Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's clear and 40.
A couple of things going on today. First, stopping at UPS Store to drop off a package, then off to a friend's farm. After lunch, we're planning on going horseback riding, then I'm returning here to do laundry.
I don't know if anyone else has heard the term "having a lot of balls in the air", but there's another shipping issue developing here. The latest one is a pack of remote batteries I got through Amazon, supposedly delivered, but nobody has seen them. The seller says they'll send out more Tuesday, since Monday is a holiday here.
Tomorrow after it begins to warm up, I'm planning to climb on the roof and replace the bathroom fan. It's getting close to time to head out, so everyone have a great weekend.

What did I really miss???
From my perspective, Nothing!...

There is no such thing as a non-partisan organization. I listen to all sides and then make a decision.
Absolutely! Back when I still worked for Amtrak, I was placed on moderation on another site, for allegedly inserting political commentary...I mentioned an interesting sighting while at work, and made the mistake of mentioning my employer... The lesson learned there is that some people will be offended for the most innocuous commentary.

I really listened to baseball on the transitor (remember those) radios it was between ages 8 and 12.
My dad used to listen to Phillies games on the radio in the kitchen...back then most games, especially home games on weekdays, were not televised. Back then the same broadcast crew would broadcast both the TV and Radio sides, switching around every 3 innings.
When I was given my own transistor radio with ear bud, I discovered I could get the Yankees on WCBS, the Orioles on WBAL, the Cardinals on KMOX, the Pirates on KDKA, Red Sox on WBZ, as well as Detroit, and both Chicago teams. Also found the Buffalo AAA team on a Buffalo station (WKBW)? Great way to forget just how hot and muggy that room was in the pre central air days of the '60s.

Troy - There is no such thing as a non-partisan organization. I listen to all sides and then make a decision.
Let's rephrase that to "more partisan" or "uber partisan" aka: how far the pendulum swings.

With Grover, it's far to one side. He's a one-issue person, and zero is the only acceptable number. The nuance of "mostly non-partisan" is in the centrist area between the poles where the political work gets done.

Good morning. Temperature is hanging at 34°, it's cloudy, and there are snow flurries . The latter was not in the forecast, until someone at the NWS looked out the window.

Louis: Congratulations on the birth of your Grandson.

Devils beat Anaheim 6 - 2, overnight. Game started at bed time, which was unfortuate, as it was a National game, streamed on ESPN+ withouta blackout. Metro Division race is getting tight, as only 2 points separate the first three teams. Tonight's game with the Kings is on local TV and subject to blackout rules... :( :rolleyes: and also at bed time. Caps play the Flyers at DC...also blacked out because my IP is located in an adjacent county, considered part of Philly's market. The best game on tonight's schedule, the Leafs vs. Bruins, is on NHL Network, again only available to Cable viewers, (as a premium, extra fee plus surcharge venue). :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: At least I can pickup the Flyers broadcast on the over air Radio.

After lunch, I'm going to the train room hopefully for some quality time with my layout.

Cardiologist's office called yesterday evening, with the results of last Mondays CT Scan. Everything "looks real good"with no abnormalities, other than a few lesions on the lungs. (Probably left over from the Flu/Pneumonia). I need to get a copy sent to my Pulmonary Doctor, and add the disk to my collection of CT Scans. 👍👍👍

SA-31 06-30-2022 Passingthe Beach  Michael Guida Photo.jpg

Reposting one of my favorites, "America's Train", SA-31 passing the (Raritan) Bay Shore just south of South Amboy. All that calm low tide water, is quite nasty looking during an Atlantic storm such as a Noreaster. What the picture doesn't show is all the Rip-rap, along the Bay side of the road bed to prevent erosion of the road bed during these storms...a condition aka Land Slides in California.

I would love to get my Scale Sound Speakers installed but I'm too busy with my bathroom project right now. The plumber & electrician are done with their ruff ins. The tile guy is coming over tomorrow to get things measured up and the towns inspectors will be here Tuesday. Then maybe I can start working on my trains again.
Swal

20230114_125053.jpg
20230114_125103.jpg

Morning from here! FLO - Some brunch please - A BLT with avocado and fries with a coke would be very nice?

Random thoughts for the day!

The day is at 57f and 58 is forecast to be the high with mostly cloudy and expecting a chance of showers later on?
The next three days are expected to be the same.

