Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Have some chores to get done. Will be back in a while but will first post another photo for Mel. He may think we're ganging up on him. Grin.gif

192064.jpg

Later

CURT. I am with you on the parking. The daily rate near the A/P in San Diego is like 40 dollars a day. THATS INSANE! I think LEGO LAND is at least $20.00.

MEL. Thinking of you :
View attachment 58603

Thanks for thinking of me Sherrel, but MOH says there will no pile drivers in the house :rolleyes:

MOH had her left eye cataract surgery yesterday, all went well. She is a very nervous type of person so she opted for sedation during the procedure, the effects of it left her loopy for the rest of the day. My day was taken up looking after her which I was happy to do. It is too bad Eric can't get this kind of sedation for his MRI, it would make the process so much easier for him.

Working on the layout today installing the engine house and track, waiting for more wood for the trestle, it is amazing how much scale wood is already in it.

Gotta go now

Mel

Have some chores to get done. Will be back in a while but will first post another photo for Mel. He may think we're ganging up on him. View attachment 58608

View attachment 58609

Later

Chet- I certainly do not feel ganged up on, love these old wood bridges. Some of the early logging operations on the West coast had some bridges that would make your hair stand on end, I would be afraid to walk across some of them, riding a Shay loco with a string of log bunks would be a real interesting experience!

This is what remains of the Ladner Creek trestle on the old Kettle Valley Railway. This bridge is about 50 miles North of us.

ff114b225c4c94cccbf032bc267a0227.jpg

Mel

Afternoon All,

Garry- I know it has to be done at times, but I will be saying prayers for you.

Curt .... Thank you... I should be having normal life for now, however. We're even thinking making a short trip in October, and Orlando might be a destination. Not sure yet.

I have been working on a passenger train that wanted to derail. Now however, I think I am finally through solving the issues.

I like the photos of the old trestles and bridges.

KARL. That Frisco unit you have there needs serious rebuild. Whose is that? On a brighter note .. The Canton shifters are very nice. I like the 1203 design better..P.S. Family photo is a good one. I got 7 of them - all boys - but they are scattered all over ( 4 on the East Coast).
!

Sherrell. That Frisco geep is actually Lionel Ho. It runs pretty well, it has the later gear drive, no rubber bands. Its part of the lot that will eventually make it to FleaBay! 7 boys? My god I hope we don't wait that long! SWMBO really wants a grand-daughter....its possible, as only 2 of our 5 sons have gotten married. :rolleyes:

Spent all evening running a backup for my PC. Baseball didn't go well this evening, Birds lost, Red Sox won, Toronto is ahead.:mad: Have a good evening.

Yay!! a system restore, as suggested by Dale, back to the last restore point has my computer back up and running (without any puzzling messages) again. A big sigh of relief.

Toot: Are you referring to the two individuals crossing the bridge with one walking along the outside plate of the I beam!

Toot: Are you referring to the two individuals crossing the bridge with one walking along the outside plate of the I beam!

Yeah! had to enlarge to be sure. Not sure which is taking the greater risk of falling down, the one on the I beam, or the one walking on the rotten timbers. Least they seem to be holding hands, but which is more likely to save the other, is a moot point.

...Louis - The last two GG-1 paint schemes are a bit better, but my favorite is still the Brunswick green with the gold stripes.

Here's the Alco S-2 entering Gallatin Junction on the main line. The track on the right is the yard lead. Didn't want to have to use a double crossover, but due to space limitations, it was the best solution. I have heard of people having problems with them, but this one has been in place for over 20 years and no problems. Being that it has worked so well, I put another at the yard entrance to my other yard.

View attachment 58600

Later
Chet I like all the schemes that have decorated the GG1, they bring the history of the great iconic locomotive to life in living color or shinning black. She saw the peak of passenger service and the valley. Although they tried several times to retire the old girl, she kept coming back to save the day when her replacements failed to answer the bell.
For that reason alone this one may be my favorite paint scheme, but that can change day to day. :)
5607931388_f26bd465dc_z.jpg

I love the Bus in your photo. The details really bring your layout to life. You have just enough without making it too busy, I love it!

