Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
And thank you for your service, because you make us safe,and when I say that I am including the Uk, the US for years has been patrolling the seas,and the EU have failed to pay most of the money they owe, no wonder Trump a business man blew his lid.
We continue our allegiance with the Australian deal, much to the French ire - which honestly the Australians should have handled better. And (yes yes I know do not start sentences with ”and” with the Chinese and Russian pressures we may need people like you very soon. Although I wish our governments looked after their veterans better :(. The schemes for getting them work on civvie street are appalling and once you leave they pull the rug from you regarding any accommodation,as if risking your life is of no consequence….deep sigh.
I totally agree with your sentiments Jaz, as an ex serviceman myself. It's a sad state of affairs the way serviceman risk their lives for the safety of others, and then are left high and dry, with little or no support in place to help them re adjust to civvie street especially if injured either physically or mentally, seems like an attitude of " You've done what you were asked to do, sorry you got hurt, now sod off" pervades both governments. There is no support for UK servicemen after discharge unless injured, and even that is limited. The US does do a lot more to help but still not enough .

Well, howdy there internet happy and unhappy cafe people,

It's Troy again.

Speaking of Veterans ... always happy to help out. This time of year when you're in the mood for a little extra giving, there are some wonderful not for profits that do stellar work. I'll link to two local ones to me, but you can find all sorts in your neck of the woods.

First, you might find an org that helps vets dealing with trauma such as PTSD and substance abuse that have left them sleeping rough, or on the streets. Here in Indiana USA we have the https://www.hvafofindiana.org/. I've volunteered my skills with their org by taking photos of some of the group living homes they've purchased and rehabbed, as well as some event photography of fundraisers, and participants. That was about 6 to 8 years ago, so they've got newer photos on the site.

Orgs like this consist of Vets reaching out to homeless vets, and helping them learn to trust again. The group's leaders have said the toughest part of getting a vet off the street isn't getting off of whatever substance they're on, but, it's getting them to trust another human. They've lost that in most cases.

And, Veteran suicide, due to the endless wars our politicians send them on, is always too high. That's why our local toy-soldiers gaming group selected https://fw22.org/ as our charitable cause at our next tourney. This group was started by two local vets to head off as many of those attempts as possible. They also help with local military families in need, as well as families of deployed service men and women.

Our local gamers will purchase chances at door prizes, or re-roll certificates to burn when their dice go cold and they really need that six instead of a one.

Wife and I made a donation this year to HVAF to help them with clothing heading into the winter weather for the vets who need to stay warm(er).

I know there are similar groups across the pond. If you're an Amazon shopper like me, set up charity on https://smile.amazon.com/ Designate a charity, and then be sure to but that SMILE in front of the amazon.com whenever you go online. You're basically helping to steer Amazon's charitable giving that way. Its not much, but every penny helps these orgs.

Hope this helps.

I have a sister who lives in Minneapolis whose attitude about injured servicemen, they knew what they were getting into when they joined the military. Let them pay for their own care.
Ohh Ken, that's cold , Those Minnesota winters must have frozen her heart as well as her brain. If our forefathers felt that way we would still be subjects of the crown.

We owe the veterans so much. They served so that we can live our lives freely, we owe them the opportunity to live theirs the same way.

267043996_10228129176238730_8663275888359717472_n.jpg

Oh Brother! So much to comment on - so little time.
We are starting the day at a rather cool 36F😉 the coolest day of winter - so far. After lunch we just may make it up to a 65F forecast high, and with sunny skies.
After our forecast "STORM" (the weather folks out here make me laugh) our lack of moisture has once again allowed us to fall a half inch below, 2.18 vs 2.61 normal for this time of year. :(

GUY - You have the makings of a nice town with your buildings and lighting!
I know, huh! I cannot quite figure out if locomotives are attracted to poles, or poles attracted to locomotives?
Most generally, it is hard to keep the poles out of the picture - unless you are out in the desert, or somewhere like that. I have started a file with many of your photos in it - you have some really good ones!

Here it is the weekend already. I had a couple option spreads that paid off handsomely over a couple thousand each - and then I looked again and had a couple that lost that amount as well ... not in a good mood this morning - all that sweat and just came out even, but I am thankful, it could have been worse!

Francine, Good morning to you - I would like a stack of Mel's flapjacks with a pile of bacon on top, please. I'll join Jessie over in the corner, thanks!

