Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about planes and trains: I kind of like the idea of replacing short commercial flights with passenger rail. For instance, the flight from Detroit to Chicago is 90 minutes, tops, and the two cities are already connected via Amtrak (6-8 hours?). If the trains could be upgraded to rapid rail...

Another thing. With modern telecommunications, there is little need for a businessman's (or politician's) physical presence in any particular location, especially on a few hours' notice. So, what's the need for him to travel cross-country or internationally?
Beady I can't remember the details or the author of a report that I heard on NPR last year. The study showed how high speed rail could supplement intercity travel on the east coast, Boston to Atlanta and all major cities in-between. It would relive congestion at the airports and could actually decrease the times from downtown to downtown compared to flying. It sounded like a good idea to me.

One more thing about my half-brother's pig farm. The guy that lives down the hill from him can tell you what trickles down!

Now I heard more crazy stuff on the TV news!

"Some residents of east Baltimore are calling for a safe zone to smoke marijuana."

I got an idea, how about they get a job, buy a house and do what ever the hell they want to in it!

What will bite you, Louis, Sherrel and others in high tax states is the reduction or elimination of the SALT deduction. I and all who I polled live in Texas where there is no state or city income tax. Otherwise I agree regarding the underachievers et al. See rant below.

While we're discussing taxes, let me relate one "free-loader" that my wife prepared taxes for yesterday. This single mother of four worked four months and earned $12,000 last year and had $175 withheld. She could have worked all year since her mother who lived in her house, cared for her kids, but admitted to my wife that the 12K was the limit before they started cutting her benefits. Now that the tax return is finished, she is getting a check for $7600 from you and me. Call it laziness, gaming the system or all of the above, it just isn't right. If that lady worked 12 months, she would have earned over $36,000, well above poverty level; and well above the $19,600 that she will actually earn, and probably still wouldn't have to pay taxes. My wife hates doing these types of returns.

Willie I had not considered the State and Local Tax deduction. Somebody is not trying to make friends in the blue states. ;)

I'm going back to my desk upstairs to see how much that would have saved me.

My wife and yours could exchanged stories, it might be cathartic for them. My wife get so angry when some of her employees limit their working hours for the same reasons.

One more thing about taxes before I go recaluate mine, hypothetically of course.

I see we are soon going to get to see the Presidents taxes, that will be interesting.

Last edited:
One more thing about taxes before I go recaluate mine, hypothetically of course.

I see why are soon going to get to see the Presidents taxes. That will be interesting.

Probably the same day we see the birth certificate from the previous President.

Hi Gang
I need a little info from the ones who have ridden the Durango & Silverton. The subject of "altitude sickness" has come up. I've never heard of it, and she is panicking about getting sick on the honeymoon, wanting to defer the trip til next summer, and instead honeymooning in Florida.
Anyone experience it?? :confused::confused::confused:
Not on the D&S. My experience was on I-70 at 10k feet, west of Denver. It wasn't bad, just a little feeling of "unwellness." OTOH, I'm perfectly fine at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, at 8k feet. It's mainly an individual reaction at those altitudes, and you can't tell from one person's reaction whether another person will suffer at the same altitude. The nearest thing it equates to, in my experience, is seasickness.

Fun fact: 10k feet is when WW2 bomber crews would go on oxygen.

Last edited:
Probably the same day we see the birth certificate from the previous President.
We have seen that several times, here it is again incase you missed it.
1549647478831.png

Willie on paper I backed out my state and local taxes and just to be on the safe side I used last year percentage of tax paid. It cost me a little over $2000 bringing my percentage of federal tax paid this year down to just over 3% higher than last year.

I'm sure my situation is different from many others. As I said I have 1099 and other income as well as my wife's w-2

I was going to wait unti the last minute before mailing my check, but after seeing the deficit I thought they would need every penny ASAP! ;)

Garry: Actually we drove from Mesa and did a tour of the area with in-laws who live in Arizona and have property in various areas. It was fun to be in 70's weather and then drive up the mountains and find thunderstorms and snow all in the same day.

Greg

No, I was making a comment about some people that hold elected office that are attempting to terrify people, for political gain.
Seems like that has become the standard operating procedure for both parties.

