Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I went to the club on Saturday, I took the 2 MRL QSI Quantum decodered Atlas SD35's with me to head a train. As a backup, in case a bit more traction was needed, I also took the also, so fitted SRY MP15DC I bought some years ago. It's not that long ago I was using it in partnership with a Genesis CP MP15AC with NCE silent decoder. On the few previous occasions I've done this, they always seemed to have Advanced Consisted (NCE and CV19 in the decoders) quite well.

Couldn't get a peep or any response out of it at all this time with all having the same decoder brand and version. Last night at home, I tried it again, almost nill response, I did note the H/light flicked on and off if I lifted one side off the track and back down again. Tried the CV19=0 to take it out of any phantom consist it might have slipped into, but no. Tried it on DC, worked fine. So decided a full reset was in order. Two methods for that, First is use the CV's (1 to get into the program and change 3 more to reset to factory defaults.)(verbal confirmation). Second if that doesn't work is to use their magnetic wand while on a DC powered track set at about 10V input. So..set that up by estimation while the current was turned off and track/engine unpowered, hold the wand in the position described over the switch under the hood, switch the power on and listen intently to hear it say "Reset". Pull the wand away quickly. Switch off the power. Checked it using the DC, AOK.

Back to DCC again and no response using the loco's extended address (expected as it should now be), but back to normal with DCC control on address 3 and running again. One of the more unusual default settings with these decoders is the starting speed and acceleration from stop. They have a lot of momentum already preprogrammed in and don't start to move until up to about 20 speed steps of a 128 control Cab setting. There are CV's to change to bring them back to start at step 1, or any custom one that better suits. I'm going to reset the other pair back to default too as it's obvious, some has been done to them, get them all on the same base.

There was apparently a time when Lansing and the surrounding villages had interurban service.

FB_IMG_1580148447129.jpg

Just because:

FB_IMG_1580109989039.jpg

Good morning, America! Just a few hours early for me. Like in the middle of the night early! My wife and I got our second Shingrex shot yesterday and so far so good with mine. She's still asleep, so I'm guessing, and hoping, the same for her.

Will finish up the details with the banker tomorrow (today), I do plan on getting a little more sleep before the real morning. I woke up at 3 and have been thinking about all that needs to be done and my list is longer than a six year old's Christmas list!

The worst for now is I get to take down what I started for my switching layout. The good part is I'll have a place to start the real deal when we get settled in. But then comes summer in a new place and all the exploring that will involve, especially doing it on our motorcycle!

We're both like kids in a candy shop, so that makes it harder to concentrate on the details but that time has come for me. It's going to mean less time on here, which is a bummer for me, but maybe not so much for y'all. See, I'm even picking up on the lingo!

Where we live, your accent can very from deep south, to Midwest twang, to something akin to a Chicago accent (pretty rare around these parts though) and everything in between. About a year ago, we were getting groceries in Macomb and the person at the checkout was a college student that sounded like he was from the heart of the deep south. I asked him where he was from and he said Tennessee. I asked him what part and he said Tennessee, IL. It's a small town just west of there. Thing is, around here anyways, accents can be deceiving.

Going to try sleeping some more, I'm fading fast!

Later!

Good Morning All. 51° and raining lightly here. Cold front tonight but temperatures will stay well above freezing. Spent part of yesterday pruning trees and have about two weeks of firewood for next winter already cut and stacked.

I'm looking for something different for breakfast this morning Flo, how about some of Mel's hearty beef stew.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the final (for now) layout tour pictures yesterday; Chad, Bob, Bill, Jerome, Sherrel, James, Karl, Chet, Greg, Beady, Rick, Phil, Jim, Justin, Tom, Patrick, Ken.

Well, not in the train shed but train related, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered three ATSF SD45's from ScaleTrains yesterday. They're due in July, although their track record with me indicates that I probably won't see them until at least September. On the layout, I spent some time cleaning up some wiring underneath, specifically the not yet used lighting buss. Specifically I was intending to use some power supplies salvaged from our IT department at work about 20 years ago. One had been connected and all was well. It quit working recently so I removed it and tested six more which all failed. I'll have to switch to the alternate plan of using old wall warts and Lifelike (and similar) power packs.
Back to the archives for a picture of a Bar Mills kit "Barn at Jackson Corners".
IMG_0456.001.JPG

Johnny - Wally's Wieners looks right at home there. Should do a lot of business.
Greg - I also like junk yards. Elsewhere on the layout there is a much larger one under development, one large enough for a rail spur and a crane.
Patrick - Good news, now best wishes on a full recovery.
Karl -
468 pages is enough to spook DC or die guys back to the stone age! (or at least back to wooden trains)
And then I read Ray's post (#821) and feel really good about sticking with DC. That's not to say that DCC isn't new and improved, But I operate alone, can only pay attention to one train at a time and don't care for sound either.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 30 and overcast. Possibility of snow tonight into tomorrow. 60s for highs next Monday and Tuesday. Can someone say "rollercoaster"?

