Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing everyone's issues with the new Windows updates and the problems I'm having with my own, I am very thankful that my wife's laptop is still running 8. I'm going to try to get a new battery for it soon and use it while I try to undo the damage Microsoft has done to my computer.

Jesse

Morn'in All...Here's A Short Progress Up-Date Video...Just a few tid-bits...But at this point unless I think of something
else ???...It's now time to start on the basic skeleton of the layout...LOL...I really hate hearing my voice...Trig :D

https://youtu.be/LTw6mhpAH0o

Good morning everyone. 42 and drizzling, hitting 58 later today. Time for COFFEE!!! And a couple of doughnuts to dunk in it!!

Trig - your layout is really taking shape - thanks for posting the video.
Curt - I like your flyover video. Anytime I get to see layouts on this forum it inspires me and gives me ideas for my own.
Ken - Nice video, too.

Nothing to report from the train room - started feeling cruddy at work yesterday afternoon, so just came home, ate dinner, drank tea, and didn't even feel like going down to the train room. Took some naturopathic remedies, and even put Vicks VapoRub on the soles of my feet and put socks on. Went to bed early - feel great this morning. There's been so much of this crap going around - we've got several sick here at work, so that's probably where I'm picking it up from. Hope to get back to the layout this weekend - lots to do!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Gang. 50° and cloudy this morning in beautiful North Central Texas. It won't get to 65° like yesterday, but I'll still take the 60° that's forecast. Uneventful trip to the grocery/beer store yesterday, I went later than normal and it was more crowded. Whole different genre of customers as well. Seemed like a walk-in advertisement for Lululemon pants...of all sizes. I did finally get some spinach planted in the garden, hopefully today I get the lettuce in.
Trainwise - big news. I posted a few times last year about placing a pre-order with ScaleTrains.com for four ATSF SD40-2's, that were originally scheduled for June then were delayed until November and then December and then again til "early 2018". Received notification on Wednesday that they had arrived in TN and were ready to ship. No monetary problem with the delays since I didn't have to pay anything until they were ready to ship, just frustration regarding the delays. I really have no need for any additional motive power but...I'll be able to hire additional engineers and conductors. They are their "Rivet Counter" line and they come "DC ready".;) I'll report back when they arrive and I can test-run and photograph them.

Trig - Most of what I have gotten from Tichy through my LHS's is signs. RR crossing, Stop signs, rr Whistle signs, traffic signs etc. I'll be interested in reading what you post regarding their doors and windows. OK, now on to cardstock structures. I posted this picture last spring of a cardstock building that I assembled, and then enhanced by gluing appropriate sized styrene strips on the door and window frames to give it a more 3D effect. This is just an example of what can be done.
03-12-17 002.001.JPG

Garry - I have known many fine Baptists over the years. My wife's nephew by marriage is a Baptist preacher, a real "fire and brimstone" type. He gave the eulogy at my mother in law's funeral and said only five words about her. The rest of the fifteen minutes were directed at the congregation advising them to "find Jesus". No one was expecting this! Interestingly enough, shortly after this when his own father in law passed away, he was not allowed to eulogize. He tolerates me and several other family members having a drink at family affairs though.
Even though I don't run DCC, I am pleased to hear of the response from NCE regarding your decoders.
Jesse - If you download printable structures from the internet, they usually come with instructions on how to change scales. In the case of HO specific structures, you just set the print parameter to "No Scaling" and they come out correctly.
Greg - On all versions of Excel that I have used, there's a counter clockwise arrow in the "Standard Toolbar" that reverses stuff, even consecutive mis-entries. Since I don't use Excel everyday like I did when working, I do have to stop and think about certain functions sometimes. There's probably some kind of "Ctrl+" way of reversing, but I never learned it.
Curt - Nice "flyover" video of the layout. It reminds me just how sparse my "plywood plains" still is.
Justin - A few words on wood kits: TAKE YOUR TIME. They are generally very good kits, but never rush through them. Who made it or what kit is it? I might be able to give some manufacturer specific tips on it since I have made at least three or four dozen of them from different manufacturers.
Joe - That must have been one heck of an uncomfortable feeling the first few times that you used that turntable.
Mark - Sad to hear of your troubles with Bachmann products. It is no way to run a business, but at least they are somewhat responsive.
Eric - Good ;uck moving forward.

I have read a few posts regarding folks feeling ill with flu symptoms. There's an absolute flu epidemic here in Texas this year, regardless of whether or not persons got a flu shot, it's affecting everyone equally. I do not get flu shots, and I haven't gotten the flu in all of my 66 years. I do consider myself lucky or maybe "chosen". I am not an "anti-vaxer", except where it applies to the flu shots. I believe that some "germ transmission" is necessary to build up immunities in the body. That's just me. Nonetheless, everybody be careful when in public.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. 22° and sunny. Happy Friday!