Louis: I have my fingers crossed. While we play TB, the Yankees play the Red Sox, and Toronto plays the Angels. The AL race is interesting, as only 4 teams have been eliminated from the Post season. There are still a lot of mathematical possibilities. The O's MUST stay on their game.

View attachment 58601

Something new, Amtrak's new generation diesel testing at Newark, DE. Photo by Gerry Pancavage, a retired Amtrak guy.
Boris that is a beauty, but I like this one that is scheduled to be running in the northeast by 2021 and it's AMERICAN MADE!
7ac70687-7469-11e6-be71-095a60e298dc.jpg

Spent all evening running a backup for my PC. Baseball didn't go well this evening, Birds lost, Red Sox won, Toronto is ahead.:mad: Have a good evening.
Boris it was a frustrating night. I don't concern myself too much with scoreboard watching. If you take care of your job what the others do is irrelevant, but I still watch the scoreboards.

Several times we had runners on third with 0 or 1 out, not one of those runners scored. We should have had the lead going into the 9th instead of trailing by one. We still managed to get runners on first and third with 1 out in the 9th, but Trumbo struck out out looking and Davis took the first 2 strikes, both were up and over the plate. Then he swings at a ball in the dirt striking out to end the game.

A perfect example was Manny Machado batting with 0 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd, he swings at 3 straight curveballs and strikes out. The infield defense was conceding 1 run, a ground ball easily scores 1 and if you play fundamentally sound baseball and hit the ball to the right side the runner on second ends up at third. With less than 2 outs and runners on third we should have had 3 possibly 4 or more easy runs last night. We did not get beat by good pitching, we beat ourselves. I could see the frustration on Buck's face, he knows better, but how do you get millionaire prima donna ball players to understand you don't always have to hit a home run?

We have no concept of situational hitting. Last nights Orioles game showed If you live by the homerun you die by the strikeout.

At least my grandson's soccer practice was better. Now if I can only get my girls to understand "if your not at least 10 minutes early, you are LATE!"

Yay!! a system restore, as suggested by Dale, back to the last restore point has my computer back up and running (without any puzzling messages) again. A big sigh of relief.

King Toot I'm happy to hear your good news! Well done Dale!

Thanks for all the well wishes etc.
E
We are always thinking of you E!

Good morning Everybody!

According to my new wireless weather station it is 65.3 degrees with 73% humidity under mostly cloudy skies with a full moon. I did not notice the moon, but the weather station is telling me it's full. Waxing gibbous what ever that means.

Why do I have a wireless weather station? It's like this; "attention Kmart shoppers if you don't have enough crap cluttering up your desk here is a wireless weather station to amuse you" That and to get free shipping I need to spend a few more dollars when I ordered my boys new Timex watches. Don't tell them, Santa will leave the watches under the Christmas tree.

Santa is doing good so far this year. He only has baseball bats and now watches, but you know that will change!

Here is a great example of the kind person I am. I had a Rolex that my ex-wife gave me when we were married, but I never once wore it out of the house. Instead I wear a basic analog $15 Timex. I was shocked when I traded that Rolex in at the Jewelry store to buy my current wife something. I did not like that thing at all, I was hoping to get a couple hundred for it, not thousands! Who pays that kind of money for a watch? I have bought cars, even trucks for less!

I don't like jewelry, to me jewelry was made to be lost or broken, what's the point? My wife, my Angel Face loves Jewelry so I happily buy it for her. To my amazement she has never lost a single piece. Even the broken necklace was recovered and repaired.

I do proudly wear my simple wedding band. My Angel Face knows me well and she bought for me a simple wedding band, just what I probably would have picked out. My ex was always buying me big ugly gold jewelry, yep I married the wrong woman first time.

