Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Got back home this morning. Not to much sleep this past weekend up in Detroit while visiting friends and family. Forecast was cold and rain so I didn't ride the Harley. Drove a rental car which was smaller than I had first anticipated.
Back to work tomorrow and return to building the bridge tomorrow night.

Looks like my "winning" streak has come to an abrupt end.
First, I got a call from NCE today. After 5 weeks, they have determined the problem was user-induced, and they are not going to honor their warranty. So, I have to pay them for the repair, plus return shipping, for something they said was caused by an external short. I'm beginning to think I've about had enough of it.

Terry,
Who did you talk to at NCE? I've always found them to be pretty forgiving on "External cause failures". My old power supply over-voltaged my PHP, and even though it was 4 years old, they fixed it at no charge. They just sold me a better power supply. If you do the Facebook thing, look up NCE's Ed Wilson on FB and reach out to him. He will , at least, help you understand what happened.
Maybe it was one of those BLI meltdowns?? :rolleyes:

Oh, and the decoder guy, wise move. I bet the guy sells used condoms on the side!

Terry,
Who did you talk to at NCE? I've always found them to be pretty forgiving on "External cause failures". My old power supply over-voltaged my PHP, and even though it was 4 years old, they fixed it at no charge. They just sold me a better power supply. If you do the Facebook thing, look up NCE's Ed Wilson on FB and reach out to him. He will , at least, help you understand what happened.
Maybe it was one of those BLI meltdowns?? :rolleyes:

Oh, and the decoder guy, wise move. I bet the guy sells used condoms on the side!
I talked to Mike, in the repair department. Apparently they don't cover any electrical failures that can be potentially linked to an outside cause.
I got this system because the old one was melting down the BLI engines. Everybody tells me how great NCE is, and how they stand behind their stuff, but I'm certainly not seeing it. Oh, they fixed it, and charged me for it. He directly blamed me at first for not having the unit on a surge protector. When I affirmed I had one, he switched tacks, and told me they wouldn't cover it because I didn't have an external circuit breaker for the track. Doesn't it have one built-in? Well, yes, but it really doesn't protect it. So, that'll be $67, please. Oh, and you need to buy one of our external circuit breakers for $30.

Good evening.

Curt .... "GrampysTrains" posts in this forum as well as in the MR forum. Search his name here for his posts. He think he is still active. I never saw him in this Coffee Shop or in the MR Diner.

Eric ... Goad to hear you are planning to build a new layout.

Phil ( Flip) ... I would like to hear from you. My good model train friend here has a similar health issues you have had.

Sherrel ... Thanks for calling Phil. .... I'm thinking of you and your recent health issues too.

Cheers, everybody....

Good morning fellers. The heat got turned off here. I was cooking yesterday. Today the wind will cut right through you. Found this out the hard way while walking the dog this morning. Figured I'd share a fun fact with y'all. On May 2 1861 the C&O shops in Clifton Forge, VA opened. The yard there was massive! With the decline in coal came the decline of the yard. A lot of the track there has been removed however the yard is still there it just doesn't see all the traffic it used to. Just to get an idea how massive it really was do up a Google Earth search on it. I was amazed at its size. You can see some of it from the road but most of it is hidden behind hills surrounding it. That's all I have for now. Catch up to y'all later.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning Folks. 59° and absolutely clear skies this morning. After a cool weekend, we've got two warm days and then four more in the mild range. It's been absolutely roller coaster weather around here for the last two months. Spent part of the day mowing and then burned/momitored a large pile of brush that had accumulated. Sunday I ran out of one of my former BP medications and started on a different one (in combo with others). Yesterday I got two readings of 120/70 instead of the previous "normal" readings of 135/82. The change in meds was somewhat forced by the prescription drug program that I am now on that wanted a $400 co-pay for the former one versus an $8 copay for this one! Duh! Worked out better in the end. Busy day planned for today, with a 150 mile round trip that includes a trip to the recycling center, then to the doctor for a routine check-up, a visit to the Costco hearing aid center for some free replacement parts, lunch with a former co-worker who still works there, a much anticipated visit to Discount Model Railroads for needed supplies and extra goodies and a stop on the way home for gas for the vehicle and the tractor. Figure that I will be out and about for six hours before getting home to take a nap! Then I have to drink beer and make supper.
Did no modeling yesterday, but did spend an hour with the shop-vac cleaning up the "winter debris" from the floor.