WILLIE - got the lights removed from the shrubs and stuffed into plastic grocery bags for keeping the strings separate - there were 15 strings; also got the timer and all the cords back into the garage. Now the next job is shifting everything around to get the BIG boxes out for the lighted snowman (which is standing in the front room - I brought it in the house before the last rain hit)
This is a real nightmare because of all the furniture and household items filling up the garage from the MIL's home.
Now it seems that - as soon as the staging contract ends - that a large part of the furniture will be moved back into the home. There has been quite a few showings and one "lowball" offer. The kids are not going to give the place away - and are even talking about "renting" it out for people just looking for a room , or like traveling nurses. The going rate just for a bedroom around here seems to be in the neighborhood of 800-1000 a month and there are five bedrooms and four baths.
With the upgrades and repairs that are needed - I feel that 1 to 1.1 MIL is a more realistic price, but it is not my place to say anything - nor would I. It's too bad that A. The appraiser gave too high a value for tax purposes and B. the sister who is the executor dragged her feet too long on getting the place on the market before the interest rates started climbing. The brother and I knew that, but he was unable to convince the three sisters.
If the value keeps coming down - I might be able to swing it - just wish I were 10 years younger and my health was a little better!

JOE - Man I feel so bad about your wife's condition and the astronomical cost of that drug. Surely there must be some way for a way to work around it?

Never played any of those games - most I have never even heard of? I guess that my life has been perhaps "mundane" except for my job.

LOUIS - congrats!

Better hop to it -- the gardener will be here in an hour or so, and I want him to trim the shrubs - they are getting quite long -- my day is passing fast!

Afternoon All,

Late start today walking to let the sun come out. The temp was 40F, but the wind was brutal. It's only 51F currently and still very windy. Another day of not accomplishing anything.:( MOH didn't sleep at all last night, so she's pretty much been napping all day.

Louis- Congrats on your new grandson. I'm glad everyone is doing well. Have you bought a train for him yet Grandpa?

Terry- Great scene.

Willie- Great views of your layout.

Joe- Great 1:1 photo. I had to google rip-rap to see what it was.:rolleyes:

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. It's clear and 51.
Today's outing was a success, though I'd rather not freeze my buns off while playing cowboys.
Here, if you look closely, you can see the horses. They are mother and daughter. They were both badly malnourished when my friend got hold of them. They are mother and daughter, the mother can be ridden, the daughter, not so much. She's never been ridden, though I did manage to get several riding accessories installed on her before she decided she'd had about enough of me. Baby steps. We'll try again next weekend, and I'll bring some extra carrots and sugar cubes as bribe material.
IMG_3735.jpg

Evening all.

Been a strange 24 hours, I finally awoke at 11.45 this morning ?????? usually up and about by 8am on a non work day, dunno what happened there.

Went to check the oil and water on my car this morning/afternoon, needed to top up coolant, unscrewed the cap, and ended up with just the cap in my hand, remainder left in the expansion tank, could my brain comprehend how to get it out, nope, got a replacement cap and nipped into my local garage to see if they could remove it, yep, 5 seconds and it was out (you just need to lever it out, the screw cap holds it in place, which I still had in my hand) DUH! I know this, I know I just have to lever it out with a screwdriver, but my brain would not comprehend this. :mad:

Then I find this afternoon that I really screwed up last night, I saw some 4 bay CN Cylindrical hoppers, which would go nicely with my CN loco and other freight cars I have, but TomO is looking for some SK hoppers for me so I definitely don't need them, but I somehow, I bought them, but I don't remember doing it, I'm sure I clicked on Watch, not Buy, obviously not, to add insult to injury, I've had them sent to me, where really I should have sent them to TomO and ask him to weather these for me too.

I am now going to retire for the night, before my brain drops me in any more💩 and I buy something else I don't need.:)

Evening all.

Been a strange 24 hours, I finally awoke at 11.45 this morning ?????? usually up and about by 8am on a non work day, dunno what happened there.

Went to check the oil and water on my car this morning/afternoon, needed to top up coolant, unscrewed the cap, and ended up with just the cap in my hand, remainder left in the expansion tank, could my brain comprehend how to get it out, nope, got a replacement cap and nipped into my local garage to see if they could remove it, yep, 5 seconds and it was out (you just need to lever it out, the screw cap holds it in place, which I still had in my hand) DUH! I know this, I know I just have to lever it out with a screwdriver, but my brain would not comprehend this. :mad:

Then I find this afternoon that I really screwed up last night, I saw some 4 bay CN Cylindrical hoppers, which would go nicely with my CN loco and other freight cars I have, but TomO is looking for some SK hoppers for me so I definitely don't need them, but I somehow, I bought them, but I don't remember doing it, I'm sure I clicked on Watch, not Buy, obviously not, to add insult to injury, I've had them sent to me, where really I should have sent them to TomO and ask him to weather these for me too.

I am now going to retire for the night, before my brain drops me in any more💩 and I buy something else I don't need.:)
Wow!

Deep breathes. Now you get to weather them yourself! You know you will get some good advice from the Crew. It will work out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back