Running Bear's August 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!

52F headed up to 75F under blue sky's. Can't complain about the weather.

I can complain about ordering Chinese made junk sold on Amazon. I'm returning the double-barrel desk lamp I bought through Amazon, intended for the modelling desk; it just don't work at all. No power gets to the lamp switch. - I'm sad about that, because I like the style of light with two adjustable LED's. I like lots of light when I'm modelling.

Willie - I did notice you had made a layout thread and that's a wonderful thing. - I've thought about doing the same. However, a desire to spend less time on the computer and more time committed to animated activities kinda prevents a dedicated thread. That's why I like the coffee shop. It's fast and easy, and I don't need to show-up everyday.

Here's a series of photos I took of a box car in the local staging area, just the other day.
I like finding the older rolling stock, but, I very much dislike the after-market art work that criminals might think is good advertising. Sadly, it seems near impossible to find an older boxcar that don't have an application of this ugly vandalism.
View attachment 172329
View attachment 172330View attachment 172331
View attachment 172332
View attachment 172333
View attachment 172334

That's all I have time for today. I need to make tracks on other required events. Have a great day!!
Looks like the car end will stop the toe of your foot from finding good purchase on the ladder. (Second rung on the end.) As for the graffiti I just wish I could read it and understand what it all means. It sure messes up a car too. Good clear pictures. Thanks.

I was up this evening trying to fix a problem with the window I put in. Even though it looked like it was spaced right (inset into the window buck -- this is not a nail flange type window but an insert window with anchor brackets) -- it was sticking out about 3/8" too far when I went around to seal the front. So I unscrewed all the brackets and used an oscillating saw to cut the sealant but by then it was dark and it didn't want to move and so I figured better to wait for tomorrow when I can see. I may have to actually cut/pull the sealant out instead of just cutting through it. I may truy and push the window out and clean it up before pulling it back in. We'l see.

Also was trying, with the help of my sone, to route all the 3.25" flexible ducting for the Zehnder mechanical air ventilation system. Each major room (living room/kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, workout room, etc) has either a supply, exhaust, or both and depending on how much airflow they want, uses 1, 2, or 3 of these ducts to a single register. We were trying to figure how to route these ducts through the floor joists within the "rules" for putting holes in floor joists. The problem we were running into is that grouping them together as if they were one big hole or rectangle, the hole has to be far enough away from the supported edge as far as I can tell, that we can only put one such hole through based on the span length. It will be interesting to see how we get it all routed in the end.

I also spent time on the phone going over how the Zehnder is supposed to be installed/set-up wth the various mufflers, filters, manifolds, etc. installed on it.

I took this pic tonight. The room inside the framing here is the train room.

IMG_3122.jpeg

I was up this evening trying to fix a problem with the window I put in. Even though it looked like it was spaced right (inset into the window buck -- this is not a nail flange type window but an insert window with anchor brackets) -- it was sticking out about 3/8" too far when I went around to seal the front. So I unscrewed all the brackets and used an oscillating saw to cut the sealant but by then it was dark and it didn't want to move and so I figured better to wait for tomorrow when I can see. I may have to actually cut/pull the sealant out instead of just cutting through it. I may truy and push the window out and clean it up before pulling it back in. We'll see.

Also was trying, with the help of my son, to route all the 3.25" flexible ducting for the Zehnder mechanical air ventilation system. Each major room (living room/kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, workout room, etc) has either a supply, exhaust, or both and depending on how much airflow they want, uses 1, 2, or 3 of these ducts to a single register. We were trying to figure how to route these ducts through the floor joists within the "rules" for putting holes in floor joists. The problem we were running into is that grouping them together as if they were one big hole or rectangle, the hole has to be far enough away from the supported edge as far as I can tell, that we can only put one such hole through based on the span length. It will be interesting to see how we get it all routed in the end.

I also spent time on the phone going over how the Zehnder is supposed to be installed/set-up wth the various mufflers, filters, manifolds, etc. installed on it.

