Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mornin' everyone!

Flo I am starvin' lika Marvin! I will take a steak on the fly n cheese eggs scrambled with all the fixins' and a dozen strips of bacon with a side of hash browns! Wash all that down with some Tropicana OJ please!

Daggum weather drivin' me nuts. Well on the bright side 43 days until April 1st! That's when I start my fishing adventures up here. That day falls on a Thursday so I will be off on that day & Friday to head to Lak Champlain for some crappies. Nothing like a good fish fry!

Well nothing else going on I did some more painting last night. Getting closer to getting all the shelving completed and ready for last round of assemblies. It is taking a little longer than I want since it is cold in the garage/shop area which is about 47 degrees. At least it is dry. The paint take a bit a time to set and dry. I hope to finish all the lower shelving assembly this weekend so that I may install the LEDs then the valance. We shall see.

I would like to do a little "plug-in" if ya'll don't mind. As you know I am a fan of ALCOs. As my grandfather was one of the many men & women that worked at the ALCO plant in Schenectady, NY. Up here in upstate NY we are trying to make awareness to ALCO #5 as it is the only surviving loco from the ALCO plant that did all of the switching duties at the plant. Anyhow I thought to share for awareness. Yes the group is doing some very cool things and ways to raise money including selling HO scale prototype Atlas and Proto units in 2 different paint schemes and selling other various items like a builder plates, handkerchief, shirts and such. Anyways here are some links to view. Enjoy pics and the read at least. The HO scale units are usually posted on ebay to maximize profits for the ALCO #5 as all the $ goes to maintenance an repairs to the loco. From what I understand they are working to get a large shipment of these from Atlas with all the bells and whistles and in 2 paint schemes. Eventually they will be sold at a regular price and such. If anything gang just enjoy the information and pictures and the history read. I am not part of the organization as I do not have the time to participate I just wanted to help raise awareness. Hopefully you see this as a no harm no foul. Thanks!

1613574787318.png

1613575319667.png

Anyhow everyone have a great day! I will check in later.

Stay safe and warm!

Peace

Morning, fellas! -1°F up here in the north; supposed to get up into the 20's come the afternoon. So I can label it a fine day as we should get away without having to wear the mitts.
The wife wants to go ice-fishing. I don't feel like it, so I'm using the 'barometric pressure is too low' excuse.

I feel real bad for all of you experiencing the unusual storm systems to the south and east. Must be a bit of a shocker. I suppose you might take comfort in understanding it is only a temporary setback. Soon enough, you'll be rolling in tomatoes.

Karl - I like the new toy! Seems suitable for a fellow who has the locomotive rebuild knowledge that you seem to have.

I got a new toy in the post, as well. Another Atheran GP9, at last:
View attachment 124898
With that recent purchase, I'm hoping I now have a mating pair:
View attachment 124899
Somethings wrong with my darn camera. The auto-focus seems to be having issues. Suppose I'll have to look for another one, as I can't survive without a camera. My bloodline might just evolve with growing a camera as an extra appendage, in time.

Anyway, I need to be on my way. Good luck with the storms! Have a good one!

Careful with that mating pair you are likely to have some offsprings......... 🤣 😁 :cool:

8:30am and 25F. Got a few inches of fluffy powdery snow since last night. I think it is still snowing lightly -- the wife said it was an hour and a half ago when my son had to go to some sort of HS swim awards morning breakfast and she saw him off. My window well is snowed over (grate that keeps you from falling in is mostly covered) so I can't tell from the office the current situation.

Today is supposed to be light snow. A coulpe inches. Tomorrow just cloudy supposedly, but back to 60% chance of more snow the next two days.

Still nothing compared to the Midwest and Texas.

Nothing train related to report. Except that one of these days soon I am going to try and remove the green cloth I have under my test track (without disassembling the track) so that I can do a better job at pushing the wiring into the foam table top. Right now, even if the feeders are thin, they cause the track to not lay flat, which causes some problems with some cars.

