Running Bear's August 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason our roof leaked into the kitchen cabinets the last 2 heavy rains storms. I removed some soffit panels to get a better look. I thought I fixed the problem by adding an additional downspout. I guess not. I had a friend of mine I play golf with to come down and take a look. I think we found the problem. He just finished some work for the CEO of BlackRock Securities. I asked how much to redo the whole kitchen. He makes all his own cabinets etc. in his shop. He said 20K, I told him to start measuring.
Swal

Afternoon All,

Started out the day feeling sluggish because of a poor sleep. After getting started I had a bunch of chores to do thankfully inside. Looking at the pond today I'm satisfied with the water aspect of the project, even MOH gave it a thumbs up. I'll take a photo when it's done. The fencing did come in today, so I'll start painting it tomorrow. We're going out to supper tonight, but I don't know where yet.

I watched a movie with Eddie Murphy yesterday. I usually don't like him, but this was a great movie about what it means being family. The movie is called "Mr. Church". I highly recommend it. Sorry no trains.

Mac- Great photos.

Joe- Nice shot. Back when Mom was sick, she would watch Midsomer Murders. I never liked British TV (except Benny Hill :)}, but I have to admit over the 8 months I got hooked on British detective shows, I even subscribed to Acorn TV. It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm watching along with Mom.

David- Nice scenes. Great father joke.

Troy- I hope the skunk is the hero or at least a good guy or gal.

I hope everyone has a good night.

900 E 33rd Street, Memorial Stadium - Baltimore, Md. circa 1969
1691092976344.png

Troy- I hope the skunk is the hero or at least a good guy or gal.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Sorry... there's always the annoying busybody skunk whose into everyone else's business. And the person she gets attached to just amplifies those traits.

I'll see if I can work in a nice skunk to set the record straight.

I thought about using a s sneeke.

But, since I have a sneeke phobia you'll never find one in any of my books. And if I did put one in, then sneeke people would get mad at me for making the sneeke into a meanie....

But, since I have a sneeke phobia you'll never find one in any of my books. And if I did put one in, then sneeke people would get mad at me for making the sneeke into a meanie....
I would imagine somebody will always be upset.

“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.” – Abraham Lincoln

Yesterday I posted a thread about 2 rail birds sitting at the finish line at Saratoga Race Course. Watching again today I see they moved apart a few feet. I guess their fake. I don't know why the track would position 2 fake birds at the finish line? In race one I tried to see if they were there before any races were run but got blocked out by the odds info. They were there at the finish line of the 7th race though but a few feet apart from yesterday.
Swal

saratoga_birds.JPG

SARATOGA_08_03_23_01.JPG

SARATOGA_08_03_23.JPG

Yesterday I posted a thread about 2 rail birds sitting at the finish line at Saratoga Race Course. Watching again today I see they moved apart a few feet. I guess their fake. I don't know why the track would position 2 fake birds at the finish line? In race one I tried to see if they were there before any races were run but got blocked out by the odds info. They were there at the finish line of the 7th race though but a few feet apart from yesterday.
Swal

View attachment 172422
View attachment 172423

View attachment 172424
are they potentially using decoy Canada geese to keep other birds away from that area?

Flaherty gets his first win as an Oriole!

Due to an extended pair of naps today I'm just now going to bed. Have a good night, Everybody!

Chad, speaking of naps, take one any chance you get!

1691104839677.png

What could have been?!

Well, howdy there internet peeps. And those with humidity.

It's Troy again.

Got almost a thousand words in this morning to start book 3 in the latest series. Hit a wall as I realized I was about to reveal the MacGuffin for the book. I kind know what it is, but not enough to write about it.

So, I'm taking a break and reached out to a friend to bounce ideas off. She's an author and writes sea thrillers. This one is set on a cruise ship on Lake Erie. Hopefully she'll have time to work me through my brain gas on it.

In the meantime, made it to the grocery, and stopped by Menards for some Bone Meal for the peppers. Even if it's not going to help this year, she can start amending the soil for next year. I asked several times since she got these auto-watering garden boxes, and she swears the manufacturer says to reuse the soil, but add their fertilizer.

It's not my hobby, so I just pass on the info, and let her make the decisions.

View attachment 172336

In other news, I finally got around to cleaning out the humidifiers from last winter. We do have the AprilAire on board the furnace, but Wife needs one in her office and one in the bedroom. She gets nosebleeds easily, especially in winter. The little white one goes to her mother for the senior apartment. It doesn't take much to get the place up a few points in the humid scale.

And I found this humdinger on the book of faces. I totally agree. Never tried them. No desire to. Looks gross no matter what.

View attachment 172337
Sure wasn't me but I've eaten way more than my share in my life. MMMMMM good!

Back when Mom was sick, she would watch Midsomer Murders. I never liked British TV (except Benny Hill :)}, but I have to admit over the 8 months I got hooked on British detective shows, I even subscribed to Acorn TV. It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm watching along with Mom
Curt: They do grow on ya, don't they? Midsomer Murders has been in production for a very long time, average of three to four murders per episode. Some, very creative and diabolical. Part of the attraction, is that the series exposes the dark side of small town life. I think the longevity is due to the ability of the writers / producers to creatively blend numerous sub plots into each episode. On a personal note, it's something special to associate the program with memories of your mother. She is watching through your eyes.

71°, cloudy with a 30% chance of rain overnight. Tomorrow, 84°, cloudy, 50% chance of rain.

