Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
GarryCBQ....Really like that layout, excellent work.
Geez, gonna be in the 80's here for a few days, my kinda winter weather, except for the Santa Ana winds which are what warms things up.
My small layout is ready to have the track wiring done, but a trip to the hospital earlier this week, and having a pace maker installed, is going to put that off for a few more weeks.
Still waiting on my Rivet Counter N Scale GE Tier 4 GEVo ET44C4, BNSF/Heritage 3 loco. Probably be another couple of months yet.
Trying to decided on what method I want to use for making some desert type hills for the layout. I have always used wads of newspaper and paper towel strips dipped in plaster of paris in the past, but I'm wanting to try something different this time.

From my last layout. hills.jpg

Coal mine operations are way more complex than one would think. That's the wall I've run into. Obviously I'm not going to be full prototype with my loadout tracks. There just ain't enough space for that. So I'll have to keep the dead end loadout tracks. But I'll be able to keep the coal marshalling yard so that's a plus. I don't know what I'll come up with.

Justin

Hey there, PAUL ... good to see you here in the diner! Yeah - I was shocked when I looked at the weather this morning. Yesterday at this time it was 30 - today it is 55 and headed for an 83 high. My kinda winter! Of course, everyone else has rain ... we certainly could use some of that!
My hope/prayer is that you medical procedure will go as normal and OK.

Terry - maybe you ought (is that a word?) to have a "stand alone" computer for the programming and an Apple for your other needs? Whatever you decide - Get some Velcro and stick the computer to yourself soes you don't drop it when walking.
Interesting about the screen problems - glad that it was NOT something that you did!

MARK That's the beauty of "Jeffrey's Diner" or Coffee Shop! I can complain about my mother in law - if I had a complaint!
It's a great place for me as I really don't have much to contribute to modeling, but can enjoy the "fellowship" of those who are busy - some every day! It has brought back my love of trains and even has me getting closer again to trying some modeling again!
Now, my largest hurdle will be getting use to HO size again: The large O Scale Club and the foray into the 7.5 inch gauge a couple years back really spoiled me ... it's funto ride on the train ... and the g kids love it!

I know that I cannot remember all the things here, but I read all the postings. I have to make a list so I can remember everyone without "multi quoting" entirey every post just to add a three word comment!

Howdy y'all ! 74 and cloudy- rain due at game time.

GARRY- Artist at work. Beautiful.
Wonder how many times you've pulled track and redone certain sections- one at a time????? You and Curt have shown it ain't done at one time. Trial and error rules. Or is that"MURPHY"?
Prayers and best wishes for all,
Phil

Ok not 100% complete. But here is another track plan I've come up with. With possible expansion past my marshalling yard.
06677fd92834e71d119b1c97539258b3.jpg
79ff5b3f6cf6b8e8841f0d7493cc00e7.jpg
454479742585221110ef6a0927e4c1a2.jpg

Justin

Not for nothing, Justin. That looks like a workable plan. Patience, it's coming to you now that you have a better idea of how the C&O did things.

Phil: It ain't Murphy ... he lives at Terry's ... But real railroads constantly changed too. There is always a newer, better way of doing things. It's called evolution.

Paul: Good luck with the Pacemaker procedure.

Sherrel: Wasn't that long ago, where you didn't feel well enough to actively participate in this forum, let alone consider modeling in HO. Have you considered Scale "O"? Atlas has some nice scale stuff.

Eric: I agree, should have stayed in bed myself.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
GarryCBQ....Really like that layout, excellent work.
Geez, gonna be in the 80's here for a few days, my kinda winter weather, except for the Santa Ana winds which are what warms things up.
My small layout is ready to have the track wiring done, but a trip to the hospital earlier this week, and having a pace maker installed, is going to put that off for a few more weeks.
Still waiting on my Rivet Counter N Scale GE Tier 4 GEVo ET44C4, BNSF/Heritage 3 loco. Probably be another couple of months yet.
Trying to decided on what method I want to use for making some desert type hills for the layout. I have always used wads of newspaper and paper towel strips dipped in plaster of paris in the past, but I'm wanting to try something different this time.

From my last layout. View attachment 65134

Paul...Greetings !!!...Nice to hear from you...I too should be wiring in the next week or so...No rush...I just
keep peck'in away bit by bit...And having fun at it...!!!

Garry...As always I really enjoy your images...They're all so educational for me...I learn a lot from them...:)

Jesse...That car should make a great diner...Looks to be a perfect candidate for the transformation...!!!

