Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Willie...I've considered the 'Printed' route and might use some along the way...But as I've really thought
about it...With my congested little layout I'm only gon'a have 5(?) buildings of any consequence...If the Egyptians
can build the Pyramids...I can build 5 buildings...LOL...He said with great confidence !!!...Perimeter Paint is drying...
After that's done this mornings goal is to get those piers finished...Things are progressing...

Also...As we discussed before...I just couldn't stand not having any of the 'Tichy' stuff in hand any longer...So I've
got a few Doors & Windows on the way just to play with...Get a better feel for what they really are...Hands On...:D

Trig

...Oh & I Opened A YouTube Account...Maybe a video up-date in the future...???

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 35 degrees with a winter weather advisory out for the next couple of days. The weather radar shows snow coming in from the west.

Jesse - Good buy on the diner. Enjoy and post a photo when you get it done. Cardstock building were not that uncommon years ago. Put this cardboard kit together areond 25 years ago.

20180101_124130.jpg Can't remember who made it.

Phil, Willie, Curt and others who commented on the video. That is one heck of a layout. Made a slight detour to Greeley a few years ago on the way to Denver and it was well worth it to see the layout in person. I have seen a number of videos taken at the museum on YouTube, but this is the first cab ride video that I have seen of it. That layout is incredible. 40 minutes is a bit long, but that is a rather large layout.

Curt - Enjoyed Bills slide show. I also really liked your cab ride video you posted a while back.

Mark - It's just fine to discuss model railroading here. We do it al the time.

Louis - Nice to have you back. You had mentioned having to do a bit of remodeling in the new house. How is that going?

Joe - Interesting photo of the roundhouse and turntable. Looks a bit neglected.

Justin - Nice to see you reading and investigating the railroad. Like the track plan also. Researching can make a lot of difference if you are modeling a prototype. With my layout, freelancing gave me a bit of modelers license to work with, but modeling the area right where I live in the period I grew up, it wasn't too difficult. Some of the industries are real on the layout, or some that could have been if there was a railroad to service them.

Johnny - The forun recently changed it's format for posting photos and many that I have posted before will no longer upload because of the size. Most of the photos I post were taken on my phone. When I got my new phone I had to experiment to get the photo size to get withing the parameters set in the forum. Here's a link to a recent post about Photo Image Hosting Sites that may help you. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?40774-Photo-Image-Hosting-Site

Here's a rail photo for today.

train tracks wallpapers (5).jpg

Later

Good morning everybody ....

Baptists .... When we moved to Kentucky from Michigan, we quickly got to know some Baptists. In general, individuals who are Baptists are good people. I recall asking for directions once, and the answer was (Southern accent) " Go to the third Baptist church past where the red barn used to be, and turn right." ... The county was dry when we got here, but that changed. At the time I was the treasurer of a group of citizens promoting economic growth of the county. Ihey got an end to county prohibition on the ballot, and voters decided too make it a "wet" county. My baptist friends let me know how they felt about that. (It's too long a story to say more.) .... Of course there are plenty of joke going around about Baptists and drinking.

Mark .... Great to see you here in the Coffee Shop. . Please keep us informed about your progress kit bashing the NP Pacific. I just looked at your photo in your thread of the NP 2-8-2, and I commented there. By the way, Karl might lecture about NCE decoders being better than Digitrax.

I just received five NCE decoders from NCE. I took advantage of their replacement program which Karl told me about. Send them a decoder of any manufacturer with $10.00, and they will send you a new NCE decoder. I sent 5 defective decoders with $50.00 plus $3.00 shipping and handling. I think 5 new NCE decoders for only $53.00 is a good deal.

Eric .... I still think of the ordeal you went through. Glad you were able to beat cancer so you can be with us. I hope you can get your layout operational soon. One of my model railroad friends here has been battling cancer for several months. After, major surgery and chemo, it looks like he is winning the battle, too.

I'm continuing with my 1900 era scene and now I am adding trees and other details.

People in this area are still shocked by Tuesday's school shooting. A lot of sadness.

According to research. The New River mine I have is considered a small coal operation. However I can model it as it is close to what I have. The books I have are amazing! I'm digging through them like they are going out of style!
7b865e4aa67d1c6888814b621f5f71b0.jpg

Justin

Last edited by a moderator:
Willie - Thank you. I like the idea of making up histories for the industries in the layout. I am also a bit of a history buff and love hearing the story of an old interesting building or whatnot. I like to know why things got built, even if they no longer serve their original purpose.

I have considered the freebie printable cardstock route as well, but I need to a) get a better printer that I can actually find ink for, and b) learn how to change the print scale to make the buildings the correct size.