After 38 years of relative obscurity, our HOA is erupting into a royal pain in the ass. They are trying to restrict parking to two cars / household. They are mailing out two parking permit tags to each household... Wait until the 💩 hits the fan, when they try to enforce it. :rolleyes: This is not a gated community, it is a subdivision of free standing single family homes, property owners own to the curb and are responsible for maintaining their own exterior property, including driveways and sidewalks. The township owns and maintains the streets, including streetlights, which are maintained by the power utility. All the HOA is responsible for is the storm drainage basins and the unbuildable wetlands, and the maintenance thereof. That's what our annual fee is for.

Really doesn't bother me, we currently have 1 car, kept inside the garage. I have no intention of displaying the tags, or in any other way co-operating with the board. I'll pay the annual fee, until I move on. The ones impacted by this are the two + car families with older kids who have their own cars, and living at home. Two families across the street have three cars, plus each child has or will have a car. They are automatically over the arbitrary limit. The HOA claims this is a "Quality of Life Issue", to justify it, but in reality, it is a veiled attempt to prevent the new homeowners of the Orthodox Jewish community from having family and guests park in the street, when celebrating their Sabath. It won't take long for the First Amendment Lawsuits to be filed, and that will cost the entire community a fortune, due to the bigotry of the HOA Board.

Just another incentive to sell the place as quickly as possible.

71°, cloudy with a 30% chance of rain overnight. Tomorrow, 84°, cloudy, 50% chance of rain.

After 38 years of relative obscurity, our HOA is erupting into a royal pain in the ass. They are trying to restrict parking to two cars / household. They are mailing out two parking permit tags to each household... Wait until the 💩 hits the fan, when they try to enforce it. :rolleyes: This is not a gated community, it is a subdivision of free standing single family homes, property owners own to the curb and are responsible for maintaining their own exterior property, including driveways and sidewalks. The township owns and maintains the streets, including streetlights, which are maintained by the power utility. All the HOA is responsible for is the storm drainage basins and the unbuildable wetlands, and the maintenance thereof. That's what our annual fee is for.

Really doesn't bother me, we currently have 1 car, kept inside the garage. I have no intention of displaying the tags, or in any other way co-operating with the board. I'll pay the annual fee, until I move on. The ones impacted by this are the two + car families with older kids who have their own cars, and living at home. Two families across the street have three cars, plus each child has or will have a car. They are automatically over the arbitrary limit. The HOA claims this is a "Quality of Life Issue", to justify it, but in reality, it is a veiled attempt to prevent the new homeowners of the Orthodox Jewish community from having family and guests park in the street, when celebrating their Sabath. It won't take long for the First Amendment Lawsuits to be filed, and that will cost the entire community a fortune, due to the bigotry of the HOA Board.

I was in an HOA with my 1st house. After a few years of increasing BS and the main Witch on the board living 3 doors down from me I started going to HOA board meetings with their by-laws in hand. Every time they tried to enforce a new rule I was there to point out what was and what wasn't under their purview. Guess who was becoming the P.I.A. now?
The funny thing was after the witch quit the board she still was ignorant toward me and the kids. We both had kids on the same little league teams, her husband and I were assistant coaches who would arrive to games and practices straight from work. I would bring her son from games or practice, but she wouldn't reciprocate. Her son Kyle was amazed as well as her husband. This led to my kids having the final word by singing a song from South Park on their front lawn at the top of their lungs one Saturday.
I caught her husband laughing!

Apparently in Whitefish there is a fair every tuesday and i just couldn't leave this one alone-for those of you with curious taste:View attachment 172345
You can have yourself a Gator sandwich.
It was good:D

I know it's been awhile since I did a house update. I've been trying to get folks to get here and do things. The roof dry-in was like 3-4 weeks ago and I've been tring to get the plumber to at least come do the vents since then. The electricians did get started and have most of the easy stuff in the basement done and a lot of the boxes and some wire pulled on the main floor but they've not been here since last Tuesday.

The plumber did text me end of last week that he thought they could get started this week. I also need to do some grading in the back so that the geothermal shafts can be drilled and also so footings and slab for the back enclosed porch can be done and that guy finally called me today so hopefully something is moving there.

This pic is from a few weeks ago but nothing on the front outside has happened since.

View attachment 172312

The framer boss was here this morning to go over whatever niggly things are left for them to fix. Hopefully that gets done soon.

My son and I did a window last Saturday. I have not sealed it yet nor flashed the sides and top after sealing. I did use a liquid waterproof membrane as a type of waterproof flashing around the whole window frame before we started (the gray you can see) and did a good flashing on the bottom and the bottom part of the sides... This is a hopper (in tilting) in a toilet room. The latch on it was loose so I need to contact the maker to see how to fix that and then seal and flash it. Will try and get more windows done this week -- need to find someone with a truck to help me pick some up from my storage. The siding guy and his team were going to do my windows first but he texted me last week that he had injured his shoulder and had to have rotator cuff surgery a week or so ago and so couldn't do the windows. I have a couple places to call that the home builder friend who is helping me with the job use that I will call tomorrow but if I can get some more in it will save me some...

View attachment 172316

Random interior shots showing wire and boxes from the electricians

View attachment 172313View attachment 172314View attachment 172315
Going to be well worth every bit of inconvenience in the future. Looks like a great home in the making. Just keep after the contractors and don't pay anybody up front for their work. Get all the material up front and on the job and them give them pay for that. Otherwise they won't come back and fix any problems or not come back at all and your left holding the bag. Old story around here. Pete

If the HOA was voted in by the residents they can be voted out again. That will improve your quality of life a lot. If the HOA was in place when you moved in there probably isn't much you can do about the problem. I wish you good fortune in selling your home if you have to. Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back