When I coach baseball I get really fancy with my $25 digital Timex that has a stop watch. You need a stop watch to time the pitchers delivery. I am not a big advocate of base stealing, but if the pitcher is giving you a base you take it!

I have a meeting today that could turn out to be something fun and make me a few dollars too, that's always good. I'll give you the details if and when they become finalized.

Have I rambled on enough? I think so, forgive me if I have bored you. Hey you did not have to read it! :)

Have a great day Everybody!

Looks like I am going to be discharged today so me and dad can go pack some of my stuff and begin the move back home - Sullivan illinois
i am going back to sleep - they'll let me.
E

Good Morning All. 73° and mostly cloudy outside. Rather large area of precipitation about 45 miles west, moving east, but the weather forecast only gives us 10% chance. Funny that the temperature has been going up since 4:00am.
Did the grocery/beer trek yesterday so that took a bit of time. The Kroger store that I normally visit was having a "Grand Opening" sale following a nine month re-model while still operating. They have gas pumps and were offering gasoline discounts as well as earned gas points, and I was able to save 70¢/gallon on gas, getting premium for $1.49!!! Saved over $10 filling up our Accura RDX.
Out in the train shed, I almost finished the Walther's structure that I am working on. Still need to mount the railroad dock doors and some roof trim. Fits where I want it to. Next up will be a warehouse made from PikeStuff components.
Joe/Garry - I do like the Walther's Cornerstone kits, but as I explained to Ken a few days ago, I do have a love/hate relationship with them. I have built over 30 of their industries. I don't think that anyone at Walthers tries to assemble any of their kits using their instructions. Some of the kits that I purchased between 2000 and 2008 had extremely warped parts in them when opened. They seem to be better now. Everyone knows about the shortcomings of their instructions, but after a few assemblies, you learn to work around that. Besides all of the extra parts (which I can't find six months later), they are real "railroad-sized" industries.
Garry - Best wishes on the November procedure. Sounds like you have had some practice already.
Chet - Anther great photo from your layout.
Sherrel - Use the eraser end of a pencil. That's a poor man's stylus...I used to use it on a pocket calculator at work.
Curt - Take it easy with the arm. Hope it mends soon.
Eric - Continued best wishes and prayers for you.

Fall must be coming, as I saw two separate flocks of geese flying overhead yesterday on their way south. Didn't have the camera handy, but here's a couple of pictures that I took a few years back of them flying over my house.
04-06-08 023.jpg04-06-08 024.jpg

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, Happy Friday. 49°, clear and sunny.

David: Welcome back.

Eric: Best wishes, and good luck.

Louis: Penn Coach Yard never looked so good. From the rendering, I note that they are showing the new HST crossing out on to the 36th Street Connection, instead of out the River Line, (Current normal route). The Engineering people were planning to use the "connection", back in 1998, as the curves were not as vicious vs. the River Line. They projected a time savings of perhaps 30 seconds... The new HS train sets are impressive.

Baseball wise, I sense your frustration. I was preoccupied with other things, but kept checking back - both the Yankees and O's games were on TV last night, and for a while the Yankees had a decent lead, they could not hold. What bothered me about the O's was not that they weren't scoring, but that they had allowed the Rays to build a substantial lead, and again had to play catch-up. A win today, coupled with losses by Boston and Toronto, resets everything.

I'm not a bling guy, just a Wedding Band. My watch is a Bulova Marine Star, a gift from my youngest son. I was always a Timex guy, myself.

Today, I'm transitioning from my Dell Laptop to a new HP Laptop. I7 processor, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 touch screen... The Dell's keyboard is not what it used to be, so... It will end up as part of my Model Railroad's traffic control system at some point.

Speaking of Win 10, I'm really out of the loop when it comes to code writing, but WIN 10 is loaded with bad and redundant code.

Back