Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting together all the final papers for wife's Medicaid application today. Have to drop them off at the lawyer office. Her medical insurance runs out 04/28 I'll be glad when this is over. Geting rid of 2 banks accounts after this gets done. No reason to have 4 bank accounts going. Just never closed the ones from 30 years ago. I'm going to sub in the Pawling golf league tonight for a friend who's still wintering in FL. I'll be getting in the skins and closest to the pin. $7.00 to enter.
Swal

Last edited:
I am getting forgetful. There was a major 15 minute event yesterday!

We did close on the new property acquisition in the afternoon. 950 mol acres added to the inventory of which 500+ acres is woodland. The surveyors will be working the next few weeks on dividing 400 acres into a subdivision of 5 acres lots. We will keep 100 acres for our family. 20% of the 400 planned acres (80) must stay as green space. We are hoping with roads added that we have 60 lots.

The neighbor could not have been nicer or more appreciative. He did say he spoke to the family that his financial business is his business. I know the son is still ticked off but too bad. The neighbor told me the son now wants to stop farming and sell off his farmlands. Not my concern.

Enjoy
Congratulations on the land purchase!

Do you know if the person that named the model liked bad puns, or was it a nickname that later stuck?

No idea, but it was the name the minute they were born. I used to travel on them going to Harrogate. The upper deck had a lower walkway on the offside, from back to the front of the bus, then had to step up to bench seats to sit down. To me, as a young lad, they were a novelty and I liked them because of that.

The neighbor told me the son now wants to stop farming and sell off his farmlands. Not my concern.
I'm not much on the subdivision of farm/forest lands either but that is what conservation easements and zoning are all about. To each their own. We put a conservation easement on half our place in 1996. Whether or not the other half joins it is still up in the air. The land trust that holds the original easement wanted to do the rest three years back but were not in anyway forthcoming with where their appraisal value came from so we didn't proceed. Last year I finally spent a considerable sum and got a real appraisal on the entire property. About 40% more than their valuation.

I have to admit I'm pretty attached to the property and would like to see it stay in one piece. With 1.5 miles abutting Forest Service, it offers a lot of privacy. It would be nice to still be around for another 3 1/2 years to celebrate my family's 100th anniversary of ownership.

Troy. I would go for two tunnels. They look to be going in different directions.
A single tunnel would imo look unrealistic bearing in mind one inch actual wide is 87 inches model wide.
Let me clarify. I'll have two tunnel openings. The elevations are different for each line.

But, do I cut one BIG hole in the backdrop encompassing both tunnel portals? Then scenic it up into two tunnel openings once I know the lines are permanent? Or do I cut two holes, and risk needing to cut them again, widening them, or relocating them as needed with the design process?

Remember please, that I'm doing this the "Normal Guy" way, a la Steve Brown from "It's My Railroad" on youtube. Rough sketch for idea, then see how hit looks on the table. Adjust/redesign as needed.

Since the back side of the backdrop (facing the Yard side) isn't in place, I've got a lot of wiggle room for the yard access tunnel.

Troy. Sorry I misunderstood.

Make life easy for yourself with one hole in the backdrop. The challenge doing that is, are you going to photograph the yard in operation?
If so, hide the opening with scenery yet keeping easy access.
If not going to photograph it, then anything goes'.

Let me clarify. I'll have two tunnel openings. The elevations are different for each line.

But, do I cut one BIG hole in the backdrop encompassing both tunnel portals? Then scenic it up into two tunnel openings once I know the lines are permanent? Or do I cut two holes, and risk needing to cut them again, widening them, or relocating them as needed with the design process?

Remember please, that I'm doing this the "Normal Guy" way, a la Steve Brown from "It's My Railroad" on youtube. Rough sketch for idea, then see how hit looks on the table. Adjust/redesign as needed.

Since the back side of the backdrop (facing the Yard side) isn't in place, I've got a lot of wiggle room for the yard access tunnel.
Why not put a scenery block between the tunnels?It could then look like two different places, theoretically miles apart.

Hello Happy Members !
I drew an extremely complicated plan for my new layout. It took me several months. I'm very pleased with the result. :p

3000.jpg

After a day to think about it, instead of putting Baron's Ridge back up into storage, I have brought it inside and have decided to update and refurbish it. New backscene and redoing the scenic areas in the foreground are the main priority along with a general tidy up.

New backscene already ordered!!
View attachment 186409
John your plank scenes are very nice. Can you connect one plank to others and run a small train through the scenes?

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with animal chores then cleaned the sidewalk, driveway, and vinal back fence (put up by HOA behind my house). That finished my desire to do anything else today. Tomorrow, I am doing the weed killer spraying. Fun times.

Chad- You definitely have a full plate.

Bill- Cool photo of the rail jeep and our allies.

Patrick- You got a lot of use from those brakes.

Willie- Good looking structure.

Guy- Did you spray paint all the parts before starting? I use either a flat off white or light gray. The flat finish is rough, and the craft paint can bond with it.

jumpton2000- Great looking diorama.

Troy- The 2 tunnels are very close to each other and limits the room on the inside of the tracks for car swing, and looking at it I don't think 2 will work (as is). You said one is a higher elevation which means you could extend the "mountain" for one of the tracks to separate the two tunnels. I did this method on my last layout. Just a couple of ideas.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening all,

2 warp-ed rotors, but I knew I had one. Car doesn't stop any better, but doesn't shake slightly either. Sitting on 68,000+ on the trucks brakes. Not looking forward to changing the front rotors when it's time. The '09 Colorado cost $900 just for the front set as they have a captive rotor setup that requires you to take the hubs off to get to the retaining screws\bolts.

Got somemore minor planting done along with getting the painting done on the outside of the house. Still have that second coat in the bedroom to accomplish.

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps.

Back from the audiologist. New hearing aids to be picked up Friday.

Referral to the ENT doc confirmed. One ear has greater than a 25 db diff in some ranges than the other ear. That's a "you need to get checked out"

Good thing I secured that 8 week out appointment with the ENT doc. Sounds like an MRI or CAT scan is on the horizon.

Anectodotal evidence but getting the programming on the aids updated seems to be helping. I'll let you know how tonight's bedtime goes.

Beverage of the adult variety is a Creole: Rye Whisky, Ammaro, Sw Vermouth, Benedictine and Orange Bitters. Yummmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back