View attachment 172430

I was up this evening trying to fix a problem with the window I put in. Even though it looked like it was spaced right (inset into the window buck -- this is not a nail flange type window but an insert window with anchor brackets) -- it was sticking out about 3/8" too far when I went around to seal the front. So I unscrewed all the brackets and used an oscillating saw to cut the sealant but by then it was dark and it didn't want to move and so I figured better to wait for tomorrow when I can see. I may have to actually cut/pull the sealant out instead of just cutting through it. I may truy and push the window out and clean it up before pulling it back in. We'l see.

Also was trying, with the help of my sone, to route all the 3.25" flexible ducting for the Zehnder mechanical air ventilation system. Each major room (living room/kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, workout room, etc) has either a supply, exhaust, or both and depending on how much airflow they want, uses 1, 2, or 3 of these ducts to a single register. We were trying to figure how to route these ducts through the floor joists within the "rules" for putting holes in floor joists. The problem we were running into is that grouping them together as if they were one big hole or rectangle, the hole has to be far enough away from the supported edge as far as I can tell, that we can only put one such hole through based on the span length. It will be interesting to see how we get it all routed in the end.

View attachment 172430
Wow! That's some train room. Looks bigger than my whole house. Ha! The dog woke me up to go out at 2: AM so I'm looking through your post. Changed her dog food today so I suppose this will last a day or two. I see you're from Utah in your avatar. Is it cool out there now or still hot? I'm thinking about moving to a higher elevation away from the heat of Florida.

Good morning!

52F headed up to 75F under blue sky's. Can't complain about the weather.

I can complain about ordering Chinese made junk sold on Amazon. I'm returning the double-barrel desk lamp I bought through Amazon, intended for the modelling desk; it just don't work at all. No power gets to the lamp switch. - I'm sad about that, because I like the style of light with two adjustable LED's. I like lots of light when I'm modelling.

Willie - I did notice you had made a layout thread and that's a wonderful thing. - I've thought about doing the same. However, a desire to spend less time on the computer and more time committed to animated activities kinda prevents a dedicated thread. That's why I like the coffee shop. It's fast and easy, and I don't need to show-up everyday.

Here's a series of photos I took of a box car in the local staging area, just the other day.
I like finding the older rolling stock, but, I very much dislike the after-market art work that criminals might think is good advertising. Sadly, it seems near impossible to find an older boxcar that don't have an application of this ugly vandalism.
View attachment 172329
View attachment 172330View attachment 172331
View attachment 172332
View attachment 172333
View attachment 172334

That's all I have time for today. I need to make tracks on other required events. Have a great day!!
I agree with you and TLOC
I admire some of the graffitti although i agree it is vandalism
but at the point that so much is defaced it is not the odd extraordinary but actually a pain, plus the fear is once they have all the rolling stock what will they go after next, cars?
TLOCs work though is pure artistry as he reflects the phenomenon and many people want a realistic reflection. it lifts the model and weathering plus the despised grafitti bring it into the fooled you once fooled you every time which is hard to achieve and thus to be applauded and valued.
In time his work may even become collectors pieces in their own right.
I rather fancy he could be our own miniature Banksy, grins.

but at the point that so much is defaced it is not the odd extraordinary but actually a pain, plus the fear is once they have all the rolling stock what will they go after next, cars?
TLOCs work though is pure artistry as he reflects the phenomenon and many people want a realistic reflection. it lifts the model and weathering plus the despised grafitti bring it into the fooled you once fooled you every time which is hard to achieve and thus to be applauded and valued.
I rather fancy he could be our own miniature Banksy,

I thought they had guards in the yards, or at least activity.
Jim - They pretty much do have guards. Graffiti artists are not quite as common here as in some areas. A common practice at the BNSF Alliance Yard near me is for yard hostlers to make up a train and then move it, power and all, out to a passing siding north of the yard. There's several of them in the 20 mile stretch north to where I usually train watch. This is all farmland. They'll park them for up to half a day , all facing north, and transport crews out in the van when they're ready. At a certain point in time, all of the southbound trains pass by and they start moving the northbounds out sequentially heading for Oklahoma City. Meanwhile they are doing the same with southbounds out of OKC and just have 3-4 traveling in the same direction, spaced 10-15 minutes apart, before repeating the process.
So a train might sit on the siding 5-6 hours unattended. There's a state highway less than 100' to one side, thus giving taggers ample time if they choose to indulge. Obviously they would tag on the opposite side from the highway.

