Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got back to the layout again and was able to get to the LHS, I can’t believe how much foam roadbed I will need. I am going to buy stock in the foam roadbed company….lol

Grabbed a cold one and glued down some more foam finally

7E8FCD24-515A-4D76-9D19-08C8F5A1E621.jpeg

17582FA1-BF5A-44AF-A557-0068414C04E2.jpeg

Good morning all,

Had a few hours to get outside. Grass finally needed mowing; it's been over six weeks since last cutting. Neighbor was outside using an axe and a chainsaw working on a big stump in his back yard. We chatted about how hot the summer has been and both agreed it was nice to start getting outside again. Made a voyage repair. Ran over an apparently too-large piece of branch (leftover from the big one that came down). Mower didn't like it. So had to stop and wheel to garage. Removed a metal frame bit and rebent into mostly proper shape and reinstalled. Mower worked much better.

Enjoyed a barley pop after that just before the rains came. Cleaned up and headed down to work. But not feeling it and tired, so put on an old movie.

Then got busy and was able to get all of the remaining feeders soldered before wife returned from her outing with youngest daughter. Light dinner, TV, and then bed just as another line of storms rolled in. Slept well and now prepping for church.

No pictures, this morning. I have a VFW event this afternoon and then kids coming over for early dinner. So tomorrow will be next train work. Then I should be able to finish wiring the feeder drops and test run the entire yard.

I don't do videos. Living in a fishbowl, I have too many people of my church with whom I am hesitant on sharing the details of some aspects of my private life. I have learned to be very generic on FB and am leery of others learning about this new hobby or my wargaming (John Tiller games). "Oh, pastor has time (and money) for model railroading AND golf in the summer? We must pay him too much."

So do not expect op videos of the yard functioning, much as I would enjoy sharing it with you.

I got some good tips regarding my PSX circuit breakers on the DIgitrax Users website, so ordered some two terminal blocks which get soldered onto the printed circuit board. Never done that, so yet another new skill to learn. But got a good tip for that as well. But those show a Wed. delivery via Amazon, so might not get that done before the long weekend. WIfe and I are heading out of town to Stillwater, MN for the long weekend for some much needed R&R. Should be a nice weekend for reconnecting and enjoying each other. We have a strict 'no devices' policy for get-aways, so will be incommunicado.

It was on our last get away in January that I did much reading and designing for the layout. This time, I think I might leave all train hobby related items behind and get my mind off the layout. Might help for some new ideas when I do return.

Hope all have a great day ---------Steve J

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 72° here in North Central Texas. NWS has removed the chance of rain from our forecast for today and redirected it to the Gulf Coast. Still kinda warm here yesterday, but today's high is only expected to be 90°, gradually rising through the week. I've completed my hurricane prep, but with the likely path, it won't hit here anyway. We sometimes get outlying showers from them, but they have to make landfall further to the west between Beaumont/Port Arthur and Galveston/Houston

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the mini-scenes made with my first phone cam shots; Christian, Karl, Justin, Guy, Rick, Tom, Tom O, Steve J, Sherrel, Hughie, Chet, Curt, Patrick.

Sausage and biscuits with southern cream gravy for me this morning Flo. Just OJ on the side.

I made some progress out in the train shed yesterday. I did some more work on the gravel parking area around McSoreley's Old Ale House now that I have the fine gray ballast.
IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7445.JPG

I'll next work on the rear of the structure.
Meanwhile, while that was setting up, I moved over to the workbench to start detailing a Gulf service station that I have in Maultown. The kit itself is a City Classics kit.
IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

I already had this detailing kit from JL Innovative Design.
IMG_7448.JPG

It's a combination of laser-cut wood parts and white metal castings.
I started with making a floor from cardstock.
IMG_7449.JPG

The gray concrete floor doesn't look very good, but it will not really be seen in the completed scenario.
I added the interior wall, but that picture isn't very good. Here it is anyway.
IMG_7450.JPG

After that I spent a while filing the flash off the seven bigger parts shown on the left above. That took some time and I stopped there because it was time to hit the pool before firing up the grill. I do the smaller parts next and then wash and prime everything.

Sherrel - It might be hard to beat the weather in your locale anywhere else without being a little more humid, ie. 50 or so miles from the Gulf Coast somewhere. But then there are hurricanes!
Guy -
I suppose her calling me a grumpy old man is the truth.
Join the club! ;)
I especially like the General Store.
Chet - That's too bad about the layout bugaboo. Good luck with the next one.
Hughie - I have to agree with you on the Bar Mills kit instructions. They always start out great, but trail off as you progress through the steps. Something that I have gotten used to, but I love their kits so much that I overlook it. Besides I have built enough of them to anticipate what comes next.
Steve J -
We must pay him too much."
It came as a shock to me sometime in the mid-60's to learn that the Catholic priests at our church actually got paid! Especially since they lived in a rectory and had meals for free as well. My Dad actually tithed bourbon and scotch to the pastor and some of the other priests!

Everybody have a great day.

I know Troy probably suffers from "inner proof-reader" like I do, it's what happens when you write for $$$, and your spelling has to be good.
I on the other hand have just typed on my iPad / iPhone the spell Coker had laughed itself silly and I am being asked to go do an important chore so I fail fail fail to reread and just press reply…..I must annoy the heck out of people.l.land often confuse the poop out of my post……apologies, and your welcome when they turn out funny…haha…..not funny odd get this woman a straight jacket….grins….

