Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Terry ..... When I saw the Burlington U25C on sale in Walthers, I certainly was tempted. I had to remind myself I am modeling nothing newer than 1962. I was thinking of moving the period of my layout all the way up to 1965....... Currently, my most modern diesel are the SD24's of 1959. I have no low nose diesels.

Sherrel ... I recall seeing get Red & Silver Santa Fe U28CG's in the Chicago are where I grew up. .... Glad you liked the MKT PA1 photo. A lot of paint schemes were available for HO PA1's, but I never saw that one produced. So, I painted 3 HobbyTown PA1's for Katy. I think those were the best looking PA1's.

Louis ... Since you like history, I'll keep that in mind. Other Coffee Shop patrons are knowledgable about railroad history, too. ...... I mentioned there was an SD9 in the collision with was rebuilt and became the fist SD9 in the Chinese Red paint scheme. It has more history after that which is interesting. I'll check the details.

U25's leaving GE factory. Not yet delivered to CB&Q.

Erie%20PA%208-1965%20%20%20FC%201024VS_zps88vfhe9f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evenin' folks!

Just running through what I missed today before shutting down the putter and heading in to bed for the night.

Ray
According to our vet, it seems the commercial cat foods are killing the cats. My Midnight is also diabetic, and requires 2 injections of Lantus® each day. Our vet is real "natural diet" stressor , but at 17 and 6 Midnight and Tink love their dry food. Now the youngest cat, Tumbles (4) eats very little dry food, but eats a large amount of cooked chicken. He goes through 3-4 complete breasts in a week. He bloodwork is great, and the muscle he is starting to pile on is amazing for his small frame. Now if I can just get him to stop doing this crap!

I think your Vet is pretty much right. I am feeding my kitties a special food for diabetes by Purina. 'tis expensive but the boys are doing very, very well on it. A lot of the store bought foods are pure garbage and, I am convinced, not good for any pets. I don't have time to cook up special "natural" foods for them (or me too often) so they get what the vet recommends. They have both a dry food and canned food every day. They are also on distilled water as Manét had some major bouts of urinary stones when younger. Our lake water here is very salty (infants and us "elderly" people aren't supposed to drink they say) and since the vet put them on distilled water, the problem has been gone.... Poor little guy used to be in terrible pain when he had attackes of not being able to pass water..... I know what he was going through as I also had several kidney stones!

Time to head out.

Have a great night out there!

Louis ..... Here is a commentary in Trains Magazine by Fred Frailey. ... The tragic accident involving 700D is a mystery.

"Now go to Jan. 23, 1958. Colorado & Southern’s Extra 700D North left Utah Junction in Denver at 6:15 a.m., en route to Cheyenne, Wyo., with 4 F units and a 52-car train. Coming against it, only a minute or two late, was passenger train No. 30 from Billings, Mont. The train dispatcher chose not to set a meeting point between the trains, so Extra 700D North was required to clear No. 30 five or more minutes before the passenger train was scheduled past a siding.

Surviving crew members of the freight said later that they expected their train to clear No. 30 at Semper, Colo., 5.7 miles north of Utah Junction. The fireman said that near Utah Junction he asked the engineer where they would take siding but got no satisfactory answer. The engineer made a service application of the brakes approaching Semper, then released them and continued on, passing the south siding switch at 6:38 a.m., or 15 minutes before No. 30’s scheduled time. Quoting the accident report: “The fireman said he immediately warned the engineer that they should have taken siding at Semper. The engineer replied that they had sufficient time.” A crew member radioed from the caboose, asking where their train would clear No. 30. The engineer replied they would go to Broomfield, five miles north of Semper.

