Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grrrrrrr

Just sent out an author newsletter via email. I try to do one every weekend. Most of the time.

Since this is my birthday week, I wanted to get one out with some specials, but I forgot to line one of my books up for free. Instead, I found a couple of author friends running 99c specials on a few of their books and sent those links out.

And in the first five minutes, had two people unsubscribe.

View attachment 148171

No problems. Happens all the time. I do it too. (the open rate will climb to about 35% by tomorrow).

One joker hit the Report Spam button. You get on my list voluntarily. Either by signing up via a get a "freeebie" or via a group giveaway, and you get a couple of emails from me explaining that, and asking for you to hit the nice "No longer want to receive these" button if it's not your cuppa tea.

I know... one or two spam complaints don't hurt my rating with the email sites. BUT... really? :eek:🙀

Sorry. Had to vent.
Troy, it's kind of a long story, but I've been cleaning my wife's email account of stuff I don't want in my inbox. While she was interested, I've been unsubscribing as I get emails for her about stuff I don't want. There have been several without a clear "unsubscribe" link. Those have been sent to my junk (spam) folder. When I do that, my email client automatically sends a spam report about the email. That lone report could well be something similar. I can't be the only one cleaning out a loved one's emails...

Currently our son and his fiance want me to move down here to live near them. With the way the current housing situation is, I’m not sure how that would work. Though, to be honest, there is very little holding me in North Carolina now. Mynephew, that I don’t really have much to do with, and my wife’s youngest sister and her sons, that I do.
We’ll work has been a pain, but your housing is cheap, would you have better luck on the work front? But could spiralling prices effect you, the present owner seems happy to have a reliable renter and you have room, if there was grandkids I would be more tempted personally, would you be ok packing up the life you shared there. oh and would the weather be better, less winter do less heating as heating bills are likely to become an issue, and if less winter driving. Has the son been stable in the area and his work for ages, so he might not be likely to move if you move, is the fiancée likely to be a daughter in law, and then grandkids would be on the cards, which would be nice.
Lots of issues to think on. in sone ways a new start may turn out well,especially for job opportunities and driving distance, but a cheap home is a cheap home, unless they are saying move in with them, or get something larger togetherr,again though a wife would be more stable than a fiancé.
decidions decisions. Good luck choosing. The best way.With the wife passed,there is less angst there,although I hated losing my dad and would be horrified to lose my husband.
Pros may be = Better work, cheaper living, shorter drive, nicer weather, potential for grandkids whilst your willing to look at moving to be near them, and might get childminding duties (pros and cons again) also if nearer the son if you personally have bad health easier for them to help you.
Its a hard decision, only you can make it, best luck which ever way you jump.

Several in this family -- No such thing as a "former" Marine!
My husbands time in the forces have and still do have a major impact on our choices, and all to the good. You get the odd ‘bad egg’, but usually an ex serviceman has values. a shame the government can’t use our vets. Luckily our families benefit. Lucky for me mine has no nasty effects from his time, even though he was invalided out, he has gone on to overcome most of the injury issue, and many now would not even know, in fact at the time not many would know either, he wrecked his ankle the muscles, over the years his body has compensated, but he lost a lot of years playing with the kids, no football no rugby and no hockey or lacrosse, still with my gamy leg at te moment he can easily outrun me, lol.

You have my appreciation And thoughts, My wife is still coughing but it does get better.
Make sure she takes vit c zinc vit d and k2, eats a god diet, and you too, wear a mask, as you do not want you both down at the same time, and be patient, and tell Iher I said she needs patience too,(like she’ll care what I say lol) because this will put a burden on you regardless. thoughts are with you, hope she recovers quickly.

Last edited:
As Chad says, it effects different people different ways. I had the original version of COVID. Had the low blood oxy levels, viral pneumonia, slight fever a little over 100, lack of appetite, dizziness at times and of course the feeling of malaise. At 72 I think I was supposed to die or something, but I didn't. When the fever broke, I got back to being busy and went outside and trenched in my downspouts to route the water out to the woods. Yeah, felt weak and got winded pretty easy, but the objective was to get active again and not let the Wuhan Virus get me down.
Well we, I am glad you did not die! the first was the scariest, the unknown, the doctors guessing, the politicians guessing, us guessing, thankfully you were healthy enough to fight it.
I think being as healthy as you can, making the effort of exercise and diet, and avoiding food we know is bad for us. Sighs, thinks back to some of the foods I miss, still I have a great diet so can’t complain, anyway being as healthy as you can in case you get it, better for your survival chances.