I rather fancy he could be our own miniature Banksy, grins.
Thanks Jaz, but you go too far. I have fun with the weathering. That’s my only goal. The day it doesn’t stay fun, is the day i stop doing it.

Grafitti is a sign of the times and is here to stay whether we like it or not. Many grafitti artists are very good (imo). I wish they would do it legally.

Modelling grafitti is also an art. It is not everywhere. Certain timeframes there would be a certain kind of grafitti. Here in the U.K., in the 1960s/70s, 'Kilroy was 'ere' in many places, but often not to be seen in the open.

Only later did the 'proper grafitti' appear. Most was not good at all and often defaced a wall or building. Although I do not agree with it, some of it nowadays is very good.

Choose your place for grafitti wisely and do not have a lot. Remember 'see what you see and not what you thought you saw'. One real inch is eighty seven HO inches.

David

Last edited:
I have always wondered, how the graffiti "artist" get the time and access to do their thing. I thought they had guards in the yards, or at least activity.
I know Willie responded and we have some of that train sitting ready to go here in parts of WIsconsin. Lots of sidings out in the boonies waiting for clearance to move on.

I call them vandal/artists (V/A’s).

My take on it and this is a repeat of what I have written before. The Railroads don‘t care as long as the reporting marks are readable! Heck, many of the newly produced rail cars (especially the white reefers of ARMN/UP have the reporting marks above reachable length) have moved the reporting marks and numbers high up on the car. If that’s not an invitation what is, beside supplying a pure white canvas that they also do?

I have over the last 15 years gone and chased trains, camera and tripod in hand. Staying on public property I can’t count how many RR police but more so the MOW guys questioning my photography. Here in the Madison area we have 1 rail yard of the WSOR behind the old Oscar Meyer plant. From the road, public road and sidewalk I have been questioned when 100’ away in CLEAR SIGHT vandal/artists are doing graffiti on a car. I had one RR cop even tell me I was more dangerous to the RR then the V/A was. I had another say to me after he politely asked me to move along that he didn’t see anybody doing a rail car maybe 200’+ away from where we were talking on again public property. I had one Milwaukee cop stop and flip his lights on while he talked to me, again on public property because the CP cops had called them in.

There are exceptions. Greg@mnRR a member here who passed a few years ago told me a few places about in the Milwaukee to watch trains. He also encouraged my modeling graffiti. He hated it being his job was running one of the high end malls in Wisconsin and it was a constant headache for him and his maintenance crews. UP’s Butler yard in Milwaukee was a huge UP engine and Crew change spot (not since Covid though). He had a spot to drive to and watch trains, but he said DON’T get out of the car. Take pictures from the car but if you get out they will question and probably detain you. UP‘s staging yard for the Oak Creek generating station in Oak Creek was one were 5 mile road used to cross the tracks. They closed the road crossing and added a cul de sac and guard rails. Many folks railfan the coal trains not 20’ from the guard rail. But, don’t even think of sitting on the guard rail as it’s clearly marked UP property. The UP cops are polite and give you a warning but I have seen guys detained and handcuffed and given to the locals.

So, IMOO, the V/A’s have time because most of the RR‘s don‘t care.

I know a few of the V/A’s by real name. Very few have been arrested and the fines are minor and even though it may cost thousands of $ to repaint a railcar car, none have been charged as felons. I know a few though who had been arrested by real cops for putting graffiti on public government buildings. That’s a different story and can be costly in time served behind bars, $ amounts and criminal records. As it should be.

