Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hall of Famer Robin Roberts pitching in one his 28 consecutive complete games, which included a 17 inning complete game.

And he accomplished this playing for what was generally a mediocre to bad team. From 1950 to 1958, he had 20 or more complete games in all but one season. And he did this on a short turn pitching staff. Amazing. Most of the MLB games I attended were at Connie Mack stadium in Philadelphia, Roberts was the starter in most of those games.

Boris

also "National Shower With a Friend Day". Could be interesting. Please don't post any pictures Beady.
Why not?
thumb_february-5-2017-national-shower-with-a-friend-day-onationaldaycalendar1-13822258.png

Afternoon All,

The wife is volunteering at the school today. I on the other hand spent several hours on the build:cool:. I got three things completed today. First I mounted the hanging roof over the front door supported by the three .015 gauge wires that I dry brushed with rust and black paint. After that I mounted the hanging roof above the sliding loading door (track side) and I built the first of two billboards. It's only sitting on the roof because I need to weather the roof before permanently attaching.

Willie- Great layout pics.

Garry- Thank you.

CA Dave- I hope you get your energy back soon.

Toot- If it's like the Pennsy 0-8-0 T there is a coal bin mounted behind the engineer, but it appears small in size.

Louis- I agree. I have a 2012 Colorado that the most tech thing is the AM/FM/CD radio that came with it. No electric locks or windows. I'm glad Tucker is doing OK.

20190205_114456-2016x980.jpg

20190205_114625-2016x980.jpg

20190205_133618-2016x980.jpg

20190205_133725-3024x1470.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

And he accomplished this playing for what was generally a mediocre to bad team. From 1950 to 1958, he had 20 or more complete games in all but one season. And he did this on a short turn pitching staff. Amazing. Most of the MLB games I attended were at Connie Mack stadium in Philadelphia, Roberts was the starter in most of those games.

Boris
I don't remember Robin Roberts when he played for the Orioles, but I heard and read a lot about him.
My Jack bought this card (not this one, but one just like it) and many other cards for me before I was old enough to collect cards, but I still have them all!
1549402575695.png

Jim Palmer still to this day often speaks of the many things he learned about pitching from Robin Roberts.

Toot- If it's like the Pennsy 0-8-0 T there is a coal bin mounted behind the engineer, but it appears small in size.
Certainly isn't obvious. There must have been a coaling station very handy, so they could replenish easily and often. I did manage to find out that the LV had 4 0-6-0T locos #'s 3354, 3357, 3558 and 3559, but no explanation on why the gaps in the numbering, or whether they were all the same, or who the builder was. They also had 0-4-0T locos as well, that were docksiders, but as the center wheels on the 6 wheelers had flanges, the writer of the piece, theorized they would not have been used there.

The bottom edge of the Monsoonal trough that has been flooding the northern part of the state, appears to have reached down here, Getting frequent showers, heavy at times. The grass will grow.

Certainly isn't obvious. There must have been a coaling station very handy, so they could replenish easily and often.
The coal storage area was about the size of a large trash barrel. It could be small, because those little engines didn't use much coal just toodling around, and the coaling facility was close enough they could get to it on the steam in the boiler, if they had to.

Little bit on the News about the City of Townsville, up in the north. It has received a years worth of rain in a week from the Monsoon effect. The "event" is being classed as a 1 in 100 year. While it is causing a major disaster on the coast, in western Queensland, that hasn't seen rain in years, it's a major blessing. It will be interesting to see how much of that water finds it's way down to Lake Eyre in outback South Australia, which is below sea level.

Good morning Everybody!

It's tax time...dark days.

The NFL season is over, spring training has yet to begin. The three point shot has turned basketball into a run and gun game for the most part. I'm watching a replay of the 76ers and Raptors, the ball is moving back and forth almost as much as a tennis match.

Last edited:

Louis: This is a very interesting 0-6-0T meaning tender attached, the lower area where the fireman(?) Is hanging over the area that would hold the fuel, wood or coal I believe, Boris, could probably say more precisely ! It's interesting to me as the saddle tank that holds the water is relatively small compared to many others which would tend to indicate that this loco was used only for light switching that was fairly close. This type of flat top steam chest is what I model only earlier. Thanks for posting it !

1549439719968.png

Conrail GP38-2-8281 is running long hood forward with one tank car and CR caboose-23128 on N/B train WHBA, the Cockeysville Local. Its just crossed Seminary Avenue and is passing the former Pennsylvania Railroad Lutherville station, which by this time had become a private residence. Still is in 2019. Mid-morning on 3-1-86 in Lutherville, MD
Bill Kalkman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back