IF any of you have family who are overweight who are on a low fat diet, tell them to eat fat, and stop eating sugar in all its forms, and they will lose the belly fat. if you eat the fat AND the sugars you will end up worse off, and calorie counting will work, you justt have to be honest!
If you gain weight your over eating, if you stay the same weight your going to drop the daily intake to lose weight.

My husband has now lost 5 stone, I have lost 2 plus, I slowed down as my arm skin was getting saggy,but once my skin fits me again I plan to drop the calories again. I am a UK 12, sometimes can get in a UK 10 yeah! And US women cheat, their clothes say 6 when they should say 12, anyway I am a decent weight, and at 5 foot 4 inches which was short when I was young,but the women near me all are shorter, although sone were not, so their stature has dropped I still walk tall lol. Good height - good health, short height = poor nutrients.

Patrick - who is Aunt Edna?
Ever see National Lampoon's Vacation?

If so remember what happened?

DJ was talking about people going on a 2 week vacation just as he came for a visit, so Aunt Edna popped in my head...

Aunt Edna.jpg

Afternoon All,

Started with some inside chores then headed to the train room. I started out laying down blue painters tape for where the gravel path will be. That took about 90 minues then after lunch I put down the first layer of ground cover (dirt) around the mine area. That took about 2 hours with sore legs and knees from leaning over the layout on a step stool. Fun times. :rolleyes:

Thank you for all the photo likes yesterday. I was kinda surprised since it was pretty sparse.

Terry- I thought you lived in MD.

Louis- Sounds like a great party. Sorry to miss it.

Todd- I hope you get your new truck quickly. I think you said it had 98k miles on it already. How long will a semi last for?

Dave- I'm glad you got your electrical figured out. That wiring isn't bad. Mine wasn't bad untill I started with lighting and now it looks like a snake pit. Nice progress on the layout.

Joe- Thank you. The B&O photo is very nice.

Willie- Great scenes. I really like the Uncle Tony's sign.

Troy- People are jerks.

layout94.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, I live in NC, it seems to be the Kens and Karls and Louises that live in MD.

Jaz, the kids are approaching 50, so no grandchildren would be in the works.

Housing looks like it would be an issue, with thousands moving into the state daily. On the way here, there were almost more Uhauls than cars on the road. I went into an auto parts store for a bottle of windshield fluid and was offered a job, so it looks like employment shouldn’t be a challenge. I did move out of Florida 15 years ago for a reason. I’m not sure if the current events in my life would make things better or worse if I moved back.

Troy, it's kind of a long story, but I've been cleaning my wife's email account of stuff I don't want in my inbox. While she was interested, I've been unsubscribing as I get emails for her about stuff I don't want. There have been several without a clear "unsubscribe" link. Those have been sent to my junk (spam) folder. When I do that, my email client automatically sends a spam report about the email. That lone report could well be something similar. I can't be the only one cleaning out a loved one's emails...
Yes I agree, people are horrible, they find something free, and they think it’s an obligation on the person that gives it, whilst giving nothing back,and have a fit when just once they do not get it free. ignore them, they are not worth your angst.