Chet - How close is that Livingston club to you? It might be an opportunity to take your classics for a spin every now and then.
Eric - The JL Innovative Design laser-cut wood kits, like most made for MRRing, is pretty straightforward. Wall bracing and some fitting is always necessary with all of these kits. Priming both sides will help prevent warping of the walls. JL's come with cardstock roofs which have to be cut from stock sheets that are included. On a few of their models, I used sheet styrene from Evergreen instead, and then applied JL's self-sticking roll roofing to it.
Regarding the grain elevators. Terry's suggestion using 3" or 2" PVC would definitely work. I have six currently installed, mostly Walthers models with side bins from Rix. I don't anticipate having time today to get pictures, but I will get some in the next day or so.
Curt - That FOS yard office looks like a good "starter" kit. It looks like it will fit in well to your layout. It's also one of the few kits that they make that would fit my era and budget.

Gotta go. Busy day ahead. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Time for some picture shares. C&O facilities at Clifton Forge. They have long since been closed and much of the yard trackage is gone. However when coal was king this a huge yard. There are some engine facilities in place here but for the most part it's just a shadow of it's former self. The Huntington, WV yard is about to suffer the same fate.
258ce1654d200e573750535eea61fc9d.jpg
d3995a0248739562109ce3e6a52cd960.jpg
4e26655dd4f5210756bbcdbe0607b047.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning. 39 degrees with rain. Hoping the forcast is correct for sunny skies and temps into the upper 70's for the end of the week. Gotta get the grandson out mowing or I'll have a hay field.

Willie - The old NP depot where the club has their layout in Livingston is about 40 miles away. I will be going over there when I get a chance. It was hard to take photos and video with an open house and so many people visiting.

Terry - Bummer of the locomotive. hope you can work something out with them that doesn't cost too much.

Justin - enjoyed your photos.

A quick photo of part of the layout in Livingston showing some of the really nice scenery they have.

IMAG1121.jpg

I have more photos and videos of the layout in my Livingstom model rairoad post.

Later

I talked to Mike, in the repair department. Apparently they don't cover any electrical failures that can be potentially linked to an outside cause.
I got this system because the old one was melting down the BLI engines. Everybody tells me how great NCE is, and how they stand behind their stuff, but I'm certainly not seeing it. Oh, they fixed it, and charged me for it. He directly blamed me at first for not having the unit on a surge protector. When I affirmed I had one, he switched tacks, and told me they wouldn't cover it because I didn't have an external circuit breaker for the track. Doesn't it have one built-in? Well, yes, but it really doesn't protect it. So, that'll be $67, please. Oh, and you need to buy one of our external circuit breakers for $30.

Does it state that in the documentation that you got with the system?

Good morning all-- 35 and sun beginning to poke through. Supposed to hit 53.

Justin--Love your pics above!

Chet--package on its way!!

All--Twin Cities Model Railroad Club Show May 13 at the State Fair Grounds. I rented a table and will be selling some stuff. I decided to make a diorama for the event, partly to run my locos on also highlight my new project

More later

Justin: Great looking photos of the past.

Chet: You're right that Livingston scenery is super realistic. Please share some more photos and videos of the layout. Good blending of the scenery with the backdrop with the mountains.

Dave: Enjoy the twin cities Train Show. I'll be in that area in September for a 50th anniversary party. Quick trip up and back in two days time.

Rain, rain and more rain here. At least the trees are leafing out and spring flowers are blooming.

Saw on Sunday in a small town in Wisconsin called Poy Sippi, a guy had a 40 foot box car in his yard for storage! Bet his neighbors loved seeing that arrive.

That's all.

Greg

Good Morning to Everyone!
Lots of posts to catch up with ... Justin, I enjoy your pic and the narritives with them - just thought I'd let you know since I don't comment very much on your stuff!

My, My you guys are all busy. Safe travels today, Willie.

Spousal Unit and I have decided to proceed with the surgery - it will be done in two seperate stages. First stage will be to "replumb" two bypasses of the aneurism- one in each side of my lower neck. If that is successful, then three weeks or so later, they will attempt to block off the effected artery from both sides. Sure is going to pull the rug out from under our RV travel and visiting plans for a while - so you guys can breathe a little easier for now. No date set at this time.

Beautiful weather around here!
Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 88 | Low 56 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 89.8 | Low 48 °F
Precip. 0 in

Back