Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Really? I've never heard of that. I just figured it was a hard-coded limitation in the forum software.
1024 happens to be one of those favorite numbers in computer science.
I have a similar problem with the PM system on this forum. If there are too many PMs exchanged, suddenly the PM tree looks like a telephone pole, with a word, or sometimes even a single letter in a line of text. Then another letter the next line down.

Thanks for the explanation, TERRY ... I was just curious because of the thread, "Building the Pinacle Creek" which is over 300 pages and 3300 posts.

Um, Toot, Ima startin to wonder about you! Been lookin at Caitlyn Jenner have ya?:rolleyes:

What red-blooded.......................could resist this

images[4] (3).jpg

Good morning from the magic land of Milwaukee Road, where she still exist and Conrail, never happened... ;):D
Wish you all a peaceful Sunday...

Good morning from the magic land of Milwaukee Road, where she still exist and Conrail, never happened... ;):D
Wish you all a peaceful Sunday...
If it hadn't been for Penn Central and Conrail, I would never have had my first cab ride, and never witnessed my first (and only) standing derailment.

Mawnin y'all. Already at 78 , going up to low 90's. Rain not in forecast.

Wish y'all a pleasant Sunday.

Phil

Oh ... I think I've seen too much of the Jenner stuff elsewhere. ... Enough of that, please.

David ... Thanks for all the comments regarding the coke oven as well as the other steel mill pictures. The Walthers blast furnace is a huge structure and is way too high for most photos. I briefly worked at a big steel mill near Detroit, and decided to include one when Walthers first released it steel mill kits.

Phil .... I guess my confusion regarding your surgery was because you suggest people get colonoscopies. I assume now you are well connected. ;)

It has already been about a half of a year since Jeffrey passed away. I still miss seeing his posts.

I'm still weathering freight cars, but I am getting tired of the mess on my worktable. So I'm almost done doing that for awhile. Still have some gons, a flat car and some boxcars before I clean up the mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, Happy Sunday.

Garry: They are large structures. Correct me if I misunderstood, but did you say you used two rolling mill kits to do your rolling mill? Were they from the first issue or Walthers subsequent release of the larger rolling mill. In any event, you have captured the essence of a large Steel Mill. It looks right!

Anecdotal story, Back in 1982 or 1983, Conrail was testing a fuel saver system made by Harmon Electronics, on GP40s and SD40s. I had to ride an "Ore" train from South Philly to Saucon PA (Bethlehem Steel), "instructing" the engineer on the operation of the device. Enroute, shortly after dark, we passed the Allen Wood Steel Works, in Phoenixville, PA. ( Rollin Geib's UMP RR). The Coke ovens were cooking at full blast. The sight was surreal, it looked like passing the "Gates of Hell", and the ground hugging smoke permeated the engine cab. That smoke was so potent, we choked and coughed half way to Reading, and we were running past there at 30mph). Needless to say, you could duplicate the fire glow with electronics, but I don't know how or if you would even want to duplicate the smoke.

David: The Homosote boards were bough for the construction of another layout built prior to the one I am currently removing. I wisely saved them, storing them up on the rafters of my garage, instead of tossing them into a dumpster with a lot of other junk. As it looks now, I will be able to salvage most of the surviving L girder bench work, so I will only need a few ¾" handy-panels and a hollow core door, plus a few feet of 1"x4" to complete the base layout.

The layout is being designed similar to a modular layout, as I fully intend to take it with me when we decide to move. It will definitely be portable. It will be operations oriented, and (at least for now), point to point, with minimal staging.

So fat, it's a sunny day. If that holds, I'll grill burgers later in the afternoon.

David ... There is a small traveling crane with the clamshells. It is used to clean up spilled coke at the coke oven. The ugly little crane was made from a European kit (Piko). There are machines I scatch built travleing on the coke oven. One is the lory at the top to place coal into the ovens. Another is not in the pictures behind the oven which pushes coke out of the ovens. The one on the front side loads the cars.

