This scene never gets old.
I knew you would recognize the photo. I enjoyed my time working there for Sampling Associates International. The mechanical sampler was fascinating, but boring to operate. When we ran good dry coal, I could watch the rotary dumper between gathering the samples.

Curtis Bay was even more fun. All the samples were gathered by hand. I was young then, jumping from hopper to hopper was easy. We were supposed to climb up and down, but nobody complained about how fast I could sample a train. Dig three holes in each hopper. Take one shovel full of coal from the bottom of each hole and put it in the bag. Repeat over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back