Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
20° and partly cloudy. Got an inch of snow overnight. Wife wants me to go out and run errands with her. Might as well, it's days since I've been out of the house and I could use the exercise. If I can just find my long underwear.

Another view of the Polar Express, Pere Marquette 1225.
FB_IMG_1576622618011.jpg

Alan- I wondered how well those worked. Anything would be neater than a toothpick for detail work.

I've used a pin in an old pin vise, a toothpick, a piece of wire, and I removed the lead from a .5mm mechanical pencil and replaced it with a piece of brass wire so I could cut the end off and advance the wire when necessary. This tool is better than all of the above. I got a package of them plus a bottle of CA for under twenty bucks.

Burlington Bob's comment:
Willie
- Nice work on Wicked Wanda's. Have you ever given a photo tour of your layout? The pictures you've posted are very intriguing.

I am sure this would be a very popular series of photos if Willie would consent to share the pictures with us.

Jim: Nice Pet! I actually had one (red legged Tarantula) The thing lived 21 years. Bitten by it twice, both times of my own stupidity. While they're big and ugly, they're not typically poisonous to humans. When I got married the wife made me pass it on to my father who had it in his science classroom. Fed it crickets.

Good afternoon. Started off at 17 degrees and are now up to 37. Had to wait around for the repairman to replace the burner in out gas range that LG is finally taking responsibility for even though it is now 4 years old.

While I was waiting, I hope that I mouse proofed the engine compartment on my car. After doing a lot of research I found out that mice HATE peppermint. A number of sites verified this so I had the wife pick us so,e peppermint essential oil, mixed it with a bit of water and sprayed it around the engine compartment. Saw an experiment on YouTube where mice refused to enter a box with sunflower seeds that they were using on a daily basis. Getting tired of replacing wiring in the car.

Greg - I would recommend the Samsung phone, but not their appliances. In talking with the repairman that just repaired our range, he says that they are worse than LG appliances.

Alcomotive
- Love the photos from the museum. Wouldn't mind having a couple of those cars.

Bob -
Enjoy that cold weather. You could thank uis out here for wearing it down before sending it your way.

Beady - I am not against letting trains just run. That is one reason I enjoy running at out railroad club. At home I did build the layout for switching and do not have a long main line run so running at the club I can now pull a long train that takes about 15 minutes to complete a lap around the layout. Sometimes let a shorter train do that at home while working on other projects around the layout.

Patrick - That video you posted is one of my favorites.

Willie
- Great photos as usual.

Jim -
Enjoyed the photo of the trestle. Sweet.

Back to the photo archives.

thumbnail_20190622_122225.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Wrapped some presents today and sliced a large pork loin for schnitzel that the family has every New Years Day.

Beady- I have a calculator that a NJ RR club posted online. Neat loco photo.

Tex- The transfer track looks good.

Bob- I couldn't do that job because of the heights involved.

Patrick- Great line from your grandson.

Johnny- Nice layout shot.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Sherrel- That blows! At least SWMBO is OK.

Espee- Interesting gluing tool.

Max- It's a great feeling to pay off your mortgage. Neat bridge shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, that was a slight change of plan. Just as we were about to go out the door, MIL called from Detroit and sounded like shit. So, off to Detroit we go. While she does have a cold, this was mostly a false alarm. Still, we had to stop off on the way and get the wife some surgical masks; she has no immune system and has infusions every three weeks. Just got back; there's 6 hours I'll never recover. Wife said I can stay home and have a train day tomorrow.

Patrick - I like this tarantula. It cost 50 cents and I don't have to feed or take care of it! ;):)

Chet - thanks for the trestle comment! Nice switcher photo!

Curt - I paid off my first mortgage and know the great feeling. This will be my second pay off, if I can ever actually
sit down with the mortgage officer, to get it done. Two days now and she hasn't returned my calls.:rolleyes::(
Thanks for the photo approval!

Last edited:
Bob - I agree. I can't muster any affection for rocks. But after doing some quick research - there were 1.5 million people who liked them enough to pay $4 each to . . . whatever one would do with a rock. I run 'em over with my pickup!
I disagree; I have several rocks in the house. A couple were carved from the Crazy Horse memorial in South Dakota, one was cut from the Blarney Stone, and several came from somewhere off the earth. I'm quite attached to all of them.

Good morning everyone!

Flo - I'll have 2 eggs over medium, ham, home fries and coffee.

Tom - how was the show yesterday? Anything notable to report?

Mikey - Great news on your MIL! Good to hear hear people having surgery with favorable results!
Nice to hear your club is making progress with the restoration.

David - Happy 74th! Jeffrey's passing - duly noted!

Willie - Your right - I will be finding fasteners for some time to come. Every time I look for something else, I'll find some. I found 2 more this morning. Great looking street corner photo - the Western Auto brings back memories. I like the Buick Grand National and the short shorts!

I stayed home yesterday as mother nature served up a rather nasty day with wind, rain, 34° and later on some snow.
I had good progress on the layout. The post column is almost done and I'm anxious to finish it, as I haven't run trains for over 3 weeks. :( I had to take out a RR bridge to work on the post.
Today I think I'll stay at home, again. Work on the layout, check the Forum from time to time and search for new RR photos.

Have a great day!

JIM

0Halscy.jpg

Max: Than you for Be wish and noting Jeffrey's pass. We we're not related to my knowledge but he felt like a brother to me.

Asleep right after my last post, and up again at 4. Sigh.

A definite winter morning: 15°, clear, no wind. I can hear the furnace cranking out the BTUs. Meanwhile, the cats are looking at me, expecting to be fed; too bad, the automatic feeders are set for 6.

FB_IMG_1514262039629.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back