Running Bear's February 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The craftsmanship from yesteryear, I love historic places. This is the old train station where the steamer was loaded yesterday.
Coffee and bagel was great this morning, hope you all have a fantastic day!

BE0A699E-DB32-4B5F-88B0-4CFE09154C3E.jpeg

Good morning from warming So. Central Wisconsin. 23 now and mid 40’s later.

It is train show day this morning for me. Saturday is buying day if I find what is on my specific list. Just a few yellow TBOX cars needed, a few acid cars and Steel Mill Modeling Supply will be there for the first time. Kevin told me last Summer he should have his 3D ventilation systems ready for selling in Spring 2023. From the info he sent me then I maybe in trouble. He 3D prints super stuff but his shipping/packaging leaves a bit to be desired. If he has the stuff that will work in the paper mill my idea of only spending a hundred today or so is out the window.

The friend who came to visit me the day before I got sick a couple weeks ago called yesterday from the convention center floor. He is setting up with a modular group. Asked if I wanted anymore Atlas/BLMA and Exactrail reefer cars. Not really but depending on price, sure, then asked why? Said we should split the costs, I can weather and he will do the graffiti. 20 minutes later I have pictures of 4 Exactrail reefers and just a ton of the Atlas cars. Pricing was high for buying 10 cars and told my friend that. Short part of the story is I am leaving in a few minutes to have breakfast with him and the vendor before the show starts. The vendor has 30 cars at the show and another 20+ in the garage at home, all new in the box. I have a bulk price in mind…

later

edit. The above was written at 5:30AM but I forgot to hit send, so I did 2 hours later, breakfast was good, no deal, yet! He has to discuss with his partner, the wife.

Last edited:
Good morning from warming So. Central Wisconsin. 23 now and mid 40’s later.

It is train show day this morning for me. Saturday is buying day if I find what is on my specific list. Just a few yellow TBOX cars needed, a few acid cars and Steel Mill Modeling Supply will be there for the first time. Kevin told me last Summer he should have his 3D ventilation systems ready for selling in Spring 2023. From the info he sent me then I maybe in trouble. He 3D prints super stuff but his shipping/packaging leaves a bit to be desired. If he has the stuff that will work in the paper mill my idea of only spending a hundred today or so is out the window.

The friend who came to visit me the day before I got sick a couple weeks ago called yesterday from the convention center floor. He is setting up with a modular group. Asked if I wanted anymore Atlas/BLMA and Exactrail reefer cars. Not really but depending on price, sure, then asked why? Said we should split the costs, I can weather and he will do the graffiti. 20 minutes later I have pictures of 4 Exactrail reefers and just a ton of the Atlas cars. Pricing was high for buying 10 cars and told my friend that. Short part of the story is I am leaving in a few minutes to have breakfast with him and the vendor before the show starts. The vendor has 30 cars at the show and another 20+ in the garage at home, all new in the box. I have a bulk price in mind…

later

edit. The above was written at 5:30AM but I forgot to hit send, so I did 2 hours later, breakfast was good, no deal, yet! He has to discuss with his partner, the wife.
Good luck with the negotiations, and thanks Tom, Tankers arrived the morning, fantastic looking cars. 😍

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 31°. Forecast for today is for increasing cloudiness and a high in the mid-50's. Wind which was absent yesterday will return from the south around 12-15 mph and we'll just continue to warm up for a few days. Looking forward to a few days coming up when I don't have to keep a fire going in the wood-burning heater. I posted before that it looks like I will have a surplus of firewood this season to carry over. Not a bad thing except sometimes varmints take up residence beneath the woodstacks. While I like heating with wood, after 42 years, the end of the season in February and March is beginning to wear on me! I'm ready for summer.

Oooops! I screwed up the other day when I bought some garden seed. I missed the variety on the carrot seed label and bought Petite Sweet, which only grows to be 3 1/2" long! Probably OK from a taste point but they will be a bitch to peel enough for a meal.:( I planted some of them anyway rather than making a 50 mile round trip for something different. Well at least they won't take up much room and they'll be ready by the end of April. Today and tomorrow I'll be planting the onion plants that I bought Thursday. New Moon on Monday and then during the waxing stage up to the Full Moon, I will be direct-seeding some early season above ground crops. Meanwhile the tomatoes and other crops that I planted inside are mostly doing OK and should be ready to plant outdoors at the end of March. They have been spending some time in the direct sun on the back porch occasionally.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with mounting the fermentation tanks and the building to a styrene base that I provided. If you remember from a few days ago, I had an issue with the walkways and piping not being long enough to fit properly. So I took a rounded file and a flat one and went to work on the building part. Then I glued in the first two tanks with Walther's Goo to keep them in place.
IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG

Problem is somewhat resolved. Now on to the other two tanks today. It still needs a little fine-tuning. As you can tell, I got out the Safety Yellow paint and painted the walkway railings. Pipes were painted the other day.