I gave out free eggs, I paid for the chickens,the housing,the water,the feeding tools, the food to feed them,and put in hours of work, when Covid first hit and shops were being hit with shortages, some when I tried to offer FREE thought I wanted payment and tried to dodge me,one woman who shut the door in my face, then struck up a conversation and tried to get the free eggs, yeah not happening, another over a year later,said oh YOUR the chicken lady hint hint, I turned deaf. when we first arrived and had loads of land we grew any seed we could get our hands on, and when we had far too much to eat,freeze or process gave it away,and people were picking it over complaint over very small mark,like a scratch on a large zucchini, I just composted the excess,because I got fed up being nice and being treated like I was doing THEM a favour. Yeah next year there was hints,again I went deaf.We let a neighbour drop off their tree/shrub cuttings they needed to get rid of,then found they were taking our wood clippings, which we bought in! They were like but I’m giving you free wood and I am only taking a little. in my ex;erience doing anything nice for people gives them the opportunity to think themselves better.A woman was struggling to get to places with the rise in fuel, I offered to drive her as I have solar for fuel bills, and twice she did not come for the lift, and yet I had stopped work,got cleaned,dressed,tidied the car, and was left like a lemming. No more. She thought because she decided not to take the lift I was good, gee thanks for telling me!

YOU have given a free reading regularly, they could have waited until next month, they could have been grateful for what they got so far, and kindly asked if you were stopping this, at least before unsubscriibing. At least they won’t get the next free as they do not deserve it. People are gits. your a nice person - a little snarky - grins - and trying to do his best in a bad world, your best is good their attitude sinks. forget them.

Fortunately, my emails have prominent unsub links at the bottom. And, the first email I send a new acquire says I'll send 1/week.
and, here's a BIG RED UNSUB button at the top. That works well to get the bargain hunters out.

Looking at the person's history with my emails, I suspect they hit the "Report Spam" button on accident.

However, I'm not supposed to email them again. AND I cannot re-add them. They have to do that. The system has them toggled as Unsub'd

Oh, well....

Working on getting the cabinets in for the wetbar in the train room/basement. I got the baseboard cut free Parked the first one, got it leveled. Now to start running screws into the wall.

Plumbers come out on Wed to run new water lines and connect everything.

Good Afternoon Everyone out there in Model Railroad Land. Keeping this short and to the point.

Just was released from the Hospital after falling down the hallway steps from the backdoor to garage. Paramedics arrived and stood me up and helped me into the kitchen. The next day I couldn't stand so an Ambulance was called and I was taken to the local hospital. I was admitted to the Modified ICU and they found I had Chronic Heart Failure. Fun.

A modified diet and lots of meds to prevent additional damage.

I'll be checking in a bit but my Model Railroad comments with be few and far between.

Keep on rolling down the track!

Greg

####################

1656886086965.png

Good Afternoon All. Raining and 77°. Yes raining! It wasn't in the forecast this morning so it is an absolute surprise. It appears to be almost over and there is 0.50" in the rain gauge. It was 97° two hours ago, so this is a welcome relief for the yard/lawn.
Neighbor Marty spent the morning retrieving all of the big round hay bales from my hayfield that he baled yesterday. The yield was 2.2 bales/acre which isn't too bad. Average is 1.5-2/acre most years with one year at 5.
Spent about an hour this afternoon processing tomatoes for plain tomato sauce. There are four pints in the canner right now. I'll know in a few minutes whether the seals succeeded or not. Just didn't have enough ripe ones for any more except a couple hundred cherry tomatoes. Most of those are going to my brother's home tomorrow when we go there for the July 4 fireworks show at the country club across the street. Current guest list shows 28 adults and 17 kids.

Curt, I live in NC, it seems to be the Kens and Karls and Louises that live in MD.

Jaz, the kids are approaching 50, so no grandchildren would be in the works.

Housing looks like it would be an issue, with thousands moving into the state daily. On the way here, there were almost more Uhauls than cars on the road. I went into an auto parts store for a bottle of windshield fluid and was offered a job, so it looks like employment shouldn’t be a challenge. I did move out of Florida 15 years ago for a reason. I’m not sure if the current events in my life would make things better or worse if I moved back.
Well if you do not know which to go for, I suspect life is not that bad where you are,when you retire can you afford your present home, because that does seem one to ponder.

Terry: Not giving advice, but passing some things to consider. How long before you retire? How secure is your current living arrangement? Where might you find housing you can afford and live moderately comfortably? These are primary factors to consider. It's apparent you can find employment just about anywhere, so that is less of a consideration right now. Good luck with your new path,what ever it may be.

Greg: Take care, and get well. Best wishes.

Willie: Enjoy the 4th with your family.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back