Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then did the initial ballasting (dirt) on the new sidings and cinders on the track where coal gets dumped for the coaling tower. Now at a standstill until tomorrow. I need to look on YouTube for making a walking path. The idea is a path from the terminal office to where the diesels are at.

Jaz- Great looking kitchen. Great scenes. Awesome scratch building. I love the 3-wheeler.

Joe- Thank you. That was a great game.

Dave- That will be a highlight of your layout.

Terry- Congratulations on your new arrivals. I would have thought the IM locos would run better than the Bachmann.

TomO- The building looks like it started as a roundhouse. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. What's the purpose of the egg crate and straws? You could use tulle for that.

Troy- Sad news about Anne Rice. I read 3-4 of her vampire books until I had my fill of vampires. Same thing happened with the "walking dead series", I watched 3 seasons then got tired of zombies and basically the same story line every season.

Willie- Nice scenes. Neat scratch build. Too bad it isn't in a more visible location.

Guy- I have found it amazing how small things really change the look of the building, even if it's a cheap plastic kit.

This terminal office replaces the foundry. This is from FOS and I believe it was my first craftsman kit even if it's pretty basic.

View attachment 136809

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt

I use the egg crates mainly as a holder for rolling stock in for repairs or for weathering projects.
EEC8679B-4073-4A3A-B3E5-2D366FCFB00F.jpeg

But in this case I am using the egg carton to stand the straws straight up for spray painting.
A172271B-744A-4CFE-BCC6-8AD8D76B6F3C.jpeg

The straws are going to be pipe loads and I put wood skewers through the carton to stand them up straight. In this case I added the straws and spray painted the primer colors.

TomO

Great minds… and all that! I have 2 turntables I use with the egg crates, especially when weathering. They were purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond a few years ago using the coupons received in the mail. Very inexpensive that way. My wife Terry no longer questions why I get things at the Dollar Stores. World of variety, bed B and B and other places I would have never been caught dead in years ago. When at those places I always have a coupon to use except at the Dollar Stores that have no coupons that I am aware of

TomO

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then did the initial ballasting (dirt) on the new sidings and cinders on the track where coal gets dumped for the coaling tower. Now at a standstill until tomorrow. I need to look on YouTube for making a walking path. The idea is a path from the terminal office to where the diesels are at.

Jaz- Great looking kitchen. Great scenes. Awesome scratch building. I love the 3-wheeler.

Joe- Thank you. That was a great game.

Dave- That will be a highlight of your layout.

Terry- Congratulations on your new arrivals. I would have thought the IM locos would run better than the Bachmann.

TomO- The building looks like it started as a roundhouse. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. What's the purpose of the egg crate and straws? You could use tulle for that.

Troy- Sad news about Anne Rice. I read 3-4 of her vampire books until I had my fill of vampires. Same thing happened with the "walking dead series", I watched 3 seasons then got tired of zombies and basically the same story line every season.

Willie- Nice scenes. Neat scratch build. Too bad it isn't in a more visible location.

Guy- I have found it amazing how small things really change the look of the building, even if it's a cheap plastic kit.

This terminal office replaces the foundry. This is from FOS and I believe it was my first craftsman kit even if it's pretty basic.

View attachment 136809

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt

regarding the building I think you are right that was an old 2 or 3 stall roundhouse. Found the base in another bin a few minutes ago.

TomO

Good evening. It's raining and windy, and 74.
In the tradition of Murphy, I was driving the newsed car, it began misfiring, and the check engine light started flashing. drove home, and connected my scan tool, and discovered a cylinder 4 misfire. I guess that answered the question of whether it had gotten its scheduled tune up, though it would have been nice if I'd gotten to drive it for 3 days before needing to do it.
Surprise #1- spark plugs for it are almost $9 each
Surprise #2- I had to dismantle the top part of the engine to access the rear set of plugs (which is, of course, where #4 is).
I was able to finish up, change the oil, and program two new remotes for it before the heavens opened up.
Terry- when I had Big Red yet, I was getting a P0300- “random cylinder misfire”. By the time I cleaned the air filter(K&N), swapped out plugs, a set of plug wires & and coils, I was in excess of $450.
Hopefully, all of our MidSouth friends survived that scary line of tornadoes this weekend. Up here in the middle of Wisconsin, we ended up with a half-foot of snow. About 20 minutes up the road in Colby(cheese was named for the village, which was in turn named for one of the construction partners who helped build the WI Central RR).
Joe- as I seem to recall, that happened at Penn’s Franklin Field(the oldest current stadium to have hosted an NFL team(1958-70) ) & Mr Kringle was reported to be, shall we say, “three sheets to the wind”. Seamus McCaffrey was the judge for Eagles’ Court.
Tin foil-dull side,plastic. cable ties just hide the join
I thought the tin foil was supposed to go on top of your head, to keep Big Brother from reading your thoughts.
Good afternoon Everybody!

