Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 72.
I just finished chatting with a friend of mine that works for Amtrak. He was engineer on a passenger train near Watrous, NM, that derailed after hitting a rock. He said he was just a little banged up and bruised, but other than that, none the worse for wear. None of the passemgers or other crew reported being injured, and other than the lead engine, everything remained upright and on the rails. Of course, he was in the lead engine...

Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 72.
I just finished chatting with a friend of mine that works for Amtrak. He was engineer on a passenger train near Watrous, NM, that derailed after hitting a rock. He said he was just a little banged up and bruised, but other than that, none the worse for wear. None of the passemgers or other crew reported being injured, and other than the lead engine, everything remained upright and on the rails. Of course, he was in the lead engine...

Surely he could have stopped the train when he saw the rock?

Or swerved?

No eggs, no Milk, no bread ... off to Wally World to beat the crowd!

I'll pick up some goodies for Flo and Francine this morning.

Good morning everybody ....

Toot ..... It looks like Penn Central tracks in Australia. ... Seriously however, I'm glad the train stayed on the rails and hopefully no injuries.

GARRY
- You sound just like my wife, "Go put some pants on and comb you hair"!
I think Louis likes you with all the Shiny Silver Locos he is posting? I think that is the first E-5 that I have seen - sure is pretty.

Sherrel ..... I'm glad Louis posted the photos. I recall riding behind E-5's on trips on the Twin City Zephyr. such as in the photo below.

Below is the Twin City Zephyr with E5A and E5B,

35719036236_276088bce2_b.jpg

Next you can see my E5A and E5B at Union Station.

35867737735_ac0ea65708_b.jpg

35867739295_fa75d3cb26_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from Timonium. I found Karl right where he said he would be. He appeared to be behaving himself. Chatted for a few minutes then had to resume spending my allowance.
Picked up a Tier 4 GEVO, BNSF and a couple dozen or so used vans and containers for the intermodal facility. That should bring it to about 300 or so.
I stopped in at MB Klein and was really surprised that they had remodeled the store to a 35' x 35' show room. Only three isle in the store to browse stuff. Anything else ya need, ya have to look it up on their dumb terminals, fill out an order slip then hand it to one of the MB Klein people who are walking around. That store has come a long way since their old store down on Gay St. in Baltimore.

Good Afternoon All,

Hot out today. We did the rescue. Both female skunks are about 3 years old and have had multiple previous homes. They appear healthy and a good weight. As expected though both are scared to death right now and both are curled up together in a open large dog crate. One is the traditional black & white and one is brown & white. MOH has decided we will keep them as long as they leave our eldest skunk alone (health issues) since she can't protect herself very well.

As we were coming back into town we got a call that our daughter had been hurt at Lowes (part time job). She had her left wrist pinned between to large rolls of something and the guy trying to help actually hurt her. She was sent to the local urgent care. I met her there (husband was with the kids). They did a exam and xray and decided it was a soft tissue injury. Now she has a brace on her left knee (previous) and left wrist. To shorten the story she is fine with some pain and light duty for 10 days.

Sherrel- It sounds like your winter is as long as a Florida winter. When the roof is on the building there is a slight angle to the rear. The front is 4.5 inches tall and the rear is 4 inches tall.

Terry- Glad your friend is OK.

Garry- Nice set of photos of the real thing and your models. Awesome scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Kind of slow around here today?
Curt and Ken - sounds as if you 2 had productive days. Glad to hear that Karl is enjoying himself too.

Made the trek to Wally's. Went for three things, came back with five bags full plus a couple drink cartons. Had a nice breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen and now watching the Florida/LSU game. I will head out to the MIL's house in a while where the Spousal Unit is on duty this weekend with her Mom. The three sisters take turns "babysitting" her - don't want her to fall and hurt herself; she is still slow moving after breaking her hip several years back.