IronBelt Ken, Boris, Patrick, Tom, Jim, Flip, Roofintrash, Beady, Willie, Greg, Karl, Alcomotive, Sherrel, Wheeler, RobotsWalkWhereverTheyWantTo, BurlingtonBob, Chad, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my Wiener Wagon post yesterday.

Patrick - Wishing you a speedy recovery from the CTS surgery.

Willie - I enjoy seeing your progress in building and adding new structures to your layout. I envy you. I'm pretty well maxed out on buildings - no room for any more. But I've enjoyed building them over these past 3 1/2 years I've been into this hobby.

Here's a photo of the edge of my lake/recreational area. I added some foliage and the campers over on the left (tent, fire, camper sitting down). I may move that microscene back into the trees a little more - what do you think?

LakeSceneWithCamp.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Howdy ....

We returned from Nashville where there was a family gathering over the weekend which included a memorial service for Shelley's Mom at her church. She passed away last month.

So far, I only looked at this page. I like Beady's historic photo, Willie's, farm scene, and Johnny's lake / recreation area.

Keep up the good work, everybody. I'll catch up later.

MIL - Sounds familiar. My sympathies.

Printer - When the printhead goes, the printer is junk. Luckily, a new one is pretty cheap. The wife's printer stopped printing, period, and mine stopped printing black. Each was replaced for $40.

Beady: Thanks. As you know, it's not easy.

We are fortunate that the old printer if functional, and we can share it. We no longer use the fax, I got rid of the land line, it copies, scans wen connected by wire to the laptop, and prints. Ink is readily available, so we are good to go for the foreseeable future.

Good morning everyone. 30 and overcast. Possibility of snow tonight into tomorrow. 60s for highs next Monday and Tuesday. Can someone say "rollercoaster"?

IronBelt Ken, Boris, Patrick, Tom, Jim, Flip, Roofintrash, Beady, Willie, Greg, Karl, Alcomotive, Sherrel, Wheeler, RobotsWalkWhereverTheyWantTo, BurlingtonBob, Chad, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my Wiener Wagon post yesterday.

Patrick - Wishing you a speedy recovery from the CTS surgery.

Willie - I enjoy seeing your progress in building and adding new structures to your layout. I envy you. I'm pretty well maxed out on buildings - no room for any more. But I've enjoyed building them over these past 3 1/2 years I've been into this hobby.

Here's a photo of the edge of my lake/recreational area. I added some foliage and the campers over on the left (tent, fire, camper sitting down). I may move that microscene back into the trees a little more - what do you think?

View attachment 43682

Have a good day everyone.
Johnny, I would move the camping scene back a little under a couple of trees.

Where we live, your accent can very from deep south, to Midwest twang, to something akin to a Chicago accent (pretty rare around these parts though) and everything in between.

Bob: Here the accent is predominantly Brooklyn, Staten Island, Jersey, We also have different and distinctive dialects of Spanish, plus Polish, Russian, and Israeli. There are times when walking through ShopRite, when the wife and I feel we are the only English Speakers in the store. of course, this is not very different from the neighborhood I grew up in.

USA 1880 Hanks Yard, Ft Eustis.jpg

This is a photo of Hanks Yard, at Ft. Eustis, VA, where I spent the greater part of my active Military career. The 714th Railway Operating Batallion, was composed like a Operating Division, HQ Company was the Train Dispatchers, Operators and clerks, plus service support, Co. A was the Engineering Component, Co B. was the Mechanical Component, and CO C, the Operating Component.

Good Morning rail benders! Supposed to reaach 77 for the next three days with clear sunny skies.
If not careful - we will have a "false spring" where everything buds only to be killed by a frost later on.
JOHNNY - nice scenes - the lake photo is spot on.
Willie - Great shot of the horse farm and barn - really good colors on the barn.
BEADY - You seem to have a fixation with the colon area?
BBoB - I do not envy yout move - WAIT - yes I do ... it's just MOH and I are hoarders, we would have a heck of a time!
PATRIK - Best wishes for your recovery- fingers crossed!
GREG/RAY - You two, I believe, have put the final nail in the coffin on even thinking about DCC!

Oh, high, FLO -- make it a coke this morning with a short stack and a handful of bacon - thanks.

Good Morning everyone.....again overcast and mile for January.