Good Morning All. Clear and chilly at 41° with the high only expected to be 54° today, a far cry from the 82° of the last two days. It will begin to warm up slowly tomorrow and hit 80° again Tuesday and Wednesday if the NWS is to be believed. Roller coaster weather is the norm for us at this time of year. Historically Christmas day is in the 70's more than in the 50's. Yes, we have had a couple of white Christmas's before. 4" in 2012 and 12" in 2009, those were more significant than anything in the previous 40 years that I have been keeping records at this house.

I split some more wood yesterday, I have minor soreness in the lower back today, not enough for a pain reliever though. Thankfully it doesn't usually affect me. Our home health care nurse Staci came by yesterday afternoon, I felt like I needed to observe since she was out of uniform wearing those Lululemon pants.
I spent almost an hour unsuccessfully setting the new camera up for wifi transfer of photos. Software all seemed to download OK, both the computer and camera. But the camera is having trouble communicating with the access point. It shows it is there, but just cannot communicate with it. So in the meantime I will just have to continue to remove the SD card and transfer the files the old way.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Jerry, Rick, Patrick, Christian, Joe, Chad, Gary, Sherrel, Karl, Tom O, Tom H, Guy, Mikey, James, Jesse.

Chilly out there this morning Francine, so I'll take a couple of giant breakfast burritos with a big bowl of spicy salsa.

Life got in the way of a productive day in the train shed yesterday, although I got a little done. I first started by painting a concrete walkway on the layout's plywood surface, and installing a pipe to carry the corn oil to the pump house.
IMG_0018.JPG

The pipe will emerge on the other side of the two tracks where the platform is. Then the plan has been to install a raised walkway from that door in the bakery to a corresponding door in the flour unloading facility. I don't know any other term to describe that building. So that has to be scratchbuilt.
Frame and supports made from Evergreen styrene shapes.
IMG_0019.JPG

The walkway itself will be a metal grate made from this product.
IMG_0020.JPG

I bought this about 20 years ago knowing that I would need it someday!
The end result after cutting it with an Exacto #11.
IMG_0021.JPG

Next I will be adding handrails and crossover steps, both details that will only be visible from a small viewing area. But I have a lot of stuff like that on the layout. I am concerned about painting this. I want to use yellow, but I only have that color in brush-on paint and I am concerned about the mesh filling in. he mesh is pretty tiny.

Troy - Probably a little late to tell you, but a couple of $20's usually get things delivered inside around here.
Jerry - .
The box cars at the bakery, that's a lot of loafs of bread!
That bakery makes muffins which use corn oil. One of the doors is for incoming packaging materials and other supplies.
Tom H -
Those are some great scenes there Willie, I may just steal some ideas from you
Steal away, I don't mind. They're meant to be shared. I got a lot of my ideas from others.
Excellent cab ride video of an equally excellent model railroad. I don't normally view videos that are that long, but I viewed it from beginning to end. I have been following your build thread for a few years now but I don't recall ever seeing a track plan. Does one exist?
Chris - I would never make that kind of promise to my wife.
Curt - Been there, done that. I once accidentally installed a Tomar bumping post (all metal) without an insulated rail joiner that shorted out the whole system. I finally located it by turning off individual DC blocks until the short went away and examined the spur that I had recently installed without testing.
Guy - Nice work on the structures. Can't wait to see them on a layout.
Sherrel - That is rather chilly for you out there. I have had a disappointing month in the market, but I finally regained everything in the last week. Still way up for the year though, but just 5.2%. I need to move more "safe money" into aggressive funds.

Nothing special about today except it's Saturday. It is another palindromic day as well, 12-11-21. One more coming this month in 11 more days.

Good Afternoon!

I'm very happy just now. A bit of lighting was installed in the coffee shop, and I nearly have two buildings ready for the layout.
View attachment 136642
A roof and the floor still has be be put into the diner, plus the waitress (who has a chip on her shoulder) has to be painted. Suppose I should weather the building as well. All in all, though, I'm a happy camper.
More photos:
View attachment 136643
View attachment 136644

The camera seems to be picking up a-lot of glare. They look far better in real life. Plus, I can dim these lights.

I'm lighting up the towns front row based on a bet the G-kids will have an enjoyable time playing with the layout. Plus, the lights are for the child hiding in me, as well. I hope I get knocked down by a meteorite if I ever grow up.

I have renewed enthusiasm for the hobby. Time to get on with it. I want lights; lots of lights.
Absolutely love what you've done with these. Both look awesome, but that Ace store looks like I could walk right in to it. Amazing work!

Good morning all! Cloudy and 38 here with high winds of 38 gusting to 45 mph. Stormed a while during the night, but not seeing any damage here anywhere. Condolences to those who lost loved ones to the storms overnight.

