Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a Taylor Ham? Don't think I have ever had?

Sherrel: North and Central Jersey name for Taylor Pork Roll.

At the risk of offending Jerseyites, it is essentially Spam made by the Taylor Company. It is not legally able to be called Ham, but the term has stuck for years. It is basically a pork roll.

Willie: Essentially Pork made into Processed meat by Taylor Provision Co and Case Provisions and other processors based around Trenton, the State Capital, and originator of Tomato Pies (Not Pizza), Italian Hot dogs and other delicious food products not otherwise good for you.

In South Jersey they call it Taylor Pork Roll, in the rest of the state, it's Taylor Ham, 1, Because it's made by Taylor, and 2, because it is made with pork. Pork = Ham. It is normally a breakfast delicacy used as an alternative to bacon, regular ham, or sausage. My preference is a sandwich on a Portuguese Roll (Fresh from a bakery on either Ferry St, or Wilson Ave, in Newark), served with eggs and home fries plus coffee, as served from the Polka Dot lunch truck on Delancy St, (access road to Oak Island). Other delis also offer this particular sandwich, the closest charging a healthy $9.55

Occasionally, I'll get a few Portuguese Rolls, and fry up sliced potatoes,eggs and Taylor Ham, and enjoy all the cholesterol.;)

One correction, Willie, that being Spam comes in a can, and has no appreciable taste. Taylor Ham comes in formed in a cloth bag, or sliced in shrink wrap for freshness. Taylor ham has spices and flavor. The only similarity is that both are processed pork products.

Long Haul at Fair Hill (Philadelphia).jpg

Northward Amtrak from the South at Fair Hill (Philadelphia), during the Winter of 1976 - 1977, which was very cold and snowy.
N12 working at Metuchen.jpg

Symbol Freight N-12 (Morrisville - Waverly), working on the Naught at Lincoln during Penn Central Days. Metuchen served the Edison Ford Plant, Raritan Arsenal, and numerous Industrial parks.
WT #63 Summer 1963 past Woodies Warehouse..jpg

WT # 63 Ivy City Drill drags B&O equipment past Woodward & Lothrup Warehouse on New York Ave, in DC. Summer, 1963.

I wouldn't walk on it even if the left all the formwork under it. Try this new chinese one on for size, 13+ minutes

Some of those are wild. What is interesting is that little kids seem to have the least issues with walking on the glass floors.

I've walked on that sort of thing a couple times and absolutely hated it. And I was not out on a huge open air bridge.

The first time was in Japan. There is a road bridge from Awaji Island to Naruto on Shikoku -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōnaruto_Bridge . There are these crazy tidal whirlpools under the bridge and there is a observation deck under the road bridge and you can walk on this observation level several hundred meters out to where you can observe the whirlpools. They have several sections as you walk out that are glass floored. First time I was walking along and had not noticed the glass floor then when walking on it I looked down and almost had a heart attack.

They also have glass floor bits on the observation decks at the Tokyo Skytree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Skytree TV tower and again my brain revolts against walking out on them. And at the observation deck of Taipei 101 in Taiwan -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_101 . Again, I don't like it.

I cannot imagine walking on those Chinese ones. Especially the ones with the LCD embedded with the cracking effects.

Last edited:
Sherrel- Interesting photos. To verify the Frisco modified a 2-10-2 into a Mountain (4-8-2)?
YEAH, CURT -- The FRISCO had 50 of the 2-10-2 monsters which were slow 25mph and just beat the track up trying to go any faster. They couldn't get the power they needed for the oil trains due to the wartime production - so they decided to remodel them to the 4300 series 4-8-2 type.
1597709701620.png

Interstate #6105 on the tail of a BNSF hopper train, being pushed up Bozeman. An uncommon visitor to the MRL tracks. A GE engine, but of which type from several that basicly look the same. Can't notice a Reporting Mark to find out. Leasing Co probably. EDIT: See Karl's reply, post #388, two below for updated info. And my acknowledgement @ 391.

