Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Good news !

We are getting two grandsons today ! One of our 2 adult sons (We have 5 adult children) and his wife are adopting two boys. They have tried for a very long time to have children on their own, but could not. So, they have gone the adoption route with a state agency in NC which places kids in homes. It has been a very long process, and they already know these boys quite well. Boys are very excited to get a real home.

Yay !

Now we have 8 grand children .... 4 boys & 4 girls.

Coffee and doughnuts are on me !

PS ... Thanks, everybody for the comments on the brewery. Corey, I'll put the big six pack on my to do list.......

I'm back safe and sound!
Although we left at 10am, we got here a little after 5.
My legs feel like rubber after that ride back.
We were making super excellent time until we got around Columbus, GA.
Up until then I was thinking we'd get back around 3 or so.
We hit Atl. rush hour traffic in full force.
Bradley is completely determined to move down there now.
Man am I glad I decided to leave the a/c on here!
It's hotter here than it was down there.
We met several folks that are from right around here.
I'm happy to be back though.
E

I'm back safe and sound!
...Man am I glad I decided to leave the a/c on here!
Welcome back Eric. I wish I could convince MOH that we need to do that, but she always insists that "we're throwing away money" if we leave it running. So when we return, the A/C ends up running continuously for 12 hours just to bring the house back to a tolerable temperature.

Welcome back Eric. I wish I could convince MOH that we need to do that, but she always insists that "we're throwing away money" if we leave it running. So when we return, the A/C ends up running continuously for 12 hours just to bring the house back to a tolerable temperature.

Ken, I set the thermostat to 82 when we leave. I also unplug all the electronics, and turn off the water heater. The cable/satellite box is the largest consumer of electricity, after the air conditioner, It only draws 35 watts or so, but it is 35 watts, 24/7/365.

Ken, I set the thermostat to 82 when we leave. I also unplug all the electronics, and turn off the water heater. The cable/satellite box is the largest consumer of electricity, after the air conditioner, It only draws 35 watts or so, but it is 35 watts, 24/7/365.

Oh crap! I forgot all about turning off the water heater. I did mean to do that.
All the power in the train room was unplugged in case of a storm.
E.

I would have thought that the refrigerator and/or freezer would be right behind the a/c in power use?

Good afternoon fellow Engineers & Switchman,
Hi Flo & Francine, How is every thing here at Jeffrey's Dinner? What was that, Garry said coffee & doughnut's were on him! No fooling, what's left, Oh good, I always liked the crummy one's so I'll have one to start. Thanks Gary!

The weather here has been cooler that last couple of days which is great of course, a nice break for 100* temps. Lets see what WW says. Partly Cloudy, 83.3 °F - Feels Like 83 °F

Wind are from the SSE at 13.0 mph and 41% Hum-i-dity! Then slowly the temps are headed back up to the 90's, Dar n.

Dogs are some good friends. I'm just glad that mine are small dogs also. Try to sit and watch some TV and they want to be in a lap.

View attachment 51008 View attachment 51009

It's really a lot of fun trying to get remodeling work done with them around. Too many little supervisors. They have to be in the middle of everything.

Say Chet, Dog's are God spelled backwards and they are great but can be a pest too I guess but then that just shows you treat them good and they love you! When I first looked at your picture, a bit dark on my monitor I only saw two but then when I enhanced the picture I saw the third one.

View attachment 51016

Good morning. It's clear and 75.

Wow, I leave for a few days, and look at what happens!

Say Terry After the party Karl hosted at your place I hope we didn't make to big a mess? We did of course, clarify early, your trains were OFF Limits!

Seriously, I hope your feeling better!

Hello All,
I know I have been gone a couple of days. MOH and I have been working at our daughters house. Today the 3 of us put down 3 pallets of sod in her back yard. We still need about half of another. Well needless to say I am wore out and pretty stiff so that's it for tonight.
I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt, Yah, as we get a bit older we notice more what we do, myself included but we also need to be thankful we're still able to do all we that we do!

Not whisky, but here is my beer brewery. .... The photos iare a few years old, and the brewery is one of the oldest industries on my layout. Anybody thirsty tonight ?

brewery.jpg

sd9atbrewery.jpg

Say Garry, That's are nice looking Brewery & Ware House alright and the change in elevations adds a lot to it also.

Morning, fellas.
Garry, I could use a couple boxcar loads of Old Style at my distributor, these places are getting low.

015_zps335b6323.jpg

Terr in NW Wisconsin

Say Terry in Wisc., What you suggested about needing a couple of box cars full of, 'Heileman's Old Time' could be a interesting thing that we could do to introduce items from each others layouts so as to bring in new merchandise on our layouts and maybe even different cars or load that have been transfered. For a while, a few years ago, forum members would actually send cars around so they could be run on different members layouts.

Good news !
We are getting two grandsons today ! One of our 2 adult sons (We have 5 adult children) and his wife are adopting two boys. They have tried for a very long time to have children on their own, but could not. So, they have gone the adoption route with a state agency in NC which places kids in homes. It has been a very long process, and they already know these boys quite well. Boys are very excited to get a real home.

Yay !

Now we have 8 grand children .... 4 boys & 4 girls.

Coffee and doughnuts are on me !

PS ... Thanks, everybody for the comments on the brewery. Corey, I'll put the big six pack on my to do list.......

Thanks again Garry for the coffee and doughnuts, they were great. I just had enough for a tip anyway.

Say Eric, Did you get to see your Sister?

