Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Good Morning All. 49° with partly cloudy skies, heavy dew will make for a slow start of outdoor activities. Nice afternoon yesterday so I cut about a week's worth of firewood. Need 13-14 weeks worth for a winter and I have 9 ready to go. First needed fire averages around 11-15, then sporadically until 12-8.
Did more wiring out in the train shed yesterday. Ran more trains on the recently wired track without incident. Thus far I have only been testing main lines and passing sidings. I guess I should test the industry spurs (6 of them completed) now. While cleaning off some previously completed benchwork that has been used for storage, I came across a small box of "legs" that I had trimmed off Preiser figures to make drivers out of. Anyone have any idea what I can do with all of them? I already have a couple of scenes with some sticking out from under vehicles.

Garry - I like your scene. This is the fourth Merchant's Row kit that I am building, so I must enjoy them. This one is going into a scene with MR V and several DPM and other similar structures. I have previously built MR I and MR IV, which reside elsewhere.
Gary - Nice sunrise picture and nice looking grain elevator build.
Joe - All collections are critical around here.

Copy of 2011 09 14 St Peters Lindsay 005.jpg

Sherrel - Nice looking pool. Mother-in-law? You must have married a young one!

Everybody have a good Columbus Day.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning gang!

Its 48° and sunny, I'm just sitting here now waiting for the HVAC contractors to get here. Old A/c unit goes bye bye, also the electric baseboard heaters. Both replaced by 1 modern, efficient unit, new duct work and new electrical panel. (the current panel is outdated) .

Louis! I've got your stuff boxed up!

Random thoughts:
Has anyone but me noticed the RMC is getting thicker, while MR is getting thinner? Also MR sent me this ridiculous offer where I can renew my sub and give a gift sub for a stupid fee. I guess the video mag aint working out like they predicted. (Of course, you cant take the puter in the crapper!)
MR recently has an article on electronics, and the lead photo shows one of the most problematic commercially available electrical connectors known to man. (Hint, its red in the photo)

Ooops, contractor just knocked on the door, gotta go!

Had a very busy weekend so I never got near a computer. Starting off the day at 51 degrees this morning.

While on our week trip to town Saturday we got a call from one of the local car collectors and spent the afternoon and part of the evening at his ranch burning hot dogs and hamburgers. Got up to 77 degrees ant it was a nice way to spend one of the last warm days of the year. No collector cars up there because of 6 miles of gravel roads to get there. Sunday was a catch up day as we were getting everything we could into the construction dumpster that has been in front of the house since early summer. It will be going away in the next couple of days. Did get to watch the NASCAR race but it was all work after that.

Sherrel - Hope things go well for you today.

Gary P - Hope you had a good thanksgiving. Beautiful sunset. You've done some really nice work on the grain elevator. Excellent.

Garry - Always enjoy seeing your city scenes. That's some really nice work.

Eric - Haven't seen any post from you. Hope you're alright.

Willie - At least you did get something accomplished on your layout. I had planned on trying to get something done over the weekend but that didn't happen.

Terry - Enjoyed the link to the historic photos. Going to have to bookmark that site and re visit it a lot. Cool.

Now I'll have to go and check the posts that I saw on the phone over the weekend with photos too small to really enjoy.

Later,

Gary P ... L definitely like your grain elevator.

Sherrel ... I hope you are doing well with your medical issues. Looks like a very nice pool.

David .... Good to see you here.

Eric ... We're pulling for you.

Joe ... I may have spoke too soon. After some cool nights, some of the leaves are turning yellow.

cbq9913-1_zpsjad6n3ad.jpg

Afternoon All,

Believe it or not it was actually cool this morning (60's), but never fear it will be hot again in 2 days. Spent a couple of hours working on the pool and pool deck this morning, then took MOH out to lunch. In the next couple of days I need to recaulk around all the windows outside. It looks like we have a leak in the solar panel on the roof, so I isolated it and SIL is coming over on Wednesday to take a look at it.

