Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sous vide is to cook it internally to perfection. The smokling is to provide the crust and external treatment. Your smoke does not penetrate the meat -- that "smoke ring" has nothing to do with smoke and is a chemical reaction. You should get a smoke ring with sous vide brisket cooked later in a smoker because they will be super moist coming out of the sous vide bag.

Smoke rings are basically aesthetic.
It's not the smoke ring... it's the smokey flavor which I do get deeper into the meat.

Doing some research, and it sounds like the tenderness factor goes up with SV. I saw mixed taste tests from pit masters on steak vs steak.

But, when it comes down to it, ManLaw takes over. Fire! Smoke! vs Aquarium heater :eek: 🤪 :cool: :)

Or, you could do as this poor soul!

1706315599583.jpeg

If I'm going to fire up my grill for a smoke, I'll just keep it going for the 4-5 hours and get the brisket done right then.

Out of curiosity, why would one want to do a 20+ hour sous vide cook to a brisket, just to go smoke it afterward? What am I missing?
Ok, I'm hardly an expert, but I think if you watch 20+ hours of "Franklin Barbeque" (Franklin--who is a fixture in Austin, I think) Franklin gets up off the lounge chair and turns the brisket over...................
..................for the first time...............
..................somewhere around the twentieth hour.

Or maybe I've just 'Fast-Forwarded' through the video too fast...because I'm impatient.

Last edited:
On the flip side there are Ramen Noodles in the little foam cups. Add boiling water, wait three minutes (four up here at high altitude where the boiling point of water is lower)...
...and enjoy a delicious meal!

[Note: Whatever the altitude, it takes longer to boil the water in the first place than it does to bring the dried noodles back to life]

-----------

But that's not for everyone, let's face it. In my case I let the concoction steep for fifteen minutes--yes, you heard me right--FIFTEEN...before I'll even raise the spoon.

That's FIVE times as long as the directions require. FIVE TIMES ! ! ! ! !

But then, I'm dedicated. After all, everyone who's any good knows...

...good cooking takes time.................................................................................................

Daughter had her band concert tonight. This semester was also during High School swim season so she didn’t really do any big solo stuff like she usually does. One of the other guitar players did two big solos (“comfortably numb” and “hold the line”). But she did play the lead and sing Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac. I don’t have the video off the camera yet. Here are some stills.

Attachments

• IMG_4325.jpeg
    IMG_4325.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4327.jpeg
    IMG_4327.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4324.jpeg
    IMG_4324.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4312.jpeg
    IMG_4312.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 22
Ok, I'm hardly an expert, but I think if you watch 20+ hours of "Franklin Barbeque" (Franklin--who is a fixture in Austin, I think) Franklin gets up off the lounge chair and turns the brisket over...................
..................for the first time...............
..................somewhere around the twentieth hour.

Or maybe I've just 'Fast-Forwarded' through the video too fast...because I'm impatient.
I wish I was Aaron Franklin...

And I don't have a pit like his. I've got a Kamado. I can keep it stabile around 275 to 300° depending on the day. That means a faster cook than Aaron. And, I usually purchase just the flat, since it fits on the 18" kamado a lot better than a full packer.

If the wife ever stops trying to grow vegetables in our 6 hours of sun patio, I might just add another a pit. If that happens, I'm debating between a Traeger or a wood fired offset. You know, to be more like Aaron.

Good morning all. A cloudy day with a cold breeze making it feel colder.
Heating engineers installing a new radiator. today.
Youngest grandson is staying over tonight.

As 'life' goes on in the small industrial estate a Wakefield Kirkgate to Leeds Central DMU passes behind.

IMG_2943.JPG

Morning all,

Up a bit early this Saturday. It's currently 32° and cloudy. Once again the fog has taken over for the sixth day in a row. High later of 45° and a possibility of sun before it drops below the western horizon. Just another day of catching up on the work around the house.

BBL

Good Morning All!

35F @ 91% and overcast. Gonna be 40ish later again. 47F tomarra, heading down to 41 on Thursday.

SV: Boy, I do not have the patience for that. I do the slow cook stuff in the Nu-Wave at 190F for 10/12 hours. Usually goop the heck out of the meat the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight turning it a couple of times if I remember. Don't matter what kind of meat/poultry or fish. Brisket was dinner the night before last and was excellent. Finished it off last night with both of us still smacking our lips.

Smoker: I currently have two of the things. A big one about 4.5ft tall that uses wood chips, and the Traeger. The big one I can put a ton of stuff hanging in it. Last was turkey and chicken breasts with Alder. Most of the time we take what we want for lunch/dinner and refrigerate the rest. After a couple of days if there still is some in the fridge, it gets sliced up and frozen. Haven't been fishing for awhile so none of those.

The Traeger I use both for smoking a searing. The thing gets to 500F faster than the gas stove and adds taste. Think we have a pellet mix from CostCo; 40Lb bag for $22. Usually sear for 5 minutes and sometimes turn it. You can crank the 'hat' on top of the smoke stack down almost all the way to smoke stuff with it set at 200F and leave it alone for 3 or 4 hours. Yummy. Ya, it does work at -20F but not gonna do that again as I got too cold fuss'n with it.

The Nu-Wave also sears good at 500F and since it is a small cavity, heats up pretty fast too. I do love to air-fry with that. Everything seems to come out pretty much perfect if you are a 'good' cook and watch stuff. Moisture is the determining factor of the air fry-time. Geesh, french fries in 12 minutes - can't beat that. Pizza in 18 minutes, don't forget to spin it 180 degrees once. Got some Sea Bass I want to try in it to see how it comes out.

Hmmm, now ima hungry.

Later

Last edited:
Good morning from cloudy Absurdistan where the temp is in the mid 40s and maybe mid 50s by 3pm. Sitting here at w*rk waiting for day to begin. Started with inner ear pressure and a sore throat yesterday, so a run to the DR after work is in order. Happens 2-3 times a year with me, Doc wants to put drains in my ears, but I'm afraid my better ideas may leak out.
BBL

Good morning from cloudy Absurdistan where the temp is in the mid 40s and maybe mid 50s by 3pm. Sitting here at w*rk waiting for day to begin. Started with inner ear pressure and a sore throat yesterday, so a run to the DR after work is in order. Happens 2-3 times a year with me, Doc wants to put drains in my ears, but I'm afraid my better ideas may leak out.
BBL

If a Doc did that to me there would be rust and sawdust. :confused:🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back