Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be embarrassing.

The wife took the car to the car wash on Thursday. On Friday, she detailed the interior. On Saturday we had the problem and had to call for a tow. On Sunday we were literally on short rations because we couldnt get to the store. On Monday the dealer gave us a loner. On Tuesday (yesterday) the dealer called. It seems that when the wife put the floor mats back in the car, she put the driver's mat over, instead of under, the accelerator and brake pedals: press on the accelerator and the brake pedal is also pressed. The effect from my perspective was almost the same as when I would press the accelerator and the transmission would/will pause between gears.

Note: We have Weathertech contoured floor mats, which are larger and stiffer than dealer mats.

FB_IMG_1561499292255.jpg

I do own a pickup ('09 Colorado standard cab W/T). I would say that having a smaller truck is an advantage, but 2 of my BIL's have full size crew cabs that can't carry as much in the bed. They can out run me, out pull me, but they have to stop more for gas and can't haul as much. Plus I can really only have 1 passenger instead of the 5 they have to haul.

On a side note: Everyone have a safe Independence Day.

Good Afternoon Everyone...............sunny and humid. Just finished my jobs so I could spend tomorrow down in the layout room, but the neighbor invited us to a pool/yard party, so there goes the train time in favor of watching bikini clad babes swimming and slipping a few cold ones.

Drove to a hardware store where a guy spent 10 minutes assisting me find a spring that would fit the grill parts. $1.39 for the spring and 20 miles of travel.

On line at lunch I found a set of six coal hoppers that I could use for the mine coal hauling. No bids as of yet so I may make a low ball bid and see what happens. I have to be careful when on E-Bay and not go overboard on purchases.

Have to fly my drones at the cabin this weekend. I haven't been airborne since last year and I have one drone that just sits in its box and never have flown it.

That's all for now............

Greg

####################################

IMG_0374.JPG

This C&NW caboose needs some weathering to match the gondola. This water feature was one of three areas to get lily pads. The middle track is the mainline and the nearest track will connect to the new addition to the layout and the far track is the Pine River yard lead. -Greg

86F at 2:55PM and dry

I haven't been airborne since last year and I have one drone that just sits in its box and never have flown it.

I can relate. I have a whole shelf of DIY multi-rotor parts, multi-rotor kits assembled, half-assembled, and NIB, and a 10 years supply of misc drone related parts on a shelf (some for the past several years). A couple have gotten a small amount of air time. Not to mention RC gliders built and half built, including some German fuselages I got in 1993 and still have not done anything with (3-4m wingspan ones). And the RC electrics in the same various conditions.

Too many hobbies.

Good evening. It's sunny and 93.
The back situation may be improving ever so slightly. Or I'm just getting used to the pain...

I do own a pickup ('09 Colorado standard cab W/T). I would say that having a smaller truck is an advantage, but 2 of my BIL's have full size crew cabs that can't carry as much in the bed. They can out run me, out pull me, but they have to stop more for gas and can't haul as much. Plus I can really only have 1 passenger instead of the 5 they have to haul.

On a side note: Everyone have a safe Independence Day.

Patrick, I can relate. My 03 S10 extended cab seats 3. Me, her, and the dog, but it can tow 5500 pounds and is 4wd , and can fit most anywhere a car can fit. Who needs a behemoth??

Evening All,

Did some more chores. Daughter called that she was sick this morning (SIL out of town working) so we have been watching the boys all day and they're spending the night. We took them to the bookstore earlier and they each got a book along with Grandpa:) (I like holding the book when I read). Tomorrow we have a family BBQ so I probably won't be in until Friday. HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY.

Willie- Nice looking fence.

Dave- Another great scene

Beady- Well that's unusual!

Greg- Really nice layout scene.

Chet- Really nice layout photo. Is the Ice Platform on the same track as the packing plant? I can't tell with the angle of the shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sorry Beady, we’ve all had those Homer moments at one time or another. Mine was putting in a battery in the now-EW’s car after I took it out to charge overnight. When did I put it in? New Year’s morning(when I was still “less than sober”). Needless to say, I hooked the battery up backwards. I realized it when I heard the “pop” & a puff of smoke. Ended up frying a fusible link, the ignition module & the starter solenoid. $500 “oops”. Battery was fine.