You guys never cease to amaze me with your modeling ability. @santafewillie I am absolutely loving that bakery you did. Several have been posting photos the last couple days and I'm so impressed.

Not much to report here. I have the day off today and not sure what I'll be doing. Hope you all have a great day!

went up to the train show in Fredericksburg this morning. A small show with a lot of used stuff. Guys clearing out their older stuff they don't want to keep. No HO layout but a couple of the larger scale modular layouts.
I spent more time shooting the breeze with a friend than actually spent browsing.
Now, just waiting for the operators to show up for today's op session.

Greetings this great Saturday morning! I figured any day above dirt is a GREAT day!
Personally, I have had that sentiment for a log time, take care of our injured military people! What is so hard about that? They do a huge service for this country.
here is a cab ride around my outfit.
Tom, nice ride, really enjoy track level vids. Sherrel, did you check this vid out? The money shot, 51 thru 57 seconds. Tom, how big is your layout? Wow! I noticed that you don't have much (if any) back drop scenery. Were you planning on having some or stay with the way it is? I have seen several layouts with just the sky blue back drop, I kind of like that. As of yet I am still undecide if I'm going to do more than just the sky blue back drop.

Curt, thanks for the comment, and to all, thanks for the likes

Working on the retirement situation, going to be first of the year, yeah! I've been working since I was 14, (66 now.) I am ready! I'm excited/nervous at the same time. I have the usual house & property projects that I'll have more time to do, but, train room here I come....LOL

I had mentioned earlier about a hopper car I was putting together, an Accurail special run car....
IMG_20211211_045352908_HDR.jpg

There were several people bidding on this thing, I got it a while back, it was such a different car that would fit into my era, they were not going to get it. LOL
Talk about a different under frame color......
IMG_20211211_050914323.jpg

I should have taken a picture, two of the stirrup steps were broken but not detached, at about a 45 degree angle. Knowing that cement would soften the plastic, I turned the car upside down, and just touched the break in the stirrup step with the brush, (excess wiped off) of some Tamiya extra thin cement. After a few seconds I could bend the stirrup back into place.
What's with Accurail and no brake wheel? I have some Kadee brake wheels, installed one here. I used Apple Barrel Holley Branch green & Vallejo Nato Black to color the wheel. Not a perfect match, but close enough that unless you stare at it, you cant tell. I just didn't want a glaring red brake wheel showing.
I used the ACCu trucks but replaced the wheels with Reboxx code 88. Their wheels are pretty bright so I took a black felt tipped marker to color them.
Kadee scale head whisker couplers installed. (trip pins removed) and Kadee air hose assemblies for more detail.
IMG_20211211_045416040.jpg

Does anybody know about this company? It would be interested in knowing more about them. I tried an internet search but I didn't find anything, admittedly, my search skills are not that great! 🥴

EVERYBOY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I used a key fob (HD) camera to record this, I tried to use a Cannon cab, and record thru the front window. I was told I should have used a GIF, to which I replied, no thanks, I am trying to quit those anymore. Heck even if I knew how to make a GIF, still would not know how to put it in the video.
Oh well, here is a cab ride around my outfit.
Thanks for looking.

Watching your video now and really enjoying it. Very nice work!

Good Morning, all!
At 23F this morning, it's not cold enough to complain, so I mean to give the dog an extra long walk. At 1yr old, she's young and bored without us going out on our summertime train chasing adventures.

I have a sister who lives in Minneapolis whose attitude about injured servicemen, they knew what they were getting into when they joined the military. Let them pay for their own care.
Ken - Sounds like you're sister could use an attitude adjusting spanking.

Greg - I watched the Jason Jenson plastic wood video before I turned in last night. Thanks for leading us to the video. I'm going to apply some of those teachings to my next building, and some of it to the current diner build. - As a matter of fact, I'm just formulating a scratch-build in my head of this building for my downtown:
mountainpark-2.jpg

I already have the plastic clapboard, a stash of plastic Tichy window frames, and some balsa; so, I suppose I have everything to make my own kit.
That's a 1930's photo of Mountain Park, Alberta. It's now a ghost-town not real far away from where I live; 2hrs drive.
I need buildings like that to simulate early Whitecourt, as depicted in this photo:
Whitecourt_1910.jpg

That's the direction I'm taking, but in a later time, when the log stores were gone.

Sherrel - Thankyou for the high compliments. I'm glad you like my prototype photos. A couple of friends have mentioned they are saving some in their files.

Willie - Can't emphasize enough how much I enjoy your instructional posts. Thank you, for your daily goings-on.

Guess I'd better walk the dog and get on with something myself. I slept until 8:00am this morning. That's very unusual for me.

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back