Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Another cool day here. Did some chores earlier then I attached the wall corners and painted them. After that I put together the 4 walls and after the glue dried I repainted the glue seams. After that I cut out the 2 floors and test fit the interlocking machine. Tomorrow I plan on gluing down wood planks on both floors and stain them. I know it won't be very visible, but I will know it's there.

Thank you to Louis, Trig, Phil, Jesse, Ken, Willie, Chet and anyone I might of missed.

Jesse- Even better, it's a Pennsy car!;)

Ken- Bill never mentioned special effects. I believe what we see is the tunnel portal "soot" seen through glare, but you're right it does look like brake smoke.

Justin- Something you can do to have a C&O layout without a specific track plan is C&O equipment (you have), C&O style buildings and details specific to the C&O (like you posted the other day). Later you can put in C&O specific signals. Just some ideas.

Mark- Welcome.

View attachment 65098

Part 2 is a flyover (walk around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9_WzynEJg

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thank you. Probably won't stay one for long, just until I figure out a good made up line to fit the idea I have for it. Lol

Jesse

Come to think of it.....all of the books I received have diagrams of key structures in locations discussed. I think this might be a viable way to get my structures.

Justin

Trig - I hope you get your stuff sooner than the forecasted date. If you're like me, waiting isn't your strong suit.

Sherrel - since I model my buildings out of cardboard, this is what I do. Drives my wife nuts. I don't have a dedicated work space for it so I usually end up with little piles of dissected cereal boxes and whatever else all over the place. Mostly on the kitchen table. Downside to no space. But, I just tell her "Think of the money I would be spending otherwise". Works every time.

Jesse

Come to think of it.....all of the books I received have diagrams of key structures in locations discussed. I think this might be a viable way to get my structures.

Justin
And you'll have more money leftover for other goodies. And saving money will please the wife, which will make future expansion easier to negotiate.

Jesse

LOL...Jesse...You got that right...I'm not real big on the waiting as well...9 Days is a bit much...I've got one of
their stores close by and it's handy for little bits of stuff...But I've never ordered from them On-Line...Live & Learn
I guess...Wally World would drop it on my door step in 3 days max...Oh & Excellent negotiation tactics...!!!

Justin...Those 'Historical' books you've got are perfect and the images & diagrams must be a fantastic reference...

Trig

Good evening. 26° and clear.

David: The turntable was old, and sometimes lining the rails was difficult because the ends were battered. To further compound the problem, the lights at the end of the table were often burnt out. When the locomotive wheels made the transition from the rail to the turntable, there was often a sensation of lateral movement. So, as a new Hostler, not wanting to screw up, I would excessively worry about staying on the rails.

Chet: By 1967, the roundhouse was closed. The Crew Dispatcher, and Road Foreman of Engines had their offices in a partition where the old machine shop was. Otherwise, the buildings were empty and unused. The open tracks circling the turntable, between the two roundhouse sections were in sad shape, but still used for storage of unused locomotives,

Mark D: Welcome to the coffee shop. We do occasionally talk about railroads, both real and model. And that is kosher! :rolleyes:

Justin:
Nice set of books.

Curt: Enjoying the videos.

Okay, I'm back, after yet another laptop purchase. My old Macbook Pro has been relegated to semi-retirement, and the really nice, not-waterproof Dell laptop has been salvaged for parts. The new one is a Lenovo Yoga 720. We'll see how long this one lasts before some disaster happens...
BTW, Windows Update has already been turned off permanently.

Howdy ....

Curt ... your video is excellent. Great layout .

Greg ... The quickest way to get your answer is ask Google "Excel undo function".... You should see a link to support with Microsoft Office. I think you will see an answer which will help.

Justin ... It sounds like your research is helping you with planning. Good.

Terry ... I hope the new computer works well for you.

Any day you're "Vertical and Ventilating" is a good day. But today was even better. Watched CURT'S slide show , saw GP pulling a passenger consist with dome observation car with a trailing 'E' unit in 'CLINCHFIELD' colors and to make day complete Oncologist said I'm o.k.,come back in four months.
Hope y'all had or are having as great a day as me .
Prayers and Blessings to all,
Phil

Okay, I'm back, after yet another laptop purchase. My old Macbook Pro has been relegated to semi-retirement, and the really nice, not-waterproof Dell laptop has been salvaged for parts. The new one is a Lenovo Yoga 720. We'll see how long this one lasts before some disaster happens...
BTW, Windows Update has already been turned off permanently.

I found out why that KB2267602 update wasn't appearing in the list of Windows Updates. It is to do with anti-virus definitions and only the definitions get updated, the KB number stays the same. That particular KB only appears in Windows Defender. It must have been having problems installing the particular update at the time, which I'm assuming was causing the "troubles". There has been another virus def update since, which must have gone OK, because it's def number is now the current one.

