Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing happened last night.
The guy who I was working for (Rob), programming in C# and SQL, just before I got back into trains called last night and was all but begging me to come back to him.
He sort of fired me back then - 17 months ago.
He's been wanting to re-write the entire system I/we spent the better part of 3 years building.
He's offering 2.5x what Larry is paying and more than 50% over what he was paying me before.
I told him I was going to hang with Larry until he doesn't need me (or want me) anymore regardless.
At 1 more month either way (probably more like 2 really).
I don't mind taking on the task - again. Problem is he wants it redone using 2 frameworks I am barely familiar with.
He has sent me links to some training videos/tutorials to get me going.
Looks like I'll have something to do in my early mornings for a while.
Funny thing is he just started [yet another] job doing embedded systems c++ - neither which does he know anything about - for $85/hr.
I'd rather do that for half that money than learn yet 2 MORE frameworks.
For that matter, I'd rather go back programming in assembly language. Good luck finding someone in this day and age who can do that!

Guess it's a good thing the opportunity has come up (or come back). Larry has family coming in 3 weeks and our will stop then for at least a week - if not for good. For planning's sake, I should really only count on the next 3 weeks. After that, it's up in the air.

Seems I always have "something" going on.
E.

Good Morning, 30 and light rain. We will be up to 60 by Saturday, they are saying.

I finished the midtown oil building kit and put it on the layout last night. This area was trees and brush before, I made it into a cement pad along the tar road.

contest4.13 005.jpg

contest4.13 001.jpg

The Great Falls Club/Museum is also cool, but again, not worth an overly long trip. Their layout is definitely "old school", kind of kick to see really. Like model railroading from 50 years ago with the big control tower high above the layout.

Back in the 80's and 90's I used to help the club out during their big open house during state fair. I would bring up some locomotives and rolling stock to help them keep trains rolling during fair hours. Having that open house was their rent for the year in the public school building. It is still a little old school from what I can gather, still running DC. They have done quite a bit of work on it from when I last saw it, adding a number of interesting mini scenes and installing new industries and enlarging towns. I'm interested in seeing the layout from my old friend Pete Ellis that they moved into the building and how they will connect it to their existing club layout.

The hobby shop is just three blocks away from one of the bowling alleys we do tournaments at in Great Falls. Absolutely will have to check it out the next time we're up there.

A warm start for the day at 47 degrees.

Toot - Thanks for the photos. A great size building for a layout. The little blonde is probably a bit young for you.

Dave - Nice photos. That's a nice addition to you layout.

Curt - Keep the photos coming. Always enjoy seeing them.

Have a good one.

Eric - Best of luck with whatever decision you make. To me, the new offer seems really good for you. The money sounds good and you wouldn't have to listen to Larry's music anymore. lol
Willie

Morning all,
Lots of interesting posts this morning. Good call, WILLIE!

LASM: Nice addition to the layout!

TOOT: Thanks for the pictures!

CURT: Your trackwork and ballasting really look nice.

KEN: Glad to see your work progressing.

JOE: Are you lost in that yard maze? lol

Good Morning:

Cool and overcast in Wisconsin. Just taking it slow...mailed my taxes this morning. The feds should pay the postage.

After lunch back to the layout....cleaning some loco wheels and reset a faulty decoder. The loco will not respond after the track power is turn on and off or there's a short.

That's all.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Cleaned house today while MOH was volunteering at the school. She texted that next week we have a project at the library, but not what it is. Tonight I have my field trip to the jail and tomorrow I have an errand in downtown. My SIL will probably be over tomorrow to install the new pool pump. He was a pool repairman in a previous job.

Chet- Great scene.

Rick- Build pictures?

BigE- Sounds like a good opportunity to earn some good money.

LASM- Great job on the project.

Steamtown.