The fireman said he continued to warn the engineer that they would not clear Broomfield before No. 30’s 6:47 a.m. time, and was ignored. The conductor testified that he radioed the engineer instructions to stop their train at once and provide flag protection for the front of the train. The engineer did not comply. Thinking he may have overlooked something in their train orders, the conductor reread them. Finding nothing, he radioed the engineer as their train approached Broomfield that he would set the brakes from the caboose. At the time, Extra 700D North was passing the south siding switch of Broomfield without stopping. As the conductor was about to activate his brake valve, the two trains collided near the Broomfield depot, the passenger train doing 20 mph and the freight 30.

Both occupants of the cab of No. 30 were killed, as was the engineer of Extra 700D North. The ICC concluded that the collision occurred because the inferior train occupied the main track on the time of a superior train. But again, you’re left to wonder why.

I’ve reread this report numerous times over the years. What was the engineer really thinking? Given the repeated warnings by other crew members and his evasive or nonchalant replies — and given that he didn’t even slow his train as it came to the place he said he would take the siding — I can only conclude that he wished to die."

I would say Fred Frailey's conclusion is correct. It seems that there's nothing new then with that type of suicide.

Good evening Track Gang,
Hi Francine & Flo, How about coffee with some of the Pumpkin spice creme and a Apple Fritter? Great, thanks.

It's been rainy here off & on all day it seems. Yesterday and night I had some fairly high winds. Also, I heard that due to the heavy rains in the mountains going up toward Fish Camp, just outside of the Southern entrance to Yosemite Nat. Park a section of road washed away closing the road I imagine which is about 16 miles North of Oakhurst, the next town North of Coarsegold. Per the latest news, Cal Trans says both lanes going North into Yosemite are now closed.
http://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/highway-41-closed-inout-of-yosemite/661073125

Rain
41.5 °F
Feels Like 42 °F
N
Wind Variable
Gusts 0.0 mph

Tomorrow is forecast to be Cooler than today.
Today
High 54 | Low 38 °F
50% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 51.4 | Low 43.3 °F
Precip. 0.9 in
rain

Expect occasional rain to end at 3:30am.
Pressure 29.62 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Overcast 6000 ft
Windchill 41 °F
Dew Point 41 °F
Humidity 99%
Rainfall 0.33 in
Snow Depth Not available.

Good morning. I planned to post this photo last night but decided to wait since the focus was on a more somber topic.

This is what I have gotten done with my windowless caboose scratch-bashing project so far: All the main body pieces are ready for assembly. I did the cupola on Saturday and, as expected, some of the pieces didn't line up perfectly so I had to redo them. I applied the rivet decals and handrails beforehand, since the surfaces would be easier to reach - and it is much safer to press into a flat piece of styrene with a pin vice than trying to drill into a fragile newly-assembled body since it's not as tough as an injection-molded piece.

PiecesBeforeFinalAssembly.jpg

Ken: That looks very nice and interesting. Is this a kit your modifying? The ends with all the door and window detail look very good. Did you do much of that? Also, it appears as you show two extra interior wall sections for stiffners I imagine?

Back to the layout room today and hopefully start my ballast project that I intended to do yesterday. I was side tracked by two DCC locomotives whose decoders were acting up!

One locomotive's bell was not always operating and then the horn wasn't working. The other locomotive would run at one speed step and then increase its speed. Simply reprogramming their addresses cured the problem.

Lost a small truck screw on the floor, found it and them lost the other.

Greg

Greg: Loosing screws is par for the course it seems as I've done that quite often. Sometimes it seems you just can't win for loosing.

Good morning, everyone. I'll take a big cup of regular, please. It's 54 with a chance o' rain here in SW MO; heading for mid 60's today, 70's rest of the week before a slight cooldown this weekend.

David - Yeah, I understand about not nailing those spikes too hard. I'm being careful.

The first run was greeted by cheers and high fives from several family members present for the big moment. And as soon as I get a curved turnout in my latest MBKlein order, I'll be laying track for the next few weeks.

Nothing new from the train room. Well, that's not entirely true - - last night I went out to my wood shop and started building a control center for the layout. I also have a couple of kits to build, but no progress there lately - too excited and busy gluing down roadbed scenery.