Good morning. It's 26 and mostly dark.
Ray, I turned off updates on this computer because it was trying to download and install the next version of Windows 10, even after I told it not to. This particular update removed most of the commonly used apps from my sister-in-law's computer, such as weather and mail, and would not allow them to be reinstalled. I spent several hours of quality time getting that update removed from her computer, and when it was removed, it left her computer in such a mess it was barely usable. She did have her apps back, but at the cost of almost everything she had on her computer, as far as any extra apps, programs, and files. The Windows backup program was essentially useless, and we had to manually reinstall and configure everything.

What is this version called? The Crap all over you version. What are they trying to do to us?
This is the new creator's update. They keep rushing these operating systems to market, and let the end user be the beta tester.
I do know if the new Apple laptops weren't $1500 for the cheap one, and essentially sealed, unrepairable-unmodifiable units, I would have gotten another one of those.

Good morning y'all.

Flo, coffee, lots of coffee please. Perhaps some bacon, eggs, and toast as well.

Currently 34, headed for a high of 57 and should be clear all day. Only working a half day today and that makes me happy. Got busy last night and didn't get to post, but the VW I bought off eBay last weekend arrived. Looks to be in very good condition. But it also looks like a plastic car so I will have to do some work on it to make it believable. Y'all have a nice day.
b7fbe1bfdd8c180b5a458256537df480.jpg
9117842bc5ffc648b2e7e68bea5326e4.jpg

Jesse

Terry - Good luck with the new computer.

Toot - It's how they keep you coming back. Apple is overpriced and difficult/impossible to upgrade, and Microsoft is cheaper, but junk. Those are your only 2 viable options. So if you want a computer you are forced to choose the lesser evil. They only care about your money, not whether or not you can actually use their products.

Jesse

Finally, some news on my Bachmann Climax that was sent to Bachmann for repairs on November 1st, 2017. I sent them a three truck Climax. When I originally purchased my Climax back in 2010, I bought a two truck. That developed a drive problem. They replaced it with a three truck. The three truck lasted a year or so and developed a drive problem and was returned for repair. This was returned and new three truck was exchanged for the old. That gets us to this past November 1st when I sent it in for drive problems, again. I sent two emails asking for it's disposition: one on 12/31/2017 and again on 1/9/2018 and received no answers! Finally, yesterday, 1/25/2018 I called their service department Toll Free Number. I was on hold for 10 minutes while my Climax's disposition was checked on. The service representative came back on the phone and told me that they would like to send me a new Two Truck Climax! If/When this one fails, it is going to sit in my Roundhouse and will not be returned. All of the Climaxes I have owned have done very, very light service. From my perspective, this is a locomotive that should never have been offered to the modeling public!!

Because of the above, I was hesitant to purchase another Bachmann Steam locomotive! However, I did and am working on a Bachmann Light pacific as we speak! I am a glutton for punishment!

Finally, some news on my Bachmann Climax that was sent to Bachmann for repairs on November 1st, 2017. I sent them a three truck Climax. When I originally purchased my Climax back in 2010, I bought a two truck. That developed a drive problem. They replaced it with a three truck. The three truck lasted a year or so and developed a drive problem and was returned for repair. This was returned and new three truck was exchanged for the old. That gets us to this past November 1st when I sent it in for drive problems, again. I sent two emails asking for it's disposition: one on 12/31/2017 and again on 1/9/2018 and received no answers! Finally, yesterday, 1/25/2018 I called their service department Toll Free Number. I was on hold for 10 minutes while my Climax's disposition was checked on. The service representative came back on the phone and told me that they would like to send me a new Two Truck Climax! If/When this one fails, it is going to sit in my Roundhouse and will not be returned. All of the Climaxes I have owned have done very, very light service. From my perspective, this is a locomotive that should never have been offered to the modeling public!!

Because of the above, I was hesitant to purchase another Bachmann Steam locomotive! However, I did and am working on a Bachmann Light pacific as we speak! I am a glutton for punishment!
Mark, Bachmann's geared locomotives look great, and when they run, they run great. When they run.
The other, non-geared steam seems to be better, as far as reliability. It's anywhere from "good" to "great". Their diseasels tend to run well, and are okay in the looks department, but detailing is usually pretty sparse.

This is the new creator's update. They keep rushing these operating systems to market, and let the end user be the beta tester.
I do know if the new Apple laptops weren't $1500 for the cheap one, and essentially sealed, unrepairable-unmodifiable units, I would have gotten another one of those.

Looks like I was a lucky recipient on the 8th of December, although in the updates, it being the latest one, it's called the Features Update version 1709. On looking into it, it's called the Fall Creators Update. Obviously something in there to trip you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back