WJLI26 ... All of my Walthers steel mill kits were from their first release. ... The rolling mill is two kits end-to-end. I have gons of structural steel hauled from there. ... I wanted to do more, but I was already exceeding allocated layout area. The steel mill is one of the first sections I built for the layout. (I build one section at a time.) .... Your anecdotal story was very interesting. It is not likely I will simulate smoke at the coke oven. My smoke detectors would be too loud. LOL. ... I use the Baldwin switches to simulate movements through the steel mill. .... Coke oven receives coal and ships coke to blast furnace. ... Blast furnace receives coke, ore, and stone, and it ships molten iron, slag, and ash. ... Electric furnace receives molten iron and scrap steel, and it ships steel slabs. .... Rolling mill receives steel slabs and ships structural steel. ..... It is the basic precess simulated by the Walthers kits. I added some extra stuff but not a lot.

Also, the first part of my layout to be converted to DCC was the steel mill. The three Baldwin switchers and an EMD-40 were the first locomotives with decoders on the layout.

Heck of way to earn $10 on a blistering Sunday afternoon.
If you are squeamish or about to have supper - read no further.....
You have been warned.

My neighbor's aunt asked to talk to me. Usually, that means she wants to borrow money that I don't have.
Not so today. A small creature, cat or opossum likely, had crawled up into her engine compartment.
Need I say anymore? Her strapping young nephews couldn't handle it at all. Both went inside barfing.
I admit, it was rather rough but I got it taken care of.
I didn't want to mess it either to be honest but she kept begging and offered me $10.
Of course it would have to happen on the hottest day of the year thus far.
Good thing I wasn't planning on eating that steak I have marinating since yesterday any time early this evening.
It just one of those smells that once it gets in your nose it doesn't leave anytime soon.
I'm not all that tough when it comes to that kind thing either but all these jokes were just worthless.
Thank God I was able to dig it all out with a stick and not have to put hands on it.
E.

Good evening. It was a quiet afternoon here at world headquarters of the ES&BM, so I thought I'd check the status of a few orders, so I know when to stand at my mailbox with a shotgun. June first, I bought a sound decoder through Ebay. It isn't here yet, so I checked the ETA, to make sure my newest mailbox buddies hand't gotten hold of it.
Nope.
It isn't supposed to ship out until the 12th. From New York.
I don't remember seeing in the shipping description it was supposed to take that long, but at least that means it hasn't been stolen.

Good afternoon fellow, 'Gandy Dancers and Spike Pounder's',
Hello Flo, it seems your the only one here this morning, Oh, there's Terry's new gall with her long legs. What's her name anyway? I just have some coffee, some toast and Apricot jam if you have some, oh good, an egg and sausage paddy. Thanks.

Lets see what WW has to say about the weather? It's very Clear with Blue skys, it's 92.5 °F - Feels Like 90 °F, Winds are from the SW at 5.3 mph.

Say Garry:
Oh ... I think I've seen too much of the Jenner stuff elsewhere. ...Enough of that, please.
I took a look, I agree.... move on!

David ... Thanks for all the comments regarding the coke oven as well as the other steel mill pictures. The Walthers blast furnace is a huge structure and is way too high for most photos. I briefly worked at a big steel mill near Detroit, and decided to include one when Walthers first released it steel mill kits.

Thanks for the info, I'm not a familiar as you are so any info is appreciated. It does look like a large structure alright.

Phil .... I guess my confusion regarding your surgery was because you suggest people get colonoscopies. I assume now you are well connected. ;)

Garry - I think your trying to give Toot competition? LoL

It has already been about a half of a year since Jeffrey passed away. I still miss seeing his posts.

I'm still weathering freight cars, but I am getting tired of the mess on my worktable. So I'm almost done doing that for awhile. Still have some gons, a flat car and some boxcars before I clean up the mess.

Yes, Jeffrey was a colorful guy for sure! I also miss him, he died at far too young an age.
Speaking of missing guys, whatever happened to bill and I had another friend on here Zoe who was up in BC and he's fairly young too and I haven't heard from him in quite a while. The last time was when he sent me a disk of his prior layout showing his trains running.

Say WJLI:
Good morning, Happy Sunday.