Again, why would you deface a car? I’m 70 and never in my life have I ever thought of adding graffiti to a rail car that wasn’t HO or O Scale. Times are different but every generation says that about the following generation, etc…

There is a YouTube content provider who does graffiti on any scale car but he started with N. His channel is THEY MAKE IT LIKE THAT. He tells modelers to just try it because not all graffiti artists are good. As bad as you might make yours, there maybe a prototype for it!

Good morning from the south deck in So. Central WIsconsin. A nice though humid beginning to the day. 69f degrees now, high 80’s again later with slight breezes and super clear skies. It was 61 when I started my 3 mile neighborhood walk at 5:30. Been on the deck since enjoying a diet Cherry Pepsi.

At noon today the house inspector will check out the temporary sink and counter top in the kitchen. He will issue the house occupancy permit and we can move in to live! The temporary sink and counter top was his suggestion as he will be on vacation when our sink and area counter top would be installed. The correct sink and counter top will qualify as a remodel and does not need an inspection. Finally getting some closure on the new place. We both are excited and thrilled. Lots of work on our end to get these accomplished to get to this point. In May, we were told maybe October as so many things were getting difficult as I have written all year. But, the end is near…

Until she wants to do it again!

An UW Alumni hockey game for charity tonight at 6 I have been roped into going with the family. Hopefully it will be fun. Dinner out of course with Terry and I picking up the tab. The grandson is excited the granddaughter not really…

Last evening Terry and I stopped for excellent gyros prior to the musical SIX. A few months ago in Vegas we saw the production there and it was SO SO GOOD. Last night the Broadway touring group I thought was even better and we had a great time! 80 minutes of non stop action. Of the 8 season subscription shows we saw this season, this was by far the best.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Clear and an ungodly 84° out on the back porch. Only expecting 106° today after 110° yesterday for a short time. Pool temperature has risen to 92°, but due to the eye surgery, I cannot get into it until after Labor Day. It did drop to 87° overnight.

The ophthalmologist yesterday was pleased with his work, even though I still had blurriness. It did go away finally soon after my nap after lunch. Yesterday's eye test showed 20/30 vision in the right eye; I was told that it will improve within the next month. Colors are certainly brighter now. I experienced no pain, just some mild discomfort which is relieved with over the counter eyedrops. I have three prescription ones that I have to take as well for ??? I forgot to ask but I'm returning to see him on Tuesday. Then we do the other eye on Wednesday the 16th. The eye patch at night is a hassle that I will live through.

Went on the weekly grocery trek after the doctor visit. Since it was an hour earlier than normal, there were no crowds or motorized shopping carts in my way. It's been a nerve-wracking two days with my wife driving. She's safe, but takes quaint routes to get places and does not drive as aggressively as I like. That ends today, but I'm not planning on leaving the house anytime until next Tuesday. She's leaving this weekend to take the granddog home. Too hot yesterday to even consider any kind of outdoor chores, but I'll do some light ones this morning.

I did spend a short time out in the train shed yesterday. Mostly I ran trains, but I did take the time to build and add a fence between the beer distributor and motorcycle repair shop. I also weathered it a bit using weathering powders.
IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0107 (2).JPG

I also added stripes to the parking area.
IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

I finished up by getting the Woodland Scenics Weeds ready to start adding to this fence and the one installed last week by the hardware store.

Jaz - Good to see you again. Don't be such a stranger.
David - That looks like graffiti on the cruise ship.

Today is International Beer Day. I'll hoist one for you if you don't indulge.
Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Morning from the funny farm where it is 61f degrees and headed for 90f later with clear sunny skies.
FLO, coffee please with a breakfast sandwich!

I guess that I am too much "old school". As far as I am concerned the graffiti looks sh%#Y and the ships look clownish and ridiculous!

That's just my opinion which along with $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee most places!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back