See ya later. have a good day, everyone.
Johnny

Johnny: Glad your aware about not tapping the track nails too tight to the top of the ties. Are you planning on soldering any or your rail joiners to the rails? That's another area to be cautious about.

Time for me to get out in my garage and work on my switch building.
Hope everyone as a good night and day tomorrow.

Garry:
Colorado & Southern’s Extra 700D North left Utah Junction in Denver at 6:15 a.m., en route to Cheyenne, Wyo., with 4 F units and a 52-car train. Coming against it, only a minute or two late, was passenger train No. 30 from Billings, Mont. The train dispatcher chose not to set a meeting point between the trains, so Extra 700D North was required to clear No. 30 five or more minutes before the passenger train was scheduled past a siding.

Surviving crew members of the freight said later that they expected their train to clear No. 30 at Semper, Colo., 5.7 miles north of Utah Junction. The fireman said that near Utah Junction he asked the engineer where they would take siding but got no satisfactory answer.

It sure seems very strange that the engineer would carelessly put so many other peoples lives at risk on both trains?? It just doesn't make sense why he passed both siding locations, especially when he must have known that No. 30 must be getting very near when he was approaching the South siding switch prior to Broomfield! Just absolute Nuts!!

Louis ... Since you like history, I'll keep that in mind. Other Coffee Shop patrons are knowledgable about railroad history, too. ...... I mentioned there was an SD9 in the collision with was rebuilt and became the fist SD9 in the Chinese Red paint scheme. It has more history after that which is interesting. I'll check the details.

U25's leaving GE factory. Not yet delivered to CB&Q.

Erie%20PA%208-1965%20%20%20FC%201024VS_zps88vfhe9f.jpg

Garry I could not agree more about other modelers on this forum being scholars of history. Even if the specialize in their chosen railroad.

That locomotive looks like it just came out of the box and it did, so to speak. That's they way I like them!

Louis ..... Here is a commentary in Trains Magazine by Fred Frailey. ... The tragic accident involving 700D is a mystery.

"Now go to Jan. 23, 1958. Colorado & Southern’s Extra 700D North left Utah Junction in Denver at 6:15 a.m., en route to Cheyenne, Wyo., with 4 F units and a 52-car train. Coming against it, only a minute or two late, was passenger train No. 30 from Billings, Mont. The train dispatcher chose not to set a meeting point between the trains, so Extra 700D North was required to clear No. 30 five or more minutes before the passenger train was scheduled past a siding.

Surviving crew members of the freight said later that they expected their train to clear No. 30 at Semper, Colo., 5.7 miles north of Utah Junction. The fireman said that near Utah Junction he asked the engineer where they would take siding but got no satisfactory answer. The engineer made a service application of the brakes approaching Semper, then released them and continued on, passing the south siding switch at 6:38 a.m., or 15 minutes before No. 30’s scheduled time. Quoting the accident report: “The fireman said he immediately warned the engineer that they should have taken siding at Semper. The engineer replied that they had sufficient time.” A crew member radioed from the caboose, asking where their train would clear No. 30. The engineer replied they would go to Broomfield, five miles north of Semper.

The fireman said he continued to warn the engineer that they would not clear Broomfield before No. 30’s 6:47 a.m. time, and was ignored. The conductor testified that he radioed the engineer instructions to stop their train at once and provide flag protection for the front of the train. The engineer did not comply. Thinking he may have overlooked something in their train orders, the conductor reread them. Finding nothing, he radioed the engineer as their train approached Broomfield that he would set the brakes from the caboose. At the time, Extra 700D North was passing the south siding switch of Broomfield without stopping. As the conductor was about to activate his brake valve, the two trains collided near the Broomfield depot, the passenger train doing 20 mph and the freight 30.

Both occupants of the cab of No. 30 were killed, as was the engineer of Extra 700D North. The ICC concluded that the collision occurred because the inferior train occupied the main track on the time of a superior train. But again, you’re left to wonder why.