1597737700998.png

Last edited:
I cannot imagine walking on those Chinese ones. Especially the ones with the LCD embedded with the cracking effects.
Especially as they don't "crack" until you step on them. I know they have the safety railings, but some people leap up them in such fright, It's a wonder some don't go right over, wonder if any have. The ones near the end where you have to step across boards with gaps even though you're held by a cable, eek

Interstate #6105 on the tail of a BNSF hopper train, being pushed up Bozeman. An uncommon visitor to the MRL tracks. A GE engine, but of which type from several that basicly look the same. Can't notice a Reporting Mark to find out. Leasing Co probably.

View attachment 116297
That would be a Norfolk Southern heritage unit. Odd that it is so far from home rails, but power is power!
images.jpeg

Morning all,

Time for the blue plate special and coffee this morning. Thanks Flo!

Supposed to be sunny and 90* later today, with the exception of the humidity being below 50% for the first time in a while. Currently clear and 63*.
Got home last night and really didn't do much, after making supper (first one home makes it, and the wife is working 11 hour days) and then cleaning up the kitchen, we went to bed early. It was a Monday...lol

Found this video about a Great Northern NW5:

Hope you enjoy it.

Good Morning All. Clear and 72° in this neighborhood. Looks like this cooler weather is going to stick around for a while, highs in the low 90's and lows in the upper 60's today through Friday. The forecast shows another "norther" blowing through in about two or three hours, although not like the one Sunday night. I need to dust off the tractor this morning and resume mowing after a week or so off. My time will be limited starting Thursday when my wife has her other knee replacement surgery done. This one is going to be in an outpatient clinic, so she'll be coming home later in the day. Additional household chores as well as feeding that infernal ice-water circulator throughout the day.
I spent well over an hour yesterday, dredging storm debris out of the pool after the 50 mph winds Sunday night. Along with the usual stuff, I found leaves from cottonwood trees that are over 150' to the north! Had to travel over the pond and the roof of the train shed to reach the pool.

I'll go for the Southwest breakfast special this morning Francine. A couple of burritos with sausage, egg, cheese and hash-browns; with spicy salsa and re-fried beans on the side.

Thanks for the comments and reactions to yesterday's post regarding the ground cover application; Jerome, Guy, Phil, Sherrel, Bob, James Garry, Patrick, Chad, Karl, Tom, Joe, Tom O.

I only did a minor amount of modeling in the SFW train shed yesterday. I mostly worked the heck out of my HO engineers. I ran three switching runs and about a dozen staging to staging through trains, interspersed to make things interesting. I am sort of working out various switching schemes in a couple of towns that I don't switch too often.
Modeling-wise, I did drill some post holes and install some more fencing around the piggyback facility. Almost done. I also cleaned up stray ground cover and redefined some rough concrete edges on the parking pad. But alas! I have no clue as to where I might have laid the camera down, so progress reports will have to wait.
Meanwhile I can go back to the archives for some museum pictures from last year. But let's change museums! These are from the Foley Railroad Museum in Foley AL.
I have shown many pictures of their large O scale layout, and I'll re-post some of them later. But today I'll focus on the real thing on display outdoors.
09-27-19 trip 138.JPG

09-27-19 trip 139.JPG

09-27-19 trip 140.JPG

09-27-19 trip 141.JPG

09-27-19 trip 129.JPG

09-27-19 trip 142.JPG

Unfortunately none of these cars have accurate paint schemes on them, but they are interesting nonetheless.

Patrick -
Roof isn't yet attached, but sitting on it for now.
I don't usually attach roofs with anything other than Woodland Scenics Scenic Accent Glue occasionally. It's the non-permanent "repositionable" type of glue. A couple of reasons for me. It sometimes is easier to dust, vacuum and clean them; and I may want to add interior detailing later on.
Sherrel - So good to read that Kate is feeling better.
the ants come searching for water
I give them water, I pour boiling water on the mounds. Quick, easy and doesn't poison the yard for the dogs. If you see hundreds of dead bodies the next day, do it again since you didn't kill the queen who directed the workers to remove them.
Curt - Just wondering if you have the polarity reversed on the TT track. I know absolutely know nothing about TT's so I am just guessing.
Karl -
That would be a Norfolk Southern heritage unit. Odd that it is so far from home rails, but power is power!
I regularly see NS power on BNSF and KCS trains here in Texas. Never saw a heritage unit though. That's a nice looking engine.