Going back to the late 80s, when I bought my first PC, and Windows was first being developed, Microsoft's operating system has been quirky. The latest version, 10, is Microsoft's attempt to become like Apple, and develop an operating system that is totally proprietary. Even if you have updates turned off, Windows is continuously pinging to install the updates irrespective of the end user's desires. After all, they claim ownership of the operating system, and insist they , not the end user, have the right to make changes. The older your computer, the more likely that a Windows update will cause damage and loss of older programs and data.

My older Dell, which I envision as being part of my DCC control system, when I get that far, was idled for a long time. After I reconnected it to power and WIFI, it updated and crashed. Windows backup really doesn't work any more, They have a application, called "Recovery", which formats your hard drive, and reinstalls a "clean" up to date version of Windows 10. There is a setting to preserve data, which it will do for files and photos, but it will purge all programs not currently in favor at Microsoft. That's how I lost my MS Office. The only advantage is that the installation purged a lot of the imbedded Dell crap, which improved that computers speed.

The most disturbing aspect of Windows 10, is that Microsoft searches your computer constantly, to insure you are not using contraband or unapproved software. I stopped renewing Office 360, and replaced it with Word Perfect Office. While WPO works as intended, I cannot designate any of the programs as a default program, so I have to open WP or Quatro pro, to view downloaded CSV files, for instance. Your preferences can still be set, provided your preferences meet Microsoft's approval. The only thing that prevents Microsoft from becoming totally proprietary, is the threat of Anti-trust action.

Somewhat as a sidebar, I'm intending on spending some time revising the trackage on one corner of my layout this weekend. T need to add a third track, ostensibly one that enters a building, across the street from the industrial complex. the real reason is to provide head room, for switching other sidings off the Industrial track. Then, I can start building some industrial structures from Cornerstone kits.

Landlith Coal Tower and Enginehouse Building.png

Old coal tower and Inspection pit building at Wilmington. Jersey wall is where #13 track used to be.

Willie...Great Little Building and Thanks for the run down on the basics you used...I'm supposed to get the
'Tichy' stuff on Saturday...The one thing I'm really gon'a try and do is post a Good macro image of the parts
and maybe 'Dry-Set' one in Foam Board and shoot that from different angles as well...Nearly every image I've
seen of those type parts (Tichy & Others) are just plain lousy shots ???...I think I can do a little better...Trig

Good morning. 26 degrees with icy roads again to start off the day.

Eric - Happy that you are making progress with your house cleaning. Must have smalled a bit ripe after such a long time away. Hope you can get your trains running again soon.

Ken D&J
- The modules are really looking good. Nice video. With your expertise, getting the signals working shouldn't be a problem. At the club in Livingston, we really have to pay attention to them as some tracks cross other in hidden areas and on branches. I haven't seen a wreck yet, but one time we did come withing about 8 inches of a head on. My fault as I wasn't paying enough attention.

Jesse - That sure is one tiny VW. I had a decent collection of N scale vehicles before I moved to HO scale. Got a pretty penny for them when I was selling off all of the N scale goodies.

Curt - Enjoyed Bills video of your layout. Shows all of the improvement that you have made recently. Saw the cab ride video he took also, again showing all of the updates. You should post that video. I was going to but didn't want to step on your toes.

Trig - Seems that you are off to a good start. Having smooth trackwork is so very important. That is what drove Justin crazy with his old layout.

Willie
- Nice building. I have a number of Tichy items and I am happy with all of them. Excellent products. I really like their road signs as they help bring character to a layout. I have a number of their freight cars that I picked up years ago and custom painted. Love the detail. In fact I found a couple of wood sheathed box cars that I never got a chance to build. Don't know what I'm going to do with them.

Joe - I really enjoy the input you can give to photos as you have first hand experience with the areas in many cases. Nice coal tower photo.

Here's a rail picture for today. This one is for Justin.

arrivalyard.jpg

Later

Willie - Thanks. When I get a better printer I'll give that a try. That is a nice building. Congratulations on getting closer to receiving your new motive power. I can't see why he wasn't allowed to perform any more eulogies. You mean he did it wrong? Lol

Chet - Yes sir, it is. I can also believe you made a good return when you sold it all off. My wife saw it and said "That's it? How much did you pay for that? Wait. I don't want to know.". It is ridiculous what some of these vehicles cost.

Jesse

Good morning. 26 degrees with icy roads again to start off the day.

Eric - Happy that you are making progress with your house cleaning. Must have smalled a bit ripe after such a long time away. Hope you can get your trains running again soon.

Ken D&J
- The modules are really looking good. Nice video. With your expertise, getting the signals working shouldn't be a problem. At the club in Livingston, we really have to pay attention to them as some tracks cross other in hidden areas and on branches. I haven't seen a wreck yet, but one time we did come withing about 8 inches of a head on. My fault as I wasn't paying enough attention.

