Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Beady - We have Subarus all over the place up here in Montana because they are such a great winter car. Most people up here drive them till the wheels fall off. I have looked for a used Legacy with a regular automatic transmission, but they are very few and far between because people don't want to part with them.

Sherrel, I think the Nissan Versa is still available with a standard transmission that can be towed.

If you think about it, naming a car "Fit" is pretty good marketing. It makes all other cars "not fit" by definition.

DCC stands for Digital Command Control. DCC ready usually means there is a plug or connector for a decoder, which translates digital signals into meaningful actions such as motor or lighting control independent of track voltage.

HA, HA ... Now You guys are just trying to confuse me with CV's and CVT's!

Terry -- Did not make myself clear, sorry. Does the DCC ready mean that it will run on "old time plain DC" and then needs a decoder in order to operate DCC? So any loco that says DCC ready Does Not have a decoder installed?
On the auto - the newer FIT's with a manual tranny can also be towed ... I think there were 2 or 3 years that they made an automatic that could be towed with no restrictions.

GARRY -- I haven't gone funny out here - yet - but, your photos this morning are "FAB"!

Howdy ...

I'm interested in the conversations about CVT transmissions. .... We rented a vehicle on our AZ trip that only had one shift position to go forward (D). .... I wonder why they did that... Must have been the CVT you are discussing. Eventually, we will need a new vehicle, and I hope we don't get one of those with CVT.

Below is a shot of the Empire Builder. .... Moved the camera back far enough so you can see moist of the train. ..... You can also see my coke oven to the left. ... To the right is the end of a branch line.

A%20GN%20EB_zpsrlpwpsnu.jpg

Originally I did not want to bother with scenery, but after seeing photos of world class layouts like this I changed my mind! Now all I have to do is move to my final resting place and retire, again!

After being sidelined for over 10 years due to my health I am in no hurry to give up working. I'm loving working, it's fun, I'm building my savings again, I paid for my new van (I LOVE MY CVT) I have more money to spend on my grandsons and I had a few dollars left over to buy toys for me!

I may not be an expert in anything, but I know how to turn a profit!

After all the blood work showed working has not been bad for me my doctor tried to hang me up by saying the getting in and out of the vehicle and twisting my back to put on the seat belt would be very bad for my back. I got him good when I told him MD law allows him to write me a letter to be exempt from wearing the seat belt :) I had to show him the law on my phone. He was not to happy but we compromised and he said I only had to wear the seat belt for long trips. I got the letter from him and I'm still working! :) I can't wait to show my letter to a lawman.

What is with these doctors not wanting me to work! I lost a few pants sizes but only lost a few pounds, my legs are getting stronger. Muscle is heaver than fat!

Don't worry Willie I am pacing myself, I feel GREAT! I need some shoulder work, but that never killed anybody. I tell the doctor about that next time :)

Chet I like the photo of your driveway, but your cars, both real and models are much more fun to look at.

With the Van paid for I was going to drop the full coverage auto insurance, but after seeing the over $3000 bill to fix the minor damage to my wife's car from the ice accident I changed my mind.

Fun down in the train room....broke a handrail on my favorite loco. By mistake I used slow acting ACC and then thought I could use "accelerator" to speed up the glue...Wrong. I forgot that the accelerator leaves a small, uneven surface. Oooops!!!

Called Atlas and they have the handrail sets in stock. Ordered two just in case.

Live and learn, then forget!

Greg

Bruette:

Don't feel too bad about the ice accident. Several years ago in a parking lot my wife backed into a SUV with her convertible. $800+ for her car and $1,200+ for the SUV she hit.

The sad part was the SUV was the only other car in the parking lot.

Our insurance agent (now former) said to pay for the repairs out of pocket to avoid insurance costs to increase far and beyond the repair costs.

Greg

Beady - We have Subarus all over the place up here in Montana because they are such a great winter car. Most people up here drive them till the wheels fall off. I have looked for a used Legacy with a regular automatic transmission, but they are very few and far between because people don't want to part with them.
The Legacy we traded in to get this Outback was probably the last with the old transmission. The Outback is perfect for us and has handled flawlessly on two cross-country trips (through the dessert, ironically), but I *really* miss that Legacy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Afternoon All,

I think we hit 80 F today here. I spent about 4 hours on the layout today. The fascia is painted and everything is installed on it. I checked the operation of all the electronics and toggle switches and they all worked without issue. The thing that seemed to take forever was the bundling and cleaning up of all the wiring. Tomorrow I am going to the club. I got a notice today that my 2 T/O's should be in on Tuesday:D.

Garry- Great picture of the Empire Builder. Excellent modeling.

Louis- Every time in the past when dropping coverage to the minimum I would be involved in a accident, so I always keep full coverage.

20170203_151310_zps7mutvopc.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sherrel
Terry -- Did not make myself clear, sorry. Does the DCC ready mean that it will run on "old time plain DC" and then needs a decoder in order to operate DCC? So any loco that says DCC ready Does Not have a decoder installed?

