Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! Cloudy and 55 heading for a day of cloudy and 64.
Had a great time at the Crawford County Model Railroader's meeting last night. Looked pretty slim on attendance when I first got there. One 4 counting me and it was looking like a short one. I was a couple minutes late and figured I'd be bringing up the rear, but happily we had another 4 come in after me for a total of 8. Nine if you count one member's wife who brings him to the meeting. We're really missing several of our members, one of which died recently, another who just can't physically get there anymore, one who travels here and there all winter and one who goes to Florida each winter.

Our only young member wasn't there, probably because of it being a school night. I'd like to find the time to talk with him and see what he thinks it might take to attract more young people to the hobby and to the club. One thing that makes it hard in my opinion is that we don't have a permanent club layout, but we also don't have a permanent location where we could put such a thing. Several members have built modular layouts and we bring those together at least once a year at a Labor Day celebration. Our modular layout is always a big hit, but once a year for a public showing probably isn't enough to grab someone. I think the best solution is if I won a couple million dollars or so and then I could set up a permanent location 🤣 Here's some photos from the first year we put up our modular layout: CCMR 2018 Layout

Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Nothing much else to report. Yesterday was a good day at work and I'm hoping for another good one today. Hope you all have a great day!

266660664_4819596798063244_5682228834793326811_n.jpg

Morning all,

Currently 61° and breezy, but the winds are picking up. High of 75ish today with wind gusts expected to be near 70mph. Many of the schools in western Kansas have closed as they don't want to have busses turn over with kids inside. Sever thunderstorms are declared when winds hid 58mph, so it going to be very breezy!!:D Current temp is about 20 degrees above the average high for this date.

Louis: Thanks for the Christmas cheer!! I own the Trans-Siberian orchestra disk from your last post, but never heard the David DeBoy one.

Well, howdy there internet people, and those who will never go near Willie's cursed corner of Texas at night, alone.... ;)

It's Troy again.

Update: I like that podcast I mentioned a few posts up (it's about poly-tics so nuff said).

Last night I had to do the first of many upcoming runs to Lowes. Seems the spousal unit wants a new rest-of-bathroom to match her new shower. And the big-box-home-improvement store finally delivered all the pieces.

So I get to remove this:

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 8.01.01 AM.png

Since the underside is open except for a small set of drawers under the screwdriver, I thought getting the bog roll holder off the cabinet might be the tough part. Easy access to everything. Easy peasy!

I was wrong. Very wrong.

That countertop is at least 30 years old. Expanding and contracting with the humidity and each shower.... Eventually, it has fused its essence with the screws.

Since I want to keep drywall work to a minimum, the sledgehammer and crowbar are still in the last resort phase.

I have an oscillating tool! Yes!

But only blades for wood...

Went to Lowes and bought a three-pack of Wood and Nail blades...

Should have got the carbide tipped or whatever... 15 minutes later I had one screw cut... Another 20 min and the second one finally broke. After 20 min on the third screw, I gave up. I probably killed any edge on the blade. At this rate, I'll use all three blades, and still have a screw left to go...

So, back to the store this morning I go.

But coffee first.

Good Cold Morning!
It's -16 outside today.
CoffeeShop.jpg

My son will be staying with us for one month, while is in-laws visit his family. His mother-in-law has stage 4 cancer, with her husband paranoid he'll loose her via covid from the son's work. Mostly, it's a case of over-paranoia. So he's asked my son to isolate himself while they visit from BC, to see the G-kids for the last time. - I don't know those people, myself. The women has been given a few months left by doctors.
Actually, the son's wife and I never got along. I dislike the attitude of lazy couch-potatoes. Still, I'm sad for her mothers condition.

I need to go out there and try to fix the son's car today. It's leaking antifreeze. He's using my truck to go to work. - It's going to be a real bugger working on that thing in this cold.

Anyway, here's a prototype photo,, and then I have to go:
CN 3933_ES44AC_10-28-2021 (27).JPG
That's one of the last photos I took before the snow came.

Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 69°, somewhat muggy at 84% humidity. That 69° is incredibly warm for an overnight temperature for this time of year. It will change come this Saturday. We're under a wind advisory today with southerly winds in excess of 40 mph.
My wife got the staples removed from her knee yesterday, a real relief. She is now able to shower normally and I was able to remove that damn handicap seat thing from the walk-in shower. It got in my way. Removing it each time I showered was always an option, but the bathroom/shower configuration did not readily make that an option each time. The other bathroom is just not as convenient and that tub/shower would then have to be cleaned occasionally. Yes, I am lazy to some extent!
I did note that the price of gas was down to $2.75/gallon yesterday, coupled with my gas points I got a 40¢ per gallon reduction on top of that. Now if only groceries would go down. Last week, ground beef was $6.98/lb. Chuck roast was $3.98/lb. I bought the roast and will make my own ground beef. It's not difficult, cube it up and run it through the food processor or meat grinder. I can use either, but the food processor is easier to clean. Takes about 20 minutes to do a four pound roast.
Yesterday's outdoor tasks included stacking the wood that I cut Monday and all that I split over the past week. It's looking more organized out there. I haven't needed a fire in the heater for a few days and there's a few more of those days coming up. The warmer weather this season is really nice. Mid-December already and I am still in the tee-shirt and shorts mode. There has been a few cold mornings so far, just not as many as usual. We got that back in the deep freeze last February. In a typical December I have to heat about 20 days, I've had four this year.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the layout project progress; Joe, Guy, Sherrel, Steve J, Karl, Rick, Chad, James, OB Ken, Jaz, Patrick, Hughie, Christian, Curt, Tom O, Louis, Tom, IB Ken, Tom H.

Hello Flo. Set me up with a bowl of Rice Krispies and milk this morning. Oh! and some bacon on the side.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was an easy going day. Nothing major, just mostly adding details to the scene to the south of the bakery. The Totem Pole Trading Post looked a bit bare. By the way, this structure is a Blair Line laser-cut wood kit called Tourist Trap, which is the first laser-cut structure that I built years ago.
IMG_0036.JPG

Well let's put a sign there.
IMG_0037.JPG

And one on the other end.
IMG_0038.JPG

Now one on the front next to the stuffed grizzly bear.
IMG_0041.JPG

OK now I need some figures and vehicles.
IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Overall view with the bakery.
IMG_0045.JPG

And the bakery parking lot. Whoops! I still need to add stripes to the building side of the lot.
IMG_0046.JPG

Behind the Trading Post is some industrial trackage that has not yet been fastened, that the railroad uses for storage for cars at both the bakery and brewery. I need to look at the overall situation there and finalize what I am actually going to do. Besides the storage spur, there is one going into the brewery. That particular track is code 70 since anything taller and the boxcars won't fit through the DPM wall sections. i can't post that picture in this post because I have reached the limit!!!! I also want to add an additional spur to this industrial complex for another industry that I have to the left (south) of the brewery.

Guy - While I agree that shoveling snow is good exercise, it seems to be rather time consuming; time better spent modeling or preparing the train room. I like the photos from yesterday.
Joe - Good luck with the gas company. It seems like they are going to go through a lot of expense replacing the meter for no revenue gain! Since I use propane, and only for cooking, I have complete control.
Land lines. - Since I retained my land line, fiber-optic service came to me free of charge due to a government grant to my ISP. Cell service used to be more spotty out here until they installed a tower about 1.5 miles away. While it usually worked, there were times that we had to drive a half mile down the road to keep it from cutting out! We've actually had one cell number since 1985 or so to avoid long distance charges.
Congratulations on 44 years. We just did 49 in September, that's how long I have had my beard!
Troy - Not sure what you meant by reformed politician. That is an oxymoron in my view!
Many of us, myself included, have rebuilt layouts that we barely operated if at all. Good luck to you on your decision.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good morning y'all. 36° and sunny. Forecast calls for a high in the mid 50s and increasing clouds. While above average, mid 50s in December is not uncommon here in Jersey.

No jury service today. I should concentrate on the model railroad. I have too many unfinished projects just sitting there on the bench.

Hope everyone has a safe day...stay Healthy.

In my neck of the woods, the vultures and buzzards would clean up the mess before the coroner would get there!

I am with you Willie......couple things to keep in mind:

My Grandma always said hug your enemies so you know how big of hole to dig.

Never mess with a man who can kill you from another zip code...

Never trust a man that your dog does not like......

Mess with a Divemaster and they will never find you.....ever.

Jimmy Hoffa? ......My grandad still has the shovel......

Beware of owner whose dogs are named Smith, Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Savage, Shiloh, Rossi, Kimber, Beretta, Moss....

Security and insurance signs provided by S&W, Colt, Ruger, Savage, Shiloh, M&P, Glock, Rossi, Kimber, Beretta, Marlin Remington, Ithica, Mosberg ....

The no Trespassing and Private Property warning sings are for your protection. Best to have to have your life in order to meet your maker.......so do to inflation and price gouging and other incurred expenses you will not hear what's coming......

