Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "official" temps are usually measured either downtown, where there are many heat sources to show higher, or at the airport, if you have one.

Yes, I understand where the reports are coming from and I was not asking why there is a difference as I understand the why, also. I was only commenting on the fact that there are differences and that the differences can be interesting, at least to me! We have an Airport and I'm sure this is where the report is generated, as I was a Private Pilot at one time and understand the interconnection of airports and the FAA Flight Service Stations.

Am I right, Shirley?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Everyone. It's cold here as well, at 31° and overcast. NE wind around 10 mph. Forecast has changed a bit as they are now predicting that the high today will only be 40°. Monday's high of 60° will be followed by snow on Wednesday, but back to the upper 50's by Friday, quite a change from the ten day forecast of the last few days! Around here there are two Weather Underground stations located about a mile away from me which both generally agree with my weather observations regarding temperature, wind, humidity, pressure and cloud cover. Our precipitation doesn't always agree but that can be very localized, even from that close. A third station six miles distant at a lower elevation (almost 100' lower), can have variances in all except pressure. I report what my equipment shows.
Yesterday was reserved for holiday wrap-up household tasks. Much of the decorations were taken down and returned to the attic, however the tree will remain until Epiphany on January 6.
Out in the train shed later on, I once again mainly ran trains. Just not in the mood to start any projects yet, even though there are many on the "wish-list". I made two switching runs yesterday in addition to a few through freights. I have been somewhat documenting the switching since several Coffee Shop visitors have asked me to do so, so they could get some ideas for industries and activities on their own layouts. One of yesterday's runs was a simple exchange of sixteen tankers at the ethanol facility, while the other was much more involved. It took place in my largest town of Ft Wish. Started with moving out three loaded reefers and replacing them with empties at the packing plant; pulling two empty boxcars from the Sears Distribution Center and spotting two loads; removing two empty tankers from Richland Oil and leaving two loaded ones; exchanging a reefer of beer with an empty at the Whitewater Brewery; leaving an airslide hopper load of flour and a tanker of corn oil at the bakery and pulling the corresponding empties; and exchanging empty boxcars with loads at the coffee distributor. Three other industries had no activity on this run. With the miserable weather that Mark sent to us today, I will be spending more time out there. Yep! NE winds come from Minnesota while NW winds come from Montana.

Chet - I also had to suffer through some problems with address change, even though we didn't move! That same GIS survey decided that "RR #, Box #" would no longer work and someone named our road and gave us an actual address. However our mailbox is on a different road, in a different county, over a mile away. That address is from a city over ten miles from the mailbox. This still causes problems with some idiots at our county tax office because that city isn't listed in this county! But the property has been on their tax rolls in our name for 38 years! They don't seem to comprehend that their office sent the tax statement or auto registration, so they should accept the payments instead of returning them to us! I actually have a permanent Word document in the computer that starts with "Please note that despite your incorrect assumption that this is an erroneous payment, your office is the one that sent the statement and you should have noticed that..." It goes on to state some additional facts and I have to use it about every two or three years still.
Joe - I am with you in regards to having too much in my cash position. At 17% overall, it amounts to 3 years actual expenses. While 2008 delayed my retirement by a few years, I stuck with it despite much prodding from my wife. I move her Roth IRA back and forth to keep her from complaining too much.
I was aware of your interest in fire fighting equipment and have always enjoyed the pictures that you post.
Greg - Replacing all of your windows with double-pane Low-E windows will generally pay back your initial investment within three years if you started with single-pane units to begin with. The window company that I worked at for years started making insulated windows in the late 60's and introduced Low-E glass in the late 80's. I have seen many studies regarding the savings including installing them in my own house even though the wood heat cost nothing to begin with. A/C usage in our 100°+ summers was reduced by over a third.
Jesse - Good to finally see you post again. I have been wondering about you and whether you survived the hurricanes. Nice passenger train.
Terry - Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife's health issues.

Regarding DPM structures. I have several dozen of them, including a few duplicates. I vary the paint scheme and also the viewing angle as well as extra details and location on the layout and I am the only one that knows.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning y'all. 51° with brilliant sunlight. This is in contrast to yesterday's 61° with 1.26" of additional rain. W have had so much rain this month that even our mostly sandy soil is saturated, and the swale on the East side of my house ponded. Additional rain is forecast for New years Eve. :eek:

Mark: I have a temperature sensor set up on the North side of our home, and a mercury thermometer on the front porch that generally coincides with the reading of the sensor. Rutgers U maintains a weather station some five miles away, in a County park and NOAA maintains one at the local airport, eight miles distant. There is a Weather Underground station about one mile away from me. Sometimes all of these reporting locations have identical readings while at other times the readings can be as much as 8 degrees apart. Rainfall recording results are similar.