Good morning all,

I don't do videos. Living in a fishbowl, I have too many people of my church with whom I am hesitant on sharing the details of some aspects of my private life. I have learned to be very generic on FB and am leery of others learning about this new hobby or my wargaming (John Tiller games). "Oh, pastor has time (and money) for model railroading AND golf in the summer? We must pay him too much."

Hope all have a great day ---------Steve J
Steve, you can take a page from me in that regard. I have both FB and Youtube accounts, and make sure I don't have anything personally identifiable in them. It can be a pain as far as videos, to make sure all the shots are very tight and close-cropped, and that I don't specify where exactly I live, but I do get to share some of my work that way.
My FB account is a modification of my name, and YT has no info, other than "United States".

18952239-A3CE-4FA8-9D61-198AF19AA8B3.jpeg

also cheap models on a layout have simply tonnes of potential I have seen several people repaint these making them look so much better, a little effort goes a long way,
4B481480-2244-4545-8B9E-56D06164B17A.jpeg

18FC2102-F14C-433D-A9CE-570BD7219EFF.jpeg

moved to the just out of focus you can get away with murder
and animals also I like Peko,cheap, poorly painted but have tonnes and tonnes of potential
485F75E7-6495-4B54-B243-40462750D747.jpeg
9ED1EC36-6701-4859-AB68-D3DA00BA0650.jpeg
4CAD7619-772E-44FD-A8CD-2CD47AD76E3B.jpeg

5B12C71B-BE57-41FE-BB3B-7143BD896BA0.jpeg

I painted the gap in the tail black but green to match the grass would be better

Good morning from a very nice cooler less humid morning in So. Central Wisconsin. After a week of brutal humidity today is supposed to be better. High temperature today should be 83. The heat returns tomorrow.

Yesterday, the gang of riders went to the quarry on the property that my SIL turned into a very nice picnic and swim area plus a great shaded paddock for the horses. It was fun watching the kids swim in the old quarry like they had never seen water before. Every kid there, 8 of them, have pools in there yards. Heck, even I went in and played water volleyball.

I stopped by the wood lot where the crews are storing the fire wood from fallen trees on the property the last few years. There is over 1000 cords of wood cut split and stacked. The crew still has a list of around 50 trees that have to come down or are down very close to the riding trails. The crew is 6 people that work all year round and mainly do the tree work in the winter but the tornado that hit Verona got many trees on the property. You can tell the SIL is an analyst. The trees are sorted by species and by the year they fell and the date they were cut and split. We have sold firewood by word of mouth but it looks like advertising maybe next. We split the money from sales 7 ways. Each of the 6 plus me get a part. Keeps the guys happy.

layout, got nothing done yesterday that even I can notice. Today the friend, my grandson (7yrs old) will add tacky glue to the tree branches. The grandson loves this part, he gets so messy even with his gloves and apron on. We start applying the tacky glue and will go 2-3 hours and what we started with then will be ready for fiber netting or foliage that is next. While the g/s likes being with the adults he will disappear and play with grandma as he really dislikes this part. Leaves won’t happen until Wednesday or Thursday night.

track, even with Greg’s help yesterday I was striking out. Couple places he gave me were closed by the time I was able to call them yesterday, but I will get to them. Thanks Greg. So, I ordered wood ties for 150’ of track, enough code 83 rail for 297’ x .5 = 148.5’ of track plus hopefully enough spikes. I have 4 tie strips for 2 left and 2 right hand turnouts but no useable frogs. I want the frogs made up not construct my own. The Proto store will be my next online look in.

I have the next 60’ of basic land forms done and the ROW is/was waiting for cork roadbed. What I had laid down is coming up carefully I hope as cork doesn’t work well with handlaid track. A 4’x8’ sheet of 5/8” mold resistance drywall is $15.00 at the Home Depot. Hopefully the SIL is picking it up for me now. There is a group in western Wisconsin that swear by its use as roadbed, now I will find out.

structures, I want a city and have admired what Willie has built as others have too. I want a hillside city over looking the tracks, similar to Dubuque, Iowa and other Mississippi River cities north of St. Louis. So while doing retail therapy online yesterday I ordered a few kits. I ordered some modern and some of the Merchant row kits, 1, 2 and 5. I ordered too much but what the heck. Those are being sent to Maui as I will need something to do this fall in paradise. Except for hobby shops I have always disliked shopping. But, I love shopping online and it can become addictive.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, have a great day
TomO

Morning fellers. Hope everyone is doing well. Started working on my GP7 last night. Had a grab iron go flying! So that was short lived. Will be scouring the floor today for it. Should be easier to find than a Kadee coupler spring. Which I have been able to find in the past. Push come to shove I'll rob one off of another shell. I really don't wanna do that though. That's all I have for now. I'll stop by later if I get a chance.

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 94, with a feels like of 105.
I finished trimming the bushes this morning, and just completed the lawn mowing. The landlord let me know he didn't care if I was able to perform those tasks personally, or needed to hire somebody else, but he wants it mowed and neatly trimmed because he has somebody coming to look at the place this week.

Afternoon All,

Spent the day at Dad's. I dumped 4 lawn bags of useless stuff in the garbage and SIL came over and I helped him load several pieces of furniture into his pickup (glad I didn't have to unload it). After getting home I cleaned the newly ballasted track but didn't run anything because I was beat. Got cleaned up and here I sit. Tomorrow I have to take Dad to DMV, Post Office, and get his Pfizer booster shot at CVS.

Talked to Phil today and he's doing well.

Hughie- Nice looking structure.

Gary- Looks like you're making real progress.

Willie- Nice looking buildings and scenes.

Jaz- Nice job on the painting.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back