Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Spent most the afternoon taking down the Christmas things and everything is boxed up awaiting going to the attic (probably next week). Earlier I cut down 2 of Chooch flexible stone walls to fit the WS Risers. I debated what to glue them with and ended up using Gorilla Glue because I was afraid the glue strips would come loose with ballasting on top of them. I clamped both sides of each face and will let them set for 24 hours as the instructions recommend. I'll take a photo tomorrow when dry.

Joe- I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience. What brand is the applicator? I watched a video several weeks ago where a Brit used 5 or 6 different applicators and did the same project for each, and for the most part it all looked great. I have a feeling that there's a learning curve associated with it just like everything else.

Gary- I use white glue for cork roadbed and then use push pins to tack it down while it dries (needed on curves) then use track nails on the track ties then ballast.

Willie- Great scenes.

Kleiner- Nice photo.

Patrick- I feel your pain. When doing home repairs and upgrades the money just seems to evaporate.

Dave LASM- Excellent job on the 3 MOW vehicles.

Hughie- Nice job on your layout.

Tom- It looks good. I haven't had much luck with doing rust streaking.

I hope everyone has a good night.

First moisture in just almost SIX months - 0.61 inches with a little of this "white" mothball stuff!
Some Thunder and Lighting was involved - scared the crap outta the pups!

hail 20-12-28.jpg

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and seasonal here in this part of Wisconsin....the light snow from over-night has melted in the sunshine, but more snow is on the way with depending on whose forecast you can believe like 2-4 or 4-7 inches of the white stuff.

Not much working on the railroad in recent days with the Christmas Holiday and everything else going on. The new refrigerator's freezer doesn't freeze very well. Like Ice cream goods do not get very hard and the refrigerate door items do not get real cool. The service guy is calling us to make an appointment. We did watch a few excellent action movies on Netflix which we recently ordered. One thing that I must do later today is work on my spell check which has given me problems for months and now the auto-correct is changing words that I enter even with them being correctly spelled. &^%$#@)(

Even with two locomotives on order I have the need to purchase another locomotive. I suddenly find that the Milwaukee Road locomotives color schemes seem to be generally boring in their basic Black and Orange. The Silver and Orange are a bit more exciting. Seems like the Milwaukee was attempting to save money in investing $$$ to do fancy paint jobs on their road motive power. I may add a road name that didn't run in Wisconsin.

Looking for a source of small to very small wooden structures for my CM&N layout. Looking at George Sellios' work he combined large, multi-level structures with those of smaller size and often single story. Wood models are fun to construct and relatively simple to complete, not including the craft man's kits.

With today's great weather I should be rail-fanning in Du Plainville instead of just being inside.

That's all for now...............

Greg

###################

Joe- I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience. What brand is the applicator? I watched a video several weeks ago where a Brit used 5 or 6 different applicators and did the same project for each, and for the most part it all looked great. I have a feeling that there's a learning curve associated with it just like everything else.

Curt: There is definitely a learning curve. I tried the Woodland Scenics Beginner applicator, which is nothing more than a glass jar with a shaker lid.
Today, I dug out the Woodland Scenics applicator, powered either by a AC/DC adapter or a 9 volt battery. This is more like it. I spent the afternoon reviewing the instructions, and am confident that it will work better. Maybe I'll try it tonight, or tomorrow morning. BTW, the cheapo method doesn't look that bad after the glue dried. just not what I anticipated.

Well good Evening to everyone. Christmas dinner has subsided. Returns are in order. Weather is great as long as you didn't get a sled for Christmas. Spent the day under the train table. Wired up all but 1 turnout (26 out of 27), came up short 1 controller. Ran a few engines through layout and turnouts and worked alright. Did find a couple of places where I need to add feeders.
Received a Kato FEF-3 for Christmas from a grandson. Anyone got some info about adding a DCC decoder in one of these?
View attachment 122400

There are tutorials online. It appears to be just slide it in place of the lightboard using a compatible Digitrax or TCS.