Thank you for sharing your Baptist preacher story. I can see how that would have been considered scandalous and how your family was "leading the parade on the highway to hell". Lol

Eric - sorry to bear about your troubles with setting up again. I hope things work out well for you. Would love to see pictures of it when it's all back together.

Mark - I see we have a pot stirrer among us now. Lol. We don't need any trouble makes here. That's what got us kicked out of the last diner. [emoji1]

Johnny - good luck with your photo.

Justin - sounds like you'll be building soon. Congrats on getting closer on your layout.

Trig - I admire dedication. I'm also glad that you are basing your plan on the pyramid builders and not the Myans. We all remember how that turned out, right?

Chet - thank you. I will definitely share progress. I also may "borrow" Ed's Market as inspiration for my general store.

Garry - seems I opened the mythical "woodwork". Lol. Seems everyone has a Baptist preacher story now. Which I don't mind. If I see a particularly good one I may use it as inspiration for my made up rivalry with the local barkeep.

I think I hit all the high points. If I missed anyone I will try to catch you with the next post. Have a great day y'all.

Jesse

Morning Rail Benders:
Starting the day at 32 degrees going only to 61 - quite a change from yesterdays 77 high. A few very ,very high "whispy" clouds ... I guess the Chemtrail Boys (LOL) are busy again! Speaking of which - I posted the photo that Ken in VA provided and, just as I thought, immediately had another 100 posts over it!

MARK -- Good to see you - Yes, sometimes we speak railroading here along with just having fun! Isn't that the name of the game? Someone once said: "Model Railroading is Fun!"

Jesse Like the car you found better than the first one! Good job!

Willie - I think that my Aunt (passed at 103) was a member of your neighbor's church. She was a real pistol ... and she and my Mom swore that I had "gone over to the dark side" when I married my present lady - a Catholic girl with three young pre teen daughters. Hard to believe that we are sneaking up on the 30 mark in two more years. There were a few times - LOL!

Just too many posts to comment on each and all - so please forgive me - and just keep it up! (WAIT!) Don't say that to an old man!

Sherrel - Thank you. I like it too. I'll like it much better when I have it in hand. Lol. I told the other guy to let me know if he found the one he lost and I'd still buy it if I had the money at that time. Now all I have to do is figure out the story behind the diner. Lol.

Jesse

You all got me inspired to return to my layout. I can't find my rope lights to light the underside of the table!! Arrggghhh.
But at least I got the carpet shampooed under it so when I find the lights I won't be laying in cat pee to rehang them.
another arrgggghhhh..... and it's not even talk like a pirate day either.

You all got me inspired to return to my layout. I can't find my rope lights to light the underside of the table!! Arrggghhh.
But at least I got the carpet shampooed under it so when I find the lights I won't be laying in cat pee to rehang them.
another arrgggghhhh..... and it's not even talk like a pirate day either.
Glad to be a motivational inspiration for you. Good luck finding your rope lights. Non cat pee carpet is always the best. Lol. And I think we should be allowed to talk like a pirate any time we want.

Jesse

So, according to the tracking system, my Beetle should be delivered today. I was fortunate enough to be working close enough to home today that I took lunch at home. My mail, which is usually promptly delivered between 12:30 and 1:30, wasn't today. Looks like I will have to wait until I get home tonight to see my new addition to the railroad. Has anyone else ever noticed that the mail is never an time when you really want it to be?

Jesse

So, according to the tracking system, my Beetle should be delivered today. I was fortunate enough to be working close enough to home today that I took lunch at home. My mail, which is usually promptly delivered between 12:30 and 1:30, wasn't today. Looks like I will have to wait until I get home tonight to see my new addition to the railroad. Has anyone else ever noticed that the mail is never an time when you really want it to be?

Jesse

You should have been around when Chet and I were wondering where the rock face mold was when he sent it.
It got lost somewhere on Colorado for about 2 weeks.

You should have been around when Chet and I were wondering where the rock face mold was when he sent it.
It got lost somewhere on Colorado for about 2 weeks.
Wow. The only thing I have that relates to that is I was on vacation once and called a buddy of mine to brag about the scenery. I think I was on the gulf coast of Florida, maybe the Atlantic, don't remember now. Didn't get him either way. After we got home, about a week later, I get a call from him. He said he had just missed a call from me and wanted to know what was up. I asked him if he was sure about that. He was. Sent me a screenshot of the missed call log. Now what I ask is this, where did that call go for a week?

Jesse

Good Afternoon everyone....The Mrs. is in Chicago having fun with our new niece (married our nephew). Tomorrow clean up the mess I made.

Brain freeze...I was doing our taxes and itemizing our medical expense and I Forgot how to use the Undo Function on an Excel worksheet!!! Can anyone help???