Garry: They are large structures. Correct me if I misunderstood, but did you say you used two rolling mill kits to do your rolling mill? Were they from the first issue or Walthers subsequent release of the larger rolling mill. In any event, you have captured the essence of a large Steel Mill. It looks right!

Anecdotal story, Back in 1982 or 1983, Conrail was testing a fuel saver system made by Harmon Electronics, on GP40s and SD40s. I had to ride an "Ore" train from South Philly to Saucon PA (Bethlehem Steel), "instructing" the engineer on the operation of the device. Enroute, shortly after dark, we passed the Allen Wood Steel Works, in Phoenixville, PA. ( Rollin Geib's UMP RR). The Coke ovens were cooking at full blast. The sight was surreal, it looked like passing the "Gates of Hell", and the ground hugging smoke permeated the engine cab. That smoke was so potent, we choked and coughed half way to Reading, and we were running past there at 30mph). Needless to say, you could duplicate the fire glow with electronics, but I don't know how or if you would even want to duplicate the smoke.

That's a very interesting story alright, it sure gives all of us, like myself, a perspective of things we would never otherwise have experienced.

David: The Homosote boards were bough for the construction of another layout built prior to the one I am currently removing. I wisely saved them, storing them up on the rafters of my garage, instead of tossing them into a dumpster with a lot of other junk. As it looks now, I will be able to salvage most of the surviving L girder bench work, so I will only need a few ¾" handy-panels and a hollow core door, plus a few feet of 1"x4" to complete the base layout.

Yes, many of the prior pieces from a former layout can be utilized. Also remember that if you happen to have an actual lumber yard anywhere near by they usually have a scrap box and all of the stuff in it is free as they can't legally sell anything that isn't a full length of whatever. Even a half sheet of plywood is up for grabs for free!

The layout is being designed similar to a modular layout, as I fully intend to take it with me when we decide to move. It will definitely be portable. It will be operations oriented, and (at least for now), point to point, with minimal staging.

I started my current layout to also be modular but that Idea was short lived as could see where I wasn't going to be able to fit in half of what I planned if it was going to be modular.

So far, it's a sunny day. If that holds, I'll grill burgers later in the afternoon.

Hope the burger are good, they generally are!

David ... There is a small traveling crane with the clamshells. It is used to clean up spilled coke at the coke oven. The ugly little crane was made from a European kit (Piko). There are machines I scatch built travleing on the coke oven. One is the lory at the top to place coal into the ovens. Another is not in the pictures behind the oven which pushes coke out of the ovens. The one on the front side loads the cars.

WJLI26 ... All of my Walthers steel mill kits were from their first release. ... The rolling mill is two kits end-to-end. I have gons of structural steel hauled from there. ... I wanted to do more, but I was already exceeding allocated layout area. The steel mill is one of the first sections I built for the layout. (I build one section at a time.) .... Your anecdotal story was very interesting. It is not likely I will simulate smoke at the coke oven. My smoke detectors would be too loud. LOL. ... I use the Baldwin switches to simulate movements through the steel mill. .... Coke oven receives coal and ships coke to blast furnace. ... Blast furnace receives coke, ore, and stone, and it ships molten iron, slag, and ash. ... Electric furnace receives molten iron and scrap steel, and it ships steel slabs. .... Rolling mill receives steel slabs and ships structural steel. ..... It is the basic precess simulated by the Walthers kits. I added some extra stuff but not a lot.

Say Garry, Thanks for the detailed explanation of the workings of a steel mill I've never really checked into it before, it's fairly involved. As far as your smoke detectors going off if you simulated the foul smelling smoke from the coke ovens, just remove the batteries from them! Problem solved! LoL

Also, the first part of my layout to be converted to DCC was the steel mill. The three Baldwin switchers and an EMD-40 were the first locomotives with decoders on the layout.

Say Terry:
If it hadn't been for Penn Central and Conrail, I would never have had my first cab ride, and never witnessed my first (and only) standing derailment.

Your statement piques my interest, 'a standing derailment'? Exactly what took place, it's hard for me to understand what your referring too?

Yes, they have.

That's also interesting to know that Atlas bought out branch line trains Blueprint series!

I hope all have a good day.

Back