Merry 4th Day of Christmas! *

Santa brought lots of stuff. No MRR as until we get the house built and moved, there is no new MRR stuff allowed :) Family finally got a Nintendo Switch so we've been having Mario Kart tournaments. Kids playing various dumb games.

I have the week off and am trying to clean up my man cave, get my loading presses working, and get some rifle projects completed, as well as some home automation stuff installed, and catch up on other things. We'll see how much I get done this week.

* the 12 days of Christmas actually START on the 25th and end on Jan 5. Jan 6 is Epiphany (or Three Kings Day) and the official end of the Christmas season.

#86 the Champion 1-23-1977 at Trenton, NJ - Marty Bernar.jpg

January 23,1977 at Trenton, NJ...Amtrak #86 the Champion, from Tampa, FL pulling in to the station to discharge passengers. Photo by M. Bernard.
Not for nothing, the Winter of 1976 and 1977 was the coldest in decades. My territory at that time was Trenton to Perryville, MD, and Zoo to Thorndale. I pretty much worked 12+ hours 7 days a week during this bitter cold. Looks like a deadheading employee preparing to alight from the second motor.

RDG EMUs at Roberts Yd - PHL in 1976...probably set aside at this point.jpg

Reading EMUs stored at Roberts Yard, adjacent to the Wayne Electric car shop. Cars were awaiting disposition, after replacement GE built MUs came on line. Gerry Meyle Photo.

Hillburn Yard, Suffern NY on 12-25-2020.jpg

Hillburn Yard, Suffern, NY on 12/25/2020. Three tracks for NJT and three tracks for NS freight operation of fromer Erie - EL Main Line. Several generations of NJT power are laying over in this scene.

I've been told that this is the best place to ask the following question: For Hand Laying Track, what have you used for track bed? I have used Homasote but find the material grows and shrinks with humidity levels. Is there a better way?

Ash Pit: I use sellotex fiber board or what is also called the soundboard, then for insulation, which is nowhere near as dense as homosote, but it seems to work well in my garage which even though it's finished off it's unheated or cooled off during the summer and so the temperature changes quite a bit yet the soundboard seems to work quite well even though it's a lot more porous.

I'm hand spiking all my rail and find the soundboard works fairly well. While I'm not gluing individual ties down but rather using Central Valley tie strips along with small spikes approximately six ties the rail seems to stay in place fine and I'm not doing it really anything extra to the surface of the sound board.

I tried to attach a picture from my gallery but could not get it to post ?

Last edited:
Morning all,

Rain and 32° currently. I came in early as the roads were expected to get slick, however it isn't freezing yet. Nothing dome one the trains as it was a busy day at work and I was tired when I got home last night. Already have my weekend committed to putting a new sink and vanity along with a new medicine cabinet in the local daughter's bathroom. At least I won't need to do the paintwork, just the sheetrock work.

Then the following weekend, my son closes on his new house, which the paintwork (current landlord owner) needs to be done along with refinishing the hardwood floors. Somehow putting a whitewash thin single coat of ceiling paint and a some paint touchups hardly qualifies as "newly painted". Better to get it done before you move in. It isn't like he'll be evicted, at least his mother won't. lol

PATRICK: Wife wants to do the same to our main bath. Unfortunately, previous owners (2 or 3 back) put in a jacuzzi tub sitting right on the floor joists to make the plumbing easier. This condo used to have a Jack n Jill bath arrangement (like the children's bathroom from the Brady Bunch - loo and sink on either side, with a single tub shared between the gents and ladies side...) Previous owner converted that the main bath to have the jacuzzi and the laundry.

And yep... going to redo the toilet, vanity etc. while we're at it. This summer is the expected time frame. Maybe.
Fortunately it is a small bathroom (5'X8') but it won't be cheap and I can't do the work myself anymore. I'll have enough issues with redoing the daughter's this weekend, and then the paintwork at the boy's place. I'll have some minor sheetrock work there as well. When you take a windows out of a bathroom and put new sheetrock behind the new one piece tub\shower enclosure, you still need to tape the joints between the exposed sheetrock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back