Good afternoon everyone!
All good here in Halifax, temp close to zero here currently but sun/cloud mix today. McLeod, I love those CN locomotives!
We finished painting the swing bridge and extra bracing today on the Sunshine Foundation layout that we are working on up here and got out first couple pieces of 2 inch foam layer cut and glued down. We will finish the other half tomorrow and then look at laying the track. It almost shocked me that the foam wasn’t all exactly 2 inches thick. Of course that disappointed me a little.....more rasping later this week.
Homemade bread this morning for breakfast and lots of Tim Hortons coffee....free plug, but truly is my favourite coffee.
Those of you affected by the shitty weather in places, hang tough and know that our thoughts are with you all.
D2C4F76E-3D84-41C7-9AAE-639F9B6D6A1D.jpeg
D2C4F76E-3D84-41C7-9AAE-639F9B6D6A1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Mornin' everyone!

Flo I am starvin' lika Marvin! I will take a steak on the fly n cheese eggs scrambled with all the fixins' and a dozen strips of bacon with a side of hash browns! Wash all that down with some Tropicana OJ please!

Daggum weather drivin' me nuts. Well on the bright side 43 days until April 1st! That's when I start my fishing adventures up here. That day falls on a Thursday so I will be off on that day & Friday to head to Lak Champlain for some crappies. Nothing like a good fish fry!

Well nothing else going on I did some more painting last night. Getting closer to getting all the shelving completed and ready for last round of assemblies. It is taking a little longer than I want since it is cold in the garage/shop area which is about 47 degrees. At least it is dry. The paint take a bit a time to set and dry. I hope to finish all the lower shelving assembly this weekend so that I may install the LEDs then the valance. We shall see.

I would like to do a little "plug-in" if ya'll don't mind. As you know I am a fan of ALCOs. As my grandfather was one of the many men & women that worked at the ALCO plant in Schenectady, NY. Up here in upstate NY we are trying to make awareness to ALCO #5 as it is the only surviving loco from the ALCO plant that did all of the switching duties at the plant. Anyhow I thought to share for awareness. Yes the group is doing some very cool things and ways to raise money including selling HO scale prototype Atlas and Proto units in 2 different paint schemes and selling other various items like a builder plates, handkerchief, shirts and such. Anyways here are some links to view. Enjoy pics and the read at least. The HO scale units are usually posted on ebay to maximize profits for the ALCO #5 as all the $ goes to maintenance an repairs to the loco. From what I understand they are working to get a large shipment of these from Atlas with all the bells and whistles and in 2 paint schemes. Eventually they will be sold at a regular price and such. If anything gang just enjoy the information and pictures and the history read. I am not part of the organization as I do not have the time to participate I just wanted to help raise awareness. Hopefully you see this as a no harm no foul. Thanks!

View attachment 124900

View attachment 124901

Anyhow everyone have a great day! I will check in later.

Stay safe and warm!

Peace

Here is the 2 paint schemes it had through the years....

1613582184671.png

Good morning from the Central Time zone in Wisconsin. It is 16 and the sun was bright this morning but now we have clouds.

The son in Austin at 10:30 this morning got his electricity back. He’s not sure if it’s a rolling blackout or what. From 8 Monday morning till today was his rolling black out that never rolled. His g/f house was at 30f degrees when he woke to put wood in the fireplace. 30 minutes after the electric came back on the house was at 68. He is waiting for hot water to jump in the shower. Rained all night by him so he thinks the roads are even worst then yesterday. But, he said after his shower he is heading home, no mention about the g/f.

Patrick, my son agrees with you about the power plants by him. Neither was generating much steam out of the smoke stacks yesterday, maybe enough to keep the Capital lit up.

I am working on the ladder cages this morning, finally, for the grain complex. They need to dry and while waiting for that I need to open the holes better for the ladders to fit on the bins.

