Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

I think my track woes are spanning from when I removed a section. Paying for it now. I have tried the squeeze method which hasn't helped. I may do some soldering on it to see if that is a fix. It's on my Saturday to do list.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Interesting....... So, how do you know the locomotive in the video was going "backwards"? I can't see close enough in the video to be sure of it. Some roads used to run long hood forward and some roads ran short hood forward. So how can we know which was which? Hmmmmm..... Here is a photo of the museum's 45 Tonner RG&E 1941 Beebee Station with our PC Caboose:

194102w.png

Was the photo taken of the front of the locomotive or the rear? Lets see what some of you say?

OK, here is a better photo of her. Now do you know which way is forward? Let me know what you think and why!

194103w.png

Ray, the photos are of the front of the locomotive, with the person in the cab facing forward.
Anyone in doubt, can reference the large "F" painted on the frame next to the front step.

Ray- I would say the side with the silver exhaust stack is front.

OK, but which silver exhaust stack? Here is a shot taken from the deck of the PC Caboose, ie. the other end of the loco.... This is a GE switcher with 2 prime movers, but one end is clearly designated as the front. Which one? :confused:

194101w.png

As terry said, the end with the "F". Maybe they should write instead "F'n,F", put it beyond any doubt.

Bingo!!! We have a few winners!

Amazing how many model railroaders, though, that have no idea how to tell. Yep, There is a capitol letter F on the side of the deck plate on most every Diesel Locomotive that designates where the front is and therefore also denotes which side the engineer will be sitting on. The guy leaning out of the cab window in both of the first photos is the engineer. In proto service many were (particularly switchers) used whatever way the loco was heading. The diesels work equally well going forward or backing up... Only problem can be where the signals are located. That would mean the engineer will have to remember where to lokk on most roads......

Good work!

This is as close as I dared to get to that shack. In the daytime.
DSCF4388.jpgIf I can get the right angle and the right sun I can get better shots of the weed growing gondola, the area around it is strewn with piles of ties, ballast and dirt in no particular order. Excellent yard "waste ground" to model.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 62, here in mid-Michigan; supposed to be the same tomorrow, then snow. :/

So, I haven't yet disassembled my layout prior to the yet-to-be-scheduled asbestos abatement. I'm waiting until the last minute, and in the meantime I've been attempting to run trains and locos, but I'm starting to get discoraged.

The specs: N guage, Kato sectional double-track in a bridged figure 8, with a double crossover and single-track turnouts.

There is one spot on the downs lope where most of my locos derail. My FEF3 is the only loco that can go over it reliably, while the AX derails consistently. Other locos have various results. I'm beginning to change my mind about taking a file to the rails. There are still some things I'll be trying first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

LOL! You might have seen me riding my scooter through your neck of town, I go out past the airport all the time out to the flying J for coffee and over to Grand Ledge, Wacousta, that whole area up and down Grand River and THE Grand River out to Portland! I'm in the funky cammo jacket, you can't miss me! Did you score anything good at the train show at the M.S.U. pavilion? I was unable to go, the furnace took a dump two days before it and there went my train show money!

Good luck with the asbestos abatement, where is this happening? Those apts along Grand River across from the Airport?

Don't think there'll be too much traffic on the rail line along the NE coast of NZ's south island after the earthquake a few days ago. 7.8 on the Richter with aftershocks occurring in the 6+.

0578-3940782-image-a-29_14793752662651_zpspaablglo.png

Boy that shack reminds me of the school bus shelters I had growing up. They always reminded me of my grandmother's outhouse.

Afternoon All,

Nice new paint job in the coffee shop! I did another signal head today so it is drying now. My black styrene should be here tomorrow. I figure I can do 1 signal head per day. It takes about 90 minutes to solder everything up, test, fit and glue in place, and test again. Honestly the hardest thing to do is fit everything inside the head. It was reinforced to me today about testing before gluing. One of the LED's was not working. I don't know if I messed it up somehow or if it was bad. I double checked and everything was in the correct polarity.

Louis- Great suggestion. I put 2 of the 1k resistors in series and the lights seem to be not so bright as to cause seizures now. Thanks for the idea.

20161117_140456_zps4srytpjl.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt LEDs can last a lifetime, but that is if the work from the jump!

I put up some LED Christmas lights today and I was shocked to find they all worked right out of the box, that is a first!!! I have got thousands of LED Christmas lights and I bet 2-3% don't work right out of the box.

I learned my lesson, I test them as soon as they come out of the box. I have been buying them for about 5 years now and I have yet to replace any that have worked when new.

I'm glad the resistors worked out for you. I would have stayed with the super bright light, but I am tacky :) if it is bright and shinny I like it! Hey they would have made a nice night light for the train room. :)

Anybody hear from Garry?

I think he's in the middle of whatever it was he was getting done or just finishing, he said he jumped the gun on telling us about it.

I worry about E every day, cancer took my Mom and it scares the heck outa me. Hope he is doing well.

Boy that shack reminds me of the school bus shelters I had growing up. They always reminded me of my grandmother's outhouse.

That pole right next to it probably had a phone line on it to the shack before radio, you can't see it from this shot but the yard is pretty long, almost a mile and the main switch ladders are far apart. I know didly about proto but that just seems like common sense working procedure to me, communication is key on any job.

Good evening. It's clear and 56.
Tomorrow, it's supposed to hit 80 here. The last time I was somewhere it was 80 the week before Thanksgiving, I was living in South Florida 10 years ago...