Been very busy, thank God for the energy needed. 😁 now that I'm feeling so.much better I realize just how sick I was for so long.

We must support our troops from the time they signup until the time they leave us. God Bless them all.

I believe every citizen should vote, but no one should be President unless they have served in the armed forces. It is easy to talk tough when you don't know what you are talking about.

Have a great day Everybody!

God bless us Everyone
Louis- at the risk of ending up as part of a signature, I agree with that sentiment. I don’t think we’ve had a POTUS who actually served in combat was GHWB, who served USNR missions in the Pacific Theatre. One of the planes he flew is(or at least was 10 years ago) on display on the USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum on the Hudson River in NYC.

My own personal theory? Anyone who has receives 50% or more of their income from 'public' source should NOT have the right to vote. How can you truly vote disinterested if it might cut off your income?

Personally I think that the vote is only to be had by those who have a net payment of taxes into the system (vote feds you have a net payment of taxes to the feds -- vote state, same for state taxes). This is net credits and deductions. Ie, after all credits are settled, and you've still paid in. Have a $1000 tax bill and have $1500 in credits? No net taxes paid so no vote. Only those with skin in the game can vote how to spend it.

Good morning as I type this starting at 12:35am.

Thanks for the suggestions on the nailing plate on the end of the ties. I will try painting silver on a bundle tomorrow. I will try some thing paper sprayed silver and glued to the ends on another bundle. I will head over to the nearest rail yard near me in Madison at the WSOR. Hopefully they have some newer tie bundles laying around. If not I think I can convince my traveling partner we need to hit Janesville, Wi and check out the yard there for tie bundles On Wednesday when it supposed to hit 60f degrees.

Mike, sorry. I don’t miss the snow or the drive from Lake DuBay to Marshfield, especially on Hwy C. I will not destroy from foil hat to create the end plates for the ties. I have worked to hard to avoid the government invasive rays and things. My foil hat stays!!! My hat is similar but hers is bigger!
35FA313E-083A-41D4-9C07-88E3B75EB6E7.jpeg

TomO

I don’t think we’ve had a POTUS who actually served in combat was GHWB, who served USNR missions in the Pacific Theatre.

He, GHWB, was the last to service in Combat I believe, but his son, GWB also served in the military -- Texas Air Guard (though Wikipedia also says he driller with the Alabama guard for a while and was honorably discharged from the Air Force Reserve, which is not mentioned in the article under his actual service, so strange.)

Last edited:
Personally I think that the vote is only to be had by those who have a net payment of taxes into the system (vote feds you have a net payment of taxes to the feds -- vote state, same for state taxes). This is net credits and deductions. Ie, after all credits are settled, and you've still paid in. Have a $1000 tax bill and have $1500 in credits? No net taxes paid so no vote. Only those with skin in the game can vote how to spend it.
That one is a slippery slope, because if they raise the tax threshold you pay to vote they slowly erode the masses from voting until only the elite get a vote.

Good morning as I type this starting at 12:35am.

Thanks for the suggestions on the nailing plate on the end of the ties. I will try painting silver on a bundle tomorrow. I will try some thing paper sprayed silver and glued to the ends on another bundle. I will head over to the nearest rail yard near me in Madison at the WSOR. Hopefully they have some newer tie bundles laying around. If not I think I can convince my traveling partner we need to hit Janesville, Wi and check out the yard there for tie bundles On Wednesday when it supposed to hit 60f degrees.