Jesse - That sure is one tiny VW. I had a decent collection of N scale vehicles before I moved to HO scale. Got a pretty penny for them when I was selling off all of the N scale goodies.

Curt - Enjoyed Bills video of your layout. Shows all of the improvement that you have made recently. Saw the cab ride video he took also, again showing all of the updates. You should post that video. I was going to but didn't want to step on your toes.

Trig - Seems that you are off to a good start. Having smooth trackwork is so very important. That is what drove Justin crazy with his old layout.

Willie
- Nice building. I have a number of Tichy items and I am happy with all of them. Excellent products. I really like their road signs as they help bring character to a layout. I have a number of their freight cars that I picked up years ago and custom painted. Love the detail. In fact I found a couple of wood sheathed box cars that I never got a chance to build. Don't know what I'm going to do with them.

Joe - I really enjoy the input you can give to photos as you have first hand experience with the areas in many cases. Nice coal tower photo.

Here's a rail picture for today. This one is for Justin.

View attachment 65105

Later
Oooooo.....B&O trackage! There's a photo opportunity around Parkersburg,WV of an old B&O signal that would definitely indicate a crossover judging by the direction it's facing.....it is facing looking across the road. I'll have to get a pic of it the next time I get sent up there.

Justin

Good morning ...

Mark .... I have been running two Bachmann 4-8-2's from several years with no problems. I would guess a 4-6-2 would have similar results.

Trig ... Looks iike you are doing well beginning your layout.

Chet .... Nice CSX photo.

Joe ... Good photo. Coal towers used to be everywhere.

Willie .... I like your building.

I am continuing to add trees and details to my 1900 era scene. .....

25031182457_afc4a8cbf7_b.jpg

39902841071_1fdda8bbcc_b.jpg

39003913355_725f6e7bb3_b.jpg

Good morning America, how are ya? I'm finally starting to feel better but far from being 100%. My wife and I both had a visit to the doctor and it's a good thing as this is by far the worst cold either of us has had in years. Add getting older to the mix and it really takes a toll. Sure am glad I quit smoking over 25 years ago!

Looks like this joint is really hopping! There is a lot happening with the members and most everything is positive. All the talk of work and planning on layouts has me wanting to build a small switching layout that can be built as modules that can be taken apart for a move and also be incorporated as a part of a larger layout in the future. We'll see! Everyone take care and stay safe!

Morning Railfans: 37 as we speak - 67 high predicted with (once again) a clear blue sky and "dry conditions will continue"!
It did cloud up yesterday afternoon with giant "puffy" clouds with a dark grey base; I actually thought we were going to get wet, sigh, nothing at all.

Garry your moving right along - looks great!

Mark - nice detail report on the geared loco. Wow, thats a ringer! Not kosher at all!

KEN D&J - I have to really "bug you" this time! Your work looks very good on the modules!
I have to beg you for information on the joining of the modules and the sections of track that you use to connect them? Is there a way that you can photo - very close up - and either post here or email, or message me about it?

TRIG - You are moving right along .. There is nothing wrong with your voice .. you should hear me sing! As Chet said ... That is some very smooth looking track. It does not look like sections at all!

Justin - The only info I have on this photos is that it is an arrival yard. No location.
I tried tracking down a location for it too. The signals are old B&O style. Of course CSX did away with all the old style signals on active rail lines. I couldn't find a location either.

Justin

Jesse -- I meant to add you into the fray ... Your wife's comment about, "is that all it is, and it was how much?" - is coming from a woman who will pay hungreds, maybe even thousands, for a pair of diamond ear studs and then cover them up with her hair! LOL

Jesse -- I meant to add you into the fray ... Your wife's comment about, "is that all it is, and it was how much?" - is coming from a woman who will pay hungreds, maybe even thousands, for a pair of diamond ear studs and then cover them up with her hair! LOL
Luckily, she's not one of THOSE. Lol. She's way more budget minded than that. Which is good. Because I'm the type who will pay $5 more for an item at one place to avoid driving to multiple stores on opposite sides of town. I call it my "convenience factor".

Jesse

Luckily, she's not one of THOSE. Lol. She's way more budget minded than that. Which is good. Because I'm the type who will pay $5 more for an item at one place to avoid driving to multiple stores on opposite sides of town. I call it my "convenience factor".

Jesse

I'm with you on that! Especially with the cost of fuel and traffic out here!

I am with both of you. To start off with, I avoid going to town if at all possible. I do have to go n on Friday for bowling league, but that is at night. Not too much traffic then. If I can get my wife to pick up what I need, I'll wait until she makes her Saturday trek for groceries and she'll get what I need. Went to town last Sunday to get a new pair of shoes and whined all the way in and out of town. Too flipping many people. Where did they all come from???

Garry -
Excellent job on the addition. Outstanding photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back