I’ve reread this report numerous times over the years. What was the engineer really thinking? Given the repeated warnings by other crew members and his evasive or nonchalant replies — and given that he didn’t even slow his train as it came to the place he said he would take the siding — I can only conclude that he wished to die."

I'll never understand suicide and it is even more baffling to me when they involve others. Suicide by having the Police shoot you is bad, but to kill and or injure others in your suicide is the worst.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I stumbled across something that put a smile on my face. With any amount of luck I can snag me a copy of this book. I'll share is this as not much of anything railroad related has come out of my birth place. Can't tell you how many coal trains and 4th of July parades I've watched at the Alderson depot.
http://www.wvva.com/story/34203921/2017/01/06/railroad-book-creating-opportunities-for-alderson

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning Everyone. 55° and clear today. Supposed to get into the 80's for the next two days.
I only spent a short time in the train shed yesterday. Glued the other roof on the Bar Mills structure and while waiting for the glue to set, I took an unopened Atlas boxcar off the shelf to inspect and add it to the layout. I check, take a picture and log all operating functions like coupler height, weight etc, for entering into my maintenance log in the computer. The first thing that I did was to break a very fragile brake line underneath...drat! I repaired it and grabbed a beer and went outside to sit in the shade and read Trains magazine for the remainder of the afternoon.

Ken in Md - Looks like you're really progressing on that caboose.
Chet - Actually I have had good luck with appliances. The train shed fridge that I replaced last summer was actually a second-hand one that my daughter had acquired from someone else when she lived in a dorm during college back in the late 90's. This freezer bout this time was actually the result of the door not closing all the way a few months ago which allowed the condensation to pool in the bottom, our fault. Both the freezer and dishwasher are 25+ years old and actually still work great. Like your old cars, it's better and less expensive to replace a part than buy a newer model that the service tech says have a lifespan of 10 years. Mostly I can fix them myself.
Ken (D&J) - No, Good Friday isn't even a state holiday here, it's just that most non-retail places in Texas take the day off; factories, schools, offices, local civil services etc. I wasn't aware that you were tied to the "Federal" schedule.
Bruce - Sounds like a plan. Great that you and your son will be able to enjoy some time together.
Dave - Six months is still "new" as far as jobs to me. I worked for my former employer for 43 years before retiring! I guess that I misunderstood the work space as being in the new location.
Beady - That trip between Langtry and Childress takes you through some wide open country out there. I can see why it was the best part of your trip. Hmmm. San Angelo was the biggest town that you might have passed through on the eight hour trip, and it ain't too big (100,000 pop).
Sherrel - Man, I hope that you are right about getting the taxes done on time in the future. If you owe, then the penalty is a drag, if you get a refund, you let the government use your money interest-free all that time.
Karl - Get well soon.
Terry - That is some nice prices on the locos. Too bad they don't fit either my era or RR. It's OK though, as I have more than I can currently use (note that I didn't say need!!!), plus I have 4-SD402's on pre-order from ScaleTrains. Glad that you could straighten Sherrel out regarding the ATSF U28CG's. Those didn't really work out for Santa Fe any way, and were quickly replaced with F45's.
Garry - Thanks for digging up that interesting tidbit regarding the train wreck, tragic as it was.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, everyone. 54 here in SW MO, heading for upper 70's today. Weekend will be cold (back in the 20s at night), but no precip forecast, so no snow. Except for a couple of "four-flakers" this has been a snowless winter around here.

Garry - interesting account of the collision. I'm always interested in historical accounts like that.

David - I've read up on soldering rail joints, and am fairly good with a soldering gun; but I'm trying Peco pre-wired rail connectors and don't plan to solder the joints. Want to see how that works before going the solder route.