Joe - While BNSF may use Precision Scheduling, the average train length on the Alliance Yard to OKC main line is still just in the 90-105 car range. At least when I encounter them. It may be different at night. They move pretty fast around here since there aren't many grade crossings here in the country. I've paced them on the parallel highway at 60-65 mph. They are beginning to use more rear end helpers as well, maybe up to 30% of the trains now. The UP line 5 miles east uses them on almost every train. The BNSF line is really flat over that distance.
Jeff - Do you have a thread devoted to your layout? I thought that I recalled one at some time.
Louis - I have been reading about the math test scores in Baltimore schools. Zero students at 23 schools passed the proficiency test. Is it really that dismal there??? Or am I just reading selective reporting???

On a high note, Vanna White is 66 today; on the other end of the spectrum, Yoko Ono is 90 today. Why is Yoko Ono like an Ethiopian? They both live off dead beetles.

Everyone have a great Saturday.

A week or so back the handback date for the MRL lease on the BNSF owned ex NP trackage through Montana is reported as touted for 1/1/2023 (New years day) when MRL will officially cease operating. A fire also (the 2nd one) at RY Timber on the old Park branch has caused the cessation of production at that plant altogether and it is now shut down, so that brings that work for 2 of MRL's GP35's to a halt early, unless they engage in site clearing work. I was asking on one of the FaceBook fan sites as to what the thoughts were on BNSF acquiring MRL's SD70ACe's to keep as helpers as they are used for now. Opinion was that they would only want the 4400-4415 ones, if at all because they are the only ones that have the safety cabs fitted. If that's so, then 20 in the 4300 series will, no doubt land in the used market. The 6 GP35s with their 645 power assembly upgrades should find homes, as well as the dash2 modified SD40's. The couple (few?) GP9's still working might go to short lines if they're lucky. Washington Corp, the owners of MRL, as some might know, also own a smaller line in British Columbia, SRY (Southern Rly of British Columbia) which it is thought may take some, but one of the reasons rumoured to be the reason for the ending of the lease at MRL's request, was the age of Dennis Washington and his wife and none of the children wanting to keep it going. It has been run by a board for several years now, which makes one wonder about the Canadian venture's future as well in that case. There was talk at one time of opening or re-opening a passenger line on Vancouver Island I believe, but nothing seemed to come of that. What will happen now of the proposal to operate independent passenger trains through Montana again will now be like UFO balloons. Waiting to be shot down.

A week or so back the handback date for the MRL lease on the BNSF owned ex NP trackage through Montana is reported as touted for 1/1/2023 (New years day) when MRL will officially cease operating. A fire also (the 2nd one) at RY Timber on the old Park branch has caused the cessation of production at that plant altogether and it is now shut down, so that brings that work for 2 of MRL's GP35's to a halt early, unless they engage in site clearing work. I was asking on one of the FaceBook fan sites as to what the thoughts were on BNSF acquiring MRL's SD70ACe's to keep as helpers as they are used for now. Opinion was that they would only want the 4400-4415 ones, if at all because they are the only ones that have the safety cabs fitted. If that's so, then 20 in the 4300 series will, no doubt land in the used market. The 6 GP35s with their 645 power assembly upgrades should find homes, as well as the dash2 modified SD40's. The couple (few?) GP9's still working might go to short lines if they're lucky. Washington Corp, the owners of MRL, as some might know, also own a smaller line in British Columbia, SRY (Southern Rly of British Columbia) which it is thought may take some, but one of the reasons rumoured to be the reason for the ending of the lease at MRL's request, was the age of Dennis Washington and his wife and none of the children wanting to keep it going. It has been run by a board for several years now, which makes one wonder about the Canadian venture's future as well in that case. There was talk at one time of opening or re-opening a passenger line on Vancouver Island I believe, but nothing seemed to come of that. What will happen now of the proposal to operate independent passenger trains through Montana again will now be like UFO balloons. Waiting to be shot down.
Ray, I'm pretty sure all SD70ACe's have safety cabs. Unless the term means something other than what it originally did.

Just the opposite about last year’s Super Bowl. People questioned why McVay stuck with the run game when it was obvious that Cincy was shutting it down(23-43). He did it to make them think about the Rams possibly running the ball, which enabled Stafford to use play action.
True, the Bengals were overly aggressive in playing the run. A disciplined defense will play pass first after shutting down the opponents running game, making play-action a liability.

