Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
NINE blistering degrees out there! This expansion is not as radical as the last one, no massive inclines planned for the new lines so it's just a matter of obtaining the track, unscrewing some pieces of wood to reveal the area needing track, and throwing it down.

Looks like Winter is finally arriving here. Tonight's low is forecast to be 13.

Bruce, I cleaned out my pm box...

Good morning. 113, thanks for getting the coffee going. We're at 15 degrees with a little bit of snow that fell over night.

David - 548.gif

2869ral - The trestles look pretty good for having been in storage for so long. Doesn't look like it would take much to get them repaired. I don't think I would like to be on that bridge bouncing around. I can remember the trips from Haugen, MT to Avery, ID over the many trestles on the old Milwaukee Road but they didn't flex very much. I wasn't afraid of heights, but I did feel quite uncomfortable looking down. I can imagine how you felt stopped on the bridge.

Terry - I have a hunch that things are going to get a bit colder for you.

Sherrel - You just don't seem to have any luck with computers.

Karl - Glad that you finally have hot water. Can't believe that you need a friggin' permit to replace a water heater. Unbelievable. I assume that the other half is happy now.

Eric - Sorry to hear that you are so down in the dumps, but as you said, you're still on the right side of the grass. Better than the alternative. I'm sure everyone here is pulling for you. Hoping this therapy will be over soon with good results.

Bruce - You seem to be moving right along with your expansion. Any photos?

Garry - The plumbing supply house looks great. Like all of the thrones on the front porch.

At least out computers are up and running after the server problems yesterday, so I guess I should get some work done. Later.

Good morning, everybody.

RIP Jeff Running Bear. It was two years ago today when he died.

David ...... Happy Birthday ! .. ..... Thanks for remembering when Jeff died. I guess I asked just in time so he can be remembered on the anniversary of his passing. I can imagine Running Bear is liking the Happy Hunting Ground. ...

Karl .... Thanks for commenting about my Plumbing Supply Company. .... LOL at I. P. Daily ....

Willie ..... Did you say COOKIES ! ! ! ! . ..... I just love cookies ! .... Will you be sharing here in the coffee shop. ? .... Yum..... Also, thanks for commenting about my Plumbing Supply building. The lumber yard should be familiar with many HO modelers.

Chet ... Thank you too for commenting about the plumbing supply building.

Louis ... Good to hear things are going well with you.

2869rai ... Thank you for telling us about Canyon Diablo bridge as well as a little about the local area.

New Guy .... 9 degrees there.... brrr...... We are driving up to Siberia (Michigan) next week.

Good morning guys, I got a message from my old buddy Louis prompting me to check in!

I have 3 boxes of model rr stuff in the closet but not ready to start a project yet. Tearin out the old layout nearly did me in!

I will get around to posting some photos from the final photo shoot.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

LASM

Ken D&J RailRoad, that bridge is going to look awesome in that window. Well time to go look for my dog Mina (12 year old Lab) im not sure if she made it through the night.

Guys, i just joined this forum a couple months ago. I didnt know Jeff, can anyone tell me a little about him? Seems like he was well liked here. Thanks Ron

David - LASM - Nice to see that you stopped by. I hope you move went well and the new job is going well.

WOW, FIVE Pages of posts in less than 2 days. You guys out to set a record of some sort?

RON Stand by: You will get a ton of stuff about Jeffrey!
Is Seligman a crew change point for the BNSF? I seem to remember TIM mention it at times.

Battery running out back later
(If anyone cares)

Good afternoon. This is my fourth attempt to post here over the last 24 hrs. Every time I start, somebody or something - at work or at home - diverts my attention and I never get around to finishing it :rolleyes:

R.I.P. Jeffrey W., aka Dr. Frankendiesel.

David in CA - Happy Birthday!

Chet - congrats on your 45th anniversary.

Curt - Your passenger station and parking lot looks perfect where you've got it.

Sherrell - hope your hernia procedure goes well, with a vertical incision as the guys have recommended.

Garry - glad you got a thumbs-up from your doctor. Great looking plumbing supply shop.

Eric - hang in there, at least you've got us to communicate with!

Willie - I 'hear ya' on those Christmas prep activities! That's part of the reason I haven't been on here much the past few days.

Raincoat Johnny - that Rival Rails looks like an interesting book. I'm not usually much of a book reader, but I think I'd enjoy that one!