The Wonded Warrior outfit just completed and handed the keys to a Marine Vet and family next door to her. The lot really left a bit to be a really desirable location and has sat vacant for the 28 years that I have been here, but after 30K worth of dozer work, they carved out a pretty nice pad with a circular drive in the front. In the middle of the circle is a 20-25 foot flagpoll and it surly is nice to look out there and see OUR flag out there every day where we used to look at a lot full of weeds.
I missed the "handing over" ceremony, but MOH got the grand tour and met the neighbor -( I need to walk over and meet him and his family as well) They had a short band, color guard, dignitaries, and all sorts of a party when they gave him the keys. My youngest daughter was there with her latest foster pup - an about a 1 year old little guy who is paralyzed in his rear legs after being hit by a car. The new house owner got a kick out of the little guy who came running down the driveway with his wheelset just as if he knew what was going on. I tell you - when he ran right up to the Marine - there were lots of tears in peoples eyes.

Well, I have to go find a tissue now! I Gotta go meet this guy!

Good Evening Everyone, from Gulf Shores, Alabama. 708 miles from home, in 10 hours. Ran into some rain around Mobile AL, which didn't delay us too much. Waiting out the hurricane in a motel about two miles inland from our intended destination. We have a reservation on the eighth floor of that condo. About 2:00 the condo leasing company called and said that because of the conditions they would refund today's rental fee if we chose to wait until tomorrow before checking in. Well, I'm no fool, the motel cost is about $100 less than what they will refund! And we're not on the eighth floor and we're about two miles from the potential storm surge. It's raining alternately lightly and heavily with winds about 25 mph. It is not really expected to make landfall for 3-4 more hours and the eye expected to hit maybe 100 miles west. We don't appear to be in any great danger as this storm has weakened a bit, and is quite fast moving and will be gone well before daybreak. We are however under a tornado warning right now because a waterspout was spotted about 8 miles east. They are however predicting 65-70 mph winds around midnight. No more than 3"-4" of rain is expected. I went to the local grocery store since every eating establishment is already closed in advance of a 8:00pm curfew. Picked up a couple of frozen dinners and a corkscrew for the wife's bottle! The local police department has closed the only bridge into the island. They are being housed/staged at our motel for the night. Parts of the coastal parts just west are under mandatory evacuation, affecting the other nine members of our group who chose to rent a big three story house with no elevator. The leasing agent found them an alternate place to stay, a three bedroom condo on the 18th floor of a building. Comfy huh? Problem is though, they goofed around grocery shopping and browsed a souvenir shop and arrived at the condo two minutes after the elevator was shut down!!! 18 stories of stairs! All of these people are 60+. So glad that we did separate accommodations.
OK, I have been outside under a canopy drinking beer with several other guests, BYOB though!
Need to go now, time to eat and consume another beer.

Willie

Willie .... I'm glad you arrived at your destination okay and you have a safe place for the first night. Also I'm glad you are not the one climbing stairs up 18 floors. You say you are in no danger, but you are having a tornado warning. I wonder why that is no danger. I hope the rest of your vacation goes well.

Curt. ... thanks for the remarks about my photos. I hope your daughters injury heals quickly.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
Looks like a slow day at the coffee shop yesterday, and continuing into this morning.

Good morning ... It rained all night, and it is forecasted to rain all day today. 70 F now. .... At least, I won't have outside honey-do's...

Willie: Have a safe trip and stay dry. We have a friend who has a condo along the shore in the path of the hurricane.

Ken: Sounds like you had a great time at the Timonium Show. I try to avoid taking any $$$ to shows because I buy on impulse for items I don't need.

Back from the cabin. I stained the rear deck railing on Wednesday when I arrived. Thank goodness I did since it rained everyday since. It been a real wet spring and summer with too much rainfall.

With the rainy days at the cabin I took time to reread parts of Playing With Trains, by Sam Posey. Always inspiring.