Terry: I have been dealing with numbness in my right thumb and index finger for several years now. it's due to arthritis affecting my wrist and spine. Surgery did little to relieve the condition. I try to live with it, but it is one of many reasons why I don't get much work done on my railroad. It also affects simple things like opening a produce bag at the super market.

Garry: Safe travel!

Now that I have shared my trivial wisdom for the day, I'm going to spend some time in the train room, building, instead of just running trains.

Have a great weekend.

Boris

Willie: thank you.

Another photo from the fireground. In the foreground of course is ladder 82 which during my time before 911 dispatching, was Truck Co. 1. The structural details including downspouts, fire escape, sprinkler system drain pipe, and window AC, as well as power poles.

Dee Paper 12-27-18 - 8.jpg

Enjoy.

Boris

Jesse, this just isn't fair. I have been building my layout to accommodate the Daylight. If you will send me the 16 units, I will send you a Rivarossi ATSF 4-6-2 and 4passenger cars, a rubicks cube, and a personal business card autographed by Tommy Allsup. No questions asked...….

As appealing as this offer sounds, I mean who can resist the rubicks cube, I must decline at this time. I have see the light, so to speak, and am planning a special train for the layout now.

Good Morning gang!
Another Saturday has come, time to carry firewood, vacuum floors, play with the dog, etc. Gonna try to slip downstairs and work on some locos between laundry loads.

For all you FedEx fans (or haters)
Terry: How about a plastic hitch pin for the boss?

Greg

Greg, I like the way you think! ;)

Terry, Hope you feel better soon!

Boris, great pic, really shows that there are more to buildings than 4 walls!

Well, gotta get a moving, TTYL!

Willie - survived the hurricanes with no damage in my area, thankfully. Just dealing with a lot of rain now. I'm starting to get concerned. I saw animals going by two by two yesterday. Lol.

Waiting for some track sections to arrive from Atlas so I can get started on my N scale tabletop layout. Had to sideline the HO again. The space I had planned to use for it got taken up by office supplies for the business. But I refuse to be kept down. I'll be running trains next year for sure. It would be sooner, but I won't get what I need untithe end of January. (Ain't backorder great?). Hopefully I'll be able to share pics when I get started.

As appealing as this offer sounds, I mean who can resist the rubicks cube, I must decline at this time. I have see the light, so to speak, and am planning a special train for the layout now.
I knew after I posted that, my offer was not sweet enough. Lol. Kinda glad too, didn't really want to give up my Tommy Allsup autograph...……..And besides, I'm still quite a ways away from being concerned about anything except flextrack, turnouts and cork roadbed. But I'm getting there! Once I get the track laid, I will need a Daylight 4449, 2 GE 70 tonners, GP9, and some SP sugar beet gondolas.
Dave

Good morning, y'all. We have weather at the Jersey Shore too. 50° and wet with sporadic rain squalls . How's that for being poetic?

Believe I'm caught up with the forums.

Louis: Guess Athearn has run out of standard color schemes to do, so they are coming out with oddballs. Oddly enough, the cab appears to be done in Conrail Blue. Different if nothing else.
Willie: While I no longer have any real interest in football, I was attracted to the whining sound coming from Cleveland, concerning Art Modell's moving "HIS" team from Cleveland to Baltimore where they became the Ravens. They need to get over it. They still have a team called the Browns.
Interesting factoid, the Cleveland Browns were the second Major league professional sports team named the "Browns" to relocate to Baltimore and be renamed for a bird. the first was the St. Louis Browns who became the Baseball Orioles. Also, when counting Championships, remember Baltimore also had a Grey Cup winner, the Stallions, which filled the need between the Colts and Ravens. No other American city can claim that.

On the financial front, while I need to rebalance my Portfolio, I have no intention of selling and locking in my losses. Short term investing is a gamble, and what we are seeing is short term speculation and short selling, in an effort to make a fast buck by panicking retail investors. Over the long term, buy and hold makes more money. We saw this panic in 2008, and we should have learned from that, as it was not so long ago. My cash position is too high, considering that money market yields are still too low.

Mark: I fully agree with your comments about football, but I'm surprised that while you live in the "State of Hockey", you are interested in "Beisbol".

BTW, your local team the "Twins", was the original Washington Senators owned by Calvin Griffith. The second Washington Senators, became the Texas Rangers.

In addition to my interest in Railroads and Model Railroading, I am also somewhat of a "Fire Buff". I follow my old employer, the Chester, PA., Bureau of Fire, through the IAFF Local site, and a site that transmits real time fire dispatches from the county 9-1-1 center. Sometimes, my interests cross paths, like yesterday afternoon, when there was a small fire along the roofline of a 100+ year old riverfront industrial structure that houses a paper packaging company. The structure is located adjacent to the ROW of the Conrail Chester Industrial Track, which happens to be the line I am modeling. Someone took some photos of the fireground operation and was kind enough to upload them to the IAFF web page. The photos show a great deal of structure detail and industrial background, which can be very useful to a model railroader.