Louis & Terry: Yes, I know I sound like a broken record, but that's what politicians do, try and intimidate the public. I'm old enough to remember a right wing radio preacher who saw a clear and present danger in allowing boat loads of refugees from Eastern Europe into the country. He cited the Kennedy election as an example of letting these "Catholic Commies" to live here. There were politicians who sided with this thinking, because the "Greatest generation" ate this stuff up.

[QUOTE="kbkchooch, post: 451069, member: 1354"]You know those "sound barrier" walls encircling the city of Baltimore? Sometimes I think they should complete them and fill the city with the bay. After all, the city's leaders have allowed it to become a cesspool already, let's finish the job. Get the 2 legged and 4 legged rats all at once[/QUOTE]

Karl: Wonder why there is no outcry about the sound barrier walls? They are ugly, and block the scenic view. In Jersey they use them along the Turnpike, to hide the refineries, Chemical Plants and Railroads. Wouldn't want to give travelers the wrong impression, eh? Flooding Baltimore would not bring about the desired effect, remember the scum rises to the top. :rolleyes: Scum float, rats swim, and the politicians would pledge Billions to rebuild .

Boris

Good afternoon ..

Uh oh ..... I'm not debating the birth certificate issue. .... Let's not say more about that .

How about historical photos ?. ... These pertain to the 1947 wreck of the Twin City Zephyr in Downers Grove, IL (Chicago suburb) ... The Zephyr's consist was an E5 with one of two the Twin Zephyr articulated train sets. (in 1948, these trains were transferred to the Nebraska Zephyr) . ... The train was headed to Chicago at 75 mph. A freight train from Chicago had just passed through Downers Grove. .... A tractor wa not properly secured to a flat car in the freight train. It fell onto the track of the oncoming Zephyr. .... The E5 fell onto its side and went sideways through the depot. Three people were killed . (Two died after the Tribune article was printed.) The engineer was one of the fatalities. ... Fortunately, it was late in teh evening, and the depot had been closed shortly before the accident. Nobody was in the station.

46977565812_df4fd4047a.jpg

46305601714_7bff53e83e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent the morning at the doctor with grandson doing a X-ray and getting his arm cast off then dropped him off at his school. Modeling today I placed the 2x10 boards on the frame, cut and stained the legs, stained the future bracing and built the ramp that will go on the left side of the building. The platform is 11 x 3/4 inches.

Greg- Thank you. Rapido does really nice products.

Toot- Very sad.

20190208_140534-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon ..

Uh oh ..... I'm not debating the birth certificate issue. .... Let's not say more about that .

How about historical photos ?. ... These pertain to the 1947 wreck of the Twin City Zephyr in Downers Grove, IL (Chicago suburb) ... The Zephyr's consist was an E5 with one of two the Twin Zephyr articulated train sets. (in 1948, these trains were transferred to the Nebraska Zephyr) . ... The train was headed to Chicago at 75 mph. A freight train from Chicago had just passed through Downers Grove. .... A tractor wa not properly secured to a flat car in the freight train. It fell onto the track of the oncoming Zephyr. .... The E5 fell onto its side and went sideways through the depot. Three people were killed . (Two died after the Tribune article was printed.) The engineer was one of the fatalities. ... Fortunately, it was late in teh evening, and the depot had been closed shortly before the accident. Nobody was in the station.

46977565812_df4fd4047a.jpg

46305601714_7bff53e83e_b.jpg
Not pertaining to this article, but my mother's aunt lived a couple of blocks from the tracks in Naperville, Illinois. Whenever Mom and my grandmother went to visit, Mom was cautioned to stay away from the tracks because, if the Zephyr came by, she could be sucked onto the tracks and killed. Obviously it was just a story to keep Mom away from the tracks, but the kicker is that, at 91 years old, she still believes it.

Hi Gang
I need a little info from the ones who have ridden the Durango & Silverton. The subject of "altitude sickness" has come up. I've never heard of it, and she is panicking about getting sick on the honeymoon, wanting to defer the trip til next summer, and instead honeymooning in Florida.
Anyone experience it?? :confused::confused::confused:

Karl: Higher altitudes can bother some people, it may take a day to get acclimated. As Chet and others have said, just take it slow till your both more adjusted. Just pace yourselves. The air up there should be nice and fresh with more oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back