Hope to work on trains today before the Packer game at 3:25 and I watched the Wisconsin game last night and stayed up until 4:00 AM watching junk programs on cable.

That's all for now.

Greg

Good morning Everybody!

The Nationals got a gift yesterday, courtesy of Joe (the genius) Maddon. In case you did not see it I will give you all quick synopsis. In the bottom of the 8th inning with the Nationals down 3-1 to the Cubs, nationals' bats are still asleep only able to get 2 hits in the first 7 innings. Joe Maddon brings in right handed setup man, Carl Edwards to pitch. With the pitchers slot due up Dusty Baker calls on his best pinch hitter, lefty Adam Lind who, with an 0-2 count singles to left against the hard throwing Edwards.

Had the Cubs been playing a straight up defense and not been in an exaggerated shift the third basemen would have had a very good chance to catch the weak line drive. The ball was hit right where the third basemen should have been playing, but Joe Maddon is a genius.

Why shift against a very experienced hitter who sprays the ball all over the field and is facing a fireballer who throws 96mph+, Maddon is a genius. In addition Edwards is struggling with his command and leaves the ball out over the outside half of the plate. Making it easy to hit to left. Next up Trey Turner, his struggles continue as he strikes out on a pitch in the dirt. Edwards got the K but only threw one good pitch. Now comes left hander Brice Harper. Harper has also been struggling, but you have to respect arguably the best player in baseball.

The Cubs have a left hander ready and waiting in the pen, but Maddon, the genius, leaves the struggling right handed Edwards in to pitch to Harper. Harper feels they have no respect for him and digs in. He lays off 3 bad balls to work the count to 3-1. Now it's getting dangerous, do you give in to Harper or pitch around him? Harper is the tying run, there are no good options. Edwards throws a "get me over" curveball trying to fool Harper but he drives it out to tie the game. You won't see a player more focused then Harper was and now the Nationals and the home crowd are all fired up!!!

Maddon, the genius, leaves the struggling Edwards in and he walks the next batter. Finally they bring in the left handed Mike Montgomery to face left handed hitter, Daniel Murphy who promptly singles to left. Now the Nationals have the go ahead run at second and their most experienced hitter coming to bat, Ryan Zimmerman who has just had the best offensive season of his career.

Here comes another genius Joe Maddon decision; he leaves the left hander in to pitch to the right handed Ryan Zimmerman who homers just over the left field wall. Keep in mind Ben Zobrist the man who can play several positions and does is playing in left. I understand Maddon wanted his bat in the lineup but why was he not substituted with a better defensive replacement? A better defender might have made a play on Zimmerman's homerun that just made it over the fence. Zobrist mistimed it so badly he could not even try to jump to catch it.

It was 3-0 going into the 8th. The Nationals had not been hitting at all in the first 2 games. Why no defensive replacements with the heart of the Nationals lineup due up? Why disrespect the struggling, young and proud Brian Harper by letting the right hander pitch to him? Maddon gave the Nationals the chance to wakeup and Harper became the alarm clock.

Nationals shut down the Cubs in the 9th and go on to win 6-3, thank you Joe Maddon, genius.

I always think of Buck Showalters comment when asked about Joe Maddon's genius; Buck replied "it's easy to be a genius when you have so many #1 draft picks on your roster"

When Maddon first moved over to the National League. All winter the media would not stop talking about his "brilliant idea" of having the pitcher bat 8th. For over 100 years 99% of pitchers bat 9th only the "rare bird", a pitcher who is also a good hitter bats anywhere but 9th. It only took Maddon one month to realize why the pitcher bats 9th. I wonder what ever happened to that "great idea".

Most managers are not geniuses, they just give their great players the best chance to make them look like one.

The Cubs roster is so good they may once again over come Joe Maddon's genius and win the world series, but in close games his genius is exposed.

I love baseball!

Time to take my Mom to the grocery store, thank God I can.

Have a great day Everybody!

Back