Sherrel: Thanks for the comments on the 0-8-0 and the scenery. Yes, the smoke box front is slightly loose which is the norm for this critter. It must of loosen just prior to taking the photograph. Normally, the smoke boxes are so tight they are very difficult to remove. I'll attach it using a touch of Woodland's cement that doesn't dry completely so I can remove the front in the future if needed.

I understand why DC modelers like to stay with DC and shy away for DCC with the complications that "could" come with using DCC. I been using DCC for at least 15 years and I only had a couple of problems. I over reacted to the DCC problems I experienced and the solutions were usually simple once I stepped back and understood what exactly was happening and why it happen. With time comes experience.

I like the fact that I can run several locomotives in what would normally under DC the same electrical block which I find a bonus to having a DCC layout.

Changing a decoder's CV values becomes second nature and is not rocket science. I enjoy decoder installations, especially the hard wired decoders that require soldering.

DC or DCC its still model railroading and the operating system is a personal preference.

Boris:
The tender wheel are not the electrical pickup wheels, but all eight drivers are pickups. I may in the future add pick up contacts to the last tender truck or maybe both trucks. The drivers are bit dirty for DCC slow running and I'll use the alcohol and paper towel methods plus a wheel cleaner that is now sold by Kadee for wheel cleaning.

When I first purchased the locomotive under DC the loco it ran very smooth and no problems with electrical pick of any type. It negotiated turnouts with ease.

Karl:
I ran across that 468 page DCC manual on the web when I looking for decoder manual. The particular decoder had functions I didn't know existed. I'll see if I can find the manual and at least post the last page and the decoder's manufacture's name.

Yes like most using DCC, I just use the first several pages of any manual to determine the throttle button functions and CV assignments for a certain decoder.

Willie: I like the farm scene and the barn. Do the locomotives using the spur bother the livestock? The water scene and people enjoying the summer reminds me of a park near my cabin.

That's all for now.....

Greg

###########################

I forgot to add to my first Coffee post was about yesterdays modeling activities. The first was the air brush repairs and now hav a back up brush.

A six axle diesel of mine liked to derail at several locations on the layout. I did all of the checks that I did for the SD-39, except I just tighten the gauge of the lead axle and that solved the problem. After the adjustments, I ran the locomotive for an hour in all directions and no derailments. After lunch today I'll do some minor cleaning of the layout room and then some layout work.

Here's a video of a HO coal train that started out as 200 cars and then added 83 more coal carriers. Neat video.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6B2D6424E9BB4708FA5B6B2D6424E9BB&&FORM=VDRVRV

-Greg

Last edited:
I like the fact that I can run several locomotives in what would normally under DC the same electrical block which I find a bonus to having a DCC layout.

Changing a decoder's CV values becomes second nature and is not rocket science. I enjoy decoder installations, especially the hard wired decoders that require soldering.

DC or DCC its still model railroading and the operating system is a personal preference.

Agreed. I like DCC as t allows me to roam around using easy wireless controllers (both HW like my Rocco/Fleischmann Z-21 WLANmaus and SW WiThrottle based ones), running multiple trains on the same track in the same blocks. When I first saw the digital stuff from Arnold/Märklin in the early 90s I was hooked on the idea so when I got into trains I was already a DCC convert.

And as a gadget guy / tinkerer / like to figure things out, I like the challenge of figuring out new decoders installs and figuring out things like detection blocks and other automation. And I plan on writing my own software for controlling things (hopefully to eventually productize it).

But I understand the DC guys. Simple and easy to set up and use.

Most of my trains are still DC because of the time and cost of getting them all upgraded. Most of my newer European trains with DCC sockets have gotten decoders, and most of my KATO Japanese that are easy to upgrade with EM13 style decoders have been upgraded, though I have a couple still left to actually do. (Note that most of them have fake EM13 -- EM13 compatible circuit board from a project I downloaded and had made into boards that use D&H decoders). I have hardwired in decoders in several Japanese trains (KATO and Tomix and Greenmax) but have many many more to do, as well as older European stuff without decoders. So I still have a DC loop for testing new stuff and for running existing stuff before it gets updated.

Afternoon All,

Did more projects on the house today with a lot of down time in between such as plaster repair and painting. More to follow tomorrow:confused:. I did talk to Phil for a couple of minutes today.

Garry- Sorry for your family's loss of your MIL. With everything going on I don't remember if I told you that.

Greg- Nice looking loco. Is it a P2K Heritage unit?

Patrick- I'm glad your surgery went well.

Jim- I really like looking at the unusual track geometry at industrial plants.

Bob- It sounds like everything is coming together for you and your wife.

Willie- They should be great additions. Nice farm scene.

Johnny- Very nice scene.

Joe- Nice looking loco.

Sherrel- Nice historical photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back