Hello and late night, fellow, 'Rail Benders and Spike Drivers',

Hi Flo and Francine, Just some wake up coffee, thanks.

The weather was much cooler today which is now at 11:00 Pm

I've missed a couple of days as I had a bit of a scare about my laundry room door dead bolt a couple of days ago. After returning home from being out, when I put the key in it to unlock the DB and turned it, it didn't seem to feel or sound normal
like for the past 25+ years since I installed it and when I turned the key back the key seemed to go farther than before without any flipping of the DB. Then I tried to again turn the key like I was unlocking the DB and I could spin the barrel 360* and more. What the heck was going on?? Then I tried to remove the key and the entire cylinder came out. I tried to reinert it but it got stuck. So yesterday I decided I'd better take a ride down to Fresno to Lowes Home building center and look into their selection of replacement Dead Bolts which I did. Fortunately I have a closure across the entrance driveway which also has a fairly heavy hardened steel chain that I wrap around two utility pole sections I have set in gravel about 3' deep which i very solid so that secured the front thank fully. I finally got the new DB installed this afternoon, and then a bit later I took the one front tire from my tractor along with the two trailer tires down to a local tire shop to have them check them out and inflate them and brought them back home too so now I can get the tractor rolled out of the little metal
building it's in after replacing the one front tire so I can pull off the starter to replace the bendix on it so I can get it started again as mowing season is starting again as the field grass is already about 6" tall. Mowing with the heavy duty Garden tractor with the tripple belly mower is sure a lot easier and faster than trying to do it with a weed eater. I'll be real glad to get it running again as it's a work horse to say the least with over 1,000 hours of use on it!

Then I received a bit of irritation from the local dept of motor vehicles along with my registration they again want me to have my mar smogged again this year again when I just had it done last year and they are suppose to skip a year and didn't.

I also have property taxes to pay too, anybody would think I have large money tree that produces all I can pick and more. Right, Good Luck!

End of my tale of Woo.

Prior Coffee Shop <

Afternoon All,

Changed the water filter in the refrigerator today and vacuumed the couches. In the world of MRR'ing I had a major achievement. I finally got the first signal head lit! I know you guys thought I would never get to this based on how long it took (19 hours). The soldering went well, and I tested the lights before placing in the target head and after gluing. I can't completely finish each head until the black styrene shows up (should of ordered it earlier). The real pain was fitting everything inside the head.

20161116_135112_zps97t27lck.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Your signals are taking shape and the diodes are looking good.

Don't get too down new guy. If it's C&O I'll usually find it somewhere. I'm glad you got your gondola shot though. I wished I had gotten a shot of that chessie caboose here in the Charleston yard. It's what I get for not taking an opportunity when I had the chance.

Justin: The Caboose shots are looking fairly good. The only thing I might suggest is trying to move in closer so your exposure is taken more of the caboose and less of the sky area as it causes the exposure to be too short to bring out the detail in the darker Caboose or gondola also.

Howdy .

I must have started talking about the surgery too soon. ... Thanks for all of the comments.... I leave for Nashville tomorrow for surgery Wednesday...... If all goes as expected, it will be a minor operation.

Thanks again.

Say Garry: Smoothing sailing Guy, see you back soon!

Prior Coffee Shop <

Currennt Coffee Shop >

Seeing videos and getting actual ops with a locomotive running backwards makes me feel better as I do shoves to the loadout and come back with my locomotive facing backwards as well. I sure do have some fun with my layout. Now if I can fix the track problems I'll be in business! Those short filler pieces I used give me headaches. I really wish the joiners would hold snugly to the rails.

Say Justin: Soldering would be your best bet, just don't have the temp of the soldering iron too hot if you can adjust it or don't hold it against the rail too much longer than needed to melt the solder as Chet & Toot: mentioned. It's always wise though to ensure your rail and joiner are free from any grime too ensure a good solder joint. It doesn't hurt to apply a bit of soldering paste to the items to be soldered to ensure the solder will flow readly when the right temp is attained.

Interesting....... So, how do you know the locomotive in the video was going "backwards"? I can't see close enough in the video to be sure of it. Some roads used to run long hood forward and some roads ran short hood forward. So how can we know which was which? Hmmmmm..... Here is a photo of the museum's 45 Tonner RG&E 1941 Beebee Station with our PC Caboose:

194102w.png

Was the photo taken of the front of the locomotive or the rear? Lets see what some of you say?

OK, here is a better photo of her. Now do you know which way is forward? Let me know what you think and why!

194103w.png

Say Ray: I was going along with the same reasoning as Curt but did notice the bright plate beyond the cab and thought that might be 'F' plate but couldn't tell clear enough to really know if that's what it was? Also I wasn't sure when they started using that designation.

That's why I stick to Steam Loco's as I don't have that problem but I do have the AGEIR's but don't think that was even a concern at that early stage of Diesels?

Did somebody say Danish?

latest

I'll take one! ;)

Looking at the picture I'd say somebody told a Yoke!!

Good morning Everybody!

it's 42 with 74% humidity in southeast Baltimore.

If you have not already I recommend you take a look at this thread Where is "the line"? Bruce started, it's very interesting and I would be interested to read what others think. It's worth the price of admission, but wait this place is free! This is why this is the best place on the web for trains! Well done Bruce!

have a great day Everybody!

Back