92A29DCF-37A6-4F4C-8AB3-BF9CFDB055BB.jpeg

Phil- We downsized last summer from a 2004 Ram 4x4 to a 2010 Fusion. Now I have to rely on my FIL when I need to pick up something that won’t fit it the trunk or back seat.
PRR- sorry, brain phart on your 1:1 name. Thank you for using the correct name for tomorrow’s holiday, rather than the date. Tomorrow is July 4th all around the world, but it’s only Independence Day here in the good ole U.S. of A.
WI Greg- I know of very few people who voted for Evers. The majority of his votes came from Milwaukee, Madison & the college towns(La Crosse, Point, Menomonie, Superior, etc). I know that most of the 7th Congressional district is fairly solid red(except for Douglass & Ashland counties).
Willie- Send some of your heatwave, along with the high dew points, up my way. We had such a wet half of the year(already above the driest full year & 5th wettest first half to the calendar year. This, along with a late winter & Christmas ol spring has resulted in the gamers planting their crops REALLY late this year. The local ag board posted the other day on 2-faced book that our corn farmers need a long hot & hoomid summer, along with a late frost(Halloween or later) for the corn to reach full maturity. First frost is usually before 10/31, but the past couple years it has been November.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Happy Independence Day, or Fourth of July. Cloudy and 75° to start our day here in North Central Texas.
betsyrossflagwaving.gif

A couple of breakfast burritos here this morning, Flo. The ones with sausage, potato, egg and cheese, with a bowl full of spicy salsa to make them kick a$$.
Spent yesterday morning at Lowe's getting the new toilet for the final phase of the long-delayed bathroom remodel. Managed to remove the old one but didn't get it into the dumpster yet. Need to flag down a passing neighbor to help me lift it that high. Worst case is that I could separate the tank from the bowl and do it myself. New one is awaiting installation Friday. Most of the rest of the day was occupied with laundry and mowing. Today will see a return to mowing early, then help my wife get ready for her early vacation with the kids for the next ten days; and finally an evening of fireworks and food/beer at my brother's house in Dallas. He lives across the street from a country club that has an impressive display every Independence Day. Starting tomorrow, I'll be "home alone" for ten days except for the granddog who I will be taking care of. It's a regular thing and gives my wife and I a break from one another. It's usually an opportunity for me to do a "surprise" project around the house; especially since I don't have to pick up the tools and clean up each evening, just once after all is done.

Thanks for all of the positive comments and likes regarding the fence/scenery progress; Dave, Sherrel, Chet, Tom, Jerome, Dave in PV, Phil, Patrick, Ken, Curt, Justin.

No real progress yesterday in the train shed. I got some things done, butt not to the picture taking stage yet.
So how about some more freight car loads. I run a unit scrap train from end-to-end with 15 cars. Here's a few gondola loads of scrap, all homemade. First up is an antique Athearn Blue Box kit from about 30 years ago.
07-01-19 009.JPG

Another Athearn car, just as old, but I purchased it in 1994.
07-01-19 013.JPG

This KCS gondola is a Roundhouse kit also at least thirty years old.
07-01-19 017.JPG

Chet - This InstaFence is a great product. I have no connection to Bar Mills, just really like their products. Much easier to use than stripwood fences, and looks just as good. They can be "stressed" with broken or missing boards, and boards can be made to misalign as needed with a little thought in advance.
Sherrel - On my layout, HOA stands for Home Owners Anarchy. Enjoy the birthday party. BTW, to add to your "Lessons I have learned about retirement ", Sleeping eight hours a night can become the norm, although interrupted by more numerous potty breaks.
Beady - Amusing story. Glad that it wasn't something more serious.
Greg - What's in the hands of the man along the waterside?
Mike - Wish that I could send some of our heat your way. It's not that I mind it, I've lived in this area 58 years (after living in Brooklyn) so I am used to it. I just wish that our rainfall was more evenly distributed. Our spring was overly wet, with 85% of our yearly average already recorded, and we most likely won't see any measurable rain until October, although there have been exceptions.
Terry - Sad about MAD magazine. Best wishes for your back recovery. Too bad about the meds though.

The farmer next door plowed up his just harvested wheat field Tuesday, so maybe my neighbors who regularly spend over $1000 on fireworks will send them in that direction this year instead of starting the usual grass fire in their yard. He has started a few in his dad's pasture downwind next to his before as well. I'm safe because I have a lot of acreage of green hay planted between them and me and it is hard to burn right now.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome holiday weekend if you get it.

Good morning. Happy 4th of July. A cool day is ahead for today and we had rain over night and some doozie thunder storms yesterday. Won't have to water the lawn for a while.

Beady - Murphy must have visited you next. Laughed my butt off.

Patrick - An interesting story on the pick up trucks. I had a 2012 Silverado and got rid of it because it couldn't haul as much as my old '72 Chevy which I still have. It's a heavy three quarter ton with 4 wheel drive. The best part is that it is easy to work on. No computers, just old school. Might not be as fuel efficient, but it's paid for and does what I need it to.

Greg - Like the caboose. Nice photo.

Curt - There are two tracks. One track can't be seen behind the stock pens. That's my photo for the day.

IMAG0533.jpg

Willie - That gondola load is a perfect match for the car. Well done.

Getting ready to head over the pass to Livingston. It will be a long day at the club.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back