As Terry hasn't "picked up" yet, your assumption is correct.

Evening fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Thanks to everyone for the compliments on my layout pic. Imma share a photo with y'all just to let you know how my Friday is going so far.
0eed7dc525878ae7f1f3925a2572e0c6.jpg

On of the contractors who washes our assets clipped another trailer. Didn't even know he hit anything. TGIF! That's all I can say.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Chet, Greg, Sherrel, Curt, and Louis ..... Thanks for all of the very complimentary comments on my photos.

Louis ... If you are inspired to do scenery, I would encourage you to get started without waiting. You could make a small diorama to display one of your favorite locomotives just for fun.

Curt .... You can see a lot of stuff under the layout. I know how it is. You must put it somewhere.

Speaking of DCC, I just watched a video demonstrating MRC WiFi DCC which allows you to use your smart phone as a controller. You can download an ap into the phone to do it. With the phone's settings, you connect to the MRC WiFi. ... I was favorably impressed with it.

Bruette:

Don't feel too bad about the ice accident. Several years ago in a parking lot my wife backed into a SUV with her convertible. $800+ for her car and $1,200+ for the SUV she hit.

Our insurance agent (now former) said to pay for the repairs out of pocket to avoid insurance costs to increase far and beyond the repair costs.

Greg

Greg I would have happily paid $10000 out of my pocket because my wife was not hurt. That day 12/17 we had hundreds of cars involved in accidents all over Baltimore because of the freak sudden ice storm. Several people lost their lives and dozens were hurt, even first responders.

Louis- Every time in the past when dropping coverage to the minimum I would be involved in a accident, so I always keep full coverage.

20170203_151310_zps7mutvopc.jpg

I'm with you Curt, better safe than sorry. The thousand dollar deductible is enough for me.

Chet, Greg, Sherrel, Curt, and Louis ..... Thanks for all of the very complimentary comments on my photos.

Louis ... If you are inspired to do scenery, I would encourage you to get started without waiting. You could make a small diorama to display one of your favorite locomotives just for fun.

You are more than welcome Garry, thank you for sharing your fantastic layout, I always enjoy the pictures.

The diorama is a brilliant idea! I don't know why I have not thought of that. Sometimes the most obvious things go unnoticed, thank you sir!

Good morning fellow Spike Drivers & Gandy Dancers,

Hi Flo & Francine, How are you ladies tonight? Coffee and a Apple Fritter if you would.

It been a bit warmer but I had a fair amount of Rain and Thunder. So far the seasons total is 17.71 incehe.

Just wanted to share a photo of my layout that I haven't posted. The ore cars started out as undecorated and I weathered them, did some side repair patches, add Chooch loads (covered with WS ore), metal wheels and KD couplers. Collecting ore cars and I'm at 130+ of mostly Walthers, with some Roundhouse and MDC.

Greg

View attachment 60444

Greg: That's quite a nice looking scene on your layout!

Afternoon All,

Started out chilly but it's warm now. It looks like we have our seasonal temps for the rest of the week. I got the extension framing mounted to the layout with Son's help and ran the power buss in the framing. Tomorrow I hope to get the table top cut to size then mount the electronics on the front of the layout.

There seems to be a misunderstanding with several members here. When I started posting the awesome layout pictures I said they were of a layout belonging to a friend of my friend Jon. As much as I would like to say it's my layout, it's not and my modeling skills are not up to those standards. Sorry for any misunderstanding.:)

Chet- Excellent work.

Johnny- I have done some scratch building but nothing on the scale of, Ray, Chet, Garry and probably many others here.

Garry- All I could thick of was "Ouch" when I saw the picture of the wrecked loco.

20170131_140605_zpskiuvcoz9.jpg

Curt: Your doing some nice work yourself

Curt - I have enjoyed seeing Jon's layout pics. I notice lots of mistakes folks make in being nice to acknowledge each others posts. Not me; I mever nake missteaks!

I must have missed something - What is the addition for?

Here are a few pic from the layout at Lake Arrowhead Village:
View attachment 60440View attachment 60441View attachment 60442View attachment 60443

Say Sherrel: Glad to know you, 'mever nake missteaks'!

Bruette:

Greg

Howdy ...

I'm interested in the conversations about CVT transmissions. .... We rented a vehicle on our AZ trip that only had one shift position to go forward (D). .... I wonder why they did that... Must have been the CVT you are discussing. Eventually, we will need a new vehicle, and I hope we don't get one of those with CVT.

Below is a shot of the Empire Builder. .... Moved the camera back far enough so you can see moist of the train. ..... You can also see my coke oven to the left. ... To the right is the end of a branch line.

Hello again ..

Greg and Chet .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Ron ... Glad you got the truck back. Did they arrest the SOB's ? ... The "kit-bashed" truck looks like a fun project.