Hope All's Well For Everybody...Trig

JUSTIN - That looks like a great deal of railroading for a 4x8 sheet?
When you finally make it final - SOLDER those joints! You can always cut gaps later between feeders if needed.

JOE I still have a few O Scale freight cars and a couple, three locos. The Spousal Unit won't let me near the 16x28 foot dining area! (LOL) My first problem is that I drool all over everything when I look at Curt, Chet, and Garry's photos - and now even adding Mark's, Willie's and yours to the fray and thousands more on this and other forums. 2nd problem is that I realize that age, dexterity, and money will prevent me from reaching those goals. Too old to soon - Too smart too late!

Paul...Greetings !!!...Nice to hear from you...I too should be wiring in the next week or so...No rush...I just
keep peck'in away bit by bit...And having fun at it...!!!

Garry...As always I really enjoy your images...They're all so educational for me...I learn a lot from them...:)

Jesse...That car should make a great diner...Looks to be a perfect candidate for the transformation...!!!

Hope All's Well For Everybody...Trig
Thanks. The other one would have been ok too, but I think I can do so much more with the observation car.

Jesse

Ok so I feel this is a solid plan. I've researched what I would need to give my layout the feel of C&O. With the limits of my available space I don't think I can get any better. And I have a decent amount of space to add structures as needed. Some shots with my structures added in.
dcf2fa1b6600df108d965028c4ddeeda.jpg
9d1153b757cae525cd271aa2f5075286.jpg
ff0aefd14309b2291d85a1ab5fb8d43e.jpg

Justin

Sherrel, the email you sent me was a casualty of one of the computer migrations/disasters. Yes, those are the parts you would need for a Proto engine.

Good afternoon. Seems like the entire Eastern Seaboard is getting drenched with rain - perfect day for indoor activities like mrr!

Spent most of Saturday cleaning my track and locomotive wheels, while today I used DecoderPro to speed-match my locos for their respective consists. Now I need to pre-stage all the freight cars for their intended moves. Hopefully I'm on target to host the op session in late February or early March - the only factor beyond my control is the availability of enough guest operators on any one evening, which is why I always try to "pad" the guest list to cover at least one or two last-minute cancellations.

I've decided to forfeit one yard lead for expansion purposes. This will see my table turned for another loadout. As is per C&O trackage hoppers from the mainline would come to a marshalling yard. There empties were dropped and loads taken out. Then coal loads would go to a motor sorting yard in which they were then blocked into trains for their final destination. They were given tide numbers for which they were assigned to go to. Here in coal country West Virginia that means either Toledo, OH or Newport News, VA.

Justin

Good afternoon. The tournament is coming to a close only two more shifts to go. I think my right arm could be a couple of inches longer than the left right not. Terry, the couple in the photo I posted yesterday is another couple we bowl with on our Friday night league. We did fairly well. We are presently third in team, third in doubles and I managed to pull out a second place in singles. After the last shift is over we'll know where we stand.

Trying to catch up with the forum. Tried to keep up with Taptalk but was really busy.

Eric -Hope the rain lets up so you can get some more beer. I always keep some extra around just in case.

Garry - Those photos are outstanding. Those scenes are something else.appl.gif

Ken D&J
- noce photo on how you join the modules.

Terry- You seem to have the worst luck with laptops and tablets. Wassup?

Paul -
Nice photo. The scenery really look good.

Justin
- Have been looking a tthe photos and you seem to be getting close to a final track plan. All of your research is interesting also.

Think I'll head down and see it the train room is still there. If it is, it will be time to run trains for a while. Haven seen the train room in a couple of weeks.

Later.

Evening everyone. Been a nasty rainy day all day here.

Flo, how about a cup and a donut?

So, as I posted earlier, I scored an incredible deal on my "new" diner. Problem is, I won it late on Saturday and there's no postal service on Sunday. So I've had to wait an entire day and there has been no progress in getting my new observation car. Does anyone else feel this frustrated when waiting on a new purchase to arrive?

Since I'm not using the coach as a diner now, I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I'm also watching a few other cars that may end up being an actual passenger train (if I can find room on my oval for it). I have also been banned from from bidding on anything else until I get paid next week.

Didn't get any modeling done today, but got to spend some quality time with the family so it's ok. Hope everyone has a good night.

Jesse

I've officially committed to the track plan. I like it. I decided to stick with it. It allows expansion and it's as true to the prototype as I can get on a sacred sheet.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back