I am beginning to miss Chet's posts. I hope that he is OK. I am also not seeing anything current from Ken in MD. I know that his wife is a doctor and I hope that they are also OK. Also MIA is Mikey.

Today is National Fajita Day. Get the grill ready and have a few Coronas.
Stay safe and have a great day.

Good Morning, Everyone! Clear skies with the rising sun at 55F, on the way up to 85 today. A bit of a scorcher for the north country. My front lawn facing due south, is getting the crap burnt out of it; turning a dead looking yellow. - Just means I don't have to mow much anymore this year.

Sherrel - The bare-bum floater makes for a good campfire yarn, and I enjoy that type of story. Well done. - I'm very happy to hear the wife is on the mend.
Willie - Very nice museum photos. I don't know why museums often pretty-up displays with false paint jobs. They do it to airplanes all the time too. I would think a museum would strive for accuracy over presentation; but, I guess not.
Karl - I can usually click on a photo for a larger version, so I can get a good look. Don't work on your heritage unit photo though; I don't know why.
Curt - Good progress on the build.

Spent a very hot family day at the corn maze grounds in west Edmonton yesterday. It was enjoyable, with many activities available for the G-kids.
I was more interested in the collection of vintage JD tractors on display, and I took a bunch of photos of those machines. Here's one:
JD Tractor_08-17-2020 (1).jpg

And another:
JD Tractor_08-17-2020 (2).jpg

I don't know why, but, I like tractors as well as trains and airplanes.

I've also started taking close-ups of certain signs, just in case I want to make them into layout signs in the future. Here's a JD photo, taken from the hood of a tractor:
Sign_08-17-2020.JPG

Have a great day, everyone!

Good Morning, Everyone! Clear skies with the rising sun at 55F, on the way up to 85 today. A bit of a scorcher for the north country. My front lawn facing due south, is getting the crap burnt out of it; turning a dead looking yellow. - Just means I don't have to mow much anymore this year.

Sherrel - The bare-bum floater makes for a good campfire yarn, and I enjoy that type of story. Well done. - I'm very happy to hear the wife is on the mend.
Willie - Very nice museum photos. I don't know why museums often pretty-up displays with false paint jobs. They do it to airplanes all the time too. I would think a museum would strive for accuracy over presentation; but, I guess not.
Karl - I can usually click on a photo for a larger version, so I can get a good look. Don't work on your heritage unit photo though; I don't know why.
Curt - Good progress on the build.

Spent a very hot family day at the corn maze grounds in west Edmonton yesterday. It was enjoyable, with many activities available for the G-kids.
I was more interested in the collection of vintage JD tractors on display, and I took a bunch of photos of those machines. Here's one:
View attachment 116307
And another:
View attachment 116308

I've also started taking close-ups of certain signs, just in case I want to make them into layout signs in the future. Here's a JD photo, taken from the hood of a tractor:
View attachment 116309

I use this 1972 model daily:

Attachments

• 1C8ECB1A-FC9C-4D30-A4B9-16532DDEE52B.jpeg
    1C8ECB1A-FC9C-4D30-A4B9-16532DDEE52B.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 136
Good morning America, how are ya? Riley is improving a little. Still running a slight fever but he's eating and drinking better, so we'll take every little bit we can.

I'll take an order of what Willie is having.

View attachment 116309

I agree about the tractors, not so much the planes, though. Good idea about the pictures for making signs! Miss not going to tractor pulls.

Terry-does that Massey have the Multi-Power transmission? When I was a teen, I helped a buddy of mine work on his dad's farm. They had a Massey 1100 with the Multi-Power transmission. When you had it in low Multi-Power, it was free wheeling on a down grade. That meant NO engine braking and I only forgot about that ONE time! A real eye opening experience that involved a high degree of pucker factor!:eek:

Got to run.............wife says I need to trim our maltipoo's hair. He is looking pretty shaggy! I have become their groomer since the virus has hit. Getting better at it each time. Later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back