Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we headed to pizza hut, knowing we'd not be doing much for family dinners until next weekend. And they have a "Chicago style" deep dish pizza.
Never knew Pizza Hut had this on their menu. It has been a long time since I have eaten at a Pizza Hut. We have so much better pizza places near us.

From the pictures though, it looks like a pretty decent attempt, but I agree you can't beat Giordano's. We have one in Dekalb, about 40 minutes away we go to.

I grew up IMOO the best pizza area in the country (Chicago) and I have had pizza all over the world including Venice, Rome and Piza in Italy. The absolutely best deep dish is still the original.

Pizzera Uno on Ohio St in Chicago. We send pizzas from there all over the USA for friends but mainly family.
IMG_3691.png

If you want a great thin crust pizza, (not cracker) the pizza at Nonna Wells or the Wells Brothers both in Racine, Wisconsin are as good as anywhere

let the pizza debate begin…

The worst pizzas are located in Austin, Texas where even a frozen store bought Tombstone pizza is better!

When I lived in Dallas, there was a Pizza Hut near my home that had a great "thin crust" pizza. Their thin crust was to me a "normal crust", not real thin. However their "deep dish" pizza was what I called deep crust. The toppings were no more than the regular thin crust bot plenty of bread.
I have to drive almost 42 miles round trip to get a decent pizza now......$18.25 for medium with all toppings and $26.00 for a large with all toppings.
A bit pricey but I can get 3 servings from a medium. Its the down side of living out in the sticks.

It's as expensive here in the U.K. Curt. Not only expensive, but the quality of food has gone down dramatically.
Yesterday gas jumped about 40 cents a gallon here. One station was slightly less. Every station I drove by last night (about 30) had the exact same price. That sure sounds like price fixing to me. I guess the gas companies gave themselves an early present.

We went out to dinner last night. Four adults at a sports bar. We had supper with no alcohol, and it cost $80. At this rate the only time we are going to eat out is for a special occasion.
Twenty bucks a plate for pub food. That's about right. I've recently decided that if I'm going to eat out, I'd rather do that than fast food. Those prices are creeping up. Burger King for three people hits 30 bucks without drinks here. Dinner with the guys at the train club Thursday was just under twenty bucks. Two eggs, sausage, hash browns Wheat toast, and a large OJ. With tip, pretty close!

Got gas here yesterday for $2.48 a gallon at the cheap station. They didn't do the annual "Holiday gouge" but many did. Gotta give a piece of the old Christmas cheer to the oil companies if you're traveling for your holidays! It's the American way!

Good Saturday morning to all. Heavy fog right now and heading into the 50’s. Hockey for the grandson at 9 and we need 20 minutes to get there. Hopefully the fog will have lessened.

Gas, at the state wide chain called KwikTrip last night regular was $2.79 up $.20 from last week Friday.
$3.49 for premium. A $.30 per gallon difference from Allan who is about 90 miles east of me

I have not sat at the weathering workbench now since Wednesday. Strangely though no withdrawal pains. There will be some train running as the son and I will be adjusting the NCE wireless signal in the train room. Running the WifiTraxx WiFi module for cell phones as throttles is great as that is running through the house WiFi network that we fixed Thursday. Now to fix the NCE which the son feels may just be by moving the antenna around till we find the sweet spot.

Dinner is out tonight. Giving the chefs the day off today as they both will be busy the 24th and 25th.

enjoy your day

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Happy Festivus Day. Foggy and 59° here this morning. We're under a dense fog advisory. Thunderstorms are still in the forecast for around sundown, into tomorrow. Colder but dry on Monday.

An unfortunate change of plans today, as my granddaughter has gotten the flu; with a temperature of 101° and puking. We had to move the Christmas gathering from her house to my other daughter's home at the last minute. It's only about 2 miles away but I had to notify 13 other families of the change to the location.

Re: Restaurant prices. Pretty much the same story here, prices up, portions smaller, but quality has remained the same. Really obvious at the Red Lobster all you can eat shrimp deal. Portion size dropped from 6 shrimp per serving to 5 and the cost went up! I can't comment on the fast food joints because I never eat at them.

I did get out to the train shed yesterday, and did some minor project work, but I left the camera out there and it is misting in this fog, so it remains there. I won't be out there today. Withdrawal begins.
Here is a different train making it's way around the upper level in 2020, from the archives. This one is northbound intermodal freight through Maultown and Vernon.
Rounding the curve into Maultown.
10-04-20 002.JPG

10-04-20 003.JPG

Skirting around the Maultown Industrial District.
10-04-20 004.JPG

10-04-20 005.JPG

Passing the Drive In Theatre coming into Vernon.
10-04-20 006.JPG

10-04-20 007.JPG

Main drag on the right, backyards on the left.
10-04-20 008.JPG

Passing a mixed freight waiting on the passing siding.
10-04-20 009.JPG

Swal - Kitchen turned out real well.
Louis - No store around here has stopped supplying bags, but most now offer paper to those of us who like to recycle. I use them to start fires in the wood-burning stove; then the ashes go into the compost pile or directly on the garden. Good source of potassium for the plants.
Joe - Have a safe trip.
Tom O - I haven't ever tried a pizza in Austin, but my son and some of my friends who live in the area agree with you that they are terrible.

That's it for this morning, it's time to start getting ready.
Everybody have a great day and a Merry Christmas to all.

The Baggage/Dorm showed up Wednesday. I'll be working on it after Christmas. No interior for this car, as they generally kept the blinds down, and it was pretty spartan anyway. It and the pullman paired window coach I pulled from my stash will both get the UP yellow gray scheme with SP lettering for my San Francisco Overland train. The Overland was bumped from First Class status by the City of San Francisco, though it still had lots of first-class features, like a lounge car with a barber shop. In later years the train was mostly head end traffic (storage mail), two sleepers and some coaches, a dome and a diner, which is when I'll be modeling it. These cars are the last ones I needed to complete the consist.

Baggage Dorm 1.jpg

Baggage Dorm 2.jpg
Paired Window Coach.jpg

For anyone following, the test of the two diners went well. Good tracking and no shorts. The baggage dorm ran well too. No shorts and rolls surprisingly well for a brass car. They are usually lead sleds! Both will get Intermountain ball bearing wheelsets.

I agree wholeheartedly! My thoughts on deep dish pizza are expertly summed up here,
My feelings are not as strong as Jon Stewart. Whatever they call it in Chicago it's good, but it's not pizza. A casserole is more accurate as Jon Stewart pointed out.

though I do believe Chicago hot dogs are the best.
I cannot agree! Pickles, tomatoes, peppers, and whatever other vegetables they use, on hotdogs? It's a hotdog not a salad! ;)

Yellow mustard, onions and sauerkraut or nacho cheese and jalapenos. On an all meat, not beef hotdog, that's how I like it. 😁

Morning folks

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas---

Wait

It isn't a dream. About 4" of new and still dumping. I reinstalled the snow blade on the Toolcat 5600 yesterday so should be good to go. It was still a pleasant 43 degrees last night at 2:30 am when I took the dogs for their nightly stroll.

A neighbor helped me retrieve the Globe Wernicki base unit from the third floor "attic" yesterday and I glued/clamped the delaminating rear plywood on it. I may have to do a little sanding as I used polyurethane Gorilla glue and some squeezed out. I should be able to reassemble most of that unit today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back