View attachment 32861View attachment 32862
View attachment 32863

Note the stone foundation, bricked up windows and doors and fencing across the old upper story freight doors of the structure as well as the roofline. Also note the tedious aftermath as the firefighters break down, and repack the water supply and attack hose lines in the aftermath of the fire.
Could this be the start of another challenging modeling project?

Boris

Say Joe: I've noticed on the older brick buildings they often add second and even third story delivery doors to them and I could never quite figure that out !?

I knew after I posted that, my offer was not sweet enough. Lol. Kinda glad too, didn't really want to give up my Tommy Allsup autograph...……..And besides, I'm still quite a ways away from being concerned about anything except flextrack, turnouts and cork roadbed. But I'm getting there! Once I get the track laid, I will need a Daylight 4449, 2 GE 70 tonners, GP9, and some SP sugar beet gondolas.
Dave

Before I can run mine, I'll need track, power, and benchwork. Oh, and a new house that is big enough for an HO layout. So not much really. LOL.

Before I can run mine, I'll need track, power, and benchwork. Oh, and a new house that is big enough for an HO layout. So not much really. LOL.

Actually, I have power and track. I mainly just need the benchwork and space to put it in. So, yeah, it may be a while before I can run it.

Good morning all,

We ended up with a light dusting of snow last nigh, wasn't much at all. We have our last family get together today, then all the decorations can come down. Usually we take them all down Christmas night after everyone has left, since its been up since Thanksgiving. I'm ready!

Say Joe: I've noticed on the older brick buildings they often add second and even third story delivery doors to them and I could never quite figure that out !?

David: Best I can figure, was that these buildings were built before freight elevators were common. If you look closely at one of these structures, you may see what looks like a steel beam sticking out over the center of the door on the uppermost floor. These beams, also found on some Walthers Cornerstone kits, were for the hand operated hoist that was used to lift machinery or merchandise from ground or wagon to the upper floors.

The advent of high definition digital photography, enables the modeler to see detail that is otherwise hidden in plain sight. My initial interest in the fireground photos was obviously the fire fighting operation, but as I saved and viewed the photos, I began to notice structural details that I had overlooked.

Boris

Good morning all,

We ended up with a light dusting of snow last nigh, wasn't much at all. We have our last family get together today, then all the decorations can come down. Usually we take them all down Christmas night after everyone has left, since its been up since Thanksgiving. I'm ready!

Mike: I hear you. That's why we generally don't decorate until mid December, as we leave the decorations up until after the New Year, and the outdoor lights active until after January 6. Then they go dark until I get around to storing them for the next time. FWIW, I grew up in a neighborhood, where half the folks celebrated orthodox Christmas, (this year January 7), so I enjoyed a dual celebration most years while growing up. This year the outdoor lights will remain active through January 7.

Boris

27 degrees this morning! :eek:
Talked to Trussrod (David) the other day -- He passed along his cold and flu to me! :mad:
Shirley is NEVER getting another flu shot! Two years in a row of being sick within 48 hours of the shot.:confused:

Talked to Trussrod (David) the other day -- He passed along his cold and flu to me! :mad:
Shirley is NEVER getting another flu shot! Two years in a row of being sick within 48 hours of the shot.:confused:

I almost got a flu shot once. Decided to skip it when the lady giving the shots had to cancel. She had the flu. :rolleyes:

Even though it is not my typical choice of roads, I picked up this SP Daylight train from a gentleman that was moving and selling off his collection. View attachment 32872View attachment 32873View attachment 32874View attachment 32875View attachment 32876View attachment 32877

Powered A and B diesels, RPO, 2 baggage, 3 done, 7 coach, 1 observation. 16 units in total. I'm almost ashamed to tell you what I paid for them. So before I do, I want to see if anyone can guess. I'll post the actual cost of the train tomorrow. I want to give everyone that wants to take a guess time to do so.

Since I've had no takers on my guessing game, I'll just spill it.

I bought this entire set for the ridiculously low price of $25.

Afternoon All,

Watching the FL/MI bowl game and will probably watch the ND game later. Only thing model related today was that I made a copy of the large kit instructions and signage page. I always keep the originals in a binder. Tomorrow I hope to finish the freebee kit and if I do I'll post some pics tomorrow. Monday MOH has a GI procedure that will tie us up for most the day.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Terry- Paying 70K (ridiculous) for a pickup is why you can't get a pay raise. True enough about Sailor and Marine language. I hope your wife feels better.

Garry- Safe travels.

Jesse- Good to see you posting again.

TruckDad- Nice acquisition.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I've found if I get the flu shot in September instead of later I don't get sick.Got it once in the beginning of December and got sick 3 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back