From the train room - just finished making the basic control console last night (the wood frame that everything will be mounted to or at least sit in). Just waiting for my MBKlein order with that short radius curved turnout - should be here this week - then it's off to the races spiking track. We have three LHSs here (well, two in Springfield and one in Hollister, about 35 minutes away) - none of them had the correct turnout that I needed. Aaarrggghhh - frustrating.

See ya later. Have a good day, everyone.

Good morning to all. If this weather feels as good as it looks it might be a day for scooting, got to get the old gas out and put in some fresh OCH-tain, no better way than to RUN it out to Grand Ledge and put some o that "93" they got at the SHELL station there. Jam out to WACOUSTA and check on the Looking Glass River, maybe get a cup of that liquid speed from the truck stop and get lost in the farm lands. It looks like an awesome day, gotta make it so!

Detailed listing of MRR items for sale will be forthcoming soon!

Good morning. I'll have a cup of black coffee and a cinnamon bun. coffee.gif 32 degrees with light snow starting to sprinkle down.

Garry - Like the photos of the new locomotives and to explanation of the wreck.

Terry - enjoyed the review video. Sharp detains on that locomotive also. I can see these locomotives flying off of the shelves.

Curt - The grade crossing is looking good. I have a few that need to be done. Come on up. Grin.gif

Karl - The cat sure looks comfortable. Will it move for a train coming through ????

Toot
- I did see a new article about the crash.

Ken in Md - It looks like you're off to a good start on the caboose. Waiting to see the finished car.

Catch you later.

santafe- that is the plan, to get "Das Boy" out and about with me, hunting and fishing did not grab him, video games did and this is probably my last chance to bond over MAN stuff! It was HIS idea about the scooter in the first place and his MOM will not let him ride the thing alone unsupervised! SHEESH!

Good morning guys. The forecast for today was dense fog in the morning so I opted to work from home for a few hours then go in to the office for a meeting about 1030.
Well, turns out, the forecast was wrong, but I got some work done anyway.

Doing some research here as I have been wanting to add a SD50 to my roster. Comparing Athearn and P2K side by side and the differences between the two. I found the P2K to have the wrong horns installed. No biggie. The classification lights are too far inboard on the P2K as well. I'm not a rivet counter but I'm shocked at the differences between the two. However there's perks to them both. The Athearn units go like hot cakes! The P2K not so much. Apparently Athearn has a better looking cab overall and everyone seems to favor that over the added detailing the P2K has despite the errors. I like a P2K simply because their tooling is amazing! My SD7 is stupid quiet. Has great low speed handling and is just overall a decent locomotive. I feel stupid for ever contemplating getting rid of it. I have even played around with the thought of adding another SD7 to my fleet in the blue and yellow scheme. I really like them as a good switcher. Not to mention my SD7 is the oldest locomotive on my roster. Having bought is some 10 years ago and still runs strong and has survived several moves. I think instead of a bid war on eBay over an Athearn SD50 I'll take the safe bet and just go with a P2K. Who knows I may even save a buck or two.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Here is a page in a book about the wreck of 700D.

Three photos .... Before the wreck, after the wreck, and after being rebuilt. In the middle photo crews had already started to remove parts of 700D and the E7. Sorry the image quality is poor.

locomotive700D.jpg

Good mornin, on my 2nd cup of joe and reading Garrys article.. Wow, I wonder why life was so bad to do himself in and to take others down as well (hmm.. there could be another reason we will never know...)

Good morning guys. The forecast for today was dense fog in the morning so I opted to work from home for a few hours then go in to the office for a meeting about 1030.
Well, turns out, the forecast was wrong, but I got some work done anyway.

Ken - Same thing happened here in SW MO - forecast for "dense fog" developing overnight and through the morning til about noon. Got up and not a patch of fog in sight. Overcast, but no fog. I guess meteorolguessers have a tough life.

NTSB video footage of BNSF derailment and collision near Casselton ND.

[video=youtube;ZhraoVIJ1OE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhraoVIJ1OE[/video]

Back