No matter where you are be extra safe today
TomO
E9F27162-A836-4808-A12E-8AAEE3153360.jpeg

Alright, OK -- For fear of encouraging a hoard of beings descending upon me looking for a warm spot to hang their mittens, I will just say that we here are considerably warmer and drier than most all of the Country!
Just kidding - Anyone needs a place out of the cold - common over -- but you better like my dogs!

Just checking the Weather Channel and looking at the temperatures all over. I see that the roads into Silverton are closed due to snowfall and avalanche danger. I remember back in the 70's being snowbound there for several days at a time. I heated the house with a big ole coal fired stove that consumed about a bucket of "chunk" coal a day; pretty small house, but we stayed nice and warm - we walked most everywhere we needed to go in town.

Here is the 2 paint schemes it had through the years....

View attachment 124902

By the way some people asked already about the HO scale models.

They are coming again in the future.

Most that you see now on ebay are weathered for detail or used. If they don't mention the ALCO #5 organization web page or if the FB account by Alco 5 doesn't' announce it....it is not a benefit to the organization. FYI...

thanks

Wife told me about an hour ago that Rush Limbaugh passed away today. RIP
Willie, I met Rush in Oct 88 on his 1st "Rush to Excellence" tour in Santa Maria, CA. My buddy & I went to the event held at the airport hotel and after the show everybody got a handshake and an autographed picture. He had joked about beer drinkers in the show, and my friend & I were in fact beer drinkers, and my buddy was also the sales rep for a major beer brand. He signed Jerry's picture "Bud Limbaugh"

Willie, I met Rush in Oct 88 on his 1st "Rush to Excellence" tour in Santa Maria, CA. My buddy & I went to the event held at the airport hotel and after the show everybody got a handshake and an autographed picture. He had joked about beer drinkers in the show, and my friend & I were in fact beer drinkers, and my buddy was also the sales rep for a major beer brand. He signed Jerry's picture "Bud Limbaugh"

That's an awesome story! So cool so like Rush!

Howdy .....

We drove home from FL Panhandle to western KY yesterday. We did not want to drive on Monday because of forecasted bad weather on that day. The route begins in Destin, FL and goes north through the middle of Alabama. In Tennessee, we continue north to Nashville. From there we go northerst to weatern Kentucky. Total distance is about 575 miles.

Moday's forecast was for freezing rain and snow in Northern Alabama and Tennessee. Kentucky was to get snow. We waited a day and drove yesterday. By then, much of the the road was cleared of snow and ice. Some places, however, were getting new snow, and we had to slow down. There were many vehicles in ditches in TN from the day before. Going through Nashville was easy because roads were clear, and there was little traffic. Apparently, most people stayed home on Tuesday.

Yesterday, county workers plowed snow on our road. I'm glad they did because we might not have been able to drive up a steep hill at the beginning of our road. It would have been disappointing to have driven 575 miles, and not get home anyhow because we could not drive on our road.

Anyhow, we are tired from the trip home, and we have a lot of stucff needing attention. I have not yet read your posts here since I posted last tim,

Everybody: ...... Have good day.

Currently enjoying a two hour period with power. Don't know if the rolling blackout is over or someone fell asleep at the switch. Our electric coop has not been very forthcoming with information and their website leaves a lot to be desired. Wife has been getting most of our info from FB.

Got a package today, Athearn ready to run 53' trailers. Might be a bit to modern for some but don't worry they have some 40'ers also. At $23 a peice may seem high but the detail can't be beat. Five years ago I would get trailers that I added detail to. Everything from vinyl mud flaps, different landing gear, budd wheels just to name a few. Then there was the hand painting of the aluminum trim on the top and bottom and the edges on the ends. On the back I would hand paint the hinges, lock rods and ICC bar. Lastly all the marker lights, rear lights and install the reflective stripes along the sides and back. Every detail you see on this trailer I would add. Believe me well worth it, and that's why they sell out fast.
IMG_3963.jpg
IMG_3964.jpg
IMG_3965.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back