Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Op session went very well today.
The Dispatcher Table was the most instrumental to keeping things moving at the right time and in the right direction. My guestimates of how long it would take for each train crew to complete their assignments was within minutes of real time so trains were leaving the classification yard right on schedule.
Dispatcher table is the way to go with op session planning and execution.

Good evening.
The Thermostat From Hell has been exorcised from my wall, and the programmable thermostat has been reinstated. It's currently 75 degrees inside my house, which is what I wanted. Anybody wants a Nest thermostat, let me know. I'll make you a deal.
The next is kind of surreal. I'm not sure exactly what to make of it.
Back in June, I attended a nephew's high school graduation. The laptop I was using suffered a catastrophic drive failure. It turned into something of a Charlie Foxtrot, between trying to deal with that, the graduation, the dinner, party, etc, etc, swapping laptop for one that worked, but it was the wrong one, so I had to go back again (twice) to get one that was what it purported to be, and worked.
Fast forward to late this afternoon, when a Fedwrex truck pulled into my driveway. The driver hopped out, and handed me a box from The Geeks. I was puzzled, since I hadn't ordered anything from them. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box, and found the original laptop that failed in June. I plugged it in and turned it on, and it works fine. In fact, I'm typing this post using it. The order sheet that was with it told me what was done, namely, replace SSD, load OS, and test operation. "Amount Due: $0.00. Warranty repair". I think I'd remember if I accidentally spent an extra grand at that time, but you never know...

Good morning from Nova Scotia, ‘Canada’s ocean playground’…..I think British Columbia gives us a run for our money on that title, but it’s on our license plate. Being to both places, I find Nova Scotia does have the nicer beaches for sure, but BC has the scenery as well and more killer whales.

29 deg Celsius expected again today, it will be a day in the pool I suspect. Had a campfire last night and saw a wicked fireball, was online this morning and suspect it was something burning up as compared to a fireball, but it was one of the coolest and longest burning ones I have ever seen from here and we have seen a couple up here over the years. Long orange chunks burning for more than 5 seconds, maybe 10.

Finished the night by watching Team Canada win the world junior championship, great win!

Anyways hope you all have a great day!

ANyone familiar with Trainsetsonly.com ? Had some decent prices on rolling stock, so I dabbled in "Applied Retail Therapy."

Second question - - anyone built the Tichy rail Crane? I'm wondering if "over 200 parts" might be a bit advanced for me, but I do need a nice project as wifeykins will have several business trips this fall. But the idea is for a project to keep me OUT of the bottle ... not drive me into one!

Second question - - anyone built the Tichy rail Crane? I'm wondering if "over 200 parts" might be a bit advanced for me, but I do need a nice project as wifeykins will have several business trips this fall. But the idea is for a project to keep me OUT of the bottle ... not drive me into one!
At least you'll have a Winter project to keep you busy this coming Winter.
Remember, measure twice, cut once...

Good Morning All. Overcast and 77° and humid. Rain likely, as it is around but just not here. Weather people really don't know what is happening or when. Really widespread thundershowers west of here stretching all the way to New Mexico although nothing seems heavy, yet. Supposedly we've reached our high temperature for the day. We are under a flash flood watch due to longevity, not due to severity.

It probably won't rain here today since I spent part of yesterday putting away all of the yard tools; electric mower, chain saw, weedeater and shredder. I backwashed the pool in case the rain should raise the water level, and then balanced all of the chemicals. The only thing that I failed to do, but I can do this morning, is to put the vinyl cover over the grill/smoker. After Mass today, I plan to preserve more tomatoes from the bumper picking last week.

Thanks for the likes and responses yesterday to some of my recent posts; Sherrel, Karl, Tom O, Louis, Patrick, Rick, Gary, Curt, Joe, Tom, Smudge, OB Ken, Chad, Hughie, Guy.

Out in the train shed I did some more work on the chain link fence around the gas station. I need about another 30 minutes to complete that. I finished assembling the walls that I have ready for the newspaper office that will surround the backdrop end.
IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

There is an issue, something is out of whack.
IMG_1521.JPG

One wall just doesn't butt up against the backdrop. I'll have to look at that further. The wall on the structure is straight and square. I don't know if the backdrop is plumb or the layout surface is not level, but I will find out today and hopefully correct it. Layout levelness is correctable, plumbness of the backdrop is not possible. Disguising the issue might be an answer since it is 3' from normal viewing angle and has a 32" overhang above it.

Tom O - The FB advice on the real world, while correct all of the way, shouldn't get in the way of YOUR railroad. While you didn't ask, the only thing I disapprove of is the orientation of the propane tanks. I personally would have a separate facility for propane. But it's OK not to be OK!
Curt - We have security cameras that send text messages whenever they detect motion. Had to turn that feature off immediately since we got messages every time the branches on nearby trees wavered, or the cat darted across the yard.
Ken (D&J) - Waiting for the videos and pictures from the ops session. Your videos are very good.
Terry - It's about time that you had a good day, thermostat and laptop!
Steve J - No to both questions.

Everyone have a great day.

Morning Everyone - Including those who cut large slices of Pizza and others who swap out thermostats. We are looking at 64 currently and a 90 later on. The forecast weather says mostly Sunny and breezy for today (might see a cloud with the mostly).

Coffee in the corner here, MEL - I'll wait on some of the others to order?

anyone built the Tichy rail Crane? I'm wondering if "over 200 parts" might be a bit advanced for me, but I do need a nice project as wifeykins will have several business trips this fall.
Steve: I have one, still in the sealed box, waiting for me to acquire some patience. I don't know if this will help, but on one of the other MR forums, several years ago, someone blogged his build of both the derrick and the boom car. perhaps, you could Google and find the article. One thing I remember, and this is reassuring, is that the instructions are quite clear, and Tichy is a going concern, so mistakes are not insurmountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back