IMG_1211_zpsd4142d0a.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric - Best of luck with whatever decision you make. To me, the new offer seems really good for you. The money sounds good and you wouldn't have to listen to Larry's music anymore. lol
Willie

Thanks Willie.
Larry made a quick comment this afternoon about maybe being done by end of next week so there might not be decision making necessary. It's really not so much whether I'll do the work for Rob - I will. It's a matter of when. I told him I wouldn't leave Larry hanging like that.
But don't think for a second the thought of never hearing that damnable music again suits me just fine!!!
E.

Good evening. Began my yard work, Picked up about half the branches and twigs the Oak trees shed on the yard over the winter. Tomorrow, I should get the rest finished.
This evening, I watched a little of the Detroit - Tampa playoff game. Just wasn't interested for some reason. Went down to the basement, and worked on the layout for a while. What I did not do was crawl under and connect any wires, so only one track is powered, so far. Maybe I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

L&S: I like the oil terminal. nice work.
Curt: Steamtown, right? Maybe I'll get there this spring.
Eric: I tend to agree with Willie. You need something more challenging, than painting, eh?
Sherrel: I've been lost in a maze for a long time. :rolleyes: Wiring a layout is one of my weaker points. Especially, when using my weakened knees for support. In any event, my eyesight isn't as bad as I thought it was. I had a Code 83 #6 switch in with my Code 70 switches. Caught the discrepancy before It was secured to the roadbed.:confused:
Justin: Your layout is coming along nicely. Good job and good placement of the Enginehouse.

Hope I'm caught up, and didn't miss anybody.

Morning fellers,
55° and a 50% chance of showers todays only heading to 64 this afternoon.
It's early so I'll start watching some training videos this morning.
Might as well get a start on it.
You all know I'm not one to sit around and wait.
E.

Good morning. 28° and sunny, with a frost. We have wild fire warnings, it hasn't rained in 36 hours, so the TV weather wonks are already talking drought. Yet, it's just going to be a nice Spring day. :confused:.

Mornin gents. 33 going to mid 60s without a cloud in the sky. Might have to head to the bike trail and stretch out these old bones for a bit. I'll throw up some pics of what Ive been working on a bit later.

Good Morning Everyone. 56 degrees and misty here this morning. Didn't get as warm yesterday as predicted, only reaching 60 with mist/drizzle all day long. Oh well, I needed a break from outdoor projects. In the train shed I ballasted a bunch of track that I painted about two weeks ago. Spent some time dusting off railcars, installed some more ground throws and in general just tidying things up. Amazing where you can find missing tools!
Dave - Midtown Oil is a nice addition.
Greg - You're still paying the postage even if the feds pick up the tab!
Eric - I have an IPod docking station with super speakers, and an IPod with 20,000 tunes on it in the train shed so I control my own sounds. Mostly 50's - 80's rock music. Thankfully no pop/disco for me!

Question for the real engineers or anyone else that might know. I'm installing "W" signs (whistle) on my layout. If I have a grade crossing with both a mainline and a passing siding crossing, do I install two signs in each direction? One for each track, or will one be enough? I'm thinking two in case a another train is blocking the view but I just don't know. I do know that in the real world, they are installed about 1/4 mi from the crossing which I will compress.

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Morning guys. Been working 12 hour days.
2b8d6150a63941a5252c6df52b2bec55.jpg
0c36d3d02a5bfa66ec801bc96a9adf11.jpg

Lining a 96" sanitary. Very impressive bypass set up also. I'll take a pic of the pumps later. We are running 3 30" hdpe pipe for the bypass to give ya some thought on the amount of water we are moving. Oh and it also happens to be next to the bnsf main line north of there north town diesel shop.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Hey Lame, as a former engineering land surveyor, I've had to deal with countless "sanitary sewers".
I always got a kick out of that term. Seems to me that "sanitary" and "sewer" should never be in the same sentence.
Get pics of the BNSF trains. I'm still wanting to get my hands on a SD70ACe with the BNSF colors.
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back