Take care all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought that the refrigerator and/or freezer would be right behind the a/c in power use?
No, the fridge uses more while it's running, but only runs maybe 25% of the time.
It's A/C
Cable box
Water heater
then fridge.

Say Eric, Did you get to see your Sister?

Yes, she met us the afternoon we got there. Met her husband and kids as well.
She got pics of together to "prove this sh..t really happened".. to funny.
Her husband is a really funny guy!
They stuck around a couple of hours and then headed back.

The adventure was quite a time.
On our drive into town, we passed a "Coyote Ugly" and Bradley decided immediately we're going there.
Golly mercy, what a time that was! It was just like in the movie. Except at this place, they didn't care who got up dancing on the bar.
There was no shortage of "future Mrs. Whites" around! :cool:
E

Good morning. 73*F and calm with a few clouds in central MD this morning.

Garry - I forgot to congratulate you earlier on your most recently-acquired grandkids! And kudos to your son and DIL as well, for going thru all the red tape and heartburn involved in adoptions these days.

Terry - if we know our house is going to be empty, we will shut off nearly every circuit breaker except for a few faux occupancy lights, refrigerator, and the sump pump.

Mil, that must have been a tough week for you indeed - I didn't notice any recent posts from you about new Milwawkee Road books or Alco road switchers...

MOH, my 16yr-old daughter and I will be out of town for the coming week at a place with no cell or internet access, so you won't be seeing any posts from me until maybe Friday evening. Those of you who desire to have a party at my house, you'll need to clear it first with my 25yr-old daughter and her husband who are temporarily living in the basement guest suite. Sayonara Fujiwara's!

Good morning, everyone !

Garry - I forgot to congratulate you earlier on your most recently-acquired grandkids! And kudos to your son and DIL as well, for going thru all the red tape and heartburn involved in adoptions these days.

Ken
... Thanks for commenting. Yes, there was a lot of red tape and also lots of hoops for them to jump through. The two brothers are now 8 and 10. Their early years were very difficult for them. Last two or three years, however, they had an outstanding couple be their foster parents, and the boys are doing well now. ....... I hope you have a good trip.

Eric
.... Welcome back from your trip. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

MILW
..... Long week for you, eh. Hope you are relaxing well this weekend.

David
.... I just removed messages from the in box. .......
Happy Model Railroading !

Good morning all. Need a cup right now.

Garry - congrats on the two new additions to your family. Maybe you'll have more model railroaders in your family.

Eric - welcome home.

A few years back we finally replaced our electric old water heater with a tankless water heater. No need to turn it off when we're gone. I think it probably paid for itself within two years with the savings in utility bills. We're not heating water when we're sleeping or out of the house and when you do need hot water, there's plenty. Shower as long as you want. We have had laundry going, fill a tub, dish washer going and the wife running water in the kitchen sink all at the same time. I would recommend a tankless water to anyone that has to replace a water heater. The initial price may be a bit high, but if you're planning to stay in your house, you'll see quite a drop in utility bills.

Painting and plumbing is on the menu for me today. I'm getting too old for all this work.

Have a good one.

Well, I should be clear of the Doctors for a couple of months. Do have a checkup with the oncologist in six weeks .. That will be half way done with the remaining one-half of the chemo pills. Sure hope they are doing the trick, but guess I won't know until tests are done at the end of treatment.

GARRY. My congrats on the grandkids as well. I have 7 .. all boys under the age of 9. Half are on the East Coast .. Don't get to see them as often as I would like. Spousal Unit has made a couple trips back east this year, but I have been tied down with this cancer BS.

KEN. Thanks for opening up your house to us while you are away. We will try and remember to turn out the lights when we leave. Enjoy your trip, drive safe!

CHET. Plumbing is so much fun now that I am older. Spousal Unit asked me the other day if it was time to change the filters - five of them - on the reverse osmosis unit under the sink. I looked at her and said, " Why, they are not leaking - are they?"

Eric. Looks like you found a hangout .. How far away is it?

Looks like another winner here today ...
Today
High 84 | Low 58 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 82.8 | Low 61.3 °F
Precip. 0 in

Good afternoon fellows,
Hi Francine, no Flo today, Oh she took the day off to take care of a few things. So your the only lady today then, well lots of tips for you. Oh, you told her you'd split them with her, that's very considerate of you. So I guess I'll have to leave $2.00 then!

It's a bit warm: Clear 91 °F - Feels Like 90 °F,

Winds are Variable at 9.9 mph,

Humidity is: 31%

Nothing much to report on the Railroad but I'll be checking to try and determine pricing on the highly detailed Samhongsa Heavy{?} 2-8-2 Mikado with dog house tender.

Garry, I sent you the PM.

Say Sherrel, Glad to hear that everything is progressing along good for you!

Me and Dr. Sis at the beach.
Maybe I should go back to wearing sunglasses. Amazing I was able to see anything being all squinty-eyed like I was.
IMG_0284.jpg

E.

Evening All,

Well I think all the work at our daughters house is finally complete and they have the For Sale sign up in their yard. Have been pretty busy getting things done before leaving tomorrow for Warrenton, VA (brothers house). We are leaving at 7 AM and driving straight through. I figure about 14-15 hours. We wanted to leave yesterday but our son had a class that went to 5 PM today. We will be back Monday the 20th. I will look in from time to time but probably not post.

Big E- Glad you had a good vacation.

Garry- Congrats on the 2 new grand children. I remember what my daughter and husband had to go through when they adopted.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back