In defense of the Bengals, all the AFC north teams are run first teams, for the most part. That and the excitement of playing in their first Super Bowl. It's no surprise they over played the run.

It's good to see you Mike!

toot: Ok, so I know nothing about independent passenger service through Montana. That something that MRL dreamed up and maybe was gonna do? Maybe from Vancouver Island's SRY through Washington and Idaho into Montana if SRY starts passenger service? If it happens AND they run daytime, there is some great scenery along the northern parts of all the States above. I would go just cuz.

Later

When I got up around 7:30 it was 24F. Around 8:30am it was showing 22F. Now at 9:10am it is showing 23F. High today is supposed to be around 40F. It is sunny now. Hopefully it stays that way. That temp with sun is pleasant to work in. I was outside a bit a half hour ago and even with the temp, when I was standing in the direct sunlight it felt nice. I was taking in the trash cans so wasn’t out long.

eating now and my BIL should be here any minute. Then off to plan Bob the Builder. I’m hoping we can get up to the sixth layer of foam in the main house and maybe parts of the garage too. Will report back later.

Good late morning to all. Looking at a beautiful sunny day out, with a current 38 showing and looking for 68 as a high.
So tired of not sleeping -- up all hours of the night and don't want to nap during the day - I might miss soimething?
Looks like MAYBELLINE is serving this morning - large coffee, please - and a bowl of grits with butter.
I'll look for TROY in the corner?

OK - What is meant by the term, Safety Cab on the SD70ACe's?

In other news - I had a real fright this morning. I opened my MACPRO and it did not come on?
I pushed every key I could reach and NADA! Finally after 15-20 minutes - I went to pick it up to move it and when I lifted it using my left hand ... it suddenly re-booted????

In other news - I had a real fright this morning. I opened my MACPRO and it did not come on?
I pushed every key I could reach and NADA! Finally after 15-20 minutes - I went to pick it up to move it and when I lifted it using my left hand ... it suddenly re-booted????
I assume this is a MacBook Pro and not a Mac Pro (the super expensive desktop workstation Mac). Was the battery maybe empty and cable ajar and when you were messing with it the cable went into place and started charging it. After 15-20 minutes it was charged enough to boot? I had something like that happen to me on my work computer.

A safety cab is the wide nose cab with armor plate instead of heavy gauge sheet metal construction, anticlimber pilot, and larger collision posts. There are some other features, but those are the big ones.
An "Isolated cab" is mounted on rubber mounts and gaskets between the cab and the front and rear carbody. Those can be identified by what looks like a seam across the front of the locomotive near the end of the nose section.
As for the MBP not booting, sometimes they can glitch, and will need to be unplugged and plugged back in because the SMC gets confused, and forgets what it's supposed to be doing.

Good still morning from a table in the snack bar area of the train show. Gosh my hips hurt and that’s a new one for me. Over 11,000 steps on the cell phone. Since 8 this morning I have been walking around this place. The 8-9 was before opening. Some nice layouts, some new to me and some but not much refreshing of old ones.

I showed this scene after Trainfest in the Fall. But the guy and his layout, SanteFe all the Way is a one man band of like 40, 6’ sections of modular layout. HO scale
69DCB3AA-EC2A-4F58-8787-A3FBAC4AA454.jpeg

Met up with 8 weathering clients and that was the major reason for me being here. Purchased a few items at Steel Mill Modelers Supply but that’s it. The deal for reefers didn’t happen as the wife told him no but revisit it on Sunday night after the show. I don’t work that way and my partner in crime on this one agrees with me.

The TBOX rail cars in brown or yellow are not here at the show. The similar BNSF cars are priced at $7.00 more than I can buy online.The NATX tank cars were found and passed by. I really like the ones I weathered for Smudge617 but these cars were $10 higher per car then the deal we found for Chris a month ago.
489FFB62-13EC-47A8-B7B9-DFBE1A761E18.jpeg

Found the static grass I need for the trees. Kept looking and came back and the sizes and colors, 2mm and 4mm were gone. I am not cutting 12 mm in 1/3rds.

Another buying trip walk around and then I am done here for the day. I met up with the folks and 3 vendors I wanted to. Because I was allowed in 1 hour before the show I looked at the layouts and took a few pictures. Not sure about coming tomorrow but I’ll decide that after the grandson’s hockey game tomorrow morning.

3C54B961-CCEF-488F-8014-3271E23A90EC.jpeg
21ED9E7B-08EC-42CC-8D93-D1B0872ECDB5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back