Mike, sorry. I don’t miss the snow or the drive from Lake DuBay to Marshfield, especially on Hwy C. I will not destroy from foil hat to create the end plates for the ties. I have worked to hard to avoid the government invasive rays and things. My foil hat stays!!! My hat is similar but hers is bigger!
View attachment 136834

TomO
Suggestions are suggestions and it is often in the eye of the beholder I have often disregarded advice as it did not suit me,no one should feel obliged to follow suggestions,

I have just posted on a thread with a ‘bring it’ option which means people can trash your work,nit pick etc, I am interested to see if anything constructive comes up,but it does not mean I plan to change the existing model,as I suspect they will want me to trash the model to get closer to the reference…ain’t gonna happen on this model it was my dads and he let me have it, he saw the upgrade liked it, he is now with his maker and I will not upgrade that one, I may acquire another and do the extra though
715FF03F-404E-4860-A069-B49A31E7C9EC.jpeg

I am happy with paint and rust things I know should be done are
rip out a light
add plastic for the half open window
cut the door open
cut and crush the bonnet
rip off at least one wheel,

I did hide the appalling windscreen wipes with seed/leaves
I did add sunvisers
i really should have replace the awful painted mirror
and I went rat look and a voided the wheels, I could hot knife and flatten a wheel, but I won’t, my dad liked it and it stays as it is.

but I want the advice, I know they like dull coating before painting and I plan to try that.

I am happy with paint and rust things I know should be done are
rip out a light
add plastic for the half open window
cut the door open
cut and crush the bonnet
rip off at least one wheel,

I did hide the appalling windscreen wipes with seed/leaves
I did add sunvisers
i really should have replace the awful painted mirror
and I went rat look and a voided the wheels, I could hot knife and flatten a wheel, but I won’t, my dad liked it and it stays as it is.

but I want the advice, I know they like dull coating before painting and I plan to try that.
I'd dull coat after the paint, but mask off the windows. I'd probably just brush on a matte finish dullcoat. Other wise I like it.

Good morning....Coffee Flo, thanks for all the likes on the hopper cars.

Jaz- As I've mentioned in the past,no 2 railcars weather the same, no 2 sides weather the same. Is the tire flat or sunk in the dirt, is the window broke or rolled down, it's all in what you do and how it's interpreted.
As for those other questions that may be bugging you, a zebra is white with black stripes, their belly is all white not black, it takes a chicken to hatch the egg let alone 2 to make it, and the glass issue depends on what process your doing. If empty and you're filling it and stop half way then half full. If full and empty it half way then half empty.

Well, howdy there internet people in awe of Christian's cactus planting skills

It's Troy again... Today, lets talk about double-doubles, animal style... no... that's in Sherell's neck of the wood. Don't want to exclude Willie and the Tx contingent... ;)

I'm up. With a dull headache. Thanks Flo...Coffee and one of Mel's mother's holiday cookies. Heavy on the icing. Yeah the Pagan Tree one is good.

So... the more I read Tony Koester's book, the less inclined I am to try to model a second (upper) deck right now. Not saying no to it, just don't want the commitment to the double layer. Yet.

Fortunately, on my freelance route, I was planning on being in the Pacific NW, so mountains make a good backdrop. And those mountains can let me embed a few wide curving climbs and eventually disguise a ramp up to a future 2nd level. that ramp would take up three pieces of 3' flextrack - or six if I want a double mainline -- so not a huge investment in prep for expansion.

BUT, If I do add an upper deck, I still want it at a lower than eye level for me (5'10 standing.) That means to get a 12 gap between the lowest railtop on the lower, and bottom of the upper, adding 5 inches for construction of the upper deck (1x4 + 1" foam + roadbed and track.

My current benchwork is averaging 45" off the floor (uneven basement floor) to top of lowest rails. Add 16" plus 5 inches, and my upper level top of rails should be at 5' 6. That's about eye level. Grrrrr... I'd like 2 less inches of height.

I'm facing two main questions:
1. do I drop the current deck by about four inches? That would be a good and tallish version for seated operation.
2. How extensive of a rebuild do I work on - especially if I'm going to dismantle enough to lower the lower/current deck?

Considerations: This area will be shared with the 4x6 ft (ish) gaming table.
The primary role of this layout is rail-fanning with continuous run trains
I'm looking at a folded dogbone design

Here's the current scribblings of the mind... I know the right end of the dogbone needs serious work on design. My idea is a mountainous waterfall are in the V corner to get some separation between left and right scenes. Just not sure what or how to keep the loop running and still keep some interest on the right end of the dogbone. Feedback is welcome
troys train layout ver dec 2021.jpg

Good morning and solemn as well everyone,
More than a Foot of snow the other day, thundershowers two days later and the snow is all gone…..unreal…..lol
Lots of coffee this morning with bagel and cream cheese.
Prayers for those lost in the tornado Tragedy.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers are the 108th Grey Cup Champions 🏈🏈🏈🏆🏆🏆🏆
I wish all of you have a fantastic day moving forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back