;)

Morning from the Wild West! The sky river has passed through. I do not know of hearing a snow report - MOH had the TV control and was watching Hallmark movies. Actually I like them too! Everyone looks nice and clean, there is no violence, and usually no poly-tics except maybe local small town stuff. It's so easy for me to stray from my inten t -- and that was to bring you the water report.
The town website has recorded 2.41 inches, but my unofficial bucket had a good 4 inches in it, and the yard was standing in water, and at one moment water was running curb to curb - haven't seen that since 1992.

I mad a dash for the food store as soon as there was a break in the waterfall. Forgot several items in my haste therefore I shall have to make another run this morning. That's O.K. - I need to stop at the Depot for a couple things too.

JOE - as LOUIS said, You are a busy man! Glad to hear that you are staying fit!
Oil Belt KEN -- I liked the photo tour especially the refinery tower trucking spread. Nice touch on the drilling rig too!
I grew up in an oil patch, so I like seeing things like that - not normally seen on a train layout.
I think that Trucker DAVE will like that too?

LOUIS - Your in great form lately - nice to see that.
CURT - Nice photos of your layout too! If you are not careful - you will work yourself out of a job?

Everyone have a great day - I'm going to find another coffee!

Joe - Good luck with the gas company. It seems like they are going to go through a lot of expense replacing the meter for no revenue gain! Since I use propane, and only for cooking, I have complete control.
Willie:
1. I enjoyed looking at this morning's photos, on how you enhanced those buildings...outstanding modeling.

2. The water utility changes their meter every five to ten years, supposedly, under PUC Mandate. What they do, is go meter to meter, and change out each customers meters systematically. The meters are located in the easement between the curb and sidewalk, so there is minimal interference.
The gas meter, is also outside, adjacent to the garage. I have been here 36 years, now, and do not recall a systematic change out of meters. The last time they changed my meter was just before I replaced my current heating system. I don't really have an issue with them changing the meter, just their arrogance. I will call them on my terms and set up an appointment convenient to me.

Our town council, is patting themselves on the back, for influencing Verizon to run their fiber-optic network into the neighborhood across Hwy. 9 from our side. They probably won't consider this side of Hwy 9 in my lifetime. So I'm stuck with the cable company's internet @ $94.00 / month. Louis mentioned 5G home internet through T - Mobile...something like that may be worth exploring.

The vet, where we normally board the kitty, no longer offers boarding....guess why....and none of the other practices advertise the service. So we have decided to take her along...although she has never traveled longer than the half hour ride to the vets. e can tranquilize her, to ease the trauma of a long car ride, and buy a cat cave to house her while we are there. Should be interesting...

Too many folks are not home when the package arrives (Photo is Amazon's proof of delivery)

A photo on the porch is not proof of anything. Packages are addressed to a person, not a porch (or address). To a person (at an address). Until that person (or his/her representative) has the package, it is not delivered and the sender or delivery company is liable in my books. I've told them that several times as well and if I lose a package due to that I will charge it back on my CC if they don't otherwise take care of it.

I mad a dash for the food store as soon as there was a break in the waterfall. Forgot several items in my haste therefore I shall have to make another run this morning.
Since I live 25 miles from the grocery store, I never go without a list and a pencil to cross items off when I put them in the cart. The pending list is next to the computer in the dining half of the kitchen so I can add items as I use them. Remembering capers or artichokes is impossible in the store unless they're on the list! :D Beer is the only thing that I don't have to put on the list, it's automatic. Tomorrow's trip will be a double so I don't have to go on the Thursday before Christmas and meet crowds.

Good Cold Morning!
It's -16 outside today.
View attachment 136923

My son will be staying with us for one month, while is in-laws visit his family. His mother-in-law has stage 4 cancer, with her husband paranoid he'll loose her via covid from the son's work. Mostly, it's a case of over-paranoia. So he's asked my son to isolate himself while they visit from BC, to see the G-kids for the last time. - I don't know those people, myself. The women has been given a few months left by doctors.
Actually, the son's wife and I never got along. I dislike the attitude of lazy couch-potatoes. Still, I'm sad for her mothers condition.

I need to go out there and try to fix the son's car today. It's leaking antifreeze. He's using my truck to go to work. - It's going to be a real bugger working on that thing in this cold.

Anyway, here's a prototype photo,, and then I have to go:
View attachment 136927That's one of the last photos I took before the snow came.

Have a good one!
And a great picture it is. Great for ideas if you model the “dead season” that is the time between Summer’s end and prior to the snowfall

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back