Greg ... Since you like ore cars, here is an ore train arriving in the town of Blackhawk. The Baldwin switcher is owned by the steel mill.

GNoretrainBH.jpg

Twenty acres of trains and walnut groves about 1-1/2 miles from my house.
For three years I worked an average of 15 hours a week - no pay, just play.

Track section assembly.
View attachment 60433

Completed track color-coded for different curvature.
View attachment 60434

Turntable and roundhouse yard under construction.
View attachment 60435

Sherrel: I was surprised that I could watch the video on my computer. Rather interesting.

I also liked the layout at Lake Arrowhead.

Was reminded of something, triggered by JazzDad's post of an NZ gear driven loco to which I remarked how there, making do with what you could get to make something was very much the "norm". There was this race car, called the Stanton Corvette in the 60's-70's. Very successful on the local scene and had an unusual final drive. Here's a pic

stanton11_zps22p6k1ec.png

That's chain drive, via a 1939 Ford V8 differential, behind a Corvette V8.

Say Toot: That's an interesting combination alritht!

Good evening. Gotta make this quick, trying to get to bed before 11:30.

Lotsa great looking photos being posted on here. I'll contribute one of my own, the White Castle burger joint I been working on for way too many evenings now. Still needs some further work, but I'll be placing it toward the rear of the layout surface, so it will look ok from a ~2ft distance. As of this moment, I need a temporary break from this thing.

WhiteCastleMockUp.jpg

Ken: Your White Castle Restrurant looks very good.

Ken-D&J: I'm doing treadmill workouts myself, 40 minutes 3 days a week (M-W-F). But not to lose weight - I'm doing it to keep my blood pressure under control. I try not to even look at how much weight I'm shedding because I might get dissappointed and lose my motivation; I gotta "just do it" like the Nike ad says. Either I do the treadmill, or give up normal foods and eat that flavorless low-sodium crap...

Ken: Yes, for your own health and safety some time on the tread mill should be a big help.

Bruette:

Greg

Greg: I guess you surmised your agent wasn't being completely truthful with you? To my understanding, they weren't, a case of personal enrichment which is just one type of Bad Faith.

Howdy ...

Hello again ..

Greg and Chet .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Ron ... Glad you got the truck back. Did they arrest the SOB's ? ... The "kit-bashed" truck looks like a fun project.

Greg ... Since you like ore cars, here is an ore train arriving in the town of Blackhawk. The Baldwin switcher is owned by the steel mill.

GNoretrainBH.jpg

Garry: Neat photos, both are great but I especially like the shot of the Ore train and the way you created a rocky hillside behind the station to connect it to the upper level. I have several areas on my layout I'm going to have to do something similar when I get to that point.

You are more than welcome Garry, thank you for sharing your fantastic layout, I always enjoy the pictures.

The diorama is a brilliant idea! I don't know why I have not thought of that. Sometimes the most obvious things go unnoticed, thank you sir!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Good morning. It's clear and 20.
We still have over 400 posts to go before this coffee shop is ready to be moved.

If you want to partake of some of this cold weather, you can come to my house. Or, you can wait until Monday, when it'll be 65 again...

Good morning gang
26 degrees outside, getting blood drawn, then breakfast then train show today.
Film at 11:cool:

Good Morning All. 49° and overcast skies here this morning. Got an early look at the new Coffee Shop this morning. Baked some more bread yesterday to take advantage of the supplemental heat that the oven added to the house. Left a loaf of french bread over on the counter for you to try with your coffee. Got the results of my Thursday blood test back yesterday. Cholesterol level of 163...Yippee! Two years ago it was 198. Doctor wanted to prescribe some kind of statin drug back then, but I declined given the side effects and potential long term damage. Adjusted my diet a bit (reluctantly) and that did the trick. He likes to prescribe things, I like to control things! Today, I will plant green peas, spinach and lettuce in the garden. I'll be consuming the spinach and lettuce by the end of March and the peas by mid April. Those radishes that I planted last week are peeking through.
Out in the train shed, I almost finished my latest structure. Just need to complete the roof trim, but I decided to consume adult beverages and set serious modeling aside. Ran some through freights instead.

Garry - Thanks for posting some more great pictures. Empire Builder and ore train both. Looks like it got a good reaction out of Louis as well.
Ron - Mixed blessings there. Hopefully your insurance will help out if you choose to use it...they may raise your rates. Nice work on your son's vehicle.
Louis
Now all I have to do is move to my final resting place and retire, again!
Might be hard to run trains in your "final resting place". Maybe your next to final resting place would be a better option.
Greg - While my insurance agent told me that his company knew of an accident we had, he advised not filling out a "blue form" for the Department of Public Safety. If you ever switch companies, there won't be that record on file for them to see.
Curt - Your "under the table" picture looks like a typical layout now! At least you still have vertical space to use there.
Terry - We're expecting mid 80's for Monday. Alas, the pool temperature is only 50°. Brrr! Nice to have a sneak peek at the new Coffee Shop!
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Back