I know I probably missed a few of you - if I did, sorry about that! Gotta get back to work here...

Guys, i just joined this forum a couple months ago. I didnt know Jeff, can anyone tell me a little about him? Seems like he was well liked here. Thanks Ron

Ron. I'm late with this but welcome to the forum.

Jeff participated in several model railroad forums. I met him in the Model Railroader forum. .. when his health deteriorated he was about to go in the hospital. I asked him if he wanted me to update his news in each of the forums . He had diabetes and a foot was amputated. I posted the news in each forum. I got my information from family members. He lived in Louisiana. . ... eventually he was hospitalized and the other foot was amputated. Conditions worsened and he passed away two years ago.

Jeff was half Cherokee and was proud of his Native American heritage. He was an Army vet and a volunteer firefighter . he was in his early 50's when he died.

The Diner in the MR forum is also named after Jeff . I post in the MR forum with another screen name. (Heartland Division CB&Q). I enjoy this forum and am still posting here until they kick me out .

David Lasm. ... good to see you again.

Ken in MD. ... thank you for commenting.

Sherrel . I hope the operation goes well.

WOW, FIVE Pages of posts in less than 2 days. You guys out to set a record of some sort?

RON Stand by: You will get a ton of stuff about Jeffrey!
Is Seligman a crew change point for the BNSF? I seem to remember TIM mention it at times.

Battery running out back later
(If anyone cares)

I believe it was years ago before the run through, now it is not. On the Seligman and Needles subs Winslow and Needles are the swap locations. On the Clovis and Gallup subs Belen and Winslow are crew swap locations. Gallup lies right in the middles of Belen and Winslow and it has crew swaps for the coal trains which are run out of Gallup. Although there are some coaltrains that run the Coastlines and are not run from Gallup, but are called like they would regular freight and use the Belen, Winslow, and Needles swap locations. I probably gave you more than you needed, i hope i didnt confuse you. LOL

Ron. I'm late with this but welcome to the forum.

Jeff participated in several model railroad forums. I met him in the Model Railroader forum. .. when his health deteriorated he was about to go in the hospital. I asked him if he wanted me to update his news in each of the forums . He had diabetes and a foot was amputated. I posted the news in each forum. I got my information from family members. He lived in Louisiana. . ... eventually he was hospitalized and the other foot was amputated. Conditions worsened and he passed away two years ago.

Jeff was half Cherokee and was proud of his Native American heritage. He was an Army vet and a volunteer firefighter . he was in his early 50's when he died.

The Diner in the MR forum is also named after Jeff . I post in the MR forum with another screen name. (Heartland Division CB&Q). I enjoy this forum and am still posting here until they kick me out .

Thanks for the welcome, and the info on Jeff. Diabetes runs in my family and my twin brother is about to loose his foot. Its a terrible disease! R.I.P. Jeff.

2869 - I had to do a bit of snooping to find the bridge, but it is quite the structure. I think Ken is going to have quite a project on his hands trying to build it out of brass. Don't think I would want to be sitting stopped on it as another train goes over.

[video=youtube;6rpTZlBv__g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpTZlBv__g[/video]

Here's a video of it for him if he hasn't found it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chet, thats an awesome video. My next layout i will be modeling Belen Nm, to Needles Ca. So im also going to build this bridge. Im going to use plastruct. Yes Ken is going to have his work cut out. The old abutments there are from the original (1st) bridge built there in the 1870s. The present main 1 (which is the north track) sits right on top of the main street of the City of Canyon Diablo. Its hard to see, but there is a walkway that stretches the entire span just under the deck. This is used for inspection. There are 4 pins on each side of this bridge that hold it to the abutments. Its been a while since ive been under there, but i believe they are at least 2' in diameter and about 3-4' long. One heck of a bridge!
My dad was a conductor on the seligman sub for many years (actually the highest seniority conductor out of Winslow). The last picture we got of him was just west of Canyon Diablo about 10 miles. The place is called "Angel". He was rolling a train by and a photographer took his picture. The photographer was going to send him a copy and my dad was excited to see it. Unfortunately my dad passed away just 2 weeks later. He had a heart attack on a train headed to Needles. Here is the picture, the photographer heard of my dad passing and sent all of us a copy.

Attachments

• 2016-12-15 13.19.45.jpg
    2016-12-15 13.19.45.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd go for the culvert/road underpass a bit further along, with a picture of the Canyon Diablo as a reference.

David, Happy Birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back