Happy Thanksgiving to our buddies to the north. Happy Columbus Day, I mean Happy Discoverer's Day, I mean Happy Indigenous Peoples Day, or whatever is PC this year to the Americans on the forum.

Karl- I don't read MRR but I think you are talking about the red size suitcase connectors. If you are, they work really well for me. My soldering skills leave a lot to be desired. If I have a power connection issue 99% of the time it is from a bad solder. I don't think I have had a failure of the connector (5 years) unless I didn't squeeze hard enough with the pliers.

Garry- Great historical pic. It's the cat's meow! LOL. I wanted to apologize to you about convincing you to cancel your trip when it wasn't necessary.

Sherrel- Hope things went well today. Around here we have to have a screen enclosure to keep out our local wildlife and junk from the trees.

20161009_120023_zpsequjyycr.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon everybody,

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends. We had our turkey yesterday because we are going out for most of the day today.

GARY P.- Your elevator project looks very good. I like your weathering on this building. Having been raised on a grain farm on the Canadian prairies, elevators were a very common sight.

CURT- Great shot of your New River Coal facility, excellent modeling.

SHERREL- Hope all went well today.

ERIC- Kind of missing you in the coffee shop. Hope all is OK with you.

Yesterday at about 11:30 AM a westbound CP unit train struck and killed a pedestrian near the crossing behind our house. This is the third death in this area in the past two years. People are just not getting the message to stay off of railroad tracks. In yesterday's case, the victim was wearing ear buds and did not hear the train horn. The engineer laid on the horn long and hard before the train contacted the pedestrian. I feel so sorry for the train crew, it must be so hard to just sit there and watch your train run over someone and not be able to do anything about it. There is two or three CP unit trains going through here each day. They have about 150 gons loaded with coal destined for overseas transport from Vancouver. They travel very slow, probably no more than 30mph. They go slow to reduce the amount of coal dust emitting from the loaded cars, they have been sprayed with a coating after loading but this does not stop the dust blowing off entirely. There are more than 45 trains a day going through here on this CN mainline. Not a good place to be wallking on the tracks!

I took this picture with my cell phone from the second floor of my house facing West.

20161009_114241_003.jpg

Have a super day guys!

Mel

Good afternoon all,

Good evening. 51°, and dark. Stopped raining about 4 PM, and we did get some sunshine. Happy Thanksgiving to all North of the Border. Happy Columbus Day, this side of the border. Gary P, nice job on the grain elevator. Garry, Nice scene. Didn't know the Burlington served Sykesville, MD. :rolleyes:

Speaking of Canada, the Toronto Blue Jays just eliminated the Texas Rangers, 7-6 in the 10th to take the first round in the ALCS. It was a good game to watch.

David: I only mentioned the first part, because the morning sky was very red, Saturday Morning. Little did I know, we were in for so much rain this weekend. Forecast was for mostly sunny, as Matthew was supposed to miss us...

Joe: That was sure a Red Sunrise alright. Having lived in the Coarsegold foothills for the past 48+ years now I don't think I can say I've seen a sunrise like that. But I have seen plenty of spectacular Sunsets!

Garry, Joe, Curt, and All Thanks for the well wishes tomorrow.
A little enjoyment today in the Mother in law's pool - outside temp of 93.

Say Sherrel: Naturally I hope everything goes well with whatever procedure your going to have done.

Good afternoon everybody,

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends. We had our turkey yesterday because we are going out for most of the day today.

Yesterday at about 11:30 AM a westbound CP unit train struck and killed a pedestrian near the crossing behind our house. This is the third death in this area in the past two years. People are just not getting the message to stay off of railroad tracks. In yesterday's case, the victim was wearing ear buds and did not hear the train horn. The engineer laid on the horn long and hard before the train contacted the pedestrian. I feel so sorry for the train crew, it must be so hard to just sit there and watch your train run over someone and not be able to do anything about it. There is two or three CP unit trains going through here each day. They have about 150 gons loaded with coal destined for overseas transport from Vancouver. They travel very slow, probably no more than 30mph. They go slow to reduce the amount of coal dust emitting from the loaded cars, they have been sprayed with a coating after loading but this does not stop the dust blowing off entirely. There are more than 45 trains a day going through here on this CN mainline. Not a good place to be wallking on the tracks!