Saturday morning I promised myself to do some layout work.I figured out that rather than replace a section of a spur track in a hard to reach area and not able to see the rail to cut and fit, I'll just replace the entire section and aviod the unnecessary cutting.That's all for now.

Greg

Trig - I admire dedication. I'm also glad that you are basing your plan on the pyramid builders and not the Myans. We all remember how that turned out, right?

Jesse

Jesse...You must have had your Clairvoyance in high gear this morning...'Mayans' (?)...There is an 'Altar' of unknown origin that's amongst the
'Blue Rock Monuments' in 'Blue Stone Park'...The 'Historical' and possible 'Ceremonial Nature' of the 'Monuments' is a part of the Language in the
'Deeds & Land Grants' for the 'Use, Preservation & Protection' of 'Blue Stone Valley' by the 'Blackstone Family' as drawn up in the late 1840's...

Hope to see that 'Car/Diner' later on...:D...Trig

Jesse...You must have had your Clairvoyance in high gear this morning...'Mayans' (?)...There is an 'Altar' of unknown origin that's amongst the
'Blue Rock Monuments' in 'Blue Stone Park'...The 'Historical' and possible 'Ceremonial Nature' of the 'Monuments' is a part of the Language in the
'Deeds & Land Grants' for the 'Use, Preservation & Protection' of 'Blue Stone Valley' by the 'Blackstone Family' as drawn up in the late 1840's...

Hope to see that 'Car/Diner' later on...:D...Trig

I don't know about the clairvoyance. I was mainly going for the calendar that they didn't finish prompting yet another end of the world scare a few years back. At least the pyramid builders finished their task. Lol. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Jesse

Afternoon All,

Another cool day here. Did some chores earlier then I attached the wall corners and painted them. After that I put together the 4 walls and after the glue dried I repainted the glue seams. After that I cut out the 2 floors and test fit the interlocking machine. Tomorrow I plan on gluing down wood planks on both floors and stain them. I know it won't be very visible, but I will know it's there.

Thank you to Louis, Trig, Phil, Jesse, Ken, Willie, Chet and anyone I might of missed.

Jesse- Even better, it's a Pennsy car!;)

Ken- Bill never mentioned special effects. I believe what we see is the tunnel portal "soot" seen through glare, but you're right it does look like brake smoke.

Justin- Something you can do to have a C&O layout without a specific track plan is C&O equipment (you have), C&O style buildings and details specific to the C&O (like you posted the other day). Later you can put in C&O specific signals. Just some ideas.

Mark- Welcome.

20180125_153848.jpg

Part 2 is a flyover (walk around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9_WzynEJg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Another cool day here. Did some chores earlier then I attached the wall corners and painted them. After that I put together the 4 walls and after the glue dried I repainted the glue seams. After that I cut out the 2 floors and test fit the interlocking machine. Tomorrow I plan on gluing down wood planks on both floors and stain them. I know it won't be very visible, but I will know it's there.

Thank you to Louis, Trig, Phil, Jesse, Ken, Willie, Chet and anyone I might of missed.

Jesse- Even better, it's a Pennsy car!;)

Ken- Bill never mentioned special effects. I believe what we see is the tunnel portal "soot" seen through glare, but you're right it does look like brake smoke.

Justin- Something you can do to have a C&O layout without a specific track plan is C&O equipment (you have), C&O style buildings and details specific to the C&O (like you posted the other day). Later you can put in C&O specific signals. Just some ideas.

Mark- Welcome.

View attachment 65098

Part 2 is a flyover (walk around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP9_WzynEJg

I hope everyone has a good night.
I do have one C&O structure. My depot. It's a wood kit that intimidates me. Basically all C&O structures I come across are wood kits. They ain't all that cheap either! But what you are hitting at is basically along the same lines of what I'm thinking. I have eyes on two little wooden shacks that would fit the mold of one of the pictures I posted earlier. I've been searching high and low for structures that are as close as to what was seen along C&O lines.

Justin

Ok Then...The piers are cut & sprayed so tomorrow I'll give'em a test fit and shoot a little up-date...So far so good...

Curt...Great Vid...More things for me to see and 'go to school' on...I never get enough Pix & Vids for my taste...!!!

Then...Speaking of Shipping & Tracking...LOL...I just got an 'Advice' from 'Michael's'...Some cheap utility paint...
Seems they sent my goods by Mule Train...Ordered Tue. 1/22...Expected on Thu. 2/1...Oh Well...Trig :)

Master Chef Curt -- That is something! I had not seen just how large your layout actually is.
It looks great .. You have to feel proud of what you have accomplished.

Justin -- Why not stock up on building materials and construct your own buildings? If you can assemble a kit - then you can build your own just as Trig is working on and the recent building that Curt completed. Kits are expensive - especially with details such as Willie just posted. Something to think about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back