Have a super day guys!

Mel

Say Mel: That's a very unfortunate thing to have happen alright. I guess no one was near enough by to grab the individual and pull them off the tracks.

I hope all have a great day and week.

Good afternoon. Nice day here today getting up to 72 degrees.

Garry - Excellent historic photo. Purty train.

Mel - That's a sad incident. Working in law enforcement I handled too many of these incidents. Did have one funny one when I guy was pissed off at his '66 Chevy and parked it on the tracks right across the street from a bar where he sat and waited for a train to come and destroy the old Chevy.

Curt - Neat photo. Always enjoy seeing your layout pictures.

Here the grain elevator and a turntable in the background.

IMAG0892.jpg

Later.

In yesterday's case, the victim was wearing ear buds and did not hear the train horn.

Mel

I don't don't buy that..... You gotta be playing your iTunes awful damn loud not to hear a 5 chime!!!! It is called suicide by train. Every engineers worst nightmare and many don't ever recover from seeing that. I'm told that if you work as an engineer or conductor long enough you have almost a 100% chance of having that happen.

Happened a couple years back in Rochester, NY with an Amtrack Train. Those "awful, bad, nasty trains" got a lot of bad press from that ("Why didn't they stop???" etc.). Turns out the guy was having some really bad mental problems and was suicidal..... I feel very bad for train crew and the family, but have trouble feeling sorry for the guy who got killed.

Good evening. It's clear and 68.
I just got off the phone with Sherrel, who said he just got out of the place where they did the procedure, only 8 hours. He did survive the visit, and I'm sure he'll be along shortly to debrief us.

Louis! I've got your stuff boxed up.

Thanks for the reminder! I can't believe I won the passenger station! I dozed off yesterday and forgot all about the auction. I guess the other bidders did as well. I bid much higher and was planning to make a last minute bid at full value because your stuff is always better than you describe and your shipping rates are fantastic, thank you.

You are the best eBay seller I have bought from and believe you me I have bought from hundreds! As I said your stuff is always better than described, your packaging is first rate and your combined shipping rates are fantastic, thanks again!

Good evening. It's clear and 68.
I just got off the phone with Sherrel, who said he just got out of the place where they did the procedure, only 8 hours. He did survive the visit, and I'm sure he'll be along shortly to debrief us.

Thanks for the update!

You are most welcome Louis!

FYI I'll be taking a break from new listings for a few days. All the eBay stuff has been sequestered to a closet while the contractors are working, but hopefully bt the end of the week there will be more to list.

The procedure was not THE procedure, just a procedure to see what procedure they will proceed with when they proceed.

Good evening. 46*F clear and calm in central MD.

Sherrell - hope the docs have a definite plan for attacking that aneurysm. Prayers going up for you!

Karl - be on the lookout for an op session announcement in the not-too-distant future!

Lots of fine photos from Garry, Curt, Chet, and CMMR Gary!

Terry - interesting set of photo links, I'll have to finish checking them out when I finish entering this post.

I'm feeling pretty run down right now; did my 40-minute workout on the treadmill [every M-W-F] and it just wore me out! Spent all of Sunday using my JMRI PanelPro to create manifests and switchlists for my next op session. So far I've generated 40 separate documents, some were quick but a few had subtle glitches where I had to re-attempt building the same train 4 or 5 times after making minor adjustments. If it's this much trouble just generating paper documents, I'd hate to imagine trying to use the software to monitor my trains in real-time! This reinforces my desire to follow the KISS approach with running my trains. I've done enough troubleshooting of computers at work over my 30-year I/T career, I don't want to find myself